Addiction Prevention...
    Breakeron is offline New Member

Unhappy Addiction Prevention...

I have been taking Percocets since 2007, after being bumped up a tier from Tylenol 3. At first I was skipping days taking my percocets, but in the last years I have been doubling and even tripling the doses every day. My doctor had tried Ms-Cotin, Methadone, and Vicodin. In the last month I moved from NC to TX, expecting to get my usual meds. I was wrong. In the last 2 weeks I resorted to crushing up my old MS-Cotin. Hell I even searched my car until I found the 9 pills I had dropped over the last couple months. Saturday was my last day on Oxy (the days seem to blend).

I am a chronic pain patient due to a kidney disease. being off of the pain meds makes my kidneys feel like somebody just dropped kicked me....

Today was/feels like my last days of withdraw (I feel basically fine, no cramps, etc). On the 21st of July I have a Pain Management Appointment. What should I do to avoid the addiction? I am not going to be holding the pills, my wife is (that prevents me from taking more than prescribed). Should I take them every other day? Will that help? What about every two days? Either way I need the pain relief.

Any advise would help

No withdawls at all anymore.

I have tried staggering Tylenol with Ibuprofen, to no avail.

Any tips for pain management/if I should just go back on oxy?

Some posts talk about bearing through the pain they have......I don't think I could do that....something like a knife in your side that hurts so bad you fall down....literally fall down. If you/anyone has had kidney stones then imagine that everyday for the rest of your life....thats the boat im in.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Breakeron View Post
    I have been taking Percocets since 2007, after being bumped up a tier from Tylenol 3. At first I was skipping days taking my percocets, but in the last years I have been doubling and even tripling the doses every day. My doctor had tried Ms-Cotin, Methadone, and Vicodin. In the last month I moved from NC to TX, expecting to get my usual meds. I was wrong. In the last 2 weeks I resorted to crushing up my old MS-Cotin. Hell I even searched my car until I found the 9 pills I had dropped over the last couple months. Saturday was my last day on Oxy (the days seem to blend).

I am a chronic pain patient due to a kidney disease. being off of the pain meds makes my kidneys feel like somebody just dropped kicked me....

Today was/feels like my last days of withdraw (I feel basically fine, no cramps, etc). On the 21st of July I have a Pain Management Appointment. What should I do to avoid the addiction? I am not going to be holding the pills, my wife is (that prevents me from taking more than prescribed). Should I take them every other day? Will that help? What about every two days? Either way I need the pain relief.

Any advise would help
    The best suggestions I can give, is to be completely honest with your doctor first and foremost. Let him know exactly how bad it got - and discuss any pain relief options that may be possible that do not include narcotics. And you need to keep an open mind when he suggests alternatives to narcotics. Half of our recovery is our mind-set. And once we, as addicts, know that narcotics are a good possibility, we suddenly find ourselves making excuses for why other treatments 'won't work.'

Second, your idea about your wife dispensing the pills to you as prescribed is a good one. But it has to be a very firm arrangement. You can not know where she hides the bottle - and she can not bend from the schedule, no matter how much you plead with her to do so.

Addiction is an incredibly sneaky disease, and it wreaks havoc with our minds and emotions - resulting in outrageous behavior and rationalizations to justify more drugs. The time to make arrangement with your doctor and your wife is BEFORE you take any pain medication - not after. Once the drugs are in our system, control becomes an illusion. We can not "out-smart" drug addiction, no amount of knowledge or education will keep us "safe."

God bless,
    Ruth

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Any advise would help

I agree with the advice Ruth gave you. She and I have over 40 years in recovery and working with addicts combined. So I won't expand on her suggestions at this point. Just have to say that you really have to cut your wife some slack as you are setting her up for some misery when / if you begin to whine and beg to her to give you "JUST ONE MORE" if the dr you see DOES go the pain med route.

I hope they try using "cognitive behavior therapy" first or something other than drugs to give you a chance withot them. At least if they use pain meds I pray they use the right ones in the smallest possible dose. Gosh I've seen it happen so many times. I've done it myself to others, so I'm not judging you, just saying it like it is. It's so much more difficult on her than it is you just for her having to watch and deal with someone she loves in misery and her not wanting to see you hurting. So that understanding between you guys needs to be made clear before you do this if drugs are involved. Be kind to her for what she is doing to help you. And like Ruth said, be open to other forms of therapy as there are several routes that really "good" drs know about and actually use instead of throwing narcotics at you immediately and taking your money happily. Lots of them don't even try anything else first. I'm not a dr so I'll leave what they do to them.

