budesonide for cats?
    Oscar's mom is offline New Member

Question budesonide for cats?

My 8 yr old cat has IBS, so after two years of his frequent bouts of suffering and trying other meds. we resorted to Prednisone. He soon became lethargic and very disinterested in life, food or play. His coat got matted and we ultimately determined that he had diabetes. Suspecting the Prednisone, we weaned him off it, and after a few weeks of insulin, his blood sugar returned to normal. The vet then put him on a tiny, daily dose of formulary mixed Budesonide. I also changed his food to all natural, human grade foods and treats.

He has had a miraculous recovery in just a few short weeks! He is bright eyed, attentive, playful and happy again. I am thrilled, but I have looked up this drug, Budesonide and it is listed as a nasal corticosteroid for humans with the same possible side effects as Prednisone.

I have two concerns: first, I have no wish to bring back the transient diabetes and am wondering if I should try to wean him off this drug too hoping the new foods will help heal his condition.

Secondly, somewhere in the literature it said to avoid grapefruit as it would cause an adverse reaction including death.

One of the healthiest new kibble products available for cats contains grapefruit seed extract as number 26 in a list of 37 ingredients. Is this cause for concern?
    Last edited by Oscar's mom; 10-09-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: additional links needed for Budesonide and grapefruit seed extract

MarcosMom is offline New Member

Default To: Oscar's Mom re: budesonide for cats, what natural foods did you give Oscar?

Oscar's mom: Curious what natural foods you put him on. Did you cook & prepare the food or buy it somewhere?

My little Marcos has IBS, fatty liver, and they think early-stage lymphona. I agreed to try a mild dose of Lukeran chemo drug & budesonide (2 weeks now). He is not improving and is somewhat anemic, lethargic & depressed. The vet said to discontinue the budesonide & wants to put him on Prednisone, which scares me. I'm embarassed to say I have been in the nutritional products business for 18 years, most recently with some very high-science products. I am giving him these products to remove toxins and replenish with powerful antioxidants that can protect the good cells and increase NK cell activity. This is a huge conflict for me. The vet insists chemo for cats is totally different than for humans. When I searched for "budesonide for cats," your message came up. I would appreciate knowing more about what you fed him and how he's doing.
    Thank you. Marcos' Mom
    barbarafinleyquinn@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar's mom View Post
    My 8 yr old cat has IBS, so after two years of his frequent bouts of suffering and trying other meds. we resorted to Prednisone. He soon became lethargic and very disinterested in life, food or play. His coat got matted and we ultimately determined that he had diabetes. Suspecting the Prednisone, we weaned him off it, and after a few weeks of insulin, his blood sugar returned to normal. The vet then put him on a tiny, daily dose of formulary mixed Budesonide. I also changed his food to all natural, human grade foods and treats.

He has had a miraculous recovery in just a few short weeks! He is bright eyed, attentive, playful and happy again. I am thrilled, but I have looked up this drug, Budesonide and it is listed as a nasal corticosteroid for humans with the same possible side effects as Prednisone.

I have two concerns: first, I have no wish to bring back the transient diabetes and am wondering if I should try to wean him off this drug too hoping the new foods will help heal his condition.

Secondly, somewhere in the literature it said to avoid grapefruit as it would cause an adverse reaction including death.

One of the healthiest new kibble products available for cats contains grapefruit seed extract as number 26 in a list of 37 ingredients. Is this cause for concern?