• 1 Post By jaypbarb666
  • 1 Post By Titty Puff
  • 1 Post By pongo64
  • 1 Post By Submenot
  • 1 Post By BugnOut
  • 1 Post By amberwish
Help I'm Detoxing Off Suboxone!!!!
    jessika712002 is offline New Member

Angry Help I'm Detoxing Off Suboxone!!!!

I'm down to 4 mg. of suboxone a day, now I don't know what to due next,when should I go down again and how much should I take without feeling any withdrawal
    systoms,I'm also on Xanax 1 mg 4 times a day, I've been taking them since I started suboxone being closely monitiored by my wonderful doctor,the xanax is actually helping me get through my anxiety,and relaxes me,but I just need help from getting off suboxone. Can I stop at 4 mgs being such a low dose or should I taper off some more and how???Please if someone can help me get off suboxone the safe way I would really appreciate any feedback,I'm all alone in this
    Thanks

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Most people do well tapering their dose by 25% about every four days. You shouldn't have any problems following that protocol at 4mg. Are you stable at 4mg or what's happening?

NO you shouldn't stop abruptly at 4mg. That is NOT a low dose. I induct people at 2mg or less all the time. Here is the link for the sub therapy process I have used here to work with people for years. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

jessika712002 is offline New Member

Default I'm still at 4 mgs of Suboxone

I can't seem to go down from 4 mgs of sub. I tried to skip a day but the next day I was feeling ??????,I don't know what to do at this point,I am stuck,If anyone can help me through tapering down more,I will take all suggestions,I've been On 4 mgs for about a week now Please Help???

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jessika712002 View Post
    I can't seem to go down from 4 mgs of sub. I tried to skip a day but the next day I was feeling ??????,I don't know what to do at this point,I am stuck,If anyone can help me through tapering down more,I will take all suggestions,I've been On 4 mgs for about a week now Please Help???

Jessika ..... Don't skip ANY days at this point. You need to take your dose every single day, it's very important. You stay at a particular dose for about four days until you're stable, then reduce the dose by 25%. If you're at 4mg you would reduce the dose to 3mg, but DON'T skip any days. It's very important at this point to maintain a steady dose of medication in your system at all times .... the same amount each day at the same time each day. If you follow what I'm telling you then it will be easier. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

jaypbarb666 is offline Member

In my experience what makes suboxone hard to stop is that doctors instruct us to take it once or twice every single day and it's half life is much longer than that, so we are constantly taking more into our bodies when the last dose is still effective. I've noticed as long as I took a dose every 24 hours, no matter how small it was, I never felt bad. I mean I started out at 16mg per day for a few months then went down to 8 with no problem, then 4, then 2, all within a matter of months. I went all the way down to 0.5mg per day from 16 (sometimes even 24) without ever feeling ??????. It was only when I tried to jump to 0 I would notice withdrawal effects approx. 36 hours after my last dose. I would take .25mg monday morning and feel fine until trying to sleep tuesday night when I noticed restless legs, chills, etc... My doctor got me on a program of alternating .5mg and .25mg per day for a month and then getting down to .25mg per day for a month and eventually just .25mg every other day. If you can get to .25mg every other day you should be able to jump with very little to no withdrawals.

Since you already got xanax to help with restless legs and anxiety, the only other 2 ????ty (no pun intended) sides are diarhea and no control of body temp, both of which can be cured with plenty and plenty of water. Avoid caffeinated beverages during your quitting of suboxone and stay hydrated. Water does miracles for our bodies, it will boot the toxins out faster and will battle against diarhea, digestive problems, muscle cramps, headaches and most other bad withdrawal effects. Oh and xanax won't hurt. Good luck to you and listen to robert - 4mg per day is too much to jump off of and suboxone tapering is a very slow, tedious process, don't be afraid to take 6 months or longer just on your downward taper, not even counting how long you took it before deciding you were ready to be totally clean.
    amberwish likes this.

