Was my doctor racist?
    mayhmong is offline New Member

Angry Was my doctor racist?

It was during the worst flu season of Febuary. The month where I normally get sick with every thing. But worst of all was having an ulcer pain around the stomach area. It was very hard to see a doctor because everyone else was sick. So I had to wait 3 weeks before being seen, because I have no health insurance, I dare not go to the emergency room which I later regret. This ulcer pain was flamming up constantly driving me off the wall and making me have sleep problems. I had the same problem with ulcer pain before and went to see a friendly doctor who did prescribe me something who no longer was there at the clinic.

By the time it was time for me to see the doctor, I was like, oh finally! A new doctor walked in. He tested his hands around my stomach area. I have to say that I am very ticklish. So I was laughing and crying at the same time. I try to point out to him that it hurts closer to my legs. He told me that there was nothing wrong and I shouldn't worry about it. So I said, sooo....are you going to prescribe me anything? He was like, no, you're fine you don't need anything. I was like, hold on a sec, I'm in pain for nearly a month now and you're telling me I have to pay $100.00 for nothing? He explained to me because of my parents were from another country that we can't digest milk properly. Thus, causing us to have this normal pain. Boy was I pissed off. I immediately demanded to see another doctor. But as busy as they were, they had to reschedule me to see someone else for another month?!

I don't know about you guys, but did this new doctor seemed fair?

Cats Meow is offline Banned

That really doesn't sound like a racist remark, it could have some bearing of truth IF it's the right diagnosis, and you have good reason to believe it's not. Some things have to be faced, there are certain conditions that are race related or regional related, pointing them out isn't racist, it's more of a matter of probability and an educated guess, medicine isn't an exact science, that's why they call it "practicing medicine". Of course I don't know what all transpired, and I'm not defending him, just looking at the other side, I'm sure some doctors are racist, but that should never influence their diagnosis or treatment, we see and hear about docs stereotyping people for age, gender, socio-economics, personal looks (like tattoos and piercing's) and everything else you can think of, it's not right, but we all prejudge people, but everybody deserves equal medical treatment.
    It's a shame if this happened to you. I hope you're better now.
    Cats

Psychmajor is offline Member

there are actualy genetic problems which can cause people to not be able to digest milk (and other things) and this can actualy cause brain damage i dont remember what its called but its not ratialy linked, im just pointing out that it has a probablity that he isnt being racist and this is a serious problem at the same time (if i were you i would get another opinion cuz a month of pain always signles a problem of some kind)... the treatment is only to change the diet and take calcium suplements

methadonfriendly826 is offline Junior Member

What kind of meds were you asking for or expecting to get? If you were trying to get pain meds good luck. Alot of ER's rarely prescribe pain medicine anymore even if you are in extreme pain. They'll tell you to see a private physician or make an appt with a pain management doctor. The reason why they dont anymore is because so many people have abused these drugs. The ones who abuse these drugs ruin it for the people who do not and who actually need pain meds for a legitimate reason. Its a shame

methadon did you know the palcebo effect with pain pills is equal to the effects of morphine and if you tell some one that a pill costs 10 dollars to make and another is 10 cents even if they are the same drug the 10 dollar one will work better. so pain is all psychological and can be managed without pain meds thats why they do this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Psychmajor View Post
    methadon did you know the palcebo effect with pain pills is equal to the effects of morphine and if you tell some one that a pill costs 10 dollars to make and another is 10 cents even if they are the same drug the 10 dollar one will work better. so pain is all psychological and can be managed without pain meds thats why they do this.

Sorry dude but that is coming out of something you read that is a crock. You give me a shot of placebo vs morphine and I don't care what you tell me the cost is I will be able to tell you which one was morphine. This is crazy. Doesn't matter where that information came from it's wrong unless they are giving the medications to an idiot. Nothing personal. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

actualy alot of doc's got in trouble for giving patients placebos instead of actual medication for pain. but you dont have to believe it in the least. there is no physiological reason people experiance pain but the brain tells us there is pain to alert the body that somthing is wrong. you cant just think it away your right in that respect but if your told its morphine you will really think it is... same reason as the non-alcoholic drinks getting people drunk

Anonymous Guest

its a crock

yeh i reckon.
    if i was hanging out. (withdrawing) and someone gave me a placebo, i would sure know. wouldnt matter how much you said it cost, it would not work.
    where as if you gave me the morphine, i could probably tell you exactly how many mgs it was.
    sorry to sound like a know it all,
    but i agree with robert on that one. its an urban myth.

