Pain Management Kicked Me Out - HELP!?
    Titty Puff is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Pain Management Kicked Me Out - HELP!?

Greetings.

I'm obviously not in a good mood because I was discharged from Pain Management for legitimate reason. Let me first state that I am a 21 year old male with 3 compressed fractures in my lumber spine in the L1, L2, and L3, a buldged disc in my L5, two herniated discs in my cervical spine, and three buldged discs in my cervical spine.

I broke my back initially last summer and it didn't heal; it has been getting progressively worse. I now have osteoporosis growing within my fractures.

I am a 21 year old male with straight Medicaid now. I just turned 21 in September and when you turn 21, your HMO is taken away because you're considered a legal "independant adult." I broke my back last year when I was 19, three months away from turning 20. It's now going on a year and a half.

I waited 9 months to get into Pain Management. For over a year, I was on narcotic pain medications where my tolerance was increased. I was on Roxycodone 30mg 4x per day typically with OxyContin 30mg 2-3x per day or MS Contin 30mg 2-3x per day; that was with my family doctor for over a year until I got into Pain Management.

Pain Management switched the medications I was used to in September. I only got to see them for 3 months before they discharged me. They put me on Roxycodone 15mg 5x per day with OxyContin 60mg 2x per day. OxyContin never helped me, old formulation or new formulation, which is why my doctor had me on the 30mg Roxycodone mostly and also sometimes with MS Contin 30mg. At one point I was on Roxycodone 30mg 6x per day with my family doctor right before Pain Management. Roxycodone 30mg worked best for me, but Pain Management wanted to change it to have me on IR and ER pills. It didnt' make any sense to me sine it was the same if not sometimes more MG throughout the day and more pills to take. I was also on Neurontin 300mg 3x per day and Soma 350mg 3x per day throughout it all since I broke my back.

On November 1st I told them that the Oxycontin 60mg didn't work, becuase it just didn't. It hurt my stomach. The old formulation never did (the OC brand) but it never did work like it was supposed to no matter what formulation.

So they downgraded me from 2x Oxycontin 60mg per day to 3x MS Contin 30mg per day and also kept me downgraded from the Roxycodone 30mg that I was used to taking over a year to Roxycodone 15mg.

For the first time ever, I ran out of of pain medication early. It was 8 days early before my appointment and I was really scared to call Pain Management and tell the doctor, but first off she said if there was a problem with the switch to let her know and second off the receptionist told me to definitely tell her. I couldn't and didn't want to tell her within the first week of it not working because I'm 21 year old male who has been discriminated a lot because people my age abuse the medication so I didn't call her within the first week of it not working because I was scared she'd think I was trying to get another narcotic.

I ran out JUST 8 days early before my next appointment which was going to be November 30th. She called me back on the 23rd making it 7 days early and flipped out and discharged me. My paper says self-escalation of pain medication without notification of the office, which is BS because I called and notified the office. I also DID NOT ask for any prescriptions or refills - I called to notify her that I took my last pills on the 22nd.

She said I'm done and they're not seeing me anymore and that she'd write me one more script of the Roxycodone 15mg and the MS Contin 30mg that doesn't even work so that I could last for a month and find another place and not withdrawal. She didn't write me any Neurontin or Soma either which is horrible and I'm doing horrible and when I tried to call about it, the office threatened me saying I'm discharged and they said if I called again they'd call the police on me and file harassment charges.

I don't understand what I did wrong. She tampered with my dose and gave me MS Contin which 30mg is equal to about 20mg of Oxycontin when she had me on 60mg of Oxycontin twice a day. She lowered my dose by over 50%! I only ran out 8 days early too and now I have nowhere to go and I don't know what to do! I don't feel I did anything wrong. I took one extra of each pill per day. It's not like I have neck pain and complained about it. There is something wrong with me, with my skeleton, and they have all the scans to prove it I mean my back is broke and I was used to a lot higher dose of medicine.

I have straight Medicaid too and there is only ONE other place in the state that would accept me in which is another pain management. There is a waiting list for that too. What am I supposed to do? I am scared to tell my family doctor because my discharge paper and the reason made it seem like I did something wrong, abused my pills, and went wild. I have all my medicines printed out from the pharmacy showing what I've been on over a year.

Can anyone help me? Is there anything I can do? Was this so wrong? I don't get it, I tried my best and was lucky I made it as long as I did. I have tried many times to go without pain medication - I can get through withdrawal - it's the pain that is disabling me. I am still fighting for disability which could take another year and because of my age I will probably get denied.