Titty Puff is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaypbarb666 View Post
    In my experience what makes suboxone hard to stop is that doctors instruct us to take it once or twice every single day and it's half life is much longer than that, so we are constantly taking more into our bodies when the last dose is still effective. I've noticed as long as I took a dose every 24 hours, no matter how small it was, I never felt bad. I mean I started out at 16mg per day for a few months then went down to 8 with no problem, then 4, then 2, all within a matter of months. I went all the way down to 0.5mg per day from 16 (sometimes even 24) without ever feeling ??????. It was only when I tried to jump to 0 I would notice withdrawal effects approx. 36 hours after my last dose. I would take .25mg monday morning and feel fine until trying to sleep tuesday night when I noticed restless legs, chills, etc... My doctor got me on a program of alternating .5mg and .25mg per day for a month and then getting down to .25mg per day for a month and eventually just .25mg every other day. If you can get to .25mg every other day you should be able to jump with very little to no withdrawals.

Since you already got xanax to help with restless legs and anxiety, the only other 2 ????ty (no pun intended) sides are diarhea and no control of body temp, both of which can be cured with plenty and plenty of water. Avoid caffeinated beverages during your quitting of suboxone and stay hydrated. Water does miracles for our bodies, it will boot the toxins out faster and will battle against diarhea, digestive problems, muscle cramps, headaches and most other bad withdrawal effects. Oh and xanax won't hurt. Good luck to you and listen to robert - 4mg per day is too much to jump off of and suboxone tapering is a very slow, tedious process, don't be afraid to take 6 months or longer just on your downward taper, not even counting how long you took it before deciding you were ready to be totally clean.
    I'm studying to become a medical professional and I see no reason why you can't reduce your dose from 4mg to 2mg. You have to do it within a reasonable time though, like you can't reduce to 4mg and then the next day to 2mg. Wait 5 days into your 4mg and then reduce it to 2mg. Wait 5 more days and reduce it to 1mg. You should then be able to start taking 1mg once every other day, and then on the 5th or 6th day cut it in half to 0.5mg. From there, you should be able to kick it within or after a 5 day period, if not reduce it to 0.25mg and take it every other day, and kick it within a week, or week and a half entirely.

Remember, when you're getting off drugs, you HAVE to make plans to GO OUT and do something so you DO NOT focus on the drug(s). That's most of your withdraw is mental. You should also get a sleeping medication like Ambien - it works MIRACLES.
    amberwish likes this.

pongo64 is offline Member

IMHO, my entire life as an addict was due to me self-medicating. Since I am educated I feel like i am smart enough to figure out what my body needs and my ego helps as well. When I finally let go it was by following the plan the Dr had for me to a "T". I was fortunate to find someone who really knew his stuff. When I went down to 2Mg per day it was so very hard to let go. It was all of the fear. I clung to the drug wincing at the thought of wds….holding that film under my tongue as long as possible.

What worked for me was taking the 2Mg at different times during the day. The first day I skipped was horrifying; I took my dose the day prior as late as I possibly could. It may sound silly to some, but it is not to an addict. IMO…do what the Doc says. If you don’t think she/he knows what she/he is doing, find another.

Oh and puff's advice above is stellar. Get busy, you can do this.
    Last edited by pongo64; 07-25-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added
    amberwish likes this.

Submenot is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jessika712002 View Post
    I'm in the tapering boat too. The one thing I've learned from my experience is that Suboxone is deceptively strong. REALLY deceptively strong. I mean, at one point I was on 32 mg, so 16 mg sounded 'low'. That's so crazy, especially now that I'm on .3125 and measuring out these tiny drops that actually give me symptoms. I had no clue and lots of us don't until we get there. You will do yourself a huge favor if you understand the strength of Sub and follow a reasonable tapering schedule. Don't drop from 4 to anything under 3. Also, try not to cause yourself too much trouble right now, because it gets trickier under 2 mg and especially under 1 mg. At 4, you can still drop pretty comfortably. If going to 3 is too hard, try 3.5 one day and then try 3 again. Stick with it and never take a bunch extra if you are feeling yucky, because it stays in your system so very long.

