Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
single mom needing advice on tapering down off of Oxy Neo
    Mirabellesmom is offline Member

Default single mom needing advice on tapering down off of Oxy Neo

I have pain issues from FM and was on oxy contin for years for it... now, i'm a mom and i really don't want this stuff in my life anymore. i had been clean for over a year and thought i could handle taking some oxy for pain relief without becoming re-addicted. i was wrong, of course! but now i'm using oxy neo not contin. its way harder to get out of my system. i feel the withdrawls RIGHT AWAY as soon as i get close to the 12 hr mark. i have managed to taper my dose down from 2 80mg tabs every 12hrs to 3/4 of an 80mg tab every 12hrs. i want to get any advice on how to continue to lower my dose so i can eventually just stop taking it without it impairing my daily resposabilities. i have an 8 month old daughter and a mom who is mostly bed-bound and in a wheel chair, to take care of every day. this is my most important issue- I CANNOT TAKE TIME OFF TO KICK THIS STUFF!!! i need to do this gradually so it doesnt impact my LIFE.

i would appreciate any advice on how long i should remain at a dose before trying to lower it... days? weeks? how much i should be lowering my dose, and how i should be lowering it? trying less often doses? trying smaller doses more often? any advice here would be helpful...

my goal is to be off of this drug PERMANANTLY but im not able to go thru my tried and tested methods of cold-turkey and suffering... my life- the reasons i want to be sober- needs me functional and i dont have the luxury of taking a week off to myself and just getting thru it!
    Last edited by Mirabellesmom; 09-26-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: rewording

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

The general taper method for opiates is to go down by 25%mg. every four days or so. I say "or so" because you want to make sure you're stable before you make another drop. I'd also keep the "every 12 hours" and stick to it. If you've been having w/d issues on your taper try the Thomas Recipe minus the valium (benzodiazapines). So if you are strong enough to do a taper, as you seem to be, keep going. The lower the dose the more difficult it may get, so take it slow and stay the course.
    Let us know how it is going!

Peace,

Iloerose
    sdonna68 likes this.

this 3/4 tab every 12 hrs isnt working but i dont want to go up on my 1 1/2 tab per 24hrs level... but at the 10hr mark im going thru withdrawl symptoms... tomorow im going to try a 1/2 tab every 8 hours. i am also going to try the supplements from the "thomas recipie"...i have been using 1 or 2 10mg valium to help with sleep and anxiety but im hoping that this change to a dose every 8hrs will allow me to drop the benzos and just continue at the same dose per 24hr poeriod...4 days seems really short but i will give it a try, but maybe a week at a time before lowering will work if i find 4 days too hard.

thanks for getting back to me... as for the 25%? how do i calculate that?

You have to keep track of the number of mg. you are taking. How long have you been at the 3/4 every 12 hours? How bad are the w/d symptoms at 10? bearable? Are you saying that your are going back up to 2 80mg? or are you going to just split you 1 1/5 or 120mg. dose?

O.k. after the interrogation: 4 days is NOT set in stone. You should drop .25% of the mg. amount you're taking. for example if you are taking 120mg., you would drop by approximately 30mg. so you and you will feel some w/d symptoms. You will not get off totally free of them on this. In fact I would think it's pretty normal to experience the w/d symptoms you are around the 10 hour mark until you stabilize. However, once you stabilize you have to drop again. That's why many prefer c/t. GET IT OUT NOW . If that's not doable, then you'll just need to put up with some discomfort. I'm glad and proud of you for deciding to do this on your own.

Peace,

Iloerose

i backed up to taking my dose at 10hr intervals for 2 doses... i am still at 60mg/dose... but the next day was easier to make it to the 12 hr mark... and thats what i've stuck with since... stopped the benzo's.. they were affecting my moods, so picked up a lil mary-jane instead and it really helps with my sleep as well as the pain of the withdrawls... i think im going to go with a 1 week schedule intstead of 4 days.. and i'm going to shoot for a 25% taper come tuesday... thats a reduction of 30mgs a day... but i wont beat myself up too hard if i have to start with a 20mg reduction, my plan is to do this slow enuff that it doesnt impact my life too much.. also, so i have enuff time to not be freaked out.... slow and steady and not coming down hard on myself when i have ruff days... thats my game plan!

