Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lmc8883
  • 1 Post By MaisieC
Tramadol withdrawl day 5
    lmc8883 is offline Junior Member

Default Tramadol withdrawl day 5

Okay, so this is day 5. I Really have half a mind to report my pharmacist to whoever i can for letting me refill my tramadol whenever i asked ( 90 pill script...i was refilling this script every 3 days) I don't understand how he thought this was acceptable?! i had three refills. I refilled this script probably 10-15 times. and he would deliver it with a wink and a nod and collect his money and be on his merry way like there was nothing wrong.

Anyways....Last night i had the WORST RLS ever!!!! I was kicking and kicking and kicking all night long. All day i pretty much felt fine, compared to how i felt previous days. Mind you, i didn't taper. I went from 36- 50 50mg pills a day to nothing. And kicked cold turkey. But, by far, of all the symptoms, the RLS is the worst. It's right up there with the sweats, and the cold hands and feet. Someone, please, pretty please kick me if i ever decide to get back on these meds again!!!!!
    Last edited by lmc8883; 09-14-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    michellelisa1982 likes this.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lmc8883 View Post
    Okay, so this is day 5. I Really have half a mind to report my pharmacist to whoever i can for letting me refill my tramadol whenever i asked ( 90 pill script...i was refilling this script every 3 days) I don't understand how he thought this was acceptable?! i had three refills. I refilled this script probably 10-15 times. and he would deliver it with a wink and a nod and collect his money and be on his merry way like there was nothing wrong.

Anyways....Last night i had the WORST RLS ever!!!! I was kicking and kicking and kicking all night long. All day i pretty much felt fine, compared to how i felt previous days. Mind you, i didn't taper. I went from 36- 50 50mg pills a day to nothing. And kicked cold turkey. But, by far, of all the symptoms, the RLS is the worst. It's right up there with the sweats, and the cold hands and feet. Someone, please, pretty please kick me if i ever decide to get back on these meds again!!!!!
    Hi lmc,

Well, it's going to be pretty hard for me to kick you from here. But I can suggest that you get yourself into an NA or AA meeting if you think you're going to have trouble with cravings. You'll get a community of people who understand what you're going through, and a handful of phone numbers you can call whenever you feel those cravings coming back.

Your pharmacist was refilling a 90-pill prescription every three days? I think you should report him! That's potentially lethal!

Yeah, the RLS is horrid, isn't it? I got it in my arms, too. I felt like slapping myself. I DID slap myself. Ugh. I think what's so awful about it is that it's not a symptom of anything else we ever encounter. Nausea, the runs, etc., could be the flu, you've had it before, you can ride it out. But the RLS is not something we're used to, and it's creepy. Hang in there. It will get better and better!

Take care,
    Maisie

Hi!

My name is Leah by the way! Yea, He was refilling my script that often. He is a friend of my husbands. And, my husband built his pharmacy. So, i don't know if maybe he feels like he's trying to be my friend by doing that, not quite sure, but he did more harm than anything. I feel great today. No symtoms, nothing. Got a great nights sleep. I still have my normal amount of pain that is expected with my problems, but i'd rather deal with that then be on those meds again. I have hip displacia, it causes my knees to dislocate a lot. i've had a few surgeries to correct it, but honestly, they haven't worked. I've ended up in more pain then i started with.
    Anyways, i think meetings might be a great idea. Thanks for suggesting them! I also feel good coming on here and answering peoples questions. I have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing. And answering questions makes me feel useful. Thanks for your support Maisie!

Hi!

