What do we do about pain after the fact?
    Sydney60 is offline New Member

Default What do we do about pain after the fact?

Hi all - I'm new here, and want to thank you for a very intelligent, informative forum. OK - I've already decided that I am on a slippery slope with the painkillers (3 - 7.5 vicodin per day) that I'm on and I will be detoxing soon. Here is my issue. I cannot take NSAIDS due to stomach issues, I have already had epidural steroid shots which did not help my pain, and I've had 1 surgery on my lower back. I'm in pain most of the time to some extent, the vicodin just takes the edge off. So, once I'm off the vicodin what can I do for the pain? There are days where I would just pace for hours trying to relieve the pain in my back and take my mind off of it. I'm convinced that I need to get off the vicodin. Every day I experience some level of withdrawal because the dosage is not high enough but I don't want to increase my dosage, so every day is a bit hel*ish. My dilema is - what do I do about the pain when I'm not taking any opiates for the pain? I have to be able to function and I cannot with the pain level I have experienced without the vicodin. Well - I'm going to give the detox a shot and see where my pain level is without the pain meds and then I guess I'll make a decision then. What do all of you do for your pain after giving up opiates?

kenzi is offline New Member

I don't know if you see a pain management doctor or not, but there are lots of medications they use to control chronic pain that are not opiods. Good luck to you!

Sydney60 is offline New Member

Hi Kenzi. Yes, I do work with a pain clinic. I have tried a lot of drugs for this besides the vicoden - neurontin, NSAIDS, Lyrica - and experienced pretty bad side effects. The neurontin & lyrica made me suicidal and the NSAIDS tear my stomach up, even if I take a pepcid first. I have gone through epidural steroid injections a few times, sometimes with minimal relief - sometimes with no relief. I've tried the TENS unit. I have had a discectomy and they are telling me the next step is a fusion which I'm trying to put off. The discectomy really didn't do a whole lot for me but did reduce the amount of pain a bit for a couple of years. I really don't know what else they have to offer. I do know that I can't keep increasing my dosage on these vicodin, I am afraid it will damage my liver since I also take drugs (statins) for high cholesterol. I'm only 51 (I know that's really old to some people :-) ) and I can't imagine gradually increasing the vicoden over another 20-30 years. Well, I will definitely ask the doctor what other options I might have available.

Have you or has anyone else tried hypnosis to help control the pain?

NoMoreLies is offline Member

Have you had a nerve burning procedure? My partner has a fusion at her L5-S1 and needs another one at the level above her original fusion. She also had injections in her spine and it didn't help. She has the nerve buring done 2x per year and it has allowed her to reduce her Fentanyl prescription from 75mcg/hr patches to 25mcg/hr patches. She also says the procedure is not as painful as the injections.

rxqueen is offline Junior Member

Keterolac/Torridol works very well. Lidoderm patches. Physical therapy. Whirlpool/Jet therapy, yoga, massage, acupuncture.

ElizaJane23 is offline New Member

Yes, the radio frequency ablation procedures (rhizotemy) help me a LOT! Before i started getting them I couodn't sit due to the sciatica pain. Now I only need them done about every 18-24 months. Well worth a try - no steroids, which cause all kinds of side effects for me and never found them much use anyway. Regards - ElizaJane
    ElizaJane