as if a placebo of morphine will help. pleeeeeasse

hm im not sure if it would help with withdrawing because thats a substance related NEED for the body but for a slipped disc or something... and doesnt mater to me, i just dont think many people will make up that they had relief of pain during trials of being given what they were told was morphine (or somthing as strong as morphine... i dont remember what exactly they told them) and you dont sound like a know it all at all

also i read the article, i asked my neuroscientist teacher (biological psychology teacher), and my psychologist who gave me all this information and it really does make sense
    Last edited by Psychmajor; 11-23-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Anonymous Guest

actually i did see something on tv one time, and they were trying out all these new vodkas.
    well these people started all acting like they were drunk, and a bit tiddly, and then later the program people came in and told them it was not vodka at all.
    and they were all blown away. they thought they were drinking alcohol so they acted like they were. some of them really thought they were intoxicated.
    it was funny.

i guess sometimes these placebo tests prove sometimes it could work.
    but definately for a drug addict, they would tell straight away it wasnt what they needed. our bodies are fine tuned for opiates,
    so cool, see im open for good discussion.

just dont "placebocize" my subs. heh heh

cheeky

i love that experiment. its so funny and people feel so dumb after it. i would be pissed if they used placebo to do somthing for withdrawls(like i said i have no idea how w/d would be effected since its a chemical need but even a hard core addict might not be able to tell the diff unless the w/d pain shows while placebo is going)... some of those are life threatening and usualy it means your actively trying to get off the drugs anyway or looking for more in bad cases.

maybe someday ill get bored and try it out on a bunch of people

Anonymous Guest

watch out if you try it on addicts, you may get a response similar to a
    "kick in the head" or something like that.

anyway, i can see what you mean, thats why they do blind tests on things. but i can guarantee you, if they gave a placebo to a drug addict, who needed their hit,
    it wouldn't work, and they might come after you.

good luck. are you studying psychology or something. man you will learn heaps on here by just reading. good on ya.
    cheeky

Psychmajor ...... I would DARE ANY dr to try a placebo on me and think I wouldn't know it. If I break my ankle or tear meniscus in my knee there is DEFINITELY something physically causing my pain. It is NOT in my mind. That is a bunch of nonsense.

Freakin jerks in med schools or drs who claim they can blow smoke on someone who has something really wrong with them should have their ass kicked. I can't even tell you how unglued I would go on you if you tried to do that to me.

And I did ask that person to contact you and answer your questions. You've got lots more questions than you have answers. God bless.

Cheeky ..... I think you and I think a lot alike.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 11-23-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Psyched is offline Member

LOL Robert!
    Also, I'd add trying to tell a woman delivering a baby that her labor pains were all in her mind. Or better yet, try telling a guy who just shot himself in the stomach that the "pain" he's feeling is all in his head! What a crock of ********! I do think that SOME pain is imagined, but there is such a thing as REAL pain.

im not saying it isnt real... like i said, pain is your brain telling you something is wrong (or you can say your body telling your brain that)... if your missing a leg theres definetly something wrong and it will hurt like hell. but this also explains phantom limb pain

"You've got lots more questions than you have answers..." this brings up another question, what? im giving my opinion or using things i have learned about and thought about deeply to give another point of view on the subject

thank you for telling said person

im not saying it isnt real... like i said, pain is your brain telling you something is wrong (or you can say your body telling your brain that)... if your missing a leg theres definetly something wrong and it will hurt like hell. but this also explains phantom limb pain

"You've got lots more questions than you have answers..." this brings up another question, what? im giving my opinion or using things i have learned about and thought about deeply to give another point of view on the subject

thank you for telling said person

I will go along with the phantom limb amputation pain, although it's real too actually, just nerve endings transmitting messages to the brain. The nerve endings feel the same pain the limb felt before it was amputated in reality.

I am happy that you've got a good attitude and took my comments as they were intended. There's been nothing intentionally personal or confrontational against you intended in what I've said. I never meant anything I said to be threatening or acting like a wise guy and you didn't take anything I said that way. At least there's been no reaction of that kind. Thank you for being that kind of person.

People on this forum can express almost any opinions as long as they are done so with everyone understanding that we are all basically alike, or at least those of us that are current or past addicts. I do give you credit for coming here as a student only and participating as much as you have and being open-minded to those opinions that differ greatly with what you've been taught in class. I'm all for a student making a real attempt to learn from those living the reality rather than just depending on books to be the gospel. That's cool! That will obviously produce more professionals with some realistic knowledge, not just what someone wrote for pay. I just ask that you understand that what is proposed in the classroom has a huge margin for error in lots of instances. I know you're quoting what you've been told. You're posting with the best of intentions but still a good portion of this pain business coming from your books is total BS as far as I'm concerned. That comes from almost 60 years of experience. And I am educated as well.