I also live in Texas. Are you in the Houston area by chance as I am? I could possibly help you a little extra if you were close by knowing drs here, a few of which are truly experts in the field of addiction. It's something really hard to find these days. Wouldn't dream of intruding into your anonymous private space for your location unless there was a reason..

Take care and let us know how we can help. And again, be nice to your wife for having to put up with what she's got herself committed to doing. You're lucky having her there to help you. She could truly make such a huge difference in the outcome of your recovery with her support. It's tough sticking to a drug-free plan or even harder not abusing drugs if they do give them to you. God bless. .
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

The only drug I was ever really addicted to, in the MOST irrational sort of way was Ambien...if I should ever need it (hypothetically speaking) the ONLY way for me to not to abuse it would be to either abstain (as I have the luxury of doing, now) or have someone else dispense it to me in a controlled fashion. Put a bottle of Ambien in my hands and I become "Mr. Hyde" FAST!

I would have your wife put the Percocets in a combination safe (NOT a padlock, those are easily defeated.) A good one!! The lower quality ones can be rather easily opened with patience and determination. Get one with four-bolt action that can't be opened with anything short of a blowtorch or the correct sequence of "lefts and rights".

Good luck to you and wife; I know chronic pain is enough of a "B" without having the additional hardship of an addiction to deal with.

I would further the prior suggestions by setting up a STRICT protocol for your wife's opening and removing the pills from the safe. You CANNOT be near when she's doing this. Lock yourself in the bathroom and run water or something so you can't even hear the proceedings. She can give a knock when the coast is clear, so to speak....you can receive your pain pills and move on with out making it overly personal between you two. Of course, your protocol may differ but there must be one, I think, for this to work.

Inconvenient? Yeah! Necessary? Absolutely.

I speak from limited experience but I try to imagine; and I ask myself, "if my life depended on it, could I control my Ambien intake?" I'm forced to answer, no. That is a terrifying but true answer.

I have to agree, too; explore ALL pain relief avenues before making Percocet the de facto therapy.

Are the use of NSAIDS contraindicated because of your kidney disease? What options are open to you besides Percocet? Would hydrocodone/APAP be as effective? It's somewhat less addictive and has fewer side-effects than oxycodone.
    Peter

Thanks for all the replies!!!
    I went to pain management here, and of course they needed approval from my Nephrologist and verifiable proof that I was in pain. I guess some people lie for drugs. Pain Management game me Ultram until I get records back to them; Ultram has to be a joke, its like taking Tylenol or Gummy Bears...

After going to a Nephrologist, which wanted MRI's, labs, etc... he determined that I do need pain meds, I don't think he believed me either in the beginning (until he said you have Kidney Cancer also, and will probably die within the next 3 years).

As for alternative pain medications; in NC they offered me Marijuana, I turned it down. Mainly because smoking pot is not something a reputable doctor does (Med student almost finished).

When I go back to pain management they will give me back my old meds (hopefully) or start me on something stronger (disease progression = more pain).

The life of an addict was a pain free one. Why should someone live in pain to avoid a name. Whats in a name? Nothing.

Thanks again guys! Ill update what happens.

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

You certainly should not feel compelled to live in pain to avoid a name. That's what I think they call, torture.

You do have to find a way to control the meds, however. But I know that you know that!

I see you already tried hydrocodone, sorry.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 08-03-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Peter

OXYmom is offline Member

Thanks for all the replies!!!
    I went to pain management here, and of course they needed approval from my Nephrologist and verifiable proof that I was in pain. I guess some people lie for drugs. Pain Management game me Ultram until I get records back to them; Ultram has to be a joke, its like taking Tylenol or Gummy Bears...

After going to a Nephrologist, which wanted MRI's, labs, etc... he determined that I do need pain meds, I don't think he believed me either in the beginning (until he said you have Kidney Cancer also, and will probably die within the next 3 years).

As for alternative pain medications; in NC they offered me Marijuana, I turned it down. Mainly because smoking pot is not something a reputable doctor does (Med student almost finished).

When I go back to pain management they will give me back my old meds (hopefully) or start me on something stronger (disease progression = more pain).

The life of an addict was a pain free one. Why should someone live in pain to avoid a name. Whats in a name? Nothing.

Thanks again guys! Ill update what happens.
    Hi, Breaker. I just saw this older post and wondered if you are feeling any better? hope you are doing well!