Submenot
    amberwish likes this.
    First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

BugnOut is offline New Member

Default Im right with you jessika712002

PLEASE READ THIS

I live near Tampa, Fla. It has to be one of the worst places in the US for opiate addiction. Not >>>>>> either, Oxycodone (Roxies). I guess to get to the point I became HEAVILY addicted to Roxies. For about 2 years I was using 10 plus Oxycodone 30mg's a day, basically as many as I could get my hands on. What made matters much worse was that I chose to start IV'ing them mainly with-in the last year of my use. Brilliant, I know. Nobody needs to tell me how stupid that was, believe me.

Then along came that one morning that nearly EVERY recovering opiate addict I have spoken to has. I woke up, SIK AS "F", of course and I said to myself, I have had enough of this. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired (sorry for the cheesy cliche). I decided that that morning I wasnt going to play darts with my arm anymore. Now why I woke up and had enough of that particular day, I dont know. It wasnt becasue of people telling me I need to quit or anything like that. It was simply me saying thats it, NO MORE. I wish I new what made my mind go that direction that morning so I could share it with all who still are suffering but I simply dont know. But I can guarantee you this, if you are still using you will have that one moment, that epiphany, that you say enoughs enough also. I wanted to quit for along time prior to this specific morning but couldnt. I told myself over and over that I was done with this and tried and tried but always failed. *On this morning I didnt tell myself that I had enough MYSELF TOLD ME that I had enough*....ha...take a second to read that last sentence again if you have to because I feel that is VERY important to ANYONE trying to recovery. Until that happens your chance of recovery is minimal (my opinion only).

I called a Pain Management Clinic in my area (one of the many local clinics that were over prescribing EVERYONE with Roxies) and asked for help. I had read about Suboxone and had several friends that recommended it. Imade and appointment and they saw me with-in 3 hrs of me calling asking for help (Suboxone). I went in the dr's office VERY SICK. He immediately asked me if I have heard about Suboxone and I said yes and he explained a few things to me and gave me a script for 16mg's and day. I was prescribed the Suboxone films. The highest mg they come in is 8mg, so I was prescribed 2 8mg's films a day. He told me I would be on them for approx 7-9 months. I said ok, whatever, just so I wasnt sick anymore. So with-in 6hrs of waking up that morning I was already on Suboxone. Just some info for anyone who doesnt know Subs act VERY QUICKLY. As soon as I got them at the pharmacy I put 2 under my tongue in the car, in the parking lot at the pharmacy. It didnt take but 15-20mins for my with-drawl symptoms to subside %100. I mean I felt like I had NEVER ever been sick that day. That absolutely blew my mind that I hadnt done this prior to this day.

So lets fast forward to today, Dec 22, 2011. I am now ADDICTED to Suboxone. Suboxone is an amazing drug, at first. I swear you will think they are GOD SENT. But there is a down side with Suboxone. I wish my story could continue the was you have been reading it, however things have changed.

First of all I feel the doctor WAY over prescribed me. Comparatively, to other cases similar to mine I know he over prescribed me. But anyway, my doctor never once told me that I should start tapering down the dosage. For about 5 months I was simply so satisfied with what they were doing for me that I didnt think about how or when I was going to quit them. I was still on 16mg's a day that whole time. So one day I really started feeling a financial stain from buying these every month.

Doctor visit: $150 pr mo
    Suboxone: $360 pr mo
    Total: $510 pr mo

So I started researching myself before my next Dr's visit how the hell am I going to quit these now. To make my already too long of a story shorter I am down to 8mg's a day instead of the ridiculous 16mg's a day. I have been down to 8mg's for a month now and when I take half that (4mg's) a day I feel, well just bad. I cant really explain the feeling. I get depressed and extremely irritable. Some people say that they had no detox or with-drawl effects from Suboxone and some people do. Of course I in the group "of some that do". One thing that I can say is that the with-drawls arent as bad as what I was going through with the pills but dont get me wrong this is no walk in the park either. Its a completely different with-drawl feeling which is a very ugly feeling also but there is not as many physical with-drawl issues. (like the runs, shakes and that sort) Its more mental.

