methadone itching
    sparkey is offline Junior Member

Default methadone itching

I need someone to try to answer this question for me ASAP. I have an appt. with my pain clinic doctor to see how my methadone treatment for pain has been going. She switched me from 4 10mg perc's a day to 4 5mg pills a day methadone for pain. I have never taken >>>>>> and this is strictly for neuro pain that i have been having since Jan. I was taking vicodin and then went to perc's like i said and never found 24 hour relief. When i started the methadone 2 weeks ago i was taking 2 perc's a day with the 4 doses of meth. I then began immediatly to itch and feel nausa but it helped with the pain more than anything ever did before. Till this day i still itch, but do not feel nausiated. I just spoke to a nurse that is for workman's comp. and when i mentioned that i itch with this drug she said " OH OH" and i said "what?". She said she would let the doc tell me tomorrow what it means and compared me to someone that takes methadone for >>>>>>!!! I have never abused the drugs and only took what was prescribed to me, and i never in my life tried >>>>>>. I am worried now what she is trying to say about me itching with this. She said she would let the doc tell me. Please, if anyone knows what this means before someone confronts me tomorrow i would like to know. I know it is a allergic reaction that it says under " side effects" so what is the big deal that she is saying all this and comparing me to an addict???? The doc knows i have been on pain meds since jan and to tell you the truth, i could care less if i ever had another perc or vicodin again. I just do not want this nurse to classify me as a >>>>>> addict. They can take my urine if they want!!!!! It will only show the med that was prescribed. Thank you to all that answer this before tomorrow am.
    Last edited by sparkey; 07-11-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Dave87666 is offline Member

Itching,and scratching is part of getting high from strong opiates...I always knew that I had a GOOD bag of dope if I started to itch,and scratched til I bled...

Default meth

So,,,,,,,,,the pain clinic gives me a medicine that finally works and takes away my pain and i have no need to take more than 20 mg a day, and the nurse makes it sound like i am a >>>>>> addict???? So i got lucky and finally found a pill and dose that makes me feel better and she makes it sound like " wait and the doctor will tell you" like i am some kind of junky or something?? I don't get it. Well all i can say is at least i know something helps with the pain and apparently if it makes me itch there will be no need to up my dose any higher like i say i have no need to do. Gosh this world is crazy. They finally find something that works and blame my body for accepting a good pill!!! God bless the USA!!!!! Thank you dave. I cannot wait to hear what the doc has to say. Maybe lower my dose so i have pain again? Do they not want you to itch? I myself have heard for pain 20 mg is not high at all. I would much rather be on this than back to the 4 10 mg. of perc's that they had me on for months that didn't do anything for my neuro pain. Trust me,,itching is not a pleasant thing, but i can withstand that more than i could the pain. Your damned if you do,,,,and damned if you don't.

Well methadone clinics are so used to dealing with >>>>>> addicts that Im sure the nurse did'nt just think "oh another junkie"...Usually people that work in methadone clinics,rehabs,detox etc.. Do it for a REASON they actually want to help people out,and most the time they were once addicts themselves..So seriously dont worry so much about being judged it seems like a real problem for you!

Ya know what my Name is Dave and I am a recovering >>>>>> addict...I honestly dont care who here or where ever looks down on me because I'm a "junkie"...I overcame my drug addiction and that takes ALOT for people to do....I had to reply back to this post because what you said struck a nerve in me. You act like all people with drug problems are scumbags or somthing..Well guess what NOT ALL of us are..Im well educated,and im a Chemist,but I got mixed up with dope..I also had/have the strength to admit,and overcome it as well...

BTW 20mgs. is very,very low so I would'nt worry about him making the dose even lower then that...

Cool sorry never ment to offend you dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave87666 View Post
    Well methadone clinics are so used to dealing with >>>>>> addicts that Im sure the nurse did'nt just think "oh another junkie"...Usually people that work in methadone clinics,rehabs,detox etc.. Do it for a REASON they actually want to help people out,and most the time they were once addicts themselves..So seriously dont worry so much about being judged it seems like a real problem for you!