I just need to stay positive and keep myself immerssed in my family and all the reasons why i want to be rid of all this stuff... its no good staying in bed and listening to all the crazy talk in your head... the stuff that says, "hey, whats the big deal if you need to take a couple pills to make it thru the day! You're a good mom, a good daughter, you take care of everything you need to every day.... this stuff just makes it a little easier for you to do all that... it's no big deal, really..." Staying focused on being on track to freedom from these pills is what is important. My daughter deserves a mom that doesn't rely on chemical substitues for reality... thanks for all your help and support...

I guess alot of folks come down on the pot thing kinda negatively, but it really has less side effects than valium or adivan, and it helps with more issues... helps with pain, nausea and upset stomache and sleep, so i am quite happy with it. it doesnt take much, about a 1/4 of a gram in a pipe about a half hour before bed. its medicinal grade, and the compassion club is helping me get my liscence to possess it legally... if i can stop using opiates completely and manage my pain with pot, then i'm willing to give it a try... and the guy at the compassion club wants me to try edibles... (once i'm liscenced) He says it works better for pain management than smoking it and removes the side effects of foggy brain and giggles.... have to say that i am looking forward to the day when my body doesnt ache from withdrawls and all i have to deal with is the fybromyalgia... i realize that pain management is a part of my life, for the rest of my life, but i don't want to deal with physical addiction as well... i am also reading some books on CBT (cognative behavioral therapy) and they are helping keep my head on straight and stay focus'd on my goals and the importance of achieving them...

I really appreciate all of your support and the info... helps more than you realize to know that there is a random stranger out there that is behind me and wants to see me succeed... thanks... /hug
    Last edited by Mirabellesmom; 09-29-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

You really seem committed to getting clean. I wish u
    all the best and hope u succeed. Iloerose has given u
    great advice....

i just came by to offer u more support.

i believe so much of this stuff is mental. If ur thoughts
    remain positive you can make things easier on urself in my
    opinion.

I'm really impressed with ur attitude. You seem so strong
    and tapering is NOT an easy thing to do....but i believe
    ur up for the challenge.

I'm fighting the same battle right now with subs and pills...
    can't make my mind up which way i want/should go.

Anyway i just wanted to say hi and congratulate u on making
    a great decision to get clean. Continue to listen to Iloerose and
    u should do ok.
    Last edited by Kikker; 09-29-2012 at 07:01 PM.

hey! thanks... its not been easy... but im having a strong day today!... some days--- not so much lol!

i have done the old c/t thing before... more times than i like to remember, but it takes the good right out of me for at least a week, and im really just a useless lump for the first 72hrs.... DONT HAVE TIME FOR THAT!!!!

I had been clean for about 6 months before i got pregnant, stayed clean thru my pregnancy, then had a C-section and they gave me oxy for the pain... and i have been struggling for the last 8 months really... not that i have been using for the whole 8 months but, i was at least THINKING about using for all of that time.... i would take some for a few days (migraine) and stop no problem... a few weeks later had an abcessed tooth that burst and had to be surgically drained (perc's- for 10 days.... stopped, but wasn't as easy)... a while later, blew out my knee and couldn't walk with out a cane... so i got a brace for the knee, and a cane, and a few T-3s..... when the T-3s ran out and i started looking for more i didnt run right to the 80s... i started with some supedol (10mgs oxy).. and then some of the darn oxy neo... when i tried to stop those i realized i had a monkey on my back (i think thats the phrase) i was feeling withdrawls (hardcore) and realised i was skrewed, addicted and in trouble... i was afraid that i would end up loosing my family and everything important to me... but i told my mother the truth and asked her to help me get clean... she sugested i look online for some advice on how to do this right... and thats how i ended up here!... thanks again for your support!

sorry, seems im in a bit of a babbling mood tonight! lol
    Last edited by Mirabellesmom; 09-29-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling errors??
    sdonna68 likes this.

It's nice that u told ur mom and she suggested u look online..
    i'm new here also but i have been reading for a bit...there
    is tons of support and encouragement on this forum.

It's so easy to get addicted to those pills. U had a few
    things happen to u and needed them...it's amazing u were
    able to stop at times.

Then after u have a few things happen and try to stop u
    find out how it really is. Same thing happened to me...had
    a injury that required surgery and that is how i started...
    thought i could stop and found out different.

I have tried suboxone to try and stop but seem to always go
    back to the pills.

I'm trying to decide whether to just remain on the subs or stop
    altogether. I might make a new thread about it.