There are so many conflicting reports people are giving about how to taper off, and what to do and what not to do. I guess that stems from some people feel a with-drawl and some dont.

I guess that what Im looking for is someone who has had or is in a similar situation that I am in right now so I can learn what they are doing to get off or if I can help them in anyway I would be glad to. I want to quit taking these things EVERYDAY.

I also want to say that if your still using and your wanting to quit and you are reading this your mving in the right direction....keep walking the path your walking and it will come. Dunno when or how long it will take but hang in there it will come.
    amberwish likes this.

JJPappy is offline New Member

BugnOut,
    Sorry to hear your felling bad. i looked into Suboxone myself and I know there is long term and short term methods. It sound like you dropped to fast. I would either wait and see if your brain will adjust or bump it up just a little. A lot of people are on these for a long time and it is expensive.

I am on day 8 of detox (first 5 days in a hospital getting brupenorphine and now that is completly out of me I also feel extremly bad. I am not young and it's a rough journey.

I think about suboxone every day and it is to expensive for me and remember suboxone has a long half life, so the 4th day will be worse.

Lots of detox centers for Suboxone detox because it is hard to get off.
    i have also read some people did great on it, but i really think it's the doctor that needs the real education. It's a real money maker for thes doc,s and then there is the Doc's that are very well educated on it.

I also Pain Mgmt and was on the 30mg roxis and 25 Fentanyl.

Wish I had some good advice but I think know matter what if you want to be that aggresive in decreasing you just might have to feel bad for little while.

Good luck and there is lot of info out there.

amberwish is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaypbarb666 View Post

Thanks Jay, your post was very informative! Im presently in the process of tapering with the wonderful help of Denny and I just started today with .35 mg at noon and thats it. This is my very first day of taking suboxone once a day. This is some tough stuff. I actually thought I could me clean by 2012 but Im having my doubts because of the anxiety and rls. Today I COULD BARELY WAIT TILL NOON TO TAKE my .35 mg of sub. I felt awful and annoyed that Im in this darn situation again. But this is it for me. My first time on subs and my last. I am truly going to be done with opiates for the rest of my life .....well one day at a time of course. I go to AA and I plan on working a program of recovery....sponsor 12 steps etc...... Ive had it with being a slave to pills. I KNOW i have to be patient with these subs though. I cant rush it. If I want to do this right I have to pay attention to the people that have gone before me. Denny has been a God Sent and i plan on listening to everything he has to say. I DO however like the way your doctor tapered you. You sound like your doing well and can certainly help people. Thanks for your post!
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Titty Puff View Post
    I'm studying to become a medical professional and I see no reason why you can't reduce your dose from 4mg to 2mg. You have to do it within a reasonable time though, like you can't reduce to 4mg and then the next day to 2mg. Wait 5 days into your 4mg and then reduce it to 2mg. Wait 5 more days and reduce it to 1mg. You should then be able to start taking 1mg once every other day, and then on the 5th or 6th day cut it in half to 0.5mg. From there, you should be able to kick it within or after a 5 day period, if not reduce it to 0.25mg and take it every other day, and kick it within a week, or week and a half entirely.

Remember, when you're getting off drugs, you HAVE to make plans to GO OUT and do something so you DO NOT focus on the drug(s). That's most of your withdraw is mental. You should also get a sleeping medication like Ambien - it works MIRACLES.
    Thanks for your post. I definitely agree with you about staying busy so your not dwelling on getting off drugs. I for one am down to .35 mg once a day. I will tell you that I tried to do .25 a day.....staying busy and still wanted to kill myself from the withdrawal. This is no joke im realizing. I actually thought I COULD be done by 2012. Im not thinking thats going to happen. Today was my first day at .35 all at once at noon. Let me tell you.....I watched that clock from 9 am on. It was tough. I am now realizing I should have gone out for a run or something but when your going through it you learn the hard way sometimes. Like I said....this is harder than I thought it was going to be. Im learning to take it VERY slow and like Denny told me having a positive attitude will do wonders. Im determined to do this.....thanks for your post.
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Submenot View Post
    I'm in the tapering boat too. The one thing I've learned from my experience is that Suboxone is deceptively strong. REALLY deceptively strong. I mean, at one point I was on 32 mg, so 16 mg sounded 'low'. That's so crazy, especially now that I'm on .3125 and measuring out these tiny drops that actually give me symptoms. I had no clue and lots of us don't until we get there. You will do yourself a huge favor if you understand the strength of Sub and follow a reasonable tapering schedule. Don't drop from 4 to anything under 3. Also, try not to cause yourself too much trouble right now, because it gets trickier under 2 mg and especially under 1 mg. At 4, you can still drop pretty comfortably. If going to 3 is too hard, try 3.5 one day and then try 3 again. Stick with it and never take a bunch extra if you are feeling yucky, because it stays in your system so very long.

