Switching from Xanax to Clonazepam
    YeahBudday88 is offline New Member

Default Switching from Xanax to Clonazepam

I have been addicted to xanax for the past year and a half. I take 4-6 a day about 6 times a week... I have been wanting to get off of them for a while now but its painful and the withdrawals are horrible... A friend of mine suggested to use Clonazepam to ease my way off the Xanax.. I have 6 Clonazepam right now 1mg each so im considering taking all 6 bc I heard 2 Clonazepam's are equal to 1 xanax.. correct me if im wrong.. All help and comments are appreciated.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by YeahBudday88 View Post
    I have been addicted to xanax for the past year and a half. I take 4-6 a day about 6 times a week... I have been wanting to get off of them for a while now but its painful and the withdrawals are horrible... A friend of mine suggested to use Clonazepam to ease my way off the Xanax.. I have 6 Clonazepam right now 1mg each so im considering taking all 6 bc I heard 2 Clonazepam's are equal to 1 xanax.. correct me if im wrong.. All help and comments are appreciated.

The correct info is that klonopin have a much longer half life than xanax. Xanax has the shortest of all the benzos, so it seems like you go into w/d every four hours or so. You don't want to take all six clonazepams at once. They would be a good alternative to taper off with and stop though as the effects last longer. Six isn't enough to do a taper with though. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The correct info is that klonopin have a much longer half life than xanax. Xanax has the shortest of all the benzos, so it seems like you go into w/d every four hours or so. You don't want to take all six clonazepams at once. They would be a good alternative to taper off with and stop though as the effects last longer. Six isn't enough to do a taper with though. God bless.
    if 6 isnt enough how many should i get? thanks for all the info dude

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by YeahBudday88 View Post
    if 6 isnt enough how many should i get? thanks for all the info dude

After taking xanax for a year and a half at that dose it could take you a few months to taper slowly and safely. You should be getting a prescription from the dr. Be honest with him and tell him what you're doing and that you just need help for a few months. Then follow through and taper, don't take six at a time. You get a legal prescription and I'll work with you if you want. I've done this many times and was addicted to benzos for 35 years. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    After taking xanax for a year and a half at that dose it could take you a few months to taper slowly and safely. You should be getting a prescription from the dr. Be honest with him and tell him what you're doing and that you just need help for a few months. Then follow through and taper, don't take six at a time. You get a legal prescription and I'll work with you if you want. I've done this many times and was addicted to benzos for 35 years. God bless.
    Thanks a lot man. But i cannot go to the doctor im still under my parents insurance (at 20yrs old lol) so i guess ill just taper off slowly. I usually take 6 barz at once and people are telling me to just take like 2 at a time if that and slowly work my way down to not taking them at all

Morfeen62 is offline New Member

Post YOU HAVE TO DO IT THE RIgHT WAY

{QUOTE=YeahBudday88;303540]Thanks a lot man. But i cannot go to the doctor im still under my parents insurance (at 20yrs old lol) so i guess ill just taper off slowly. I usually take 6 barz at once and people are telling me to just take like 2 at a time if that and slowly work my way down to not taking them at all[/QUOTE][FONT="Comic Sans MS][SIZE="5"]

My god 6 bars at once. I thought my old boyfriend who overdosed on 8 bars/sticks, was bad. my thought was if u are buying bars on the streets, they are not cheap. and considering u have at least. Where do you get the money? That has always been my thought . When one says they cannot afford to go to a phychiatrist or Doc because u are only 20 & the Insurance.is under your parents name. BUT, if u can afford to buy bars, then u have some way of getting money . So if u have money why cant you get your self a good Doctor. Many Phychiatrist are not as expensive as u think especially if u lookn into your county health Dept, and have sliding scale that may cost u no more then 5-10 dollers. Look I know where u are coming from and I understand that in reality u do not want to stop. Tapering off on your own is NOt going to work and that is a FACT. U need to be on some other medication to help u withdrawl from Benzoids, espcially xanax, which is no joke. My twin sister had a Gran Mar Seizure. I am 48 and have gone down this road. i do know all the excuses and hypes. i will tell u , u will die from them. One day u just wont wake up. Especially if mixed with Alchahol or any other form of Opiates. You are young and have years ahead of you. if you are depressed , then dont hide them behind meds. That was my mistake. i had everything and lost everything, because during my time talking about Depression and Addiction & Panic Disorder was not to be discussed. It was awful and always felt like the song "The tears of a Clown". Even better, maybe u should come clean with your parents and they can send you to an inpatient...Not those Lube job, where u go in, hear some war stories, and ready to go out and do more new things by meeting up with.....

