Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ladybird
  • 1 Post By aaabello
  • 1 Post By mareke
  • 1 Post By bg_chelle
Tramadol
    gordo is offline New Member

Default Tramadol

Is there anyone who can help me with advice on how to wean off of Tramadol. I currently take about 300-400 mg. per day and have been taking it for aprox. 1 year but would LOVE to stop. I am a 43 yr. old male married male .

Thank you.

kygirl31 is offline New Member

I have never tapered off of tramadol but my PCP gave me a taper plan for hydrocodone should be the same. Decrease the amount you take every 5 days by 20%.

kygirl31

gordo is offline New Member

thank you for the input. you are the first.

ladybird is offline New Member

I'm currently getting off this and you made a post in my ultram thread earlier. I thought I would answer you here.

You can get help from a doctor and they should have some meds to help but I did it my way which I hope helps you.

I went down about 1/2 a pill about every 5 days. Sure it took a while, but it did help. I had very slight withdrawal effects, nothing that affected my work etc.

When I was taking 1/2 pill in morning and 1/2 pill at night when I finally dropped it completely.

I dont' know if it comes in a lower dose or not, if so then i would ask for that type of pill when you get down to the 1/2 pill size so you can cut that in half again.

How many times a day do you take your 300-400? Is it a few in the morning and a few at night or several thorughout the day?

If it is several in the day, try and lower your middle day numbers first and keep your morning and night the same until you get to only using the morning and night pills. THis way you still get your jolt in the morning for work and night for sleeping.

Once you get the mid day items gone, then start lowering the night sets.

If your health is good, then give yourself time to go down slowly if you don't want to go through a rehab cold turkey. It's not good to cold turkey that many items per day.

I know it can take a while, but this will help from having any heart problems etc.

I do hope and pray for the best for you.
    jujubes likes this.

PostOp Pete is offline New Member

Just to add an alternative...
    I was on 300-400mg a day of the 50mg caps, then went on to the 200mg slow release caps which I am now trying to get off.
    I just tried cold turkey, and the first 24hrs have been not much fun. Amongst the sweats, chills, flushes and all the rest, I don't think I've got more than an hour of sleep yet despite feeling dog tired when I'm up.
    I'm lucky I still have most a box of the 50mg's left. So my plan is to try going as low as 100mg a day in two 50mg doses. One as late in the day as I can handle it, and one before bedtime.
    When the withdrawals from that scale reduction recede I'll go to one 50mg before bed, then to nothing.
    I know there are nastier drugs in the world to come down from, but Tramadol is nasty enough for me to wish I'd never got addicted and certainly never taken the 200mg slow release version which I'm sure made the addiction worse.

jane1987 is offline New Member

Wink to pete

i was on ultracet(37.5mg tramadol/325mg tylonol) for 5 years the first 4 years i just took 2 pills at once for the whole day that was all i needed ,then bam one nite i needed more so i took 2 more pills and in less that 4months i was taking 16 50mg tramadols(ultram) and haveing grand mal siezers every 5 days -iam still trying to regain my full memory and now i live day by day and 48 hours to me is 1 week time i damaged my brain so badly i have no real consept of time i can really just sit and watch tv or drive a car for days it is insane IF YOU EVER HAVE TAKEIN 10+ 50MG PILLS AND YOU SEE YOUR EYES TURN BLACK DIALATE YOUR REAL CLOSE TO HAVIN A SEIZER-- FEEL FREE TO ASK ME ANY THING I HAVE BEEN STUDING ABOUT DRUGS.PHARMS.RX.PAIN.TOXINS. FOR 10 YEARS NOW SO FEEL FREE!

PostOp Pete is offline New Member

Ouch! That's probably why they don't recommend going over 400mg in 24hrs. I stuck to that limit, but it's still a pain to get back off them.
    It's been about a week now and I'm getting by on about 150mg a day but I'm not exactly "normal" on that dose. Probably the worst part of stopping was the sudden intense depression that lasted about 3 days. Now I'm back up to 100-150mg I'm avoiding the worst of that, but I am still feeling kinda "flat".
    I've also noticed though that on the one occasion I took 100mg in one dose since trying cold turkey I got kind of hyped up. Not exactly manic, but over confident and unable to settle.
    Am hanging in there though. Sooner or later I'll get it down to zero.

princessemily is offline New Member

Default Please help!!!!