You hang in there just as u are right now. U sound so strong
    and committed to this.

first time that i have slept right thru my 12hr dose... was suposed to be at 3:45 this morning... actually slept till 7:45... feeling pretty good!!!
    iloerose and shybaybe2003 like this.

Good for you. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I'm proud of you and amazed that you have the attitude to stay immersed in life and get out of your head. I would definitely stay on your plan. Hey, what works in the long run, works! I think you have worked out a good plan for YOU! As far as pot is concerned, I was a 70's child. Pot sure is less addicting in the long run. I know there is quite a controversy about it. But I know many people use it for a variety of illnesses and it seems to help them. So, post if you need support! Good for you getting out of the opiate rut, that just goes on and on and never stops. Keep on going, post and keep us updated and HUGS right back to you and thanks for the complements. That is what this board is here for: to help all that need help and support. Give the advice we can. Ultimate goal? To see everyone succeed and to know that it is possible to beat the opiate cycle. Good luck and post. Your posts help others as well.

Peace,

Iloerose
    shybaybe2003 likes this.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabellesmom View Post
    first time that i have slept right thru my 12hr dose... was suposed to be at 3:45 this morning... actually slept till 7:45... feeling pretty good!!!
    sleep helps SOOOOO much. I am glad your taking the steps to get clean. Post here and often. ALot of caring helpful and supportive people on here. AS far as the pot goes, i guess its up to the individual but i think in the long run you should kick the pot too, if you wanna stay away from all mind altering substances, including alcohol. Different opinions about this stuff, ultimately your choice. I am rooting for u either way!!!!!
    sdonna68 likes this.
    Clean and Sober as of 4-25-2011

notime is offline Junior Member

I'm with Shy, I didn't start feeling better until I started sleeping some. Sounds like you are in the process of whupping this evil thing! I put a screen saver of my son on my phone and any time that I had a urge I would spend a minute looking at the picture. My urges alway's passed and I alway's had a huge smile on my face, keep it up and you will be over this in no time.
    Eileen67r likes this.

wow.. thanks everyone!

have to say i'm a little nervous... 4pm is my last 60mg dose... let me see if i've gotten the math right. 25% of 120 is 30mg... to be honest, that seems like a big jump... maybe its just all the evils of the opiate brain games....

right, so thats dropping to a 45mg dose every 12hrs... maybe i'm setting myself up for failure, but i think i'm going to do it at a 10mg drop... 50mg... the 5mg might not seem like that big of a deal but.... i'm scared im gonna fail and i don't want to.. i really need to make this work!

ok so i'm kinda rambling and wavering all over the place... feeling a little emotional today..

Did u mean that instead of dropping to 90 mg u
    will instead drop to 100 mg...so that it's not
    too big of a reduction for u? Think that's what
    u mean.

I'll let the others offer their opinions on that but
    in my own opinion it's whatever works for u..

long as u are dropping the dose u are at
    least going the right way.

And ur not rambling at all...ur getting things
    out in the open and that's what u need to
    do. That's what the forum is for.

Again my sincere congrats for being able to taper
    ur dose. That is so difficult to do and takes lots
    of willpower. Keep right on going and keep up the
    positive thinking.
    iloerose likes this.

yes, you got it correct, tapering to a 50mg dose every 12hrs... see how that goes... fingers crossed

i know u got ur hands full with this taper and also
    taking care of ur mom and ur daughter...

but in all honesty u have to make urself the top
    priority in this. of course ur doing it for the both
    of them, but u have to do it for urself first and
    foremost.

i made the mistake of trying to do it for my
    girlfriend and those around me first and the end
    result was that my girl left me and i lost my house.
    i barely saved my job...i didn't want it for ME first...

i am just now seeing that it has to be that way.
    i'm working hard on doing that right now. i have
    to do it for me first and no one else....and i have
    to want it more than anything. u must do the
    same.

i gotta agree with shybaybe2003 about the use of
    the pot...it's totally up to u but i think u need to
    stay away from any and all mind altering
    substances...and i'll also support u either way.

as was said there are many different opinions about
    it. i know if i used pot or alcohol it would usually
    end up with me searching out more and more pills.
    once i quit the pot and alcohol i was able to
    concentrate more on the other.

i'm still not clean but working very hard on it right
    now. i'm either gonna remain on the subs or taper
    down from them soon. so it looks like there may
    be a taper in my future too!

u've already taperd ur dose down a large amount
    from where u were..so keep right on going and don't
    look back. U can do this and already are doing it.

just keep doing what u are....u have my full support.