My name is Leah by the way! Yea, He was refilling my script that often. He is a friend of my husbands. And, my husband built his pharmacy. So, i don't know if maybe he feels like he's trying to be my friend by doing that, not quite sure, but he did more harm than anything. I feel great today. No symtoms, nothing. Got a great nights sleep. I still have my normal amount of pain that is expected with my problems, but i'd rather deal with that then be on those meds again. I have hip displacia, it causes my knees to dislocate a lot. i've had a few surgeries to correct it, but honestly, they haven't worked. I've ended up in more pain then i started with.
    Anyways, i think meetings might be a great idea. Thanks for suggesting them! I also feel good coming on here and answering peoples questions. I have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing. And answering questions makes me feel useful. Thanks for your support Maisie!
    Well the family connection def. explains some of it, but Tramadol in general is not a hard prescription to get filled "very" early b/c it is not technically a controlled substance. This is bound to change as there has been a spike in Tramadol abuse. It will go schedule IV I think in most states before too long, but the drug manufacturers were "creatively crafty" (as I like to say) with this drug. It does not repress your breathing like regular narcotics and there is no codeine or narcotic agent in it. So where is the addiction come in? Well, it plays just enough on your opioid receptors and it releases serotonin, a common brain chemical that is found in many SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor drugs) anti-depressants (except it releases the serotonin at a slightly faster rate than standard anti-depressants, thus this could account for someone feeling a "high" off Tramadol), and some doctors (at least I have heard some talk about this) are considering its secondary benefits and may start prescribing it to combat depression.

All this said, Tramadol can be addicting, but it is def. not as addicting as Norco or Oxycodone, schedule III drugs, but it really depends on the individual. Everyone is different. I have taken tramadol and have not had any issues with it, in fact, I don't think it is a strong painkiller at all, more like a Darvocet type of painkiller, but doctors are writing alot of scripts for this synthetic drug that might end up in court with some lawsuits over the "addiction potential" that has been played down. I am hearing more about people getting hooked on Tramadol, but again, I def. think it is less likely people in general will get hooked or abuse this drug, unless u are an addict, then anything is possible, and being a recovering addict myself, I am glad that I never had a problem with this drug. It did not make me feel "high" or where I wanted to take more. In fact it carries a seizure risk, so I that worried me a little bit and should be a deterrant for people not to abuse it, but some do, and u are not eccentric b/c u abused it. It made u feel good so u took more and the behavior was reinforced. Same reason why some ppl can take Vicodin and never abuse it while others cannot, it is about personality, genetics and predisposition and life stressors and how u handle things. Everyone is different.

Overall I think Tramadol is not a bad drug, and def. not as addicting as other opiates, but yes, it can be abused and people can get early refills b/c it is not considered a controlled substance. Again I think this will change and it will go schedule IV, and that is where it should go no higher or lower. Just hang in there b/c withdrawal from Tramadol can be awful from what I have heard and read. I am glad to hear u are feeling better. Hopefully the worst has passed u. Don't know how long and how much u were taking of the Tramadol, but some have told me they think it is more addicting than oxy's! Crazy, that might be true, again, depending on the individual and how the drug makes him/her feel. For me, Tramadol is a weak painkiller, good for a bad headache but does nothing for severe pain. Just my opinion on it.

luvy298 is offline Member

Default I know what you mean!!!!!!!

I was addicted to Tramadol for two years; I was taking at least 15-30 50mg a day and I also stopped cold turkey. It was horrible, my rls was the worst. I tried everything, then I found that Valerian root, vitamins including, b6 & b12 helped me a lot. I have been clean now for a year; I agree with you I would much rather live with pain than to ever ever ever go back to Tramadol. It does affect many people differently; I liked the high it gave me; I felt like I was on top of the world when I was on Tramadol.

Take care
    Luvy298

visa666 is offline New Member

!
    Of course! Somebody else has to take the blame! The Master trend of this society!

Quote Originally Posted by visa666 View Post
    Of course! Somebody else has to take the blame! The Master trend of this society!
    Nice, helpful post there.

Everyone is responsible for what they do. The pharmacist was doing something illegal. He should be held accountable for breaking the law.

Hi!

Hi Leah,

I'm glad you're feeling better! I do think that meetings would help you moving forward, and they'd also give you good insights to share with others.

Have you explored other pain management possibilities? There are lots of people on this forum who got into pain medications the same way you did--through legitimate need for relief getting out of hand. If you create a new pain management thread, I'm sure they can offer a lot of suggestions.

Good for you for toughing it out!

