Help with methadone clinic
    skip2mylou26 is offline New Member

Default Help with methadone clinic

Hi, tomorrow will be my first time going into a methadone clinic.. I have been addicted to opiates for the past two years. I talked to someone at the clinic on the phone and they said that I will have to go in and get evaluated before seeing the doctor the next day. My question is, when I go in the first day will they be able to give me anything to make me feel better?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Are you sure methadone is the best answer after having used for only two years? I would question going on methadone after using for two years. Tell us more about your history please. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

skip2mylou26 is offline New Member

I have tried everything else.. At this point I feel like there is nothing else I can do.. I took subs and they didn't work. All I'm going to do is go back to >>>>>> and oxycontin. I take up to 5 80 mg oxycontin a day.. I don't know what else to do at this point

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by skip2mylou26 View Post
    I have tried everything else.. At this point I feel like there is nothing else I can do.. I took subs and they didn't work. All I'm going to do is go back to >>>>>> and oxycontin. I take up to 5 80 mg oxycontin a day.. I don't know what else to do at this point

I understand and I'm not saying methadone is bad. I would though say that after using a couple years suboxone should work for you if you've done it properly. I just hate to see you get into the methadone program too early, when you could possibly give it another try with suboxone if you haven't done it the way the following link suggests.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Did you do the sub program like the link describes? Were you relapsing after blowing off using the suboxone properly or did you ever actually stay on it a while and taper down properly to zero? I'm just curious what exactly happened while you were on suboxone?

If you can't do the sub program then methadone would be next. It's a longtime commitment if you go on the methadone maintenance program. Just be sure you want to do that. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Anonymous Guest

Default Just make sure

Hi I just wanted to share with you that we began with opiotes ,increased , and then went to fentanyl ,and finally >>>>>> all to keep from w/d. We went the suboxone route and not even in a good way. You have Robert's plan to follow and i am sure he will help you along the way. We started three months ago and were screwed up from the beginning because I listened to Drs.and then tried to do it by myself. Anyway since following the taper plan very closly we are done . We are off all opiotes and the suboxone ane we are fine. I was never on Methadone but fron what I have read i would try the subs first. You have been on pills for two years i would hate to see you get stuck on Methadone without trying Subs in a proper way. Just my opinion -keep us posted and feel free to post if you have any questions aboutwhat we did Linda

KnightSlayerRon is offline New Member

U surely don't want to get on Methadone Maintenance if u don't have to. Do they offer a 30,60,or 90 day detox there.

PFIZERD.O. is offline New Member

Default doubtful...depends what state, type of clinic etc..

chances are you wont get dosed until the m.d. evals you personally. THEN ABSOLUTELY YOU WILL GET RELIEF(aka.dosed) low dose and titrated prn daily. the dose regardless of amt. will definitely make a difference in your withdrawel state. they use the severity of your presenting withdrawel symptoms as the baseline of induction dose. hope you know what you are getting into. it;s one of the hardest drugs to detox off of...and side effects are vast. abuse potential strong and if you want to discontinue treatment...once you get tired of the strict rules and steady reporting in standing and waiting in line...you will be strongly dissuaded! And ...keep in mind should you ever have a problem with a false positive u/s, or oral swab randomly given, or problem with aNY Rule, staff member, nursing issue, client rights etc...you will never win. only stating facts not scare tactics...in spite of the fact it's a scary situation ,even for the model client.

LillyF40 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightSlayerRon View Post
    U surely don't want to get on Methadone Maintenance if u don't have to. Do they offer a 30,60,or 90 day detox there.
    Skip has already mentioned that he tried Suboxone and it didn't work. We aren't doctors, so we can't tell him what to do, and by him going to a methadone clinic, he will be seeing a doctor. I have been on methadone for 20+ years, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. That doesn't mean that I think everyone should get on methadone, in fact had Skip not tried Suboxone already, I would have suggested it. I don't think they have 21 day tapers anymore. I know our clinic has a 180 day taper and that seems to be working so far. Skip, methadone is a long term commitment, and if you are ready for the challenge, go for it. However, you can't get on methadone and say a month later decide its not for you. Think long and hard about this..When I say I have been on 20+ years, I should have said off and on. Had I listened to my heart and gotton on methadone maintenance in 1984 instead of listening to my doctor, parents and 12 step programs, I would have never been through the He** I went through. Stealing, selling myself, losing everything. Just to make everyone else happy. Methadone is not for everyone, but only you and your doctor can decide that. just don't listen to people who say that the clinic is like liquid handcuffs, for me, jail is handcuffs. If you give clean UA's in 3 months you will get a take home, and within a year, you will only have to go in once a week. amd in some States maybe only twice a month. When I go on vacation all I do is tell my conselor a few days before and I get as many as I need, up to a 30 day supply. but the longest I go out of town is a week As long as you stay clean, you won't jave any problems, and when and if you are ready to taper, you and your doctor can do a taper that is not the horror story that a lot of people tell you it is. My ex got off of methadone and he had a week where he didn't sleep real good, and he got his first cold in years (always taper in the summer) But he got through it fine and has been clean since Jan 1, 1997. He started the taper in Jan 1996. so it took him a year with hardly any WD's at all,,Whatever you decide, good luck to you....

LillyF40