can't afford prescriptions
    LinB10 is offline New Member

Default can't afford prescriptions

I was wondering if you could help me with a situation regarding a friend. This is a lady in her mid-20’s who has had epilepsy all her life. She is on three different anti-seizure medications and has been for quite awhile. Her new employer could only offer a discount prescription program that topped out at $600. She just went to order the medications and was told she needed to pay a total of $1500.00 in order to get them (her portion). She is a payroll clerk in Greenville, SC and just doesn’t make that kind of money.

I don’t know if you have any programs that would be of a benefit to her, or know of any place that could. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could give me in this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LinB10 View Post
    I was wondering if you could help me with a situation regarding a friend. This is a lady in her mid-20’s who has had epilepsy all her life. She is on three different anti-seizure medications and has been for quite awhile. Her new employer could only offer a discount prescription program that topped out at $600. She just went to order the medications and was told she needed to pay a total of $1500.00 in order to get them (her portion). She is a payroll clerk in Greenville, SC and just doesn’t make that kind of money.

I don’t know if you have any programs that would be of a benefit to her, or know of any place that could. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could give me in this.

There are always programs available for ongoing chronic health conditions to help honest people who are trying to do the best they can. Epilepsy is a serious condition and she needs to stay on her medication.

I just did a quick search for you regarding assistance in Greenville, SC. The following link looked like the best one to me. There are actually three different clinics involved in this particular program. They say they provided over 24,000 prescriptions last year at no charge for those who qualify in the Greenville area. Check this link out ....

http://www.scha.org/scfmca_location....ame=greenville

If this doesn't work for you you can go right back to the page I pulled up while doing a Google search. Here is the page of links that you could also refer to. Check out this page of links too .....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

There are obviously places in Greenville, SC that can help. Sometimes it's a little humiliating to have to admit we need help and go through the hassle of jumping through hoops to get the help we need. There are always so many people everywhere trying to milk "the system" that it makes things difficult on those who have legitimate problems and require assistance. But these programs are for people who really need help, so convince your friend to follow through on this. I hope this information helps. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Robert -- Thank you so very much for your help and advice. It is always hard to watch someone who is really trying to struggle in this way. She has once before tried to "stretch" her medication by taking less (with not good results!) so that can't be an option. Will certainly look up and try your suggestions. Thank you again.

icandoitin08 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by LinB10 View Post
    Robert -- Thank you so very much for your help and advice. It is always hard to watch someone who is really trying to struggle in this way. She has once before tried to "stretch" her medication by taking less (with not good results!) so that can't be an option. Will certainly look up and try your suggestions. Thank you again.

Have her check with her local drug stores. Here in Michigan most offer a discount program for free for people who do not have insurance. But that is Michigan. Good luck to her. I feel for her. My in-laws struggle with the cost of their scripts too it is such a joke what the pharmaceutical companies make off of medications.
    Cheryl
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Every day you don't use, Give your
    self a HUG and do something nice for
    yourself!

Thank you, Cheryl, I will do that. It was also suggested to me to try the drug manufacturers directly. She would need to provide her financial information, but they would help with expenses. The problem with a lot of this is that there is insurance at the agency she works at. It is just very minimal and not very good. That was what started this whole things was that there was a $600 cap on her medications and when she did her renewals, her cost to receive them was $1500. This is an impossible amount for someone who works at a lower priced job and pays for her apartment, food etc to make her own way.

Thanks for all the advice.