misunderstood post polio patient
    akjoha is offline New Member

Unhappy misunderstood post polio patient

I am limited to what drugs I can take as just about all cause bad side affects. Not enough polio Drs that understand. I can take a few low dose 1/2 tabs say 4 times a day, but what with fatigue being one of the worst things with pps, I do better on a higher bp reading. would love to know if anyone else in forum has pps and may have had success with certain meds that I have no knowledge of. Anxiety seems to control me from all the bad medical experiences even with todays medical Drs. I understand there is an extended release Alprazolam but my hmo would probably not cover it anyways, as well as extended release clonidine(catapress). Generics is their theme song. any input will be appreciated, akjoha

Robert_325 is offline Retired

HMO's are often flakey when it comes to covering benzos like xanax. Some do it but lots don't. If your present insurance covers regular alprazolam it will cover the extended release as well. There will be no difference in coverage. I spent years in that industry.

I can only imagine that you have a really tough time finding drs that really understand post polio. It's been a long time since it was a real problem in this country. I doubt many people even know anyone who had has polio unless they are my age or close to it. One of my oldest friends had polio when we were kids. He has struggled with the same things you describe for a long time.

Hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.