[deleted - swearing]

. Well there is a well written quote that says " our lessons comes from our Journey and not our destination" And my friend, you haven't been through alot of journeys yet to know the reality of the danger u are putting your self through. i have been one of the lucky ones that had some basic lessons, but we are all still learining, no matter how old one is. Your parents may be angry, but would rather see you alive and been honest and wanting to stop. Please think of others in your family too. They would be wondering what they were missing and what they did wrong. If u want to talk more, u can write to me.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 12-19-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Morfeen62 is offline New Member

What are you taking Xanax for ? To just get high i would assume. I lived with panic Disorder most of my young adult life. Its not like an enxiety attack not even close. The only way i can describe it is the fear of ones selves. I can ran away from my self, for the panic feeling comes from the brain. I feel locked in a small cage in my mind. I do not want anyone talking to me, asking me questions, It was horrible. All these Docs and phychiatrist would suggest are drugs in the SSRI like paxil, Zoloft, laprexa, when i knew all i need was Clonopin for they are long acting, and do not have to wait till I make an ass out of myslef, not being able to speak, just frozen on the spot, and trying to get Xanax in me, then i will have to tak eit again. If you have any anxiety problem, just stick with Clonopin. Xanax is in the Anti-Phichotic Drug dept, but inthe same family as all the Benzoids, like Valium,Clonopin, Ativan, ..but to me Xanax was too much and just for people who really wants to have a good high along with methadone. We had 3 death in our facilities because they took a bar or two or three before getting their methadone.. People do not realize the potency of the drugs until its too late. Please STOP before you wont be able to decide anymore,, nor able to talk or open your eyes or laugh because your life had ended way before your time.

atcwalker is offline New Member

You need to see a physician who specializes in detoxing from xanax and other benzodiazepines. There is cross tolerance among the various benzodiazepines and although clonazepam is long acting, you are still going to have similar problems once and if you decide to stop all of this class of drugs.

back2good is offline New Member

just to let you know, i had to go to detox for my opiate/alcohol problem.
    while there i mentioned that i take .5mgs of xanax every night. never ever thinking i had a problem..i truly never abused them, and i only took them to sleep. well, seems like THAT was a huge problem.since i was taking them every night for 6 yrs, i had an addiction i wasnt even aware of..my 4 day detox (for opiates/alcohol) turned into 11 days!
    i was given pheno-barb..i had no clue how dangerous coming off them were .THANK GOD i was in a hospital..benzo withdrawal should be medically supervised.

amylynn074 is offline New Member

Red face best advice:consult w/doctor to establish a taper plan

Benzodiazepines and alcohol are the 2 drugs that you can't suddenly stop taking due to life threatening risks, such a seizures or stroke. The only way to detox from benzo's is with benzo's. If you consult with your primary care physician or psychiatrist they can prescribe you the correct dose adjustment, which generally is: the 1st day =the dose you've been consuming 2nd day= 1 less pill a day; and so on...it's called a slow benzo taper, it can most likely be successful via ambulatory detox. However, if you're unable to manage dosing yourself the correct taper, you have to be honest with your doctor whom will then probably discuss with you that the only other successful alternative would be to go inpatient for approx. 5 days. that way you can be monitored and administered the correct dosage. If you haven't already, please call your doctor to discuss a taper-dose plan. I wish you the best of luck and remember that things may appear unbearable at first but after a few days of letting your body adjust to the new dose...you will be fine. Your anxiety level will rise,but thats the worst of the withdrawals...and because benzo's are stored and broken down in your liver they stay in your body for 30 days. So you most likely will reach your peak level of uncomfortable anxiety after 7-10 without taking any benzodiazepines. Good luck to you..and make sure you follow exactly as directed to prevent any harmful effects of withdrawing improperly and w/o medical assistance.