Submenot
    I really like your post submenot. I am presently at .35 and oh my God this stuff is potent. I am following Dennys directions....who is a pro at helping people on this forum and today was my first day at .35 once a day. I took it today at noon and I watched the clock from 9 am till noon in agony. Looking back now...I probably should have gone out for a darn run or something. I tried on fri or sat to take .25 once a day and wanted to die. Denny instructed me to do the .35 and it has worked.....today is the first day with only one dose a day though. So far so good. I took it at noon like I said and now it 4:30 and I feel fine. I have klonipin and soma to help me at night time. But I like what you posted about how strong subs are and how tricky this can be especially when you get under 1mg. Thanks soo much for your post.
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by BugnOut View Post
    PLEASE READ THIS

I live near Tampa, Fla. It has to be one of the worst places in the US for opiate addiction. Not >>>>>> either, Oxycodone (Roxies). I guess to get to the point I became HEAVILY addicted to Roxies. For about 2 years I was using 10 plus Oxycodone 30mg's a day, basically as many as I could get my hands on. What made matters much worse was that I chose to start IV'ing them mainly with-in the last year of my use. Brilliant, I know. Nobody needs to tell me how stupid that was, believe me.

Then along came that one morning that nearly EVERY recovering opiate addict I have spoken to has. I woke up, SIK AS "F", of course and I said to myself, I have had enough of this. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired (sorry for the cheesy cliche). I decided that that morning I wasnt going to play darts with my arm anymore. Now why I woke up and had enough of that particular day, I dont know. It wasnt becasue of people telling me I need to quit or anything like that. It was simply me saying thats it, NO MORE. I wish I new what made my mind go that direction that morning so I could share it with all who still are suffering but I simply dont know. But I can guarantee you this, if you are still using you will have that one moment, that epiphany, that you say enoughs enough also. I wanted to quit for along time prior to this specific morning but couldnt. I told myself over and over that I was done with this and tried and tried but always failed. *On this morning I didnt tell myself that I had enough MYSELF TOLD ME that I had enough*....ha...take a second to read that last sentence again if you have to because I feel that is VERY important to ANYONE trying to recovery. Until that happens your chance of recovery is minimal (my opinion only).

I called a Pain Management Clinic in my area (one of the many local clinics that were over prescribing EVERYONE with Roxies) and asked for help. I had read about Suboxone and had several friends that recommended it. Imade and appointment and they saw me with-in 3 hrs of me calling asking for help (Suboxone). I went in the dr's office VERY SICK. He immediately asked me if I have heard about Suboxone and I said yes and he explained a few things to me and gave me a script for 16mg's and day. I was prescribed the Suboxone films. The highest mg they come in is 8mg, so I was prescribed 2 8mg's films a day. He told me I would be on them for approx 7-9 months. I said ok, whatever, just so I wasnt sick anymore. So with-in 6hrs of waking up that morning I was already on Suboxone. Just some info for anyone who doesnt know Subs act VERY QUICKLY. As soon as I got them at the pharmacy I put 2 under my tongue in the car, in the parking lot at the pharmacy. It didnt take but 15-20mins for my with-drawl symptoms to subside %100. I mean I felt like I had NEVER ever been sick that day. That absolutely blew my mind that I hadnt done this prior to this day.

