chronic fatigue
    marissa2h2h is offline New Member

Default chronic fatigue

I am concerned having had chronic fatigue and polyalthrialgia for four years now after taking a drug for skin complaint, the Dr thinks I will not recover and may end up in a wheelchair. I am a mature student in my second of a four-year course. I have the luxury of planning my own day at the moment so if I have a tired attack I can go to bed immediately, but a full time employer will not understand this, I’m worried I will never hold down a job for very long, hence go back to the way I was before my degree, living in poverty and disgusting living conditions, due to lack of energy and not being able to keep up, physically or mentally, with a job. I am coping ok at the moment with my degree, but hoping for the future, are there any more success stories, or coping mechanisms for anyone with this condition?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Are you taking any anti-depressants???You need to eat a high protien diet with CFS.You also should exercise daily be it lifting weights to even going for a walk twice a day.CFS is a bugger but you can live with it,try not to let it get you down and definately don't let it stop you from realizing your dreams.Hang in there,it can be done and is done all the time......Dave

fadedhorizon is offline Junior Member

You can't live life with "what if", sweetheart. If people were supposed to live in the future, we'd have time machines to take us there. Life life for today, not tomorrow. That's how it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by marissa2h2h View Post
    I am concerned having had chronic fatigue and polyalthrialgia for four years now after taking a drug for skin complaint, the Dr thinks I will not recover and may end up in a wheelchair. I am a mature student in my second of a four-year course. I have the luxury of planning my own day at the moment so if I have a tired attack I can go to bed immediately, but a full time employer will not understand this, I’m worried I will never hold down a job for very long, hence go back to the way I was before my degree, living in poverty and disgusting living conditions, due to lack of energy and not being able to keep up, physically or mentally, with a job. I am coping ok at the moment with my degree, but hoping for the future, are there any more success stories, or coping mechanisms for anyone with this condition?
    Dear Marissa,
    If you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, you need to be diagnosed with it and go to a proper clinic for recovery -- you CAN and must recover, and most doctors do not understand the condition... I was diagnosed with classic Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 1.5 years ago -- at the Harborview Medical Center Chronic Fatigue Clinic in Seattle, WA.. they are absolutely excellent, and leaders in the world research for the condition... I am greatly recovered, like most all others that they treat -- I was not able to work - your mental capabilities go to nearly null, no energy at all!! feel sick, swollen glands, painful muscles, very poor sleep, etc... extreme weakness... I'm sure you are familiar with all the symptoms...

It takes dedication and work to recover, but what most of the research has found is that your body has taken a major 'hit', illness, stress, or whatever may have triggered the CFS (sounds like you had a drug reaction), and now your biological clock is out of kilter, which affects your sleep pattern, adrenal system, brain functioning, immune system, endocrine system, etc.. hence all the symptoms..(I know, it feels dreadful, like your dying or something) like a total break down of the body...Recovery takes the form of mostly cognitive behavioral therapy -- retraining your body to give it the 'cues' it needs to reset this internal clock, and build up the muscles and strength that is nearly completely lost... It is SOOOO possible ,and I understand completely how you feel...
    You need to contact them, or have your doctor contact them, and have them either send you information to receive proper help in your area, or whatever you might need -- I COULD NOT have recovered on my own -- and I always was very fit, and strong, and thought I knew my body extremely well (did a marathon, etc.) but it took them to show what was actually going on...
    While you wait for treatment -- beware of 'coping'.. you need to think of retraining your body -- don't "Boom and Bust" or use a ton of energy one day, then get sick and be out of it for 3-4 days or whatever... do the SAME thing everyday no matter how you feel, if you feel like you are getting sick, you are doing too much, and need to lessen, but make sure you do the same exercise every day, graduall increasing. DO NOT take naps, no matter how hard... this is EXTREMELY difficult in the beginning, I know, but you HAVE to signal your bio clock to sleep only 9 hours or less at night only... if you feel soo sleepy, try going for a bit of a walk, around the room if you can, or even just stand up - I don't know how bad you are, if you are bound to a wheelchair as some are, but they can help you soooooo much...

Beware of any drugs - I had a major reaction to an antidepressant, which I was given for sleep, (which DOESN"T help by the way, now I sleep wonderfully)... but they and other sleeping/pain drugs can affect you much and worsen your condition.. It is important to know that most CFS patients are extremely sensitive to drugs in your weakened condition, and that isn't the way to go to recover - it isn't addressing the problem...

So yes, lots of hope for you!! but you need to get the right help -- Contact them at Harborview, and I'm sure they will direct you as needed... I can send you the packet for recovery they gave me too, if you would like to start with that...

Again, your doctor probably doesn't understand your condition - that is what they told me at Harborview too... uneducated doctors may think you are depressed, or whatever, but it is not true... you may feel hopeless because of the condition and its grave difficulties, but you can and will recover!

Hope and prayers for you!!!
    Elizabethmarie

Dear Marissa,
    Please let me know if this information helps you -- I really know that you can recover, but it sounds like you are not receiving the help you need -- please let me know if you would like more contact info, or the research/recovery packet that they give patients like us... or anything -- I don't want to see anyone suffering from this unnecessarily!!! I know it may seem impossible right now - I too was in bed, hardly able to move about, for a couple of years had it, then in about 7 months after starting at Harborview, I was sooo much better!!!!
    please let me know... if there is anything I can do to help..
    lots of blessings,
    Elizabethmarie

Brynn is offline New Member

OK, I'm confused.
    I just replied to this identical message, posted in the General Forum, by robertjulian. So, I won't repeat myself, but marissa2h2h, please look at the thread in the General Forum, for more hopeful info. Good luck