Ya know what my Name is Dave and I am a recovering >>>>>> addict...I honestly dont care who here or where ever looks down on me because I'm a "junkie"...I overcame my drug addiction and that takes ALOT for people to do....I had to reply back to this post because what you said struck a nerve in me. You act like all people with drug problems are scumbags or somthing..Well guess what NOT ALL of us are..Im well educated,and im a Chemist,but I got mixed up with dope..I also had/have the strength to admit,and overcome it as well...

BTW 20mgs. is very,very low so I would'nt worry about him making the dose even lower then that...
    Sorry to anyone out there when i used the term " junky". I was so upset yesterday with the nurse insinuating that i am a >>>>>> addict or have an addiction like one. I am in no way saying that anyone that ever used is a bad person. I myself have family members that are recovering addicts from >>>>>>, and i know people can get clean and live normal lives after. I did read one of your post about you taking >>>>>> for many years dave, and being a phlebotomist in a big city i seen many people who used. I felt bad for them being hooked on something like that and never frowned on them for what i saw, or when they told me what vein i could use.

I am so sorry if i came across wrong, and Dave i enjoy reading all your post you reply to. Actually was hoping that you would be the one to reply because you seem to know the answers to alot of the questions, meds etc. I hope you do not think of me being a bad person for saying " junky" but i am so damn frustrated in this pain i have had this last few months, and being a person that has been shoved around to 12 or 13 doctors ( lost count) and not one doc still can tell me what is wrong with my wrist/hand. They shove me on high medications to take away my pain and then tell me i am a addict.

Thank you so much for answering my questions and please forgive me for offending you. I know we are all on this website for a reason and learning about each other and each others problems is the biggest part to understanding i guess. I will be looking forward to your post, as i do enjoy reading them. Please accept my appology.

Anonymous Guest

Unhappy

Your post did sound like kinda bad...but I am glad that you apoligized.

As far as us addicts go. On this website there are all kinds of them. From whether its abusing pills or herion or crystal or whatever we all have one thing in common:addiction. Its something that only ppl who have been there can understand.

The ppl on here who are recovering addicts are here to say "hey I made it so can you" We know the support is a vital part of recovery. We also know that the addiction world is a lonely place and addicts are afraid of ppl judging them. So we are to give a helping hand and let them know that there is a place were ppl won't judge you and will try to help and understand.

Thats why I ask that you and others please be careful in the future. Trust me there are enough ppl in the world that love looking down on addicts. We don't need any of that here.

And Dave...you take time outta your day to come on here and help others. No "scumbag" would ever do that! You really have come a long way. I have said it once and I will say it again: your inspirational baby!.....

Sparkey I hope you get everthing settled with your pain. If methadone really helps you I say put up with the itching.Its better than having pain. You could probably just take a claritin and you would feel better.

Take care everyone...

Krissy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-12-2007 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Sorry to anyone out there when i used the term " junky". I was so upset yesterday with the nurse insinuating that i am a >>>>>> addict or have an addiction like one. I am in no way saying that anyone that ever used is a bad person. I myself have family members that are recovering addicts from >>>>>>, and i know people can get clean and live normal lives after. I did read one of your post about you taking >>>>>> for many years dave, and being a phlebotomist in a big city i seen many people who used. I felt bad for them being hooked on something like that and never frowned on them for what i saw, or when they told me what vein i could use.

I am so sorry if i came across wrong, and Dave i enjoy reading all your post you reply to. Actually was hoping that you would be the one to reply because you seem to know the answers to alot of the questions, meds etc. I hope you do not think of me being a bad person for saying " junky" but i am so damn frustrated in this pain i have had this last few months, and being a person that has been shoved around to 12 or 13 doctors ( lost count) and not one doc still can tell me what is wrong with my wrist/hand. They shove me on high medications to take away my pain and then tell me i am a addict.

