• 1 Post By Denny_D
  • 1 Post By mommyof3tobe
  • 1 Post By michellelisa1982
  • 1 Post By mommyof3tobe
Taper taper taper!!!!!!!
    michellelisa1982 is offline New Member

Default Taper taper taper!!!!!!!

Hi All,

In late January '11, I was in a 5 car collision on the way to the mall on a California freeway. If anyone knows how the freeways are here, they are MADNESS. I ended up hurting my mid-lower back. I was prescribed percocet 10/325. I started taking them as prescribed, but then of course I built the tolerance and ended up taking 12 a day max. My dr said to not go over 12, because 4,000mg of tylenol is max for a day.
    I thought it was ok. Til I realized my marriage was slipping away right before my eyes, because I had become so consumed with getting "high" all day and became a very selfish person.

Make a long story short, I got in a fight with my husband and I got thrown in jail for overnight. I started withdrawing then. When I got out on bail, I gave ALL my percs to my dad and had them dispense them to me. I took 2 pills split into 4 peices every 4-6 hours for 2 weeks. Some days I only needed 1.5 pills instead of 2.

This past Saturday, at 11am was my last dosage. I just said ok I tapered down enough to where its pointless for me to even be taking these things.

Its like smoking a ciggy. If you are down to 2 cigs a day, whats the point in even smoking???

So, today is Wed Oct 5th 2011 at 10:30am and I am still going strong.

My symptoms from tapering were: MUSCLE ACHES. Esp my legs and arms.
    My head feels like it's in a sinus bubble. Yesterday was the worse. Today I feel just ok. Low in energy, but I mustered up enough strength to wash the dishes, clean the kitchen and made 7 mini apple pies all hand cut and homemade. I sleep VERY well without any sleeping aids. I am taking motrin as needed if my leg aches get too bad. And my dr gave me Xanax for anxiety, which Ive been on since 2005.

I didnt experience horrible withdrawal due to the fact that my dr gave me 200 pills to help me TAPER from. Which is plenty enough to get me through. But they are not in my possession and my dad is very militant about dispensing them. Im glad he did that. He brought my dosage to my house everyday YOU MUST TAPER for minimal withdrawal. If you're taking 12 or 6 or whatever a day then just quit without tapering, then yes you are going to be more miserable. Naturally.

I have a 1 year old girl and a 9 year old girl. My husband is very very proud of me and says I am acting like how I did when we got married again. Sad thing is, when you are on these evil meds, you dont even realize a good thing is slipping away because you are so high and you dont care.

Last night I slept from 8:00pm-6:30am. I feel low energy now that I made all those pies, so Im just layin on the couch watching tv with my baby girl.

All Im sayin is if you can manage to get through 4 days of no perc u can keep going. Sure you're gonna feel a lil ??????, but I am also on Effexor for depression. I believe that is helping too. Call your dr and have him guide you through this.

Silly me, I was about to pay 34,000 to go to rehab when all I needed to do was taper under my dr's guidance. Love support and encouragement keeps you going strong. I suggest find a prodigal sons ans daughters somewhere near you to go to and meet other people who can also give you advice and learn God's love for you.

Best of Luck to everyone and may God Bless you all with healthier options in life! Same goes for me!!
    XOXO,
    Michelle

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by michellelisa1982 View Post
    Hi All,

In late January '11, I was in a 5 car collision on the way to the mall on a California freeway. If anyone knows how the freeways are here, they are MADNESS. I ended up hurting my mid-lower back. I was prescribed percocet 10/325. I started taking them as prescribed, but then of course I built the tolerance and ended up taking 12 a day max. My dr said to not go over 12, because 4,000mg of tylenol is max for a day.
    I thought it was ok. Til I realized my marriage was slipping away right before my eyes, because I had become so consumed with getting "high" all day and became a very selfish person.

Make a long story short, I got in a fight with my husband and I got thrown in jail for overnight. I started withdrawing then. When I got out on bail, I gave ALL my percs to my dad and had them dispense them to me. I took 2 pills split into 4 peices every 4-6 hours for 2 weeks. Some days I only needed 1.5 pills instead of 2.

This past Saturday, at 11am was my last dosage. I just said ok I tapered down enough to where its pointless for me to even be taking these things.

Its like smoking a ciggy. If you are down to 2 cigs a day, whats the point in even smoking???

So, today is Wed Oct 5th 2011 at 10:30am and I am still going strong.

My symptoms from tapering were: MUSCLE ACHES. Esp my legs and arms.
    My head feels like it's in a sinus bubble. Yesterday was the worse. Today I feel just ok. Low in energy, but I mustered up enough strength to wash the dishes, clean the kitchen and made 7 mini apple pies all hand cut and homemade. I sleep VERY well without any sleeping aids. I am taking motrin as needed if my leg aches get too bad. And my dr gave me Xanax for anxiety, which Ive been on since 2005.

I didnt experience horrible withdrawal due to the fact that my dr gave me 200 pills to help me TAPER from. Which is plenty enough to get me through. But they are not in my possession and my dad is very militant about dispensing them. Im glad he did that. He brought my dosage to my house everyday YOU MUST TAPER for minimal withdrawal. If you're taking 12 or 6 or whatever a day then just quit without tapering, then yes you are going to be more miserable. Naturally.