Erin will be the person who contacts you about your questions we talked about earlier. I spoke with her a little while ago. She said she would have no problem with filling in the blanks for you on your questions. Erin has been a member of this forum for years and has my total respect for her knowledge and kindness to those she works with. She doesn't post as often as she used to but I always turn to her when there is a question related to the subject matter in your post that I can't answer with confidence. I know she will answer all of your questions.

Have a good evening and take care. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 11-23-2009 at 08:24 PM.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I saw that vodka TV show. It is actually funny how the mind will play tricks like that. On the other hand, my husband stopped drinking several years ago and switched to non alcoholic beer. I sure he never got buzzed on it. I also saw a show where they served people water from a backyard hose in an expensive restaurant and told them it was really expensive mountain water from Switzerland. In a taste test with other bottled waters, almost all picked the hose water as best so the mind is a powerful thing and it will fool you but if I had surgery and was given a placebo for the pain, I don't believe it would work. I'm sure I'd know the difference and would think it was time to sue someone or more aptly, kill them. Pain is a signal from the brain that something is not right and morphine inhibits the transmittors that send the pain message. I am not a scientist but you don't need to be one to know you don't want a placebo in certain pain situations. EVEN if pain was all psychological, which I by no means think it is, if the pain med after surgery makes me BELIEVE the pain is gone, than the pain is gone.

you would never be told its a placebo until after your recovered or you will instantly go into severe pain. and doesnt mater what you believe it maters what the tested results are. apparently my friend sold some one tylenol and said it was percocet and the girl wanted to buy more... i dont know if she did many drugs before but still

you would never be told its a placebo until after your recovered or you will instantly go into severe pain. and doesnt mater what you believe it maters what the tested results are. apparently my friend sold some one tylenol and said it was percocet and the girl wanted to buy more... i dont know if she did many drugs before but still

The girl was a freakin idiot and your friend would have gotten his ass kicked by me. Drop this dumb ass subject. You're wrong so let it go. You don't know what you're talking about .... you're a kid in school. Get off the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The girl was a freakin idiot and your friend would have gotten his ass kicked by me. Drop this dumb ass subject. You're wrong so let it go. You don't know what you're talking about .... you're a kid in school. Get off the BS.
    before i drop the subject i want to point out that you totaly just used age descrimination on me haha, good stuff. and to make a point... how do you know im wrong have you ever tried it? have you had a double blind controled experiment that reliably will prove my theory incorrect? you say im a kid and yet i think im thinking things through more than you... oh and "You've got lots more questions than you have answers" that you need to propose to your self before attempting to disprove something

every time i read something you write its almost as if you think your instantly correct (first one being the control number of cocain)

p.s. you forgot to put god bless after your last post!!!

I'm not wasting my time with you anymore. If anyone wants to listen to this nonsense they can go for it. You're a child. This is not a forum for debating such dumb subjects. Get your answers from someone other than me. You won't listen, you have all the answers with no experience but some silly experiment your friend did ripping off a girl selling her a tylenol. AND I AM RIGHT. Bye. God bless.

was talking about the clinical test not one my friend did... peace out yo, you never had to reply back to any of the posts. i love it "your a child" hmm so the brain goes through its last cognitive development at ages 17-22 so i can think about concequences and the future just as well as you buddy... and last how is this a dumb subject? lets see, possible addiction/dependancy or placebo which works just as well if they dont know... hm ones more ethical and the other is much healthier

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

psych - Not to belabour this point any further, but when I was younger and doing drugs like >>>>>>, there were many times I purchased drugs that were super low quality or even totally beat (got ripped off for my money). Even though the dealer told me it was quality >>>>>>, I always KNEW instantly upon use that it wasn't. According to your hypothesis, just as the young girl believed she was on percs, I would believe I was high on good >>>>>>. Well, I didnt in any way. I'm not arguing. Keep on with your studies. It's important. BUT, you can find a study somewhere to support almost any belief, especially on the internet. Doesn't necessarily make it true and I have to disagree with your statement that pain is psychological. And again, even if it were totally proven that it was (which it isn't), if you FEEL it, its there, whether it comes from an actually injury or illness or your mind playing games, if it hurts, its pain. Period. And even if its the mind fooling one into believing pain meds are helping (don't believe that), well, if the pain is gone, then there's no pain and thats the goal.
    NYG

when you go in buying street drugs its different than perscribed ones which have a constant effect vs drugs with qualities like you said. your suposed to be sceptical of any street drug you buy and you know that but if someone like a doctor gives you it you would think differently. you would assume its what ever they told you it was because he can lose his job and other things for lying. and its an experiment, most studies are just corrilations (or book work without testing) and those you can totaly make up... there is a positive corralation between amount of students attending college and books sold by the book store. bam i made a study without any work. but i understand where everyone is coming from it's hard to go from one thought you have known all your life then expecting to have that be changed by anything someone says... that will definatly not happen.