Take care,
    Maisie

Quote Originally Posted by MaisieC View Post
    Hi Leah,

I'm glad you're feeling better! I do think that meetings would help you moving forward, and they'd also give you good insights to share with others.

Have you explored other pain management possibilities? There are lots of people on this forum who got into pain medications the same way you did--through legitimate need for relief getting out of hand. If you create a new pain management thread, I'm sure they can offer a lot of suggestions.

Good for you for toughing it out!

Take care,
    Maisie

That person is interesting...lol...to say the least....anyways, I didn't make it. Sorry. My pain was too much, and my pharm called me telling me he refilled it, and i took it. I need to find a different way to manage my pain. I can't do this anymore. Half of me is sitting here thinking it would be easier if i took vicodin or percs, just because i know the withdrawl from those are a walk in the park compared to what i've been through with this junk. I can't do this anymore. I'm not going to re-type what i just did on my other thread...."suboxone treatment ?'s" but, that is what's going on with me....long story short, got my script filled on thursday, went out, got arrested. I just got out of jail last night. Thank god my husband came and got me. Something needs to change.

That person is interesting...lol...to say the least....anyways, I didn't make it. Sorry. My pain was too much, and my pharm called me telling me he refilled it, and i took it. I need to find a different way to manage my pain. I can't do this anymore. Half of me is sitting here thinking it would be easier if i took vicodin or percs, just because i know the withdrawl from those are a walk in the park compared to what i've been through with this junk. I can't do this anymore. I'm not going to re-type what i just did on my other thread...."suboxone treatment ?'s" but, that is what's going on with me....long story short, got my script filled on thursday, went out, got arrested. I just got out of jail last night. Thank god my husband came and got me. Something needs to change.
    Wow, Leah. You have been through some stuff.

I'm not clear where you are now chemically. You said on your other thread you threw the trams out the window? Is that true, or are you still taking them? I think if you're still on them and you can get some vicodin, it's actually not a bad idea to do that--switch from the trams to another opiate and then taper off that. Tramadol is WAY harder to get off than the other opiates.

However, you know you have a more serious problem. You seem to have a long history of using opiates, and your need for pain relief has been all mixed up with a desire to get high, so you're dug in pretty deep. I don't think meetings are a "maybe" for you right now: I think they're a necessity. As you've seen, you can get clean over and over again, but what you want is to STAY clean. This is really serious. Our objective is not just to get better at managing withdrawal. This disease is progressive, and I hope the arrest is a wake-up call for you. You can't do this to your baby.

Ideally, someone with your history would get in-patient detox and rehab. That sounds impossible, given your situation. So seriously, get yourself into NA or AA meetings, and stick it out. Learn everything you can. There are people there who have been through what you've experienced, and can help you sort your life out. This really isn't a question of detoxing off opiates anymore; it's a total change in your life and outlook.

Along with that, of course, is the need to deal with the pain. Again, I'd suggest you start a "pain management" thread on the forum and talk to others who also have chronic pain. I know quite a few people here do deal with that.

Regarding the suboxone, it seems to me that if you can physically get off trams for five days, you probably don't need the suboxone. You need emotional support and to get involved in working a program. Suboxone is not easy to get off of, and if you can detox without it, you're better off. Your main challenge is really STAYING clean.

Good luck,
    Maisie
    primetimegrape likes this.

Maisie-

I think your totally right. I am on trams right now. back on my 8 at a time. * I've take 24 already today. I'm going to try to get some vicodin on monday from my orthopedic. And taper. And also call a treatment facility and try to get in. I need to. I'm sick of trying to scramble to get drugs, trying to remember what happened the night before, and detoxing. My body can't handle it anymore. I barely pee, which prob means my kidneys are not working right. I drink water like crazy though. I look sick. I bruise if you touch me. I'm not eating barely at all, and barely sleeping as well. This stuff needs to stop asap. The more i think about it, the more i think subs are not the answer either. Trading one addiction for another. No, not for me. If i'm going to stop, i will stop everything all together. Hopefully i'll find something fast and just get myself in so they can help me detox and i dont have the opportunity to relapse again. i'll let you know what happens Maisie...thanks so much for all your help! You've been amazing and patient!