I have a 1 year old girl and a 9 year old girl. My husband is very very proud of me and says I am acting like how I did when we got married again. Sad thing is, when you are on these evil meds, you dont even realize a good thing is slipping away because you are so high and you dont care.

Last night I slept from 8:00pm-6:30am. I feel low energy now that I made all those pies, so Im just layin on the couch watching tv with my baby girl.

All Im sayin is if you can manage to get through 4 days of no perc u can keep going. Sure you're gonna feel a lil ??????, but I am also on Effexor for depression. I believe that is helping too. Call your dr and have him guide you through this.

Silly me, I was about to pay 34,000 to go to rehab when all I needed to do was taper under my dr's guidance. Love support and encouragement keeps you going strong. I suggest find a prodigal sons ans daughters somewhere near you to go to and meet other people who can also give you advice and learn God's love for you.

Best of Luck to everyone and may God Bless you all with healthier options in life! Same goes for me!!
    XOXO,
    Michelle
    Michelle .... That's quite a story and the message is clear. You have done a beautiful job in getting yourself clean. You are coming up on 1 week clean and that's quite an accomplishment. I'm so proud of you.

It's wonderful when someone posts here and tells their story so others may see it really is possible to do this too. Glad you were not seriously injured in that accident and now take some OTC meds for pain. Keep on posting and let us know how you are doing on your anniversary of being clean. Every 2 weeks, every month, 2 monts, etc. Great job. God Bless....Denny
    michellelisa1982 likes this.

mommyof3tobe is offline Junior Member

Hey there! Thank you so much for posting your story. As Denny mentioned, this is very inspiring to see that it can be done. I am currently tapering off hydros and at 2 1/2 pills/ day (18.25 mgs total). My situation is complicated though, as I am pregnant...was on subs got off them, then put back on hydros. Although I am doing pretty good now, I live in fear of the withdrawal. I know it will probably only be a week for the worst of it, but I keep trying to plan out in my mind how it will be and worry for me and the baby.

Do you mind me asking what mgs you were at when you stopped? If I am reading correctly you took 2 10mgs percocets a day so 20mgs?

Congratulations on being free! It is very nice to read a story on here where the withdrawals are minimal.

Default Thank You Denny and Momof3tobe!!!

First off, thank You Denny for your encouraging words! It really made me feel nice and more inspired to get through this!

Momof3tobe: When I decided to stop taking my percocets, I was only taking from 12 a day, I got down to 1.5-2 pills max a day. My dad cut them in halves, so I took a half pill every 4-6 hours, I would hold on as long as I could til I started REALLY feeling like I ABSOLUTELY HAD to take another half. It is a mind game. Finally, last Saturday at 11am I decided that would be my last dosage. I took 1 pill, (10/325) and NEVER looked back. I TOO was VERY VERY fearful of what the withdrawals would be like. i READ UP ON SO MUCH STUFF THAT SCARED ME!!! But to be truthful, hardly ANY of the symptoms they listed happened because of the fact that I tapered!!!!! You can do it!!!!!! My body today, day 4, is finally NOT aching!!!! Its just a head funk. Like maybe like a sinus congestion. Im not in any disoriented....Im not breaking out in hot/cold sweats, I sleep wonderfully, and I just keep praying and telling myself its a mind game. Don't be scared, JUST DO IT! You are at the point where I was mg wise, you can just cut it off now and be fine! Plus you are expecting, and the pain the baby would possibly go through if it were to be born addicted to the pain med would make you feel more happy if you got off them now instead of later. IMO. I had a son that passed away at 3 months in the NICU, not due to any medicine I was on, I just had a subchorionic hematoma, that made me go into labor at 24 weeks; 4 days. But for any baby suffer is a horrible thing. In fact, my company that I own out here in Silicon Valley donates 10% of EVERY deposition to March of Dimes I am a huge advocate for them! And these pain killer addictions are no joke, it can happen to anyone! And innocently too, as it did I. I am praying for you dear. Plz feel free to write me and YOU CAN DO IT! I am doing it now and boy I feel proud! 4 days in the grand scheme of things seems so microscopic, but to us addicts, its a HUGE deal! So keep truckin you can do it!!! God Bless and do it for you and the baby in your belly Hugs.

Default Waisman Method....

]This method has crossed my mind. I even had a consult on it. Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover the costs of 26,000. But neither did rehab that was 34,000. What Im trying to say is you can do this under your dr's supervision at home and I am a HUGE HUGE believer in tapering!!!!! You want to feel the suffering to remind you to NEVER do this again, that's the ultimate reason why I chose not to do the Waisman Method.

Get down to the lowest dosage you can manage, seriously just do it!!!! You will not regret!!! I am such a HUGE believer everyone can do this! Do not substitute one medicine for another! Plz, your brain chemistry will work it's way back to normal. Your serotonin levels will come back to normal, your dopamine levels will come back normally. Just takes time. Think about the amount of time you have been taking these pills, your body will need time to repair. So just do it and your body will thank you, especially your liver LOL!!! Love to all and to all, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!! Amen!!!!!!
    XOXO,
    Michelle B. [/FONT]
    patches30 likes this.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your reply. I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I can't imagine what you went through!

