cymbalta vs paxil cr
    rhurley is offline New Member

Default cymbalta vs paxil cr

My doctor changed my medicine from 25mg paxil cr to 60mg cymbalta. Has anyone else out there started taking cymbalta? I think the Paxil Cr is better but i have only been on the cymbalta for a week and i dont know if its been long enough to tell! I suffered from anxiety attacks and mild depression. Can anyone help with anwsers?

hensleyhill is offline Junior Member

Hello, I just switched from Cymbalta 60 mg to paxil cr 12.5mg. The Cymbalta will take about 4 to 6 weeks before you notice a significant change. The cymbalta was not enough for me. I was on it for about 6 months. I have only been on the paxil about 5 days. Of course I have not noticed a change in myself yet.

Let me know if I can be of any anymore help.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I switched from Zoloft to Cymbalta, I suffer a chronic pain condition and the Cymbalta is supposed to help with nerve pain as well as depression. Well I tried it for about 6 months and nothing at all! I was taking 30mgs twice a day. My depression, OCD, anxiety and everything just kept getting worse and it didn't even touch my pain at all.

Recently I talked to my doc about it and switched back to Zoloft, wow, it made a big difference, I was feeling better in just a few days. So I was not impressed with Cymbalta at all.

Also remember that you were on PaxilCR, which is a controlled release, so it is time released in your body all day, the Cymbalta isn't, it is just a regular instant release drug.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Aurarisma is offline New Member

Default Give Cymbalta Time

I suffer from Nerve damage and depression from it all .. I was on Cymbalta and it made the pain and suffering far far away... it was awesome... I tried Paxil and I must have had a reaction .. had to be taken to a hosptial via ambulance.. it really changed the rhythmn of my heart and gave me anxiety attacks.. I would never recommend Paxil for anyone... I cant believe how it altered me terribly.... Cymbalta is amazing but you have to give it one month
    and possibly take 60 mg.

Also Clonapan if you have anxiety attacks.. like .25 on occasion ..

Get a breathing tape and do it once a day... it will teach you breathing exercises that will fortify you and you might not need the meds .. sooner than you think ..
    Blessings,
    Aurarisma xo

drugbuster is offline Banned

Default Cymbalta Info

The average suicide rate is 1 per 10,000

The suicide rate on Cymbalta is 1 per 600

Your doctor gets bonuses from the drug companies for the amount of drugs he prescribes.

Please read the info sheet that came with the prescription regarding "side effects".

Tim

prozackills2002@yahoo.ca

immanurse70 is offline New Member

Exclamation Cymbalta is working for me...and other info

for the above poster....Doctors do NOT get any kind of kickback from prescribing meds. lol, this is a very well spread RUMOR. It is not so. The new antidepressants are marketed and given to doctors to give out as samples, the clinical studies are already done so they know what side effects and goods and bads occur with each drug. Of course the newer meds are hopefully better so the doctors will prescribe them if they are educated about the drug. The drug companies make their money from patients...people who actually find relief from the drugs. It has nothing to do with the doctor... just FYI...

as far as paxil vs cymbalta, i have been on paxil for years and my depression has gotten worse and at times is unbearable. ive always been afraid to try anything new because i have in the past and always had some sort of reaction. Well, couldnt make it to work so knew it was time. Started Cymbalta 60 mg and wow, almost immediately have felt like a new person. No side effects and will probably increase to the maximum dose when able to. This stuff is very expensive compared to Paxil but if you suffer from panic/anxiety disorder, you could always add in a benzo such as Klonopin, i take 3 mgs every day. yup! im way up on the anxiety scale as well as fibromyalgia pain which ive been able to stop taking narcotics since the cymbalta, maybe you needed a higher dose??? Paxil is HORRIBLE to come off of unless replaced by another serotonin type drug. I dont ever want to experience withdrawel from any of these drugs so i accept that i will take them for the rest of my life because my body NEEDS these chemicals to function. No biggie!! Be better if they were free though Good luck..dont listen to rumors, only you know what makes you feel best, i just wanted to say that after taking paxil for soooooooooo long, i now feel like a new person on Cymbalta, there are many many other options as well, dont give up till u find the right one!!

yackyackyack is offline New Member

How long did it take you to get off of the Paxil and on to the Cymbalta?

yackyackyack is offline New Member

I also forgot to ask do you take the Cymbalta in the morning or at night? Its seems to make me tired in the morning.

Annalee is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhurley View Post
    My doctor changed my medicine from 25mg paxil cr to 60mg cymbalta. Has anyone else out there started taking cymbalta? I think the Paxil Cr is better but i have only been on the cymbalta for a week and i dont know if its been long enough to tell! I suffered from anxiety attacks and mild depression. Can anyone help with anwsers?
    Hi, I just detoxed off cymbalta. awful it was, I must say! I guess it works for many, while on it, but wait till you have to get off it! Thats the hard part.
    I guess if I had known how bad it was, I would have never used it at all. But thats me.

Seamus1952 is offline New Member

What is the rate of suicide with no medication?

I just called my cousin who is a neurologist and asked if they get any "commisions" from the cymbalta folks. He said no, only samples and bagels.

Different drugs work for different folks. I do read complaints from people on a given medication for depression who are told to wean off but go cold turkey and complain about the terrible side effects.

I have been on everything made at one time or another. The problem I have is nothing seems to work for more than a year or two. Cymbalta worked pretty well for the two years I took it. I can't think of any serious side effects. I know everyone is different. Neutral weight effects, a little indigestion but easy to handle. Don't judge it until you have a month in.

I just weaned off of cymbalta, took a few weeks but nothing severe. it was because I found a better combination that worked for me. lamictal and T4 thyroid meds. No side effects but still working with dosage.

I am Bipolar II, still have some anxiety problems but have much of the depression under control.

All the best!
    Last edited by Seamus1952; 07-24-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling

sasah83 is offline New Member

Default Cymbalta is a delayed release drug

Quote Originally Posted by zippysgoddess View Post

Also remember that you were on PaxilCR, which is a controlled release, so it is time released in your body all day, the Cymbalta isn't, it is just a regular instant release drug.
    Just an FYI, Cymbalta is a delayed release drug, not instant release. It just doesn't have CR/XL etc. in the name because Cymbalta has no other forms (instant release). It is enteric coated, meaning it doesn't release the drug until it is in your intestines instead of being broken down in the stomach.