Even going to the 50 will be o.k. as long as you're making progress. You can do this and are getting there. What really gets in your head is that sometime in the future you won't have anything to drop. Just keep up the slow and steady work that you've been doing and make up your mind you WILL BE CLEAN. You've done it so far, keep going and just HANG TOUGH. Treat the little symptoms if you have them and just get on with it, you can beat this.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Sunny mom and sdonna68 like this.

im feeling good, confident, and even a little optomistic! trying to get some sleep... tomorow night will not be as restful!
    sdonna68 likes this.

ok... stiff, sore.. some chills.... but i think im gonna be ok

it's going well so far... i'm adjusting to the lowered dose, smoked a little pot to make it past the chills and stiffness... today i'm focusing on staying plugged into my daughter and staying active so i don't have any time to stress... gonna take my daughter for her first trip to the pool! staying focused on my family and not giving myself time to doubt myself is making this easier for me... i know i will have to deal with some of my emotional baggage once i've kicked my addiction but now doesn't feel like the right time... just trying to cope with each day/hour/moment as it comes, stick to my plan and stay immersed in the reasons why i want rid of this problem...

that's the ticket...staying as busy as possible is the key
    to it. All that running around is what will keep u from
    using...at least for today it will and that's all that
    matters.

u have every reason to be proud of urself. ur doing
    what's necessary for u and ur family.

ur plan is solid (in my opinion) and will get u clean when ur
    ready. one of the others said..slow and steady wins the
    race. i fully believe that.

as long as ur committed, and u are, and lowering ur dose
    u will get there...

in fact u have given me the motivation i have needed to
    get my own life in order. ur words and ur posts have
    given me the strength and the push i have needed to get
    myself clean...

can't believe i'm even saying that right now.

i have relapsed many times over the years...and
    using subs now. i think it's time to work on my taper
    and follow ur lead.

time to get busy and get myself clean.

so by u having the strength u have, and the willpower
    u have shown to want to change...has helped another
    person here.

and for that i sincerely want to say thank you to
    mirabellasmom! i want u to be very proud of the fact
    that u have helped another addict. u have given me
    the hard 'push' that i have needed all along.

so i want to thank u again for that...yeah, it's way past
    time for me.

please keep posting ur thoughts and feelings so i can
    learn even more from u. together we can both beat
    this addiction and get our lives back.

oh my! you have brought tears to my eyes... i'm so glad that my struggle has inspired you towards changing your life!

this is not my first run in with being addicted to opiates... this is the first time that i still have something going on good in my life to get clean for... i got pretty well practiced at self destruction.... and was good at seeing how completely messed up i could make my life and somehow scrape myself together afterwards... but my daughter has changed everything... there is no way i want her to see life like that... i want her to live in a land of magic, sunshine and flowers... and i want to be PRESENT... i feel like i've been coping but not as organised and productive as i want to be... i think relying on opiates is holding me back, keeping me from enjoying and filling every moment life offers...

i got myself into this, but its not fair for my mess to impact those that depend on me.. thats why i'm going down really slowly... today is my first day on 50mgs every 12hrs and i'm handling it better than i expected. i want to stay at 50 for the next week, keeping tuesday as my drop down day... Tuesday the 9th, i will be dropping another 10mgs per dose... 40mgs every 12hrs... and so on... re-evaluate as neccessary.. ;P

good luck to everyone else out there fighting to get your lives back, don't stop believing that you can be free!

hugs to all, and here's hoping i can get some sleep!

miracle of miracles!!! i slept past my 4am dose! the night before last i was awake waiting for 4am to arrive...

that's awesome to hear!
    glad u were able to get some good sleep.

looks like this may not be a huge problem for u.

i think ur plan to drop every week (tues) is a good plan.
    then see how it goes for u.

if u need to change anything u can. by taking it slow
    there is much less chance of problems.

and yes, u have helped me in my own struggle. i have
    begun to taper down from the subs.

i will take it real slow this time just like u are.

thanks again for putting ur story out there for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikker View Post
    i have
    begun to taper down from the subs.

i will take it real slow this time just like u are.

i don't know what subs are...

but it seems like they are a replacement therapy like methadone??

i hope a taper works out for you too... although i have a question? it's been brought to my attention that 7 days on a dose wont give me enuff time to fully stabalize... it was suggested that i try 10 days so that i don't set myself up for failure... i'm good with the weekly drops but i don't wanna put myself into a position that i'm gonna relapse... any advice?

subs/methadone are maintenance replacements. Often times, doctors believe that subs should be used like methadone, which isn't necessary at all. It is possible to cross from DOC and taper subs. Subs don't get you "high" unless you are taking a dose that is too large. There is a great taper method for subs on the Featured Drugs forum.

