Pain mgmt Dr's not prescribing pain meds??
    izzybella is offline New Member

Default Pain mgmt Dr's not prescribing pain meds??

I have an ongoing lower back problem that has me on narcotic pain meds. My primary care Dr stopped prescribing pain meds as of march. He gave me suboxone till I can find a pain management dr. So far the 4 (3 that my Dr reccomended) I called do not use meds only shots and procedures. I have had 3 different procedures done, had nerve endings burnt out, shots, etc. and they didnt help at all.
    What do I do now? Live in pain (I cant run anymore, cant lift my kids up, cant caryy a laundrybasket, takes me days to try to clean my house) all day every day.
    I'm at a loss and so afraid of turning into a couch potato because thats the only thing I can do somewhat pain free.
    It's very depressing that the Dr's that are supposed to help chronic pain patients live a somewhat "normal" life no longer are willing to help. I dont know what to do. I know if I keep going like this depression is going to set in. The pain meds made the pain manageable. I could get a bit more done when taking them, go for a ride in a car longer then 10-15 mins before the pain becomes too much as it does now on suboxone, play with my kids, which is just too painfull now.
    I'm at a loss and feel so let down by the medical profession.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    PS, not sure if I am allowed to ask for a Dr reccomendation in my area of not/

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

It's very depressing that the Dr's that are supposed to help chronic pain patients live a somewhat "normal" life no longer are willing to help.

It's not that the pain management doctors are not willing to help; they are not willing to help by giving you prescription narcotics. Clearly, if you doctor has given you suboxone, a drug intended to help with detoxing off narcotics, your doctor is gravely concerned with your narcotic use. Suboxone is not utilized for stopping routine narcotic use; it is used when there is a dependency problem.

The pain management doctors are being cautious, offering alternative means of treatment, rather than more drugs. Narcotics are not the smartest answer for chronic pain, as the nature of these drugs easily lends itself to addiction. If chronic pain can be treated by other methods, it's wise to explore any and all of them before you resort to simply numbing the pain with narcotics. That does not "treat" the problem. In fact, if often creates an entirely new problem - addiction.

God bless,
    Ruth