husband on methadone need help and info
    jnr2626 is offline New Member

Default husband on methadone need help and info

my, husband is on methadone. and when it comes to making love he is not interested any more he says it is the methadone it makes him this way . is their any one ealse like this.can methadone make it hard to get aroused.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Methadone lowers mens testosterone levels and thats why his libido is gone.Ask his doctor for a bio-available testosterone blood test.If he is low (and I'll bet he is) then he can go on either the pills or gel that you rub on your arms and chest everyday or there is the shots.Whichever he chooses (most people choose the patch) it will take a little while for it to kick in but when it does he will be his old self.So don't take it personnely it's not you it's the low testosterone level......Dave

luvmyman is offline New Member

My husband also has Low Test. He has been on replacement therapy (the gel or injections for 4 years) PLEASE KNOW THAT THESE REPLACEMENTS ARE VERY LIKELY TO CAUSE DECREASED SPERM PRODUCTION AND INFERTILITY. We were not told this prior to starting therapy and now find ourselves in Infertility Hell.
    Just wanted to share what our doctors didnt.

kiri12 is offline New Member

Please follow this program to detox www.theroadback.org 1St the follow this program wwwcassmd.com Mayo clinic uses them!! It TRULEY WORKS!!! GOOD LUCK!

Definitely!It can kill your sexual desire.Don't know how to solve this problem,but yes,it can take the place of the pleasureable part of the brain that triggers sexual arousal.Maybe a more knowledgeable member can give more info.If you really love him,don't give up.Good luck.

Dicey is offline New Member

Default Making Love On Methadone

I'm no professional, but my Husband and I have been in MMT for over 5 years now. Like any other medications, there are good and bad that goes along with Methadone treatment. My Husband has had the same problem in the past. But as his body adjusts to the methadone, it gets better with time (or My Husband's did). But then again, when he does get "aroused", boy--does he get "aroused"!I guess what I'm trying to say is that at first, I thought our sex life was destroyed, but after awhile, I really feel like it has helped, to a certain point. It's like we don't have sex (or Make Love) as often, but when we do, it lasts longer. Hang in there, I betcha it will get better!

BTW--I was wondering if anyone out there has any good links to addiction forums, or any websites on Methadone?

Hi Dicey: I have been an addict for 28 years with the past 5+ years on methadone (and doing great).
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-05-2010 at 10:55 PM.

sparkey is offline Junior Member

Cool

I have not posted for awhile now. Some may remember me as being with a workers comp injury of my wrist/hand. I was put on methadone after trying all kinds of pain killers from the PM ( pain management ) doctor. It was the only thing that ever helped me not want pain pills such as oxy and vicodin. I thought it was great until i started getting meth and oxy at the same time. I started taking 2 oxys a day with 20mg of meth and worked my way up now to 3 oxys a day with 20 mg of meth. I get really bad sweats with the methadone and now the doctor said next month she is going to put me on Oxycontin and get rid of the meth. I do not know the mg. yet, but i am sure it will probably be 40 a day.

I have never had oxycontin before and never wanted it. I just have so much pain still in my hand/wrist and the methadone was not cutting it. I did not want to up the meth as in the beginning i was itching and now i am sweating so bad i cannot stand it any longer. I really do have fear of getting even more hooked now that i will be on Oxycontin. Even hearing the name i feel like an addict. My husband would be furious if he knew i was going to be taking them instead of the percs and meth. I know the oxycontin is the same as the percs , just a timed release. But of course he has the fear the same as i do from people we have heard of getting hooked etc. I do not know what to do before the 3rd when i get my meds changed. Just when i thought i was doing good on the meth alone and not needing the oxys. Why is it that if you take the percs with the meth that you no longer have the meth take away that urge to do the oxys anymore??? I just do not get it.

20mgs a day of methadone would convert to 50mgs of oxycontin a day (remember everyone's tolerance is different).Taking oxycodone when your already on 20mgs of methadone will just raise your tolerance.The blocking effect that methadone is known for doesn't usually kick in until you reach a minimum of 80 mgs a day.So 20 mgs of methadone a day is very weak.How are you taking the methadone???If you can you can take 10 mgs twice a day rather then 5 mgs 4 times a day.Methadone has a half life of up to 36hours so you don't need to take it every 3-4 hours.I actually take mine just once a day.
    Ask your doctor about provigil for the sweating!!For the itching you can take benidryll safetly as long as you take it as prescribed.
    Usually the hyperhydrosis (massive sweating) goes away or lessens in severity over time but like I said there are safe meds that can control that.
    You would be far better off on taking just methadone as the percs really aren't much good after awhile and all you end up doing is taking more and more of them with little pain relief.Oercocets and vicodins ect are made for acute oain and really aren't much good for chronic pain as they are weak and don't have the power to maintain your pain for more than a couple hours at a time if your lucky.Anyway ,good luck......Dave

circa9870 is offline Junior Member

mpvt I strongly disagree with you about not needing the short acting meds. As you probably know these meds are called 'breakthrough' meds. For me they are a necessity. Not everyone needs them but some do. I for example take mine about every other day and I ussualy take 2 on those days (4-6hours apart). I would much rather do this than raise my methadone dose and be tired all of time. Right now I am also on 20 mgs. I choose to take some breakthrough meds when I need them instead of raising my methadone and being more affected 100% of the time and therefore less functional on the days where my pain is already controlled. THis is why breakthrough meds are important. They allow the patient to take those extra meds for the time when there pain begins to get out of control, but without raising their long acting dose so high that they are sedated all of the time. Believe me, if I were to raise my methadone high enough to cover all of my breakthrough pain I would simply be lying on the couch half asleep all day. For this reason I think that the combination of short and long-acting meds is far superior to choosing one or the other for pain control. Though my results may not translate to everyone, I have heard a good number of patients say similar things.

I hope that everyone has a painfree day and I hope that everyone finds answers to the problems they are trying to solve.
    Circa

Hi Circa: I 8understand what your saying and for someone that doesn't have a addiction problem then yes break thru meds are useful.As you said you don't take them everyday so your methadone is doing the job.Break thru meds aren't really supposed to be used daily as like you say they are for break thru.If a patient is having to use their break thru meds daily then they need to raise their sustained release med.All in all as long as there isn't a abuse problem then break thru meds have their place.Hope that helps you understand what I mweant.Have a good day......Dave

bambam10476 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dicey View Post
    I'm no professional, but my Husband and I have been in MMT for over 5 years now. Like any other medications, there are good and bad that goes along with Methadone treatment. My Husband has had the same problem in the past. But as his body adjusts to the methadone, it gets better with time (or My Husband's did). But then again, when he does get "aroused", boy--does he get "aroused"!I guess what I'm trying to say is that at first, I thought our sex life was destroyed, but after awhile, I really feel like it has helped, to a certain point. It's like we don't have sex (or Make Love) as often, but when we do, it lasts longer. Hang in there, I betcha it will get better!

BTW--I was wondering if anyone out there has any good links to addiction forums, or any websites on Methadone?
    Methadone Today