-Leah
    Last edited by lmc8883; 09-17-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: misspelled words.

I am guessing u are taking like 30+ Tramadol a day? Just wondering b/c of the script refill and u not being able to hold out. Of course that is a ton, way more and is a serious addiction, not to mention u augment your seizure risk the more Tramadol u take. I have heard the withdrawal associated with Tramadol abuse is terrible, but I never abused this drug so it is harder for me to understand about the "high" it gives some ppl. I do use these but they are nothing more than strong aspirin, but I don't want to find out how many it would take to get me rocking, lol! Anyway, switching to Vicodin.. I don't know.. If u have a doctor that would that 4 u, and from what I am hearing, Tramadol is worse w/d wise than Vicodin (that stuns me to be honest) then maybe that is safer. Just be sure not to sub. one habit for another. That is the last thing u need. U have to taper correctly and that varies based on the person, drug used, how long, how much etc.. but there are many on here that can help u taper and doctors that can also help u if u follow his/her instructions, but I agree with Masie about u needing meetings. Get to some of those and quickly and keep chatting on here. I am worried about your Tramadol abuse. The level of pills we are talking here sounds way excessive... let us know your status...are u still on them.. how many a day? etc.. so we can try to help u as best we can. God Bless!

Primetime-

Hi! Yep, i'm still on them, My plan of action is this, call my ortho on monday to see if i can get some vicodin. Call treatment facilities, try to get an open bed, and stay put. detox, and get clean. if i can't get into a treatment soon, i will taper with vicodin until i'm off of them and pray i stay clean until i get in. I need to go back to treatment. I am taking 8 50mg pills 5 times a day. I have no clue what it is about tramadol that i fell in love with. I can take vicodin, percs, oxys and be fine. yea, i'll generally take a few more of those then needed, but i dont go crazy with them like i do with tramadol. I think what it is is, i feel like superman on tramadol. like i can run a marathon, build a sky scraper, take care of 100 kids at once, and have time to bake a cake and look beautiful doing it....lol.I feel like i can rule the universe on it. and thats scary as hell. I need help very bad. Bottom line. Otherwise, i will die chasing this addiction.

Primetime-

Hi! Yep, i'm still on them, My plan of action is this, call my ortho on monday to see if i can get some vicodin. Call treatment facilities, try to get an open bed, and stay put. detox, and get clean. if i can't get into a treatment soon, i will taper with vicodin until i'm off of them and pray i stay clean until i get in. I need to go back to treatment. I am taking 8 50mg pills 5 times a day. I have no clue what it is about tramadol that i fell in love with. I can take vicodin, percs, oxys and be fine. yea, i'll generally take a few more of those then needed, but i dont go crazy with them like i do with tramadol. I think what it is is, i feel like superman on tramadol. like i can run a marathon, build a sky scraper, take care of 100 kids at once, and have time to bake a cake and look beautiful doing it....lol.I feel like i can rule the universe on it. and thats scary as hell. I need help very bad. Bottom line. Otherwise, i will die chasing this addiction.
    Yeah, it def. sounds like u need quick help. That is alot of pills to take. It is the serotonin in them that they release that is giving u that "superman" feeling. Tramadol is interesting because like anti-depressants it releases serotonin, and I don't know of any other painkiller that does this. That is not necessarily an addicting thing, and there has been talk of using Tramadol for anti-depression treatment, but it releases the serotonin a little bit quicker than regular anti-depressants and also does have a minor effect your opioid receptors even though it is not a narcotic. Those two things combined is prob. where ppl are getting addicted, although addiction rates are still low with this drug and it should be a schedule IV 4 sure, not a non-narcotic, as it is in most states now, but the addiction potential with this drug is still lower in contrast to other stuff, like hydrocodone and oxycodone, but then again it DEPENDS ON THE USER on how the drug makes him/her feel. Just because Tramadol does not make me feel like "superman" does not mean that it does not for others. I have heard of ppl getting addicted to it, so I do hope u def. get switched and go into detox ASAP. Keep us up to date with your progress plz and be careful, that is alot of pills u are taking. It scares me, but def. go to doctor on Monday and tell him/her what is going on and ask what to do. He or she def. needs to switch your meds and help with a taper plan and u need detox probably at the pill levels u are talking about. That is the safest thing to do. God Bless!

