Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sheryl
Success Story
    sheryl is offline New Member

Default Success Story

Hello to all,

I haven't posted for a long time, but wanted to tell you of my total success story in getting off a 15-20 hydrocodone pill per day habit for YEARS! I did it cold turkey, under the guidance of my wonderful general practitioner and I tell you, withdrawal was PURE HELL -- but well worth getting OFF those painkillers! The worst part was the restless legs/arms/body -- for the first couple of days I couldn't even stay still long enough to take my blood pressure! Then - the cravings...I almost gave in on Day 8 but am so glad I did NOT. I realized I had to go through withdrawal sooner or later and I just wanted to get it over with once and for all! It took to Day 12 before I was able to feel happy and "normal" again. HOWEVER, it took about another two months to get my natural energy back...those painpills used to give me incredible energy (most of you know what I'm talking about). But the good news is THIS: I have NO desire to EVER take another narcotic painkiller again! NEVER!! I began the pills in all innocence, as many of us do, then kept increasing them and began enjoying the "smooth" feeling they gave me; they did not make me "high" -- believe it or not, I would not have liked that. My pain was real but after a time those pills lost their effectiveness. When I first went off them, my pain increased a LOT...now it is not so bad at all. Now I feel so free and happy!!!! YES -- there is HAPPINESS without pain pills! No more getting anxious when the pills run low (in fact, I flushed the last 50 or so I had of them right down the john!) I literally never have a desire for a narcotic painpill. I do know this: I will never, ever do that to myself again. Please, try to feel some encouragement from my words. YOU CAN DO IT. And you can be happy and productive once again! I took those pills for at least 6 years straight and I got off them cold turkey. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but so worthwhile. I am no longer a slave to those pills, nor will I ever be again! To any of you going through withdrawal -- do not give up, stick with it, there is a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel, I promise you. If anyone needs to talk, feel free to email me at: everly@earthlink.net. Good luck to all -- you can do it!!
    piepkow likes this.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Congradulations Sheryl!!!It's always great to hear success stories.Good luck on your future endevours.....Dave

You're quite the exceptional lady! Cold turkey IS hell... Yay, Sheryl!

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

matthewb is offline Junior Member

Awsome thats so great stay strong

Matthew Baldwin
    http://www.cchr.com/
    Citizens Commission on Human Rights

ComingHome is offline Senior Member

That's cool Sheryl. How much clean time do you have now?

There is ALWAYS hope

debbyj is offline New Member

Sheryl....
    Wow! Incredible accomplishment...Cold turkey? R U INSANE ???? Just foolin Sheryl...lol... How long have u been clean?
    About the cravings, take it one day at a time, and when that doesnt seem possible....one hour, one minute at a time... I found it a BIG help to go to meetings... sounds hokey, but they really do help... but you have to shop around and find the group that works for u... when u find it... u will know.....find a sponser (if u go)and lean on them... its much easier if u dont try to go it alone...
    IF IT WUZ EAZY, THERE WOULD BE NO ADDICTS... WE WOULD ALL BE CLEAN!
    During the "recovery process" there is a "Honeymoon" period, shortly after first getting clean... the world is great, life is good, why did I EVER take those pills? .... then the roller-coaster ride begins... there r several honeymoons during the process, and in between life happens...honeymoons happen about every 6 month (so the professionals say).... lol..
    I've been clean of >>>>>> for 7 yrs now... and I still struggle...thats "normal"....
    Know that relapse can and does happen in some ppls recovery... if it happens, dont beat urself up... try to find the trigger and avoid it like the plague...
    Most of all, LOVE YOURSELF! Surround urself with those who love and accept you... talk to someone who is farther in the process than u... keep the faith... live life... u've missed a lot of it during the 6 yrs of sleepwalking and fogs... GROW! FIND PEACE WITHIN - HAVE SOME FUN - FIND HAPPINESS....

GOOD LUCK !

Debby

Aurarisma is offline New Member

Default Awesome

Congratulations..

The mind is supreme!!! BRain in heart together can accomplish anything ..... Like any addiction its a disorder.. what trigggers it all to want a bag of chips .. to want a percocet... lonelinesss , rewarding.. whatever...

Im so happy for you ..... Thanks for sharing..

what lies ahead of you is a magical wonderful journey and u earned it~~

Blessings,
    Christina Cold Turkey is not bad.. u willl remember it and never want to do it again .. thats for sure !!!

ARCO96 is offline New Member

Hi Sheryl, I desperatly need advice, I used to be up to 10-15 a day for about maybe 2 years now, and now im at 3 or 4 a day, I have tried this a couple times but the withdrawls just got worse, Im willing to do whatever it takes but i dont want my girlfriend to know about this so im forced to take it when i see her so im not clammy or dont feel like >>>>, How long before im back to my normal self? Im only 17 and i really need to change and get back to being the athletic person i was and still am, When i was using less and less i had more and more energy i just really dont know wat to use to help the withdrawls not be so bad, i get heat waves and cold flashes and anxiety, Can i still make a full healthy recovery? will my children be okay when i have them in the future?

Iwantoff2013 is online now Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARCO96 View Post
    Hi Sheryl, I desperatly need advice, I used to be up to 10-15 a day for about maybe 2 years now, and now im at 3 or 4 a day, I have tried this a couple times but the withdrawls just got worse, Im willing to do whatever it takes but i dont want my girlfriend to know about this so im forced to take it when i see her so im not clammy or dont feel like >>>>, How long before im back to my normal self? Im only 17 and i really need to change and get back to being the athletic person i was and still am, When i was using less and less i had more and more energy i just really dont know wat to use to help the withdrawls not be so bad, i get heat waves and cold flashes and anxiety, Can i still make a full healthy recovery? will my children be okay when i have them in the future?
    Hi, and welcome.

This is a very old thread. You should definitely start your own thread so people can reply directly to you. Go to the "Need to Talk" board and start a thread there. Lots of people on that board are newly clean having quit cold turkey. You will get lots of support.

Taking only 3-4 per day is a very small habit. You can quit pretty easily. It's staying clean that's the hard part.

Your future children will be just fine. Your body and mind will heal once the pills are removed.
    Good luck to you!
    Kat