Thank you so much for answering my questions and please forgive me for offending you. I know we are all on this website for a reason and learning about each other and each others problems is the biggest part to understanding i guess. I will be looking forward to your post, as i do enjoy reading them. Please accept my appology.
    Dont worry I am over it,and its a VERY nice thing that you would even appologize to me(that takes courage!) Anyway let us know what the pain Dr. has to say about it,and dont worry about what people there may think..You even said it in your own words,your job is taking blood and you run across people who are hooked on drugs(probably alot of colapsed veins) and you feel bad...So trust me nurses,Dr.`s etc.. in these places feel bad just as you do...So like I say dont worry about it,and get your pain all straightened out....

Krissy once again thanks for posting you're always such a sweetheart,and you have come along way..I also enjoy reading your posts and chatting with you

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Default Itching a common opiate side effect

Hi Spark:
    Itching is actually quite common with morphine like pain killers.Try benadryl for the itching.You can get the syrup or pills of benadryl now.You should in time get over the itching but until you do try this.Good luck and I'm glad the 10mgs BID is working better for you.....Dave

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    Hi Spark:
    Itching is actually quite common with morphine like pain killers.Try benadryl for the itching.You can get the syrup or pills of benadryl now.You should in time get over the itching but until you do try this.Good luck and I'm glad the 10mgs BID is working better for you.....Dave
    Gosh i still feel like such a a@@ for saying what i said yesterday. I thought for sure everyone would jump on my back and post replies about how terrible i am etc. This site is by far the best bunch of people as far as understanding the frustrations and pains that one goes through , and how sometimes we say things without thinking. I for one did that yesterday. I discovered this website not to long ago, and have been learning from it daily. I think we are all pretty much in the same boat, some worse than others but all stick by each other. Words really cannot express how grateful i feel that you guys would accept my applogies.

As far as the doc today, the doc ended up doing a urine test as the nurse probablly requested it thinking i was doing hard drugs other than what was prescribed for me. I really have nothing to worry about, as i took all my meds when i was suppose to and nothing more. I am sure it was a drug screen test and depending what they are looking for it may be sent out to another lab to be tested and can take up to 5 days. I know this from experience. I just pray that everything comes out okay up to their standards of what they expect and what they are looking for. I thank everyone again for all their help.

Anonymous Guest

Talking

Aawww thanks Dave! I appreciate your kind words. I like chatting with you too...

Krissy

Sparky---First of all don't sweat it! I've been called a junkie a million times so its all good..Im here to help people,and recieve help from people so I am actually kinda mad at myself for just jumping down your throat I should'nt have lost my cool and I am sorry for that..

Now the drug screen is standard,and you're correct they do it to make sure that you're not abusing anything(my suboxone Dr. tests me every visit)...Anyway I take it that he did'nt drop the dose on you right? I HIGHLY doubt that he would drop it since you're on such a low dose,just make sure to tell him that you're comfortable at that dose(that will pretty much tell him right there that you are NOT looking to abuse drugs)...Well good luck and let us know how everything works for you...

Krissy-You're welcome,and thank you again for all the nice things that you have to say about me...

Yes i did tell her that i was comfortable with the 20mg a day. She agree'd with me and did not up it at all. She said that if i keep itching she will have to try something else. Sofar i can live with the meth level i am at and do not want anymore. The itching is not as bad as it was in the beginning. I still have the pain i feel but not enough to want to take a perc like i said unless i feel i am heading to bed with pain. Then i would take one and be back to my usual self. If i overdo my arm that is when the pain gets intense. They want me to use my arm at OT/PT. Today is the big day. I get my other EMG with the needles this time to see what is going on. The last EMG was with tape and all the doctors did not like the idea of the tape. So it is being repeated. I hate to say i hope something comes up, but it is so hard not knowing why i am having nerve pain so bad so i hope it shows so i do not look like i am lieing and just want to be out of work. I love my job and hope to get back to it soon. Keep your fingers crossed it is something that is cureable and that they do find out the root of the problem today. Thanks again for everything.

kaileyb is offline Member

methadone is great for pain. it lasts so much longer and you don't have to take as much as u did with painkillers to keep pain away. it worked great while my back was hurt.

the itching is VERY typical. i have itched and itched from it. you should get more used to it, and everyone is right, benadryl and things of that nature really DO help, esp if you're having a hard time getting to sleep becuz of that itch!

