TOPAMAX
    ANNMCD is offline New Member

Default TOPAMAX

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM PATIENTS OR PROFESSIONALS REGARDING ADVERSE REACTIONS OF TOPAMAX...
    1. CHANGES IN BEHAVIOR - BECOMING INCREASINGLY AGGRESSIVE
    AND AGITATED WITH EACH INCREASE OF DOSE.

2. WEIGHT GAIN WITH FOOD OBSESSION

3. SHORT TERM MEMORY PROBLEMS

4. WHAT, IF ANY, MEDICATION WAS USED TO KEEP PATIENT
    "UNDER CONTROL"?

kinghb92 is offline New Member

I took topamax for almost a year and I was not impressed. The number one side effect that others noticed was I just "wasn't home". People would try to talk to me and I had a blank, empty look. I never had anything to say(quite unusual for me). During this time I don't think I really thought about anything - I felt empty-headed. Another wonderful side-effect was that I gained 60 pounds. This weight gain was blamed on the zyprexa that I was taking - in fact the topamax was prescribed to counteract the effects of the zyprexa. At the time my doctor was telling me that topamax was supposed to cause weight loss. She did not see this happen in any of the patients that she prescribed it for. Also, a few years afterward she was referring to topamax as "dope-a max" - apparently i was not the only person made completely stupid by this drug...hope this helps

ANNMCD is offline New Member

Thanks so much. We had an appointment with new Doctor who is taking my son off topamax. Said it shouldn't be prescribed for someone with existing behavior issues.

My son has lost 15 pounds since we stopeed zyprexa and have begun to reduce the topamax.

He is feeling much better.

I also appreciated the comments about
    "not being home". I have seen that too.
    Thank you again.

redsphere is offline New Member

I realize it's been awhile since you posted this; however I thought I'd answer your questions about topamax. I myself have been on it for 3 years. Personally it's not for me. I felt like a walking zombie of course I lost a ton of weight. But that was because it made me not want to eat. I refuse to take it now because of the side effects. Again, I felt like I was asleep even when I was up. I also had a hard time sitting still and focusing at the same time. Then again everyone's brain is different and reacts differently. So, it may work for some people. I however no longer take it.

BeverlyK is offline New Member

Here's my experience with Topamax

I'm a piano player. I play in 2 rock bands. But the real serious trouble for me with Topamax is with playing complex classical piano or even complex rock pieces that I wrote myself. Something in Topamax unglues my mind in such a way that I cannot play within 20 hours of taking a dose. So, when I know I have band practice or a gig, I have to time my doseage or skip a dose. Isn't that just weird?

Also, I do legal word processing for a living, and when I have complex formatting to do, I find myself really at a loss and have to get someone to help me at work. It's really embarassing, and I'm afraid I'll lose my job if management finds out that I have periods of stupidness due to this drug.

Also, this drug makes me manic, agressive, depressed and paranoid.

Originally my psychiatrist gave it to me because the other drug I am taking, Neurontin, was making me gain weight, and I complained, so she gave me the Topamax to counteract it.

That's my story. Anyone have a similar story? Especially other piano players? I'd love to hear from you.