To SUB or not to SUB???
    moonshine814 is offline New Member

Default To SUB or not to SUB???

My Story: 35 yrs old Female been on Methadone for 8 years, a success story "so-to-speak" I have been celan of all street drugs for 6 -1/2 to 7 of those 8yrs. I currently have 6 take homes (had 13 until clinic changed take home policy) & am slowly wheening myself down, my highest dose approx. 155Mg's am on 52 Mg's now. I'm struggling with the idea of switching to Suboxone my thoughts are such; weekly visit to methadone clinic not the best but not too bad, constant scrutany from staff oh god I hate it, even though I've been clean for so long they still treat me as if I've just walked in off the streets, not to mention the weight gain, for me this is the worse thing besides having to jump through the constant hoops the clinic provides for me! I work full time & am a mother & sometimes need to adjust times of appointments & they act as though I should be at their disposal 24 hrs/day. I want to eventually-of course- be free of everything I always listen to my body, as soon as I "feel" my dose I come down but it has proven to be a SLOW process however it is working for me as I am not using street drugs & mentally have never been healthier all this due to my hard work to remain drug free! Back to the question, I am looking for ANY advise from someone who has been -somewhat- in my shoes, What are your thoughts? Switch or not?

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine814 View Post
    My Story: 35 yrs old Female been on Methadone for 8 years, a success story "so-to-speak" I have been celan of all street drugs for 6 -1/2 to 7 of those 8yrs. I currently have 6 take homes (had 13 until clinic changed take home policy) & am slowly wheening myself down, my highest dose approx. 155Mg's am on 52 Mg's now. I'm struggling with the idea of switching to Suboxone my thoughts are such; weekly visit to methadone clinic not the best but not too bad, constant scrutany from staff oh god I hate it, even though I've been clean for so long they still treat me as if I've just walked in off the streets, not to mention the weight gain, for me this is the worse thing besides having to jump through the constant hoops the clinic provides for me! I work full time & am a mother & sometimes need to adjust times of appointments & they act as though I should be at their disposal 24 hrs/day. I want to eventually-of course- be free of everything I always listen to my body, as soon as I "feel" my dose I come down but it has proven to be a SLOW process however it is working for me as I am not using street drugs & mentally have never been healthier all this due to my hard work to remain drug free! Back to the question, I am looking for ANY advise from someone who has been -somewhat- in my shoes, What are your thoughts? Switch or not?
    Methadone is cheaper than suboxone so that is an issue for sure.If your insurance will pay than this is a non issue.There have been lots of people here who have made the switch.The w/d from methadone is really bad so a lot of people who have made the switch take oxycodone IR for a couple of weeks before they start the suboxone.If you can handle the w/d from methadone until you reach a 26 on the "cows" scale chart this would also be a non issue.I have used just about everything but methadone so I can not give you a first hand opinion.To me it sounds like a good option for you.Others may think differently.Good luck to you.MM

Hi I read your story and its very similar to mine. The jumping through the hoops and the unreasonable policy changes for us that have stayed clean through our methadone treatment, and the evil glares making you feel like scum. Been through all that & more. I made the switch to sub and aside from some other health issues i feel that I am doing well much better than methadone for sure. If you have ins to pay for the pills its actually cheaper than methadone by far atleast where I live. It may help you to read my very 1st & 2nd posts (I posted the 1st one twice so diregard that) If you are interested just click on my name go to stats click on threads started by me and you can read how it went for me. I must warn you though I am long winded & tend to provide too much background info so you can just skim through it if its too long lol Hope this helps
    I also gained a ton of weight on methadone but I am lossing it all now Thank God I was becoming very unhealthy in the weight department....and they try to tell you methadone doesnt cause weight gain HA
    Last edited by learning_to_be_free; 03-06-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

There's been lots of people switch successfully from methadone to suboxone. Seems the taper down is easier for most people on the subs. That is my experience at least. You can do it after you titrate down to 30mg or less of methadone. How much you reduce by is up to you obviously. Otherwise it can be a long process titrating down to zero off the methadone if that is what you choose to do. It's tough to jump off cold at much of a methadone dose at all. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

moonshine814 is offline New Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses!! I will be sure to go back and read some previous posts following another users recommendation! My ins would pay for the drug but it is "The Switch" I worry about! Somehow after all the years of being clean I have forgotten all the W/D's I've been through during my love affair w/ >>>>>>, I've been deep in the trenches for sure so I know I can handle W/D's, though now I work full time and have a lot more responsibility can't just curl up in my bed : ) Thanks again guys!

