I am tired of being tied to my meds...can't afford
    LK2008 is offline New Member

Thumbs down I am tired of being tied to my meds...can't afford

I am sure most of the people here feel like me from time to time, I am just so sick of being sick. I have Lupus and Fibro, I have my good days and my bad days with all the rain lately I have been having a lot of bad days. The pain gets so bad, it's all I can do to get out of bed or I am so tired I can't enjoy the the nice days. They are getting to be few and far between here in WI. My problem tonight is the cost of my prescriptions have gone up so much I can't afford them anymore. I am on disibility/medicare which I am greatful for but I just don't get their thinking. I went from paying $1.00 a prescription to $10.00 and $20.00 for them. My income is only SSD, hardly enough to live on to begin with but now? It's getting to the point that I have to choose eating over my meds or stopping some meds so I can afford the more important medications. How do I choose? None of my Dr.(s), (I have 6) have samples of my meds and I have insurance so I am not eligible for prescription assistance. I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I am at a loss as of what to do. If anyone has an idea of how I can overcome this obstacle please et me know ....I just want to cry. Of course the med that I really need (Cymbalta) is the most expensive, on top of that Doc wants to increase the dose which would up the script to $40 a month. I take 10 medications on a daily basis. I am just at a loss and getting more depressed because Im out of the cymbalta and in so much pain. Can someone help me? Give me some leads? Anything?
    Just tired

elisejk is offline New Member

Default Help with Rx costs

There are several websites you should look at - you can probably get your prescriptions for free, or low cost

www. needymeds.com
    www.togetherrx.com
    www.phrma.org
    www.rxhope.com

There are companies that will fill out the forms for you, contact your doctor, etc. - but they will charge you a fee for doing it. If money is tight - you can do it yourself. The forms are easy to fill out.

Take a deep breath - a big stretch - and a container of Haagen Daas ice cream - you can get help.

sammyb88 is offline New Member

I have the same problems with my meds. What you need is someone in the medical community to constantly hook you up with free samples. It saves me lots of money. I only get scripts filled when I have to.

mom2my3boys is offline New Member

Definately call your med manufacturers. Almost all med comps will get you into a program through them so you continue to take their meds and usually it is low or no cost to you. Find out who manufactures what meds and call their customer service #. They WILL help you!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LK2008 View Post

I am sure most of the people here feel like me from time to time, I am just so sick of being sick. I have Lupus and Fibro, I have my good days and my bad days .................................................. ............

My problem tonight is the cost of my prescriptions have gone up so much I can't afford them anymore. I am on disibility/medicare which I am greatful for but I just don't get their thinking. I went from paying $1.00 a prescription to $10.00 and $20.00 for them. My income is only SSD, hardly enough to live on to begin with but now? It's getting to the point that I have to choose eating over my meds or stopping some meds .................................................. ............

None of my Dr.(s), (I have 6) have samples of my meds and I have insurance so I am not eligible for prescription assistance.....

I just want to cry. Of course the med that I really need (Cymbalta) is the most expensive, on top of that Doc wants to increase the dose which would up the script to $40 a month. I take 10 medications on a daily basis ...............................

Can someone help me? .................

I am wondering about your insurance on disability. Are you using medicare or have you gone with an HMO instead of your medicare? I ask because I also have autoimmune illnesses like you. I am also on disability. I pay a total of $46 a month out-of-pocket for my prescriptions. Most of them are less than $5. My most expensive script would normally cost almost $300 and I do pay $26 for that one. But the rest are minimal in cost. The previous suggestions are fine but if you have insurance you probably won't qualify for free meds or for meds that cost less than your co-pay. If your drs can't keep you in samples then you need to make some changes.

There are lots of HMOs that you can carry in lieu of medicare, you don't have to pay a premium, and the medicine costs are very low. Medicare pays the premium for you. Go to the following link ... it's for the state of Wisconsin. Hope this helps you some. Good luck.

http://oci.wi.gov/srissues/wimedch.htm

Feel free to contact me if you need more help. I began working in this industry in 1975. It won't be that difficult to fix this problem.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-05-2008 at 12:17 AM.

sandyfaye is offline New Member

Smile Check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by LK2008 View Post

I am sure most of the people here feel like me from time to time, I am just so sick of being sick. I have Lupus and Fibro, I have my good days and my bad days with all the rain lately I have been having a lot of bad days. The pain gets so bad, it's all I can do to get out of bed or I am so tired I can't enjoy the the nice days. They are getting to be few and far between here in WI. My problem tonight is the cost of my prescriptions have gone up so much I can't afford them anymore. I am on disibility/medicare which I am greatful for but I just don't get their thinking. I went from paying $1.00 a prescription to $10.00 and $20.00 for them. My income is only SSD, hardly enough to live on to begin with but now? It's getting to the point that I have to choose eating over my meds or stopping some meds so I can afford the more important medications. How do I choose? None of my Dr.(s), (I have 6) have samples of my meds and I have insurance so I am not eligible for prescription assistance. I am caught between a rock and a hard place. I am at a loss as of what to do. If anyone has an idea of how I can overcome this obstacle please et me know ....I just want to cry. Of course the med that I really need (Cymbalta) is the most expensive, on top of that Doc wants to increase the dose which would up the script to $40 a month. I take 10 medications on a daily basis. I am just at a loss and getting more depressed because Im out of the cymbalta and in so much pain. Can someone help me? Give me some leads? Anything?
    Just tired
    Go on the web and look up Lupus and Fibro Foundation, They may be able to help you. Hope this helps some times they know places or people that can help. God bless, and hang in there.