Maisie-

I think your totally right. I am on trams right now. back on my 8 at a time. * I've take 24 already today. I'm going to try to get some vicodin on monday from my orthopedic. And taper. And also call a treatment facility and try to get in. I need to. I'm sick of trying to scramble to get drugs, trying to remember what happened the night before, and detoxing. My body can't handle it anymore. I barely pee, which prob means my kidneys are not working right. I drink water like crazy though. I look sick. I bruise if you touch me. I'm not eating barely at all, and barely sleeping as well. This stuff needs to stop asap. The more i think about it, the more i think subs are not the answer either. Trading one addiction for another. No, not for me. If i'm going to stop, i will stop everything all together. Hopefully i'll find something fast and just get myself in so they can help me detox and i dont have the opportunity to relapse again. i'll let you know what happens Maisie...thanks so much for all your help! You've been amazing and patient!

-Leah
    Hi Leah,

I think you are totally making the right decision! Good for you. You're really in a bind now, and it would be so great to get more help and support. It also sounds like you need a complete physical exam; you need to find out what those other symptoms are about. You really need attention to your complete situation: the addiction, the pain control, and your overall health. I hope you can get into a place and get some care very soon.

Please keep us posted!

Take care,
    Maisie

Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    Yeah, it def. sounds like u need quick help. That is alot of pills to take. It is the serotonin in them that they release that is giving u that "superman" feeling. Tramadol is interesting because like anti-depressants it releases serotonin, and I don't know of any other painkiller that does this. That is not necessarily an addicting thing, and there has been talk of using Tramadol for anti-depression treatment, but it releases the serotonin a little bit quicker than regular anti-depressants and also does have a minor effect your opioid receptors even though it is not a narcotic. Those two things combined is prob. where ppl are getting addicted, although addiction rates are still low with this drug and it should be a schedule IV 4 sure, not a non-narcotic, as it is in most states now, but the addiction potential with this drug is still lower in contrast to other stuff, like hydrocodone and oxycodone, but then again it DEPENDS ON THE USER on how the drug makes him/her feel. Just because Tramadol does not make me feel like "superman" does not mean that it does not for others. I have heard of ppl getting addicted to it, so I do hope u def. get switched and go into detox ASAP. Keep us up to date with your progress plz and be careful, that is alot of pills u are taking. It scares me, but def. go to doctor on Monday and tell him/her what is going on and ask what to do. He or she def. needs to switch your meds and help with a taper plan and u need detox probably at the pill levels u are talking about. That is the safest thing to do. God Bless!
    Hi Primetime,

I posted to you on another thread, but I guess you didn't see it. I'm really interested in learning about your sources. I've been thinking for a couple of years about writing an article about tramadol. I actually talked to my agent about doing a book, but he said start with an article. I've interviewed a couple of doctors, plus another guy who worked on the promotional campaign for the drug. But it sounds like you have a lot of information, and I would love it if you would share it with me. I've only read one study about tramadol, and its conclusion was that tramadol is less addictive than vicodin. I don't have access to Medline at the moment. I'd also be interested in your information about psychiatrists' interest in tramadol.

Would you mind sharing?

Thanks so much!
    Maisie

Hi Primetime,

I posted to you on another thread, but I guess you didn't see it. I'm really interested in learning about your sources. I've been thinking for a couple of years about writing an article about tramadol. I actually talked to my agent about doing a book, but he said start with an article. I've interviewed a couple of doctors, plus another guy who worked on the promotional campaign for the drug. But it sounds like you have a lot of information, and I would love it if you would share it with me. I've only read one study about tramadol, and its conclusion was that tramadol is less addictive than vicodin. I don't have access to Medline at the moment. I'd also be interested in your information about psychiatrists' interest in tramadol.