So lets fast forward to today, Dec 22, 2011. I am now ADDICTED to Suboxone. Suboxone is an amazing drug, at first. I swear you will think they are GOD SENT. But there is a down side with Suboxone. I wish my story could continue the was you have been reading it, however things have changed.

First of all I feel the doctor WAY over prescribed me. Comparatively, to other cases similar to mine I know he over prescribed me. But anyway, my doctor never once told me that I should start tapering down the dosage. For about 5 months I was simply so satisfied with what they were doing for me that I didnt think about how or when I was going to quit them. I was still on 16mg's a day that whole time. So one day I really started feeling a financial stain from buying these every month.

So I started researching myself before my next Dr's visit how the hell am I going to quit these now. To make my already too long of a story shorter I am down to 8mg's a day instead of the ridiculous 16mg's a day. I have been down to 8mg's for a month now and when I take half that (4mg's) a day I feel, well just bad. I cant really explain the feeling. I get depressed and extremely irritable. Some people say that they had no detox or with-drawl effects from Suboxone and some people do. Of course I in the group "of some that do". One thing that I can say is that the with-drawls arent as bad as what I was going through with the pills but dont get me wrong this is no walk in the park either. Its a completely different with-drawl feeling which is a very ugly feeling also but there is not as many physical with-drawl issues. (like the runs, shakes and that sort) Its more mental.

There are so many conflicting reports people are giving about how to taper off, and what to do and what not to do. I guess that stems from some people feel a with-drawl and some dont.

I guess that what Im looking for is someone who has had or is in a similar situation that I am in right now so I can learn what they are doing to get off or if I can help them in anyway I would be glad to. I want to quit taking these things EVERYDAY.

I also want to say that if your still using and your wanting to quit and you are reading this your mving in the right direction....keep walking the path your walking and it will come. Dunno when or how long it will take but hang in there it will come.
    Burnout, thank you for sharing your story. I can totally relate to how you feel when reducing sub. I feel like an emotional wreck. I feel sad, suicidal,,,etc. the only think that is getting me through is the people on this forum. Denny and Sookie are the 2 people that I keep in touch with every day.......I guess you can say I have become accountable to them. But as you probably know by now because your post is a few days old and I am just now reading it......there are so many that can help you....Robert, Cheekysod, etc........ Just ask and they will help. This disease , well dont get me started because I cant curse on here but I hate it. It hurts everyone in the addicts path. We become animals. I am coming to the end and I thought I could be done by Jan 2012 but I just dont know,, this is some tough stuff to get off of. And boy did you nail it when you explained how you put the 2 strips under your tongue and it all just went away. Man, if we only knew how hard the future would be getting off the subs. Gotta love this bleepin disease!!!! Thanks for telling your .......very short version of hellish path you have lived.
    Amber
    CoryGriffin likes this.

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BugnOut View Post
    PLEASE READ THIS

BugnOut ..... That is an amazing story and you have made it all so very clear and I thank you for that. Unfortunately your story is also very familiar. I would just suggest that you read the Induction and Taper Plan devised by Robert 325 here on this forum. You have most likely already been reading or may even be very familiar with it also. But I will still put the link to that plan below and you should pay carefull attention to the taper portion.

Basically the plan states that you remain stable on your current dose for about 4 days or so and then reduce that dose by 25%. Then just keep repeating this until you are down to the dose range of between 0.06mg - 0.25mg or thereabouts. The lower you can reduce, the better it will be for you.

I totally understand your frustrations and I sympathize with you. But you really should consider reducing your dose down as quick as you can. Once you do that you should begin to feel much better. As the Subs are so powerful, with them actually less of them are really more of a benefit to you! You will feel better the lower you go on most cases. Of course everyone is so different and what works for you may not be the same for others.

So just try to begin there ok? Ask for the help of Robert 325. Be patient as he is a very busy man, but he should see your post and hopefully get to you soon. If not then I would be glad to offer my help in any way that I can. Just read the plan and post any questions and someone will get back to you. You take care and hang in there. It does get better and being clean is so worth it. I hope that this helps. God Bless....Denny

Induction and Taper Plan
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html