Colonoscopy/Endoscopy
    Maf0123 is offline New Member

Red face Colonoscopy/Endoscopy

I had forgotten I am scheduled for a colonoscopy/endoscopy tomorrow
    morning and had a small omelett with spinach, onion and mushrooms around 8:00am today along with a medium coffee with cream & sugar. Will the Bisacodyl and HalfLytely clear this out?

HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maf0123 View Post
    I had forgotten I am scheduled for a colonoscopy/endoscopy tomorrow
    morning and had a small omelett with spinach, onion and mushrooms around 8:00am today along with a medium coffee with cream & sugar. Will the Bisacodyl and HalfLytely clear this out?
    I know this is an old post and already the procedure has either been done or possible rescheduled.
    For all those that might be in the same position that answer can not be answered as everyone is different. I have ulcerative colitis so I have to be scoped regularly. Sometimes it was yes and sometimes it was no as I have had enough of this to know. Best advice is to advise the medical team doing the procedure asap and let them make that call. The fear is not so much that food particles will obstruct the viewing but decaying food matter in the colon produces methane gas which is why people pass gas and methane is explosive when contained inside an enclosed area such as the colon. The fear and precaution here is that any methane gas in the colon while the procedure is being done should any anomaly be found many times a small loop of wire is passed through the scope and the anomaly, usually a polyp, is snared with this wire and the wire has a charge of electricity put through it to heat it up so it essentially not only hot wire cuts the anomaly but also they can pull it out with the snare. This hot wire is hot enough to cut through tissue so often times that means that if you ignite the combustible gas inside the colon well you get the picture. It won't be pretty and a routine procedure immediately turns into a life threatening high emergency. You won't be going home anytime soon and depending on how bad the bursting is well use your imagination then multiply it by a hundred and you have the mess that needs to be put back together. TELL THE MEDICAL TEAM IMMEDIATELY WHEN FOOD IS INGESTED WITHIN THE NON FOOD CONSUMPTION TIME. THIS IS CRITICAL!!!

Henry