Quote Originally Posted by kaileyb View Post
    methadone is great for pain. it lasts so much longer and you don't have to take as much as u did with painkillers to keep pain away. it worked great while my back was hurt.

the itching is VERY typical. i have itched and itched from it. you should get more used to it, and everyone is right, benadryl and things of that nature really DO help, esp if you're having a hard time getting to sleep becuz of that itch!
    Well the results are in!!!! The emg did show i have a slowing of the the wrist with mild distal neuropathy as in CTS. I had the surgery already, and the doc thinks that it is RSD from what he saw of my hand/wrist color , swelling etc. That is the 4th doctor now that has said it is RSD but noone wants to officially diagnose me with it as it is so hard to diagnose. He also stated that i need further testing to the cervical disc. It is so clear to see my hand color changing and the swelling is so bad in the inside of my wrist i do not know WHY they do not agree.

The methadone is working good. I did take a perc today due to the needles they put in my neck etc. I know i should stay away from them, but i am down to only 1 perc every other day or so just for the pain when it gets really bad, otherwise the meth. controls the pain very well. The itching has almost gone now. I did not want to take the benedryl with the meth as i take enough pills now that i did not want to add one more. I am trying to stop taking all these pills. Funny i tell the docs to take me off some things and they refuse. Good luck to everyone out there and thanks again for replies.

Anonymous Guest

Smile

Hey Spark's

Glad to see your pain is stabilized. Good luck to you

Thank you krissy,,,,,so wonderful to have a place to vent. You guys are wonderful. Sofar another good day on Meth. Hardly feel the pain.

Glad to hear it Sparky! I responded to a few of your other posts as well..

MikeyMike1970 is offline New Member

Sparkey, don't take this the wrong way at all..I believe you when you say you have never used >>>>>> before..Its just unfortunate that there are people in this world that will asume because you are on Methadone you are an addict.And let me add here to those that do, just because a person is an addict, it doesn't make them bad people, you have to look at what led them to taking >>>>>> in the first place..But please do enlighten me as to why you are then on a Methadone script...Sorry to say this, but the majority of Doctors stopped prescribing Methadone for pain releif sometime back in the 70's..And it is mostly nowdays used for >>>>>> addiction..Most Doctors will nowdays prescribe MST (A proprietary preparation containing morphine (a controlled narcotic drug, which is the principal alkaloid of opium). Also known as Morphine Sulphate, MST is normally taken twice a day and is designed as a slow release variant of Morphine.) for any sort of severe pain relief...I am a Nurse Practioner and your answer would interest me, and I might just be able to give you some advice..Its not unknown for Doctors to prescribe the wrong thing..

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMike1970 View Post
    Sparkey, don't take this the wrong way at all..I believe you when you say you have never used >>>>>> before..Its just unfortunate that there are people in this world that will asume because you are on Methadone you are an addict.And let me add here to those that do, just because a person is an addict, it doesn't make them bad people, you have to look at what led them to taking >>>>>> in the first place..But please do enlighten me as to why you are then on a Methadone script...Sorry to say this, but the majority of Doctors stopped prescribing Methadone for pain releif sometime back in the 70's..And it is mostly nowdays used for >>>>>> addiction..Most Doctors will nowdays prescribe MST (A proprietary preparation containing morphine (a controlled narcotic drug, which is the principal alkaloid of opium). Also known as Morphine Sulphate, MST is normally taken twice a day and is designed as a slow release variant of Morphine.) for any sort of severe pain relief...I am a Nurse Practioner and your answer would interest me, and I might just be able to give you some advice..Its not unknown for Doctors to prescribe the wrong thing..

Sparkey hasn't been here for two years so you're not going to get a reply from him. Check the dates on the post.

Methadone IS used for managing longterm chronic severe pain all the time. They didn't stop prescribing it in the 70s. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.