Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SickOne
Tramadol - it's time to stop!
    lasorrows is offline New Member

Unhappy Tramadol - it's time to stop!

I had no idea Tramadol dependency/addiction was such a RAMPID thing until i began to do some research based upon my own problems I was experiencing.....My story just about parallel to everyone else who became hooked on "the little white pill!" Placed on it for a shoulder injury/pain then surgery 3-4 mo's later - that was 2009. I have tried 2-3 times since to get away from these things & have never gotten very far. I always end up so very ill that i go back to them. This time has to be different - in some ways it already is. My hubby began to put some things together & confronted me 6 wks ago - I broke down & ended the madness. He has been the most supportive, understanding, "were in this together & we will do whatever we need to do to find an end to this" man ever. I don't deserve this kind of forgiveness based upon my antics since 2009 - but i have it unconditionally! I've never been strong enough to taper correctly - maybe i wasn't doing it right. I've now read how it should be done. A little history on my terror of life off tramadol: ran out cold turkey 12 mo's ago & had no choice but to drop from 10-12 a day to absolutely nothing the next -it was honest to God the worst experience of my life. No one knew what was going on w/me - but i did! I made it 2 wks off b/c i had no other better offers (LOL) & then the "lost" order finally surfaced in the mail (the one that should have come before i ran out 2 wks prior!) I was so miserable & sick of being in the plce old turkey took me, that i went right back on them w/out blinking an eye!! Present Day We've checked into seeing a Drug addiction physician vs. a reg. MD & have found out that not only is the cost astronomical (no one files this ins.-cash upfront) but meds like Subtex & Suboxone are far beyond (and more serious) than is used to treat Tramadol addiction. Further research has also verified that. I have read alot about Klonipinn (sp?) being used to combat symptoms/withdrawals, valium or ambien to assist w/sleep & have also read alot about "Withdrawal Ease" (non RX med.) I am currently in the process of deciding which way to go 1.see a drug addiction dr (feeling very guilty about the $$ expense) or 2.trying on my own to do an effective taper w/the use of either/and or Klonipinine, WD Ease - or both. I have support now i didn't have before. I cannot convey in words my extreme terror associated w/even tapering - much less trying to go w/out them ever! From such a horrid experience the 1st time (ct) I now am terrified & concerned on how i am going to be able to effetively do this...i cannot go thru what i did before: inability to function for wks - no sleep nites on end bc i have a GREAT job w/an AWESOME very well none company where i must be "on my game" 9 hrs a day/5 days a week - I love my job! I have no "time off" avail now/@ present & we are in agreement under no uncertain terms can i loose my job - it pays very well & I carry my family's benefits 100% - it took me years to get where i am. So I have got to choose what is going to work for me w/ the least possible life "interruptions." I am very distressed anticipating either way i go. I feel like i am never going to be happy, feel good or be the same again. This med has not caused me huge issues by it's abuse - i have been a successful, fully functioning user for 2.5 yrs & my life is good -but the expense is not fair to my family & i know nothing good can come of this continued usage: side effects - constipation, sex interference, the "jerking" constantly. I 'm 45,happily married x 26 yrs and have 2 teen-age boys. I have worked my way up to anywhere from 18-24 50 mg pills a day over the last 2.5 yrs. Any insight would be appreciated while i am in the process of making decisions about what path is right for me to take @ this point. I have to do it this time. I know i have to do this for myself....and i hate to even say this: but i am initially doing this b/c i cannot continue to drag my beloved husband thru this journey - so selfish of me to have done it this long & I cannot, in all good faith, do this to him anymore-period. I know once i'm off trams, i will more so realize i shouldve done this along time ago and i really did do it for myself after all. I have to make the right choice this time & effectively follow thru.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Can you get your hubby to dole out your pills for a taper? Tapering tramadol is the best way to go. Going subs, is also a possibility. You should do a search and search for MaisieC, she isn't on much, but there is a section on Tramadol w/d in Featured Conditions. Check out that thread and you'll see what others have done to get off of Tramadol. If you decide to taper and need support you'll find it here, you also might want to check into NA, Christian Recovery or some type of counseling to help you come to terms with your addiction. It's great that you have support at home! Good for you, getting off of these awful pills. Get this done and you'll never have to use again. HANG TOUGH. For now forget the guilt, like I said NA is a useful option. I'm not big on the whole "christian god" thing, that is not my religion, but it really, really helps people to have that extra support and to understand this disease of addiction. And yeah, you have to WANT this for you: it will lead to better relationships with your family, husband. Yes make this next right choice and follow through!