As far as the taper is concerned, I am under 2 doctors care doing this. I can't just quit as I would like to, believe me. They feel that it is safer to taper down to 1 pill or so and go from there for me and the baby. I was on subs, went through sub withdrawal, then they put me on hydros. I was only at 30mgs max (3 months ago) and have been weaning 1/2 a pill every month, now every 3 weeks. I go back to the dr next week and hoping they will let me be more aggressive to every 2 weeks or less since I handling the taper well. Believe me, everyone plans to have me off so the baby doesn't suffer. This is the #1 priority. If anything, I am pushing to get off sooner than they want.

Glad to hear that withdrawals aren't bad for you. Actually, it is a huge relief. I am very happy for you and hope that I can experience the same since I am around the same dose and I will be even lower when done with the doctor assisted taper. Please keep posting...would love to hear how you do!

Default to Mommytobeof3

wow girl! sounds like you've got a plan!! Im so happy to hear thjat you are doing all this with dr's watching over you. Actually yes get down to the lowest dosage is great!!! I know you can do it and feel minimal withdraw.

I went to bed at 9pm last night and woke up at 6am. I didn;t have any body aches when I woke up initially, but my legs are now aching a tad bit. But Im also riding the cotton pony too LOL. So, i may be cramping cuz of that too....

My head finally feels more free of the heaviness I was having...almost like a sinus congestion. Ive been taking, baclofen, a weak muscle relaxer, some xanax, and effexor xr. Those are all meds I was on way before the addiction anyway.

Finally feeling and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. 11am today will mark 5 days for me.

I want you to continue writing me, as I would like to hear your progress.

I was SOOOO TERRIFIED to stop taking my percs, but Im so glad I just sucked it up and did it. And good for you, you are on a lower dosage than I was!

Keep up the good work girl and I'll be prayin for you n me and all the addicts out there!!!
    XOXO,
    Michelle B.

That is just wonderful that you aren't suffering too bad. You TRULY give me hope! I am really amazed at the sleep you are getting as well. When I jumped from subs that was the hardest and most irritating symptom. The first couple of days that the withdrawal hit (days 3-5) I could not sleep more than a couple of hours. Would wake up with severe RLS and just plain uncomfortable. It was sooo frustrating! Even after about 3 weeks to a month after my jump, I was still waking up around 3am unable to go back to sleep...even on weekends! It was pretty grueling on my mental state.I have since leveled out and still don't sleep as much as I would like but definitely better. A lot of the new sleep challenges could just be pregnancy too. Anyways, enough about me...glad you are sleeping, bottom line

So, how did you know that day was the day you were done? Did you plan it? I keep going back and forth in my head trying to work out the perfect time...even though the doctors want me to wait until 3 weeks for each drop. Like I said, I am hoping to talk her into a shorter drop this next time when I visit next week. I honestly level out after about 4 days and my only symptoms are a little restlessness and anxiety going to bed at night and in the mornings with each drop. Also, did you go from 12 pills a day to 2 overnight? That is amazing if so!

Sorry for all of the questions, but honestly you are the first person I have seen get off and not really struggle. Most people say it is short lived, but still pretty hard the first few days. Normally I wouldn't care and could stick it out, but I worry it will be too much for the baby. Hope is a magical thing, and you have given me some

Default Day 6 freeeeeee!!!!!

Thanks girl!!! Today is day 6 and I pretty much feel back to normal except for my head. I know that it'll just take a while for my head to start feeling completely normal again, its just a heavy head, like a allergy head feeling. But nothing I cant function on.

I actually went from 12 to 6 and then 6 to 2 and then nothing. I decided my quitting date would be that day because 12 hours after my dosage of 1 pill, i had no withdrawal feelings nor did I feel the need to take another pill!!! So I just said screw it, Im done with these!!! And I never looked back! Last night I took all my left over percs in my hands, I looked at them straight in the eye like they were little demons and I held them really tight and said a nice long prayer and I flushed em all down the toilet! It was the BEST feeling ever to say bye you little #$%%^'s, you're not ruining my life! AMAZING! And I never plan in taking them again, because what I have in life is SO amazing, I never would lose it over some stupid pill. Honestly, I have got the best life ever and I am not letting it slip away.

So no more body aches, went out with friends last night to starbux after my NA meeting and I feel amazing!!!

You have to listen to YOUR body, not the dr's. The dr doesnt know how your body is feeling, they are just giving you a basic timeline and I think you want to hold on to every little bit u have left and listen to them....well listen to your heart, bc 99.9% of the time it is right

Good Luck sweetie, let me know how it goes!!

XOXO,
    Michelle B.

patches30 is offline New Member

Hi,
    I am on Fentanyl 100 and called the institute as well. Thought the same as you, experiencing withdrawal will deter using again. But, I am thinking of going to hazelten to detox. I am so scared to do it cold turkey. Also, my doctor will not help me because I betrayed his trust. Keep it up girl.
    Peace