Would you mind sharing?

Thanks so much!
    Maisie
    Hi Maisie, yes, I am a walking book on medications. Alot of this stems from my college education, my past drug abuse that I put myself through and my continued reading of books well after school. I keep up to date on all DSM (these are psychology books that outline psychological illness and other books and I have a close friend that is a doctor and I always ask him tons of questions when I am curious so we talk alot. I could have become a doctor myself, sadly, but my drug abuse messed that up. I did not follow through with my masters or phd after my BA, but I did get sober but have the knowledge of a doctor, u could say, because of all the studying I do, plus I am a writer, and I have written numerous articles for doctors, none ironically on Tramadol, but I know alot about Tramadol from being on it, reading and asking questions. It is an addicting drug, but yes, for the most part it really is less addicting than Vicodin and should be placed on schedule IV not, III, right now it is considered non-narcotic in most states, although a few states have put it on schedule IV, that's where it needs to go). I am still new here Masie and I am not sure how to friend request, lol, so maybe just FR me so I can send u my email address. I don't want to just leave that for u here for all to see, lol, but I would be more than glad to talk with u. I don't know everything, but alot of ppl have yelled at me over the years about why I am not a doctor. Personally, I love my job as a writer, and even though I had the opportunity to become something else, I do love my writing and getting a book published eventually is my goal. Right now I just do Internet and keyword content work for clients, but it pays the bills (:

Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    Hi Maisie, yes, I am a walking book on medications. Alot of this stems from my college education, my past drug abuse that I put myself through and my continued reading of books well after school. I keep up to date on all DSM (these are psychology books that outline psychological illness and other books and I have a close friend that is a doctor and I always ask him tons of questions when I am curious so we talk alot. I could have become a doctor myself, sadly, but my drug abuse messed that up. I did not follow through with my masters or phd after my BA, but I did get sober but have the knowledge of a doctor, u could say, because of all the studying I do, plus I am a writer, and I have written numerous articles for doctors, none ironically on Tramadol, but I know alot about Tramadol from being on it, reading and asking questions. It is an addicting drug, but yes, for the most part it really is less addicting than Vicodin and should be placed on schedule IV not, III, right now it is considered non-narcotic in most states, although a few states have put it on schedule IV, that's where it needs to go). I am still new here Masie and I am not sure how to friend request, lol, so maybe just FR me so I can send u my email address. I don't want to just leave that for u here for all to see, lol, but I would be more than glad to talk with u. I don't know everything, but alot of ppl have yelled at me over the years about why I am not a doctor. Personally, I love my job as a writer, and even though I had the opportunity to become something else, I do love my writing and getting a book published eventually is my goal. Right now I just do Internet and keyword content work for clients, but it pays the bills (:
    Hi Primetime,

I'm a writer too! I do mainly business books, which I never would have thought I would end up doing. As you say, it pays the bills!

I don't think we can "friend" or do PMs on this board. I'll open an email account and send it to you so we can get in touch.

Thanks!
    Maisie

Hi Primetime,

Me again. I'm slammed with work and have to take a break for a while. Sorry for the long silence. Hope to catch up with you some time later.

Take good care,
    Maisie

Hi Primetime,

Me again. I'm slammed with work and have to take a break for a while. Sorry for the long silence. Hope to catch up with you some time later.

Take good care,
    Maisie
    NP Maisie. I have been slammed with work myself. I normally don't work on weekends, but I am backed up and have been fighting an illness all week long, so I kinda feel bad, but yes we will def. chat and share ideas with each other when time permits of course, lol. TTYL
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-24-2011 at 05:00 PM.

michellelisa1982 is offline New Member

I will kick you, and you can kick me too cuz withdrawals pretty much suck, I deal with RLS since my 2nd pregnancy happened and yes I know about the kicking and it even happens in my arms too!!! but only on my left side does this happen. I hate when it happens!!!! So ok we will all kick each other if we ever get back on these EVIL meds!!!! Best of luck to you and I and everyone else!!!!