If you want to stay off, mirabellesmom, you need to make that commitment. You are never going to use an opiate again. If you do, you will wind up back where you are now. My best advice is NA. I don't usually go for that "stuff", higher power, whatever, but you have fellowship at NA. People who are addicts. You just have to find the right meeting. there is not guarantee that once you get clean you will not have the urge for the drug. You need to be proactive and find some outside help. This board is helping you. Stick with it. I'll follow you and it seems that you and kikker have a good thing going with support, which will majorly help you. Read the threads on the different forums. Good luck to you and stay the course.

Peace,

Iloerose

i don't know what subs are...

but it seems like they are a replacement therapy like methadone??

i hope a taper works out for you too... although i have a question? it's been brought to my attention that 7 days on a dose wont give me enuff time to fully stabalize... it was suggested that i try 10 days so that i don't set myself up for failure... i'm good with the weekly drops but i don't wanna put myself into a position that i'm gonna relapse... any advice?
    i use the subs to prevent withdrawals symptoms from years
    of taking narcotic pain meds.

subs is short for suboxone or subutex.
    some addicts switch from methadone to subs to get clean.
    it just makes it easier in some peoples opinion.

i was able to get clean by ct many times from pills only to relapse.
    i have used subs a few times also.
    it was even in my thought process to remain on subs for life
    because they make u feel almost completely normal.

but subs are also an opiate too. so remaining on them is still not
    being completely clean. i don't want to continue that process.

do to u and ur strong committment to get clean i decided to
    do the same.
    so now i am tapering down from my sub dose.
    i am making a firm stance that this will be my final time.
    i will get clean and enjoy a new life that all addicts deserve.

there is no way that i can do this any longer.
    i've already lost way too much.

iloerose said it exactly right about the subs.

regarding whether u should be on a particular dose for either
    7 days or 10 days is entirely up to u.
    in my own humble opinion it really doesn't matter if it's 7 days,
    10 days, or even 20 days.
    what works for u is all that's really important.

in my own persoonal opinion 7 days is plenty of time to reduce ur dose.

this is no race.
    all u need to do is finish.
    how u get clean really doesn't matter....only that u are!

as long as u are reducing ur dose ur doing it right.
    slow and steady wins the race.

thank u so much for ur questions, and of course ur support.

i have heard here mentioned over and over that u have to really
    WANT IT bad enough.
    i know for certain that i do.

it sure looks and sounds as if u do too...

lets get this done together!
    iloerose and freesoon like this.

HarrySmooth is offline Advanced Member

Hi Everyone...I'm Harry, and I dont want to intrude, but I just wanted to comment on how Remarkable it is that SO many WONDERFUL people Help SO many Others on here in these Forums! It is Like a "Chain Effect"...I began just this Week on my "Subs" and almost immediately "Kikker" came "riding in" on his White Horse to Help me, and what a "God-Send" he is! So here I go following HIS Threads, and came upon THIS one, where YOU, Mirabellesmom, iloerose, Kikker and others are helping you, and it goes on & On...People in Need Helping People in Need! It is Just Wonderful! I began the Subs this week, (Monday) and the Doc Overdosed the HECK out of me on the 2nd day, and I came here and got Valuble information that stabilized me and got me on my way....so I am calling TODAY "Day One" of my Subs Replacement Therapy....Stay with it Mirabellesmom, You CAN do it and WILL do it, I have Faith in you because for once.....I FINALLY have faith in ........ME!!!!
    Best of Luck to you!!!
    Harry
    Last edited by HarrySmooth; 10-04-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Eileen67r likes this.

Hey!... glad to run into so many great people... its good to have random support of strangers dealing with simillar isues...

i'm doin ok on my reduced dose... its getting easier... very tierd tho... hugz all... nap time!

Hey!... glad to run into so many great people... its good to have random support of strangers dealing with simillar isues...

i'm doin ok on my reduced dose... its getting easier... very tierd tho... hugz all... nap time!
    just checking on u to see how ur doing today.
    hope ur day is going well.
    stay strong and vigilant.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast