Medication costs more then I make!
    Worriedaboutmybro is offline New Member

Default Medication costs more then I make!

Geodon 40mg costs more then $120 a month, at absolute cheapest.
    Benztropine 40mg costs more then $20 a month, at absolute cheapest.

The doctor who prescribes them currently racks up the total cost to some $300 a month. This on top of medical bills we have to pay means that it is impossible to live on the min wage paycheck even with full time, let alone this economy.

Connecticut has a min wage of $8 an hour, significantly higher then other places in the USA, yet we cannot afford this KEY medication because the bills are so high. We do not have insurance, since he was laid off after an incident related to his medicine strength change, and his new job does not provide coverage.

Does anyone know of a good PAP program that can help us? Schizophrenia is something that stays for life, and I can't stand to see my brother freak out and break down any more. His trigger stems from stress, even small amounts, and uncontrollable fear, paranoia and nonsense consumes him. We really need assistance, since we cannot afford to pay for the medicine and eat.

Ones we've looked at, but we were looking for others besides these three listed from drugs.com inquiry. Namely one for cogentin.

Geodon ones listed:
    Connection to Care - Cannot do.
    Pfizer Pfriends - Cannot do.
    Together Rx Access - Possible, our only hope at this point.

Psyched is offline Member

Worried,
    I suggest you talk to the hospital, especially if it has a pharmacy. I work at a hospital and they have a fund to help patients pay for their meds, if they make them pay at all. Of course, it's only for people who really need the help. Since it sounds like you definitely do, then I would start there. Also, you might see if your brother can qualify for MHMR services (no it's not just for people who are mentally challenged); lots of our patients are on MHMR assistance because they have no insurance and can't afford the help they need; so you might check that out as well. Hang in there, because I'm positive others will log in and give you other excellent suggestions. Good luck! Keep in touch.

Worriedaboutmybro is offline New Member

Thank you both, I will definately look into the programs. We live in CT, so MA is really close, like 5 miles from where we live. MHMR seems like a good route and Needymeds to.

The hospital which was in for three weeks seems reluctant to help, but maybe with the right push from his doctor it will work. I really would like to know why the cost of a locally produced drug is twice as expensive as listed online. :/