Topamax and Ortho Evra Patch
    haubart79 is offline New Member

Default Topamax and Ortho Evra Patch

I have been taking Topamax for the past 6 months for migraines and really like it and have gotten used to the side effects and would not like to switch meds. I currectly take 50mg a day. I also have recently started the Ortho Evra birth control patch but am unablee to get a staright answer, as my doc tor ahsn't returned my phone calls, as to the contraindications of Topamax and Ortho Evra. Topamax says it can decrease the effectiveness of birth control, most people who take Topamax are on a 500-800mg a day dose, is the low dose I take still affecting Ortho Evra? Anyone know about birth control and topamax, or any birth control pills that are compatible with Topamax? Thanks!

milenahunter is offline New Member

what have the side effects of topamax been for you? I just started it this week. My goal dosage will be 100mg.

misskellyRN is offline New Member

I don't know.. I currently take 50 mgs a day for nerve pain with a herniated disk. I have no idea, although that is interesting .. I would look further into it. I definately would find out. I am a nurse and I will ask at work. I have had a tubaligation however that is a serious thing. Migraine meds are becoming popular and are more common with women, if this is the case I woulds definately like to know. Keep me updated in your findings ... I will too

~Kelly RN

dasloff is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by haubart79

I have been taking Topamax for the past 6 months for migraines and really like it and have gotten used to the side effects and would not like to switch meds. I currectly take 50mg a day. I also have recently started the Ortho Evra birth control patch but am unablee to get a staright answer, as my doc tor ahsn't returned my phone calls, as to the contraindications of Topamax and Ortho Evra. Topamax says it can decrease the effectiveness of birth control, most people who take Topamax are on a 500-800mg a day dose, is the low dose I take still affecting Ortho Evra? Anyone know about birth control and topamax, or any birth control pills that are compatible with Topamax? Thanks!
    Hi, I am also on topamax and birth control. My nuerologist told me that it only starts to interfere with the birth control and make it less effective when you are taking 200mgs a day or more. So sounds like you should be alright.

my doctor told me that it only starts to interefere when you are on 200mgs of topamax or more. im on both topamax and birth control as well. 0ver 200mgs unfortunately.

sorry for the double post. didnt think it worked.

BMom is offline New Member

YES... Topamax DECREASES the effects of birth control. Call your Neurologist to discuss other options to help control your migraines and meanwhile, use other safe contraceptives.
    One other note... Do not abruptly stop taking Topamax, it must be tapered off; Again See Your Doctor.

RN in progress. [:0]

HockeyFan is offline New Member

I have been on Topamax for almost three years now - 50mgs twice/day - for migraines, it works wonderfully for me. As far as the side effects...I mostly experienced tingling in my feet -- and the frequency of that has decreased greatly over the last year.

I have gotten SSSOOO many conflicting opinions/stories regarding Topamax and birth control. When I was first given Topamax, my doctor said nothing and when the two month trial pack was up I went to the pharmacist and they told me my birth control pills (ortho tricyclin) were completely ineffective due to the Topamax (oh, yes, that was a fun experience). When I told my doctor they put me on ortho evra - but I went to see the University doctors shortly after that and they freaked out and said that Topamax and birth control have all kinds of bad side effects and refused to even entertain the idea of me staying on birth control (my husband loved that). I just went to a new doctor this past week, and they said that birth control is only "slightly" less effective when on a migraine dosage. She also had no clue what the bad side effects were - and even went so far as to look it up. But she did say if I want/need to be "certain not to get pregnant, I should use another method of birth control other than pills or the patch".