I no this thread was started ages ago, but really hope someone is reading this still.

I have been taking tramadol for about 5 years now for pelvic adhesions and would love to try and get off it now. I tried sopping it completely and i can honestly say i thought i was dying!!!!!!
    I take up to 400mg a day, 100mg every 4 hrs.
    When i spoke to my dr about it she gave me some tramacet - 37.5mg tramadol and some paracetamol and told me to wean myself of slowly but didnt really give me much advice on how.
    So i have boxes of the tramacet AND 50mg pills of tramadol.
    Does anyone have any ideas how i can slowly wean myself off it.
    its 5.30 in the morn and i have been tossing and turning and am soooooo tired but can not sleep and my hot and cold flushes are awful!!!!!

Please please help me!!!!!!!

Garrett22 is offline Member

My Mother was on Tramadol and had a gramwahl ( however you spell it lol ) Seizure in a store...She woke up from it after some paramedics were around her and she was smiling and stuff she even heard her Dad which is dead say Get up etc wierd stuff.

The Hospital doctor grabbed the tramadol bottle and threw it away. She said she has had more people with seizures associated with tramadol than epileptic seizures..So yeah get off that stuff it works for up to 4 years sometimes, But my Mom had a seizure 8 months in on low doses.

God Bless

-Garrett

DrizzyDrake is offline Member

Tramadol is the worst, I couldn't take that for a long period of time. it would make me have angry and laser like focused on work and it never really got rid of my pain. I had 2 scripts for it this year after my knee surgery it was whack.

mymordred77 is offline New Member

Default New and Looking for advice....

Hello...I am a tramadol addict. I had a seizure on Thanksgiving day this last year and dislocated both of my shoulders in the fall. My doctor put me on Tramadol to help with the pain because I didnt want a narcotic pain med. Boy that was a mistake! They had me on 100mg. every 6 hours but within 2 weeks i was taking 1200mg a day. I ran out of my script Sunday 12/26/10 and my doctor wouldn't give me any more. I am going through major withdrawl...muscle twitches, sweats in the core of my body but cold extremities, insomnia, depression, flu like symptoms. I am over a week without now and its getting better although taking a few sudafed has helped with some of the symptoms as well. I wish I would have known this ******** was soooo addicting. Always told it wasn't. I think getting off hydrocodone was easier!!! Its not easy and I had thought about actually doing worse drugs to help with the dt's but I;m glad I didn't. I realize its a long road and have been told it takes longer to get off this than other things. Wish doctor would have tapered me instead of cold turkey when I was taking 18 pills a day! Well, thanks for letting me rant...I needed it lol.

aaabello is offline New Member

Default Taper off Tramadol

I was here looking a few weeks ago for same information. First off, I am a 40 yr old male, married with 2 kids. I too was taking tramadol for a neck injury and was immediately started on a dose of 300mg /day (2 pills X3 daily). I instantly felt better, both physically and emotionally. I have never taken any pain killers for more then 1 week and no issue getting off of them. i was prescribed these pills 2 1/2 years ago right before my wife and I had our 2nd child. About 6 months ago i went out of town and forgot my pills (never thought i was addicted). The withdrawl and insomnia that followed was a complete nightmare. I ended up calling my Dr and he was able to call in a refill (which my insurance denied as i just had a refill a week prior). This is when i realized how bad this "non addicting" drug was. I lost about 15 lbs over the past year and have suffered many of the common side effects while using the drug. I have been seeing a Pain Management Dr (not a pill mill but a legitimate Dr office) And he suggested this: (based on my 2 pills each in morn afternoon and night)

Week 1 of tapering
    Reduce each dose to 1 pill, 3 times a day. I cheated sometimes at night as sleeping was tough until i used Unisom to help with the sleep. I also introduced St Johns Wort to help with the mental withdrawl symptoms (agression, anxiety, depression) which only started now.