Can anyone PLEASE give me advise? Especially what should I tell any other doctor I see like I was kicked out like I've been in tears because I called to be honest with her. If I would have just stuck out 8 days without calling she would have never known. I just wanted to have a good Thanksgiving with my family and be able to get up and eat. I also get drug tested and if I was clean they would have thought I was selling or something. Is this or is this not a case of discrimination? Please help me I don't know what to do. I can't just go see a random family doctor for pain meds being my injury is over a year old. I am so worried please help. I wish a surgeon would give me surgery to maybe correct my back, there is a 30/70 chance surgery would correct the fractures and not make it worse. I have a really low chance of getting disability even though I'm physically disabled because of Obama's new tight restrictions and because of my age. Please help with advise and answers to why this happened to me. I really can't stop crying and stressing out about it.

scaredmomof2 is offline Member

sorry no one has replied to you yet. I am not a doctor but did work as an MA for a family doctor for several years. I have seen it all. This is what I would recommend:

First, that pain scec. obviously had no interest in making you better. Sounds to me she just wanted to put you on meds. maybe I am wrong. But what we would do was send to a pain dr that not only prescribed meds if needed but also gave shots and worked with you on therapy. Have you ever been to a chiropractor? some people say they work wonders and there are several out there that take medicaid. If you dont already have a book from medicaid with a list of doctors call and get one. most chiros dont even require a referral.

I do highly recommend you go see you family doctor. Not to ask for more meds but to tell them of the problem you had with the pain dr. they should be understanding enough to get you in to see another one. i know at our office if we called they could normally get you in earlier.

can I ask what area you are in? having previous experience in the med field I do know some names of dr.s all over!

Hope this helps a little!

Clarabelle

Mel707 is offline New Member

Default Need advice

Quote Originally Posted by scaredmomof2 View Post
    sorry no one has replied to you yet. I am not a doctor but did work as an MA for a family doctor for several years. I have seen it all. This is what I would recommend:

First, that pain scec. obviously had no interest in making you better. Sounds to me she just wanted to put you on meds. maybe I am wrong. But what we would do was send to a pain dr that not only prescribed meds if needed but also gave shots and worked with you on therapy. Have you ever been to a chiropractor? some people say they work wonders and there are several out there that take medicaid. If you dont already have a book from medicaid with a list of doctors call and get one. most chiros dont even require a referral.

I do highly recommend you go see you family doctor. Not to ask for more meds but to tell them of the problem you had with the pain dr. they should be understanding enough to get you in to see another one. i know at our office if we called they could normally get you in earlier.

can I ask what area you are in? having previous experience in the med field I do know some names of dr.s all over!

Clarabelle

Quote Originally Posted by scaredmomof2 View Post

Clarabelle

Hello,>

I know this post is old but i was wondering if you could possibly help me out with advice or point me in the right direction as well. I too was kicked out of pain management. I have NO clue why and all my calls to the office manager have gone unreturned. I was enrolled in the clinic and in compliance, i am 28 years old and was shot 13x in feb 2012. Numerous surgeries and many complications. Chronic pain is a understatement. In august i found out. Was pregnant, told my pain management Dr at my appointment. At that time she told me she could not prescribe me any meds due to liabilty and to follow up with a OB/GYN and that after i delivered the baby to call back and make a appointment-This was in august. In May i delivered the baby and i called back to make a appointment, i was told that i had been disenrolled as of January....they gave me No reason. I have left over 10 messages for the office manager and they have all gone unanswered. My primary care Dr does not prescribe pain meds. He has referred me to other pain clinics but none will accept me because its out of my insurance network the only pain clinic that is covered is the one i was disenrolled from. This all seems so unfair, i was a victim of a violent crime and i feel like everyone has jyst said oh well. Anyyyy advice will be appreciated. Im in solano county, ca.>

Faded time is offline Member

Not giving you scripts while you were pregnant was probably out of fear of litigation if anything was wrong with the child. If this pain clinic will not answer your calls, don't bother with them. You need someone who will be there no matter what.

Local hospitals may have the names of some pain management clinics in your area. That is where I would start.
    Faded time

robertdedrickson is offline New Member

Things have really changed over the past few years when it comes to pain and pain treatment. There seems to have been a huge movement to restrict people and their access to narcotic medication. I think this is due to the belief that it is ultimately ending up on the street or in the hands of teenagers who steal it from family members. It seems that most doctors are now willing to kick any patient out without a moments notice for no apparent reason at all. My wife can't even get medication any longer from her primary care doctor because they think she is a drug seeker. This isn't true at all. She is only 36 with a knee replacement and another one needed in the other knee. Working 40 hours a day just builds up in the joints and requires a little more than just over the counter pills. I wish you the best of luck!