Being totally honest with you actually making "the switch" is the only real challenge part of this. It only lasts three days and it's sooooo worth it if you really want to stop the methadone. But I will not lie and tell you this all goes with no episode at all. That would be unrealistic, but it's so worth it for the benefit of living clean thereafter. Check out the following link about subs that I wrote a while back. Good luck and God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

melissa66 is offline New Member

Default suboxone help

My partner has been seeing a private psyciatrist for a >>>>>> addiction. We have been paying 350.00 a week for a 40 min. session. we can no longer afford this and I don't want him to stop the suboxone treatment-he has come to far. Are there any clinics in Ct. We are in Fairfield County area but will drive where ever we have to. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks, Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melissa66 View Post
    My partner has been seeing a private psyciatrist for a >>>>>> addiction. We have been paying 350.00 a week for a 40 min. session. we can no longer afford this and I don't want him to stop the suboxone treatment-he has come to far. Are there any clinics in Ct. We are in Fairfield County area but will drive where ever we have to. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks, Melissa

Go to www.suboxone.com ... they will give you a list of the sub certified drs in your area. You just give them your zip code and then you can adjust the readius of distance you're willing to travel to see a dr. Let us know if you have any problem. It's pretty simple. Good luck and God bless.

melissa66 is offline New Member

I have gone to their website and I can only find private doctors who pretty much charge the same. Googling clinics I find are out of state or actually only for methadone. Do you have much knowledge of >>>>>> addiction? I have never done drugs so it is hard for me to understand. My partner was very anti-drug until 2 years ago at the age of 43. He said he still has cravings all the time. I don't get it and how can you stop them? or how do you get to the point you don't respond to them? Thanks, Melissa mbarnash@aol.com

The kind of charges you're talking about are ridiculous. Those drs are being thieves. It should not cost that much. I know people find drs charging less on suboxone.com. Lots are high but it's worth it to expand the area and make a few more calls. I bet you'll be successful. God bless.

dirtylittlesecret is offline New Member

Exclamation

Hello There, Well sweetheart let me just first say to you that no matter what those people think, i would be proud of you for being a mom and working still after all the drug use and the treatment and your still trying to hold it all together....good girl!!!
    I think you should definetly try the switch, methadone can be fatal and this happens when the person taking it gets hooked on it just like opiates..ex. >>>>>>,vicodin,oxycontin,morphine This drug (subutex or suboxone) can give you its own "euphoric" feeling while detoxing you from the above narcotics including methadone. The above are only a few of the opiates that the "subs" help to detox you from. Here is a link for you that will tell you more info also.....

http://www.naabt.org/education/bupre..._treatment.cfm

I had a friend who was very addicted to methadone and she almost became a statistic, she thought by the false info she had gotten on the drug, that it was a safe detox godsend for her, absolutely wrong!!!! I got her some info on subutex and suboxone and then myself took her to a doctor that perscribed the medication to her. It took her almost a year to get off of the detox meds but she is clean of everything now and soon will be receiving her high school diploma with honors......yes you heard me correct. This was a very young girl i had met at my pharmacy and took upon myself to try to help her. She was a mess and i was sure she was close to death. There were so many things that were happening to her from taking this methadone. Everyone was telling her what a great detox med it was, including her doctor who we found later was on some sort of bonus program with the state for getting teens "methadone detox" treatment.
    She was depressed alot, she slept almost all day, her mind couldnt seem to hold a thought straight due to the amount of methadone she was taking. She was put on a Subutex treatment of 8mg split in half for 2 seperate doses a day for a week,then switched to "suboxone" where she took 4mg in the morning when she got up and 4mg at nite about 1 hour before going to sleep.(8mg a day) She did this for close to a year unfortunately but now she takes nothing!!! not even aspirin anymore...lol she is a very smart gal and i even went as far as to get her taken into a program at the pharmacy i work at for her to get a grant to go to school to learn all about pharmacutical medicine. She is a very very smart girl and her personality is amazing. Noone would have ever even known that if she had not gotten the help she so needed. I personally think she would have ended up dead. You definetly need to get off that methadone regaurdless of what great "stories" you hear from other "addicted" users on how great it is. Sure they are going to tell you that because they are just as addicted to the methadone as they were to the opiates they are detoxing from and the frame of mind they are in "opiate euphoria" almost the same as the drugs they were on before the treatment. Let me ask you, does the methadone give you just a great a high as the meds you were on before your treatment? If you answer "yes" then you really are by no means the "clean" you think you are, as methadone is just as bad if not worse than any of the those drugs you may have been on before your so-called treatment hun.....find a doctor who will switch you to the SUBUTEX or SUBOXONE. Read all the info you can on these meds. Also do some searching on the CONS of METHADONE as well for argument sake and you will see what i mean.........good luck sweetheart, let me know how it goes

Anonymous Guest

Default Cravings

As far as cravings I think Suboxone is the way to go if your partners habit is large and cravings have been a problem. I have had no problem with that aspect.I started almost three months ago. Similar situation and am almost done with the taper .Good luck! Linda