Peace,

Iloerose

lasorrows is offline New Member

thank you so much for your response- i have also learned to day that the National/US company for which i work has a program of sorts for employees in a situation such as this and I am a little giddy about checking into what that process/resources/physician placement is all about. My hubby thinks it won't be confidential and it could be held against me in the work place....i feel differently about it. I work for a LARGE national, well-known medical insurance company - i think they would rather have a valued employee that is actually seeking assistance, searching for medical intervention & having a problem & being "big" enough to take a step toward ending an on-going senseless cycle w/prescription drugs than for that employee to continue on as is in the same state & w/out seeking assistance. Also: i have a RX for this - bottle w/my name on it from a local drug store - it is not like it is something i take to work in a baggie & roll up joints to hit on in a bathroom stall during break time!! LOL Further more comforting to me is that it is a GREAT company that obviously majorly supports physician/provider relations & maximum assistance to not only their customers/ members of course - but they also take care of their employees - thus the reason for this program's assiatance. I will post after i find out what it's all about and what it entails!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Good for you! If you have an RX you can just tell them you don't want to take them anymore and want to get off them safely. Post what you find out. I know some companies do have addiction counseling and help.

Peace,

Iloerose

SickOne is offline Junior Member

I don't know if OP is checking back here at all, but I just wanted to let you know that I used suboxone to get off of tramadol. My doctor was initially hesitant to try it as she felt the level of addiction from tramadol didn't warrant using a heavy duty substance like suboxone. However, she checked with the manufacturer and they said it was okay to use.

I only needed a very small dose of suboxone - 2mg, the lowest dose available at the time. The only thing my doctor didn't do which I think she should have was prescribe something so that I didn't have any seizures when I started the suboxone.

But I just wanted to let you know that you can use suboxone for tramadol. The withdrawal from suboxone can also be horrible, but it's so much easier to taper than tramadol as you don't feel tempted to take more because more won't make you more high.

Good luck OP.
    iloerose likes this.

getmeouttahere is offline New Member

Don't know if you are still around, but I feel your pain. After dependency on hydrocodone, morphine and most recently tramadol, o totally understand. I am three days off tramadol and feeling ok for the most part. My journey to get off started in March- after four years of use. I started out with a 6 week taper plan. It didn't work. So I revised it, cutting down 1 pill every 3 weeks. It took me six months, and I've been down as low as 1/4th of a pill the last month. This time its working. I have no desire to reuse, w/d symptoms seem mild so far. I understand this may not work for everyone...you either need to be very self disciplined or have help from someone you trust, but it does work. It is doable. Also, I never misused these pills, but was on a max dosage for many years. I had some slip ups, but all in all...I'm going to be ok..again. this is my third go round with w/d. Hopefully my very last.

work and play is offline New Member

Unhappy sorry

Hi, I stopped in your thread because I was on another thread where a person wanted to get off oxy-neo meds. I was going to recommend they try tramadol, and as I was getting ready to type out my message, I saw a link to your thread here. So I decided not to recommend tramadol. I'm afraid to recommend anything to anyone because we all have our demons. . I have a family member who is entirely hooked on tramadols and benzos. she buys them on the street!! . I have another family member who is addicted to codone . I know in my own experience of running out of tramadol, that you will get sick, sometimes A LOT (I've seen others). Running out of trams is like you have the flu. It's terrible. I have gone down in my dosage, from two 50mg every six hours to just two 50mg twice a day. My doctor writes the meds and he is the one who changed my dosing around over the last five years. I am so sorry that it got out of control for you. I really do understand your pain and sickness and I wish I could recommend and alternative. I agree with the poster who suggested having your meds doled out to you by your husband. Thats an effective way to make sure you dont run out of them. And you can taper as you go along. I wish you luck. This is my very first post here and I've been reading these boards for years. Good luck.