Week 2
    Reduced to 2 pills a day. I started morning and evening, but afternoons were a bit tough so i moved my 8:00am doese to around 10:00am and moved my 8pm dose to 5pm. This actually lasted like 10 days. I think at this point the St Johns Wort was helping

Week 3
    Went down to just one pill. During this time, i tried to stretch the interval from 1 every 24 hours, adding a few hours each night. So say Sunday i took it at 8:00am, then Monday at 10am, then Tuesday at 2pm, and so on. The issue was that my sleep was becoming dependent on that night dose, so i just moved my dose to around 10am each day.

Off
    I have stopped taking these pills for almost 1 month now. I am not going to lie, the first week of no pills was not easy, but much easier then cutting Cold Turkey. The first 3 days where the worst, as i could not keep my legs still and felt that i was ready to snap at any time. I actually took a few days of Sick Leave from work and did what i could to isolate myself from wife and kids. After the third day, it was businees as usual with bouts of withdrawl symptoms here and there which were pretty much gone by day 7.

I truly wish you well with this and hope you never find yourself needing this drug again.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-18-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    jujubes likes this.

Angeleki is offline New Member

Any one think of detox with Saboxne?

phoenixx is offline New Member

Ladybird- thank you so much for this information. It is exactly what i was looking for. Bless your heart and a big hug to you from me.
    Kelly

jfrossard is offline New Member

Default I need help to with Ultram

Hello, I take Ultram 300mg ER. I have been taking it for the past five years. I would really like to stop taking it. I have 20 pills of the 300 mg and 60 pills of the 50mg.

My pain clinic just writes scripts and wont listen. I have severe jaw pain and migraines. I am prescribed a migraine medicine and it helps. I also take gabapentin. Any one else out there with the same symptoms and what are you doing to help with the pain?

I am also trying to find the best way to stop taking this medicine with the quanities I have. I went cold turkey last year when I found out I was pregnant and I would never wish the widrawl on anyone. Like a dummy I started taking it again to help with the pain after the baby was born. Getting more pills is not a problem I just want off this mess.

Thank you.

mareke is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfrossard View Post
    Hello, I take Ultram 300mg ER. I have been taking it for the past five years. I would really like to stop taking it. I have 20 pills of the 300 mg and 60 pills of the 50mg.

My pain clinic just writes scripts and wont listen. I have severe jaw pain and migraines. I am prescribed a migraine medicine and it helps. I also take gabapentin. Any one else out there with the same symptoms and what are you doing to help with the pain?

I am also trying to find the best way to stop taking this medicine with the quanities I have. I went cold turkey last year when I found out I was pregnant and I would never wish the widrawl on anyone. Like a dummy I started taking it again to help with the pain after the baby was born. Getting more pills is not a problem I just want off this mess.

Thank you.
    If you have jaw pain and migraines I'd imagine that tramadol wouldn't be terribly effective for relieving the sort of pain those conditions would involve and with the number of pills you have in reserve you probably won't be able to stop taking tramadol because once you went into withdrawal or if your migraine pain and/or jaw pain became too great the temptation to take more tramadol would be hard to resist.

I take tramadol on and on and off basis. I go on it for a while and use it to help me get lots of things done that would normally cause me pain and then I go off it for at least as long as I've been on it so that I enjoy periods of feeling normal and having normal brain acuity and so that I don't get addicted to it by being on it continuously. I guess I'm a bit unusual in that respect.

From my point of view being on tramadol has the benefit of enabling me to do lots of things without feeling the pain that I would normally have if I tried doing them without tramadol. As much as I find tramadol useful in that respect I also very much like being off the drug. Tramadol takes away part of your real self by dulling your personality and I very much value being my real self.

Getting off tramadol for me is a predictable process lasting about 3 days from when the withdrawal symptoms set in. I find coming off tramadol unpleasant but bearable. I go cold turkey and when withdrawal sets in I live quietly and rest and sleep as much as I can and wait for the unpleasant symptoms to pass. I know that on the 4th day I'll feel much better and be pretty much back to normal and after a few more days I'll feel really good. It's a predictable process and I've done it many times.

