how to approach???/
    mbrusven is offline New Member

Question how to approach???/

I have been taking tylenol 3 for abut 3 years now for back pain.They are no longer working as well as they once were. I am given 8 a day.It use to be enuff . I want to discuss with my doctor about tylenol 4.That way i will be able to take more if needed without the risk of too much tylenol..as I continue with alternative procedures....My problem....I am affraid to discuss with my doctor about this med change because of all the problems that ive had with my age."your too young to have back pain" It scares me to think that they think im doing it just for the drugs......

I dont want to move to opiods do to the high risk of addiction factor and i dont think that those drugs are the right fit for me at this time in my life if im going to be dealing with chronic pain fo rthe rest of my life...i dont want to start out on some thing strong then 20 yrs down the road when those dont work.Then what?

ANY ADVICE ANY ONE?

fitzcoyote is offline Junior Member

Hey there,
    I am new to this web site, and am here for my fiance...but I saw your post, and I don't know what kind of back pain you have or why, but I am 28 years old and have three completely blown disks that had compressed my nerves and were buldging! So, I went through physical therapy as my job required since the day the last straw settled I happened to be at work ( I was an EMT) so, once out of three months of PT 3x's a week and one month of perc's and flexirol (muscle relaxer) I started yoga...very very very very cautiously.... and not at a gym, I went to a studio....the stretching really helped me from tightening up, the alignment classes kept all of my bones where they should be and the vinyasa (movement) classes got my support muscles stronger...I iced regularly and took OTC anti-inflammatory meds if I felt pain...some times my mom had a naproxin (perscript. antiinflam) which really helped...so, yoga is not something just everyone can jump on into...but it is worth a try, maybe you can help your problem so that all you will need are the T-3s when it is really bad....hope I could help a little....
    "If the horse don't pull you have to carry the load"

...always pondering~

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbrusven View Post
    I have been taking tylenol 3 for abut 3 years now for back pain.They are no longer working as well as they once were. I am given 8 a day.It use to be enuff . I want to discuss with my doctor about tylenol 4.That way i will be able to take more if needed without the risk of too much tylenol..as I continue with alternative procedures....My problem....I am affraid to discuss with my doctor about this med change because of all the problems that ive had with my age."your too young to have back pain" It scares me to think that they think im doing it just for the drugs......

I dont want to move to opiods do to the high risk of addiction factor and i dont think that those drugs are the right fit for me at this time in my life if im going to be dealing with chronic pain fo rthe rest of my life...i dont want to start out on some thing strong then 20 yrs down the road when those dont work.Then what?

ANY ADVICE ANY ONE?
    You may also want to find out if nerve blocks are an option for you.For the most part I would insist on drugs because I am a drug addict and preferred opiates but the nerve block shots have worked for me on occasion.I am in recovery now from addiction and had a nerve block about a month or so ago and this one is working great.Sometimes they just don't work though.It is worth looking in to.As Fitzcoyote mentioned physical therapy may be an option too .Good luck to you.

Psyched is offline Member

Mbrusven,
    As anyone can tell you, I'm all about patients being their own advocates. You might be scared to discus with your doctor about trying something else, but I know he'd feel better about you telling him how you feel rather than continuing to take something that is ineffective. Be open and honest with him about your concerns and worries and see if he can't find something that you both can live with. Living with pain is not good because if you don't get help from him in alleviating it, you might turn to other sources down the road and that won't do you any good. Talk with your doctor and I'm sure he'll be more receptive to helping you, especially if you tell him the things you just told us. Good luck and God bless.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by mbrusven View Post

ANY ADVICE ANY ONE?

Everyone's advice is correct. All the extra things we can do to alleviate pain is certainly recommended. At the same time the drs depend on the patient to tell them what is hurting or whatever. They are not psychic. If you are sprawled out on the floor doubled over in pain the dr will pick up on it. But if you just hurt they don't know. Tell the dr how you feel. Even tell him about the feelings you have of being apprehensive about telling him. I promise you that the dr will appreciate your honesty and will likely pay more attention to what you tell him after that. They need our help. God bless.