While I'm going through withdrawal I eat plenty of comfort food because the pleasurable feelings the food gives me helps counterbalance the unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

I make sure that I avoid alcohol during the withdrawal period and I try to avoid situations that might cause me stress.

I know that during the withdrawal period my judgement is impaired so I don't make any foolish decisions and I just wait for the withdrawal symptoms to pass and I know that if I wait 3 days I will feel much better on the 4th day.

Tramadol is not a drug that I want to be on continuously because then you forget what it's like to be normal. It's taken me a long time to learn how to be on the drug for a while and then go off it for a while and I guess I'm fortunate in being able to do this.

When I first started taking tramadol I wound up on quite high doses of 400 mg a day and I was on it continuously for about 4 years and of course my body became used to it and I felt bad if I stopped taking it. Coming off 400 mg a day by going cold turkey was quite unpleasant but bearable and these days I typically take no more 150 mg (on rare occasions I might take 200 mg).

The way I went off it after being on 400 mg a day for 4 years was by making sure I used it all up and that my doctor wasn’t available to give me more when withdrawal set in (because it was the day before Christmas when I ran out). I knew the doctor wouldn’t be available to give me more so I had no choice but to go through withdrawal. I did it that way because I knew that if I had any tramadol available when the worst of the withdrawal set in I would not have been able to resist taking it.

With the amount of pills you have in reserve you would likely find it almost impossible to resist the urge to take more when withdrawal was at it its worst. When you have no pills to take and are in withdrawal and the doctor isn’t available to give you more it makes it simple-you have no choice but to see out the withdrawal period!

On the dose that you are on you would go through a pretty strong and unpleasant withdrawal. You could try tapering down a little before stopping but you would still have to go through a fairly unpleasant withdrawal. There is no way to avoid this. When I stop I prefer to just go cold turkey and wait out the 3 days of suffering before I feel better on the 4th day. I prefer to go off it cold turkey because I'd rather get it over as quick as possible.

If you have severe migraine and jaw pain I suspect that the temptation to take more tramadol when you are in severe pain would be high. If I was in a lot of pain and I had tramadol available I'd take it because I see nothing noble about suffering with severe pain.

The fact that you got off the stuff by going cold turkey when you were pregnant shows that you are able to stop taking it when you put your mind to it (as you did for the sake of your unborn child). You could do it again but you'd have to have some sort of plan for dealing with your pain otherwise you'd probably wind up back on it. If the pain clinic just writes more scripts for you rather than helping you find another way of dealing with the pain then you either need to find some other place that will help you find an alternative way of dealing with your pain or develop your own plan.

I don't suffer from intense pain like you would with migraines and jaw pain. I just suffer a lot of joint pain particularly when I try to do too much so I guess compared to you I'm lucky. I exercise regularly by walking for an hour a day on a treadmill and rest when I need to and I can manage my pain so that I can live without tramadol and survive by taking milder painkillers and watching what I do when I'm not taking tramadol. Given your type of pain I'd imagine it would be harder for you to do this. I don’t envy you because unless you can find an alternative way of dealing with your migraines and jaw pain you will probably find it very hard to give up tramadol.

Tramadol has the unfortunate characteristic that if you go off it and start to feel good and then your pain gets so bad that you take it just once for pain relief you suffer a similar withdrawal to what you experience after being on it continuously and then stopping. Once you take a single dose it lifts you up to a sort of plateau and subsequent doses keep you at the plateau and stop you experiencing withdrawal. I’ve tried on several occasions taking it just once and stopping after a single day on it and I discovered that I still suffer for 3 days before feeling okay again! This means it isn’t a painkiller you can take just once or twice when you are in a lot of pain.

I wish you well and hope you find an alternative way of dealing with your pain.
    jujubes likes this.

scaredoftramadol is offline New Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by princessemily View Post
    I no this thread was started ages ago, but really hope someone is reading this still.

I have been taking tramadol for about 5 years now for pelvic adhesions and would love to try and get off it now. I tried sopping it completely and i can honestly say i thought i was dying!!!!!!
    I take up to 400mg a day, 100mg every 4 hrs.
    When i spoke to my dr about it she gave me some tramacet - 37.5mg tramadol and some paracetamol and told me to wean myself of slowly but didnt really give me much advice on how.
    So i have boxes of the tramacet AND 50mg pills of tramadol.
    Does anyone have any ideas how i can slowly wean myself off it.
    its 5.30 in the morn and i have been tossing and turning and am soooooo tired but can not sleep and my hot and cold flushes are awful!!!!!

Please please help me!!!!!!!
    Feeling like I'm going to die of grief! I've been taking this ???? for 7 years, anywhere between 2-4 50mg pill per day... without missing a single day. I can't believe it's been that long and I feel horrible for being this addict that I never intended to become. I just want to be normal again. I want to "un-know" what this poison is like. I want to never crave it again. I absolutely HATE THIS STUFF!

I just had a very serious RAGE outburst last night at a family member and it scared the hell out of everyone. Now everyone is afraid of me and wants nothing to do with me. I've scared my OWN family. This happened because I'm trying to wean off of it and it causes anger/rage in a lot of people from what I've read.

I've been down to as little as 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 pill before bed to keep the restless leg syndrome away. Apart from the rage, I've been crying all day long with only short moments between where I don't cry, but I look horrible.

My plan is to wean down slowly as I did before and, instead of using half a pill to get to sleep, take an antihistamine to knock me out.

I can't believe who I am and what I've become now. I'm dependent on a drug for mental stability and the ability to sleep. WTF happened!?! This isn't me! It's not who I am or who I want to be!

I'll update with my progress. Right now is the worst moment in my life...

bg_chelle is offline New Member

Default tramadol

iI have been using tramadol for a lil over a year and I am soo scared I have been taking about eight fifty mg tabs every four to six hrs I ween myself off them every few weeks only to go right back to them I stay up for days at a time and I am experiencing muscle twitches and sometimes I am physically unable to blink very often I normally buy 180 tabs and that doesn't last me a week my family knows I take them but I lie about how many when I've been up for a couple days I start to nod off unvoluntarily I have burned ciggarett holes in my clothes my bed linens and my self I am afraid to go to rehab because if someone ever found out I have a problem I could lose my job and the respect of everyone that knows me I have been off them for about two weeks now but I just purchased some more and I know I can't resist them I don't know what to do
    geraldinef likes this.

geraldinef is offline New Member

hi my name is geraldine and im 35yrs old and from belfast in n.ireland please contact me as im goin thriugh the same thing as u and need some support, ive been on tramadol 13yrs 800mg a day and my doctor has reduced my dose i ave only started and im dreading the withdrawals, and it wud b great to chat to some one who is goin thriugh the same thing thnax.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-01-2011 at 03:38 PM.

rowleyda is offline New Member

Default Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by geraldinef View Post
    hi my name is geraldine and im 35yrs old and from belfast in n.ireland please contact me as im goin thriugh the same thing as u and need some support, ive been on tramadol 13yrs 800mg a day and my doctor has reduced my dose i ave only started and im dreading the withdrawals, and it wud b great to chat to some one who is goin thriugh the same thing thnax.
    Geraldine, it is now September and I am wishing the best for you and hope that you are either off Tramadol or have cut down drastically and will soon be off this drug. I am on 4 pills a day (200 mgs) and I start tomorrow on tapering off. Please let me know how it has been for you. From what I understand, the tapering off method works if you stick to it. Let me know how you are doing and if you have any advice, I would love to hear it.

waitingforsomelight is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bg_chelle View Post
    iI have been using tramadol for a lil over a year and I am soo scared I have been taking about eight fifty mg tabs every four to six hrs I ween myself off them every few weeks only to go right back to them I stay up for days at a time and I am experiencing muscle twitches and sometimes I am physically unable to blink very often I normally buy 180 tabs and that doesn't last me a week my family knows I take them but I lie about how many when I've been up for a couple days I start to nod off unvoluntarily I have burned ciggarett holes in my clothes my bed linens and my self I am afraid to go to rehab because if someone ever found out I have a problem I could lose my job and the respect of everyone that knows me I have been off them for about two weeks now but I just purchased some more and I know I can't resist them I don't know what to do
    you really need to go to rehab. i know you care about ppl finding out but trust me it is better them knowing you are getting help then them finding you dead from a suprised addiction they didnt know about . they will know some how , or some way. YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ADDICTION, BUT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR RECOVERY. i am speaking from experience. i told my family 3 days ago. now my parents are holding my pills and weaning me off weekly. yes they are dissapointed. and it did crush me to tell them. but i could not imagine them finding out in another way...You are veryyyyy addicted to these, and you need help. its not your fault, but you can change it. you should change it. you deserve to be happy sober! i wish the best for you

habanohal is offline New Member

Hello all. My name is Craig. I have been self medicteing Tramadol for 15 years now. I have been a flooring installer for 23 years and the tear on my back ,knees etc. was killing me. I am 38 and at age of 24, my knees were too the point of haveing too be replaced. Too young too have it done or too have any kind of surgery too my back so I started takeing pills. Vicoden and cyclobenzaperin is what I mixed and didnt seem too help at all. just made me a mean person.
    O I asked the store owner for whom I worked for if she had anything for pain. She has cancer and numerous other things wrong. She gave me darvacet. I told here it didnt do anything after a week. So she handed me a bottle of Tramadol and said she couldnt take them with her illness anymore. Instantly I fell in love with them. Not just for pain relief but for the affect of that I was able too do twice the amount of work. Be able too install carpet day and night. I was happier all the time and so much energy. Started off takeing it just in the morning too deal with the pain from wakeing up . As time went on , I needed more and more too keep it up. At my max was up too 20-50mg pills a day(if I had alot of hmes too get done and needed the extra energy. I was pulling in over $1000 a day just installing carpet by myself, which is unheard of. Quickly my sources came too the internet for I am able too get anything I want, overnited too me from numerous pharmacies. Buying bulk at 5000 pills a time.

now over the years their wanst really problems with much of my mental ability or the affectinc of my family with my wife and 2 kids. Everyone knew when pills were wearing off by the way I acted and told me "you must not have taken pills on time".
    Forward too within the last 6 months. I have been diagnosed as bipolar too doctors that didnt know I was on tramadol until I told them. I have massive anxiety and paranoya if I dont take my pills every 4 hours. I can tell the exact time it is by the way I feel and if i need more pills. It is ruining my marrage of 18 years too the point where we are in counseling for my wife too figure out if she can stay with me or not.
    I have ruined pretty much mine, and my fanilies lives and am trying too make things better. Tuesday was the worst day of my life. It was the first day I had too stop Tramadol for 24 hours so the doctor could start saboxone. It was pretty much unbearable and something I wish on noone.

I startedeSaboxone yesturday and not haveing fun. I am getting high with massive withdrawl . Right now I just came back from throwing up for a while. This morning has been anightmare of high, with withdrawl and uncontrolable rushes where I am crying uncontrolably every 15 minutes. Russhes of hard feelings of that the world is against me.
    Now trying too get a hold of my doctor \for I am unable too function since 2 days ago I got off tramadol and started Saboxone.

Take this as you may. I might be just rambling on , but I am soo happy I am not alone in this and that I know that I am not just the isolated case of Tramadol. Eventhe pharmacists along with the years of doctors still say its not addictive. ( only a handful say it is)
    I am just happy I have found a place where others can relate and I thank you.

DamnataAnimus is offline Junior Member

I am not an expert but to me it sounds like you may have started the suboxone too soon (after your last tramadol). From what I am reading here on this forum you need to wait for moderate to severe withdrawls to set in before starting the suboxone. Here is a link explaining it more. Hopefully someone with more experience than I comes along to give you advice such as Robert325.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

I wish you luck!

Olpokerface is offline New Member

Hey craig I feel your pain for me the anxiety,depression,uncontrollable crying and panic attacks were the worst part of tramadol withdrawal. I quit cold turkey 9 days ago so I still have all those symptoms but they are getting less and less every day. Today I am feeling ok. I got my doc to give me some valium ( only 10 5mg pills) and I take one when it's really bad and it helps. Good luck my freind.

Jimih1975 is offline New Member

Default Will it ever go away?

Hi everyone. I've been through the same hard times as most on here. I'm now at day 6 tramadol free but still feel pretty rough today. When will it end?! Sitting here thinking if I take one, all my pain/anxiety etc will go away but have came this far so want to hang in there. Seems to get better with every day but just wish it would end now!

sbray83 is offline New Member

Default Tramadol issues

hi im steve i have been taking tramadol for 7/8 months now for back pain i am currently taking 2x50mg tabs 5 times a day at least on occasion recently i have been taking 3x50mg i have recently realised that i am addicted to tramadol the amounts i am taking are not really doing much for me now im just taking them because i have to when they start to wear off i get these horrid shock like feelings. i am also taking pregablin 150mg 3 times a day venlafaxin 150mg once a day and zopiclone 7.5mg although i have been taking 2 of these at night to try and sleep. the problem i have is that i forgot to do a repeat perscription over the easter holidays so i have tapered down my dose as best i can over the last few days and last night took my last 100mg. so far i have been feeling pretty rough the shocks are with me all the time and i feel very on edge and anxious, i suffer from bad anxiety and panic attacks and depression hence all the other meds, and am really not looking forward to whats to come i guess i really want to ask you all is what can i expect to have to deal with and is there anything i can do to help myself??? i have thinking about getting hold of some weed to see if that will take the edge off, even if i want to give up and take the tramadol again i have got to wait 3 days for my perscription to be done.

any help would be great
    cheers
    steve

SuzieOf is offline Member

Steve, I wish I could tell you something that could be helpful but I don't know much. I know this drug can cause seizures so be very careful. Could you call your doctor and tell what happened? I just wanted to say that many times weed can cause anxiety for someone who already has anxiety issues. Good luck my friend.

sbray83 is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbray83 View Post
    hi im steve i have been taking tramadol for 7/8 months now for back pain i am currently taking 2x50mg tabs 5 times a day at least on occasion recently i have been taking 3x50mg i have recently realised that i am addicted to tramadol the amounts i am taking are not really doing much for me now im just taking them because i have to when they start to wear off i get these horrid shock like feelings. i am also taking pregablin 150mg 3 times a day venlafaxin 150mg once a day and zopiclone 7.5mg although i have been taking 2 of these at night to try and sleep. the problem i have is that i forgot to do a repeat perscription over the easter holidays so i have tapered down my dose as best i can over the last few days and last night took my last 100mg. so far i have been feeling pretty rough the shocks are with me all the time and i feel very on edge and anxious, i suffer from bad anxiety and panic attacks and depression hence all the other meds, and am really not looking forward to whats to come i guess i really want to ask you all is what can i expect to have to deal with and is there anything i can do to help myself??? i have thinking about getting hold of some weed to see if that will take the edge off, even if i want to give up and take the tramadol again i have got to wait 3 days for my perscription to be done.

any help would be great
    cheers
    steve
    Hi Steve,

Seriously, if I were you I'd go see your doctor and tell him what's going on and see if you can get enough to do a real taper. You are tapering too fast, and it's going to be bad. Suzie is right that coming off trams too fast can cause seizures, and you're on a high dose. Especially because you're prone to depression, it's not a good idea to jump off so abruptly. Tramadol is an opioid that also acts on serotonin in the brain, so it's as though you're abruptly discontinuing an SSRI at the same time.

The physical withdrawal effects of tramadol are bad, but I always thought the emotional symptoms were a lot worse. This is not something you want to try to ride out alone, especially if you already have issues with anxiety and depression.

If your doctor won't help you, I'd seriously go the the ER and tell them what's going on. Then make a plan to taper off gradually.

Weed is not going to do anything for you, I'm afraid. Your best bet is to get back on the trams and do a slow taper.

Good luck and take care,
    Maisie