Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
pregnancy and tramadol...
    gemzybaby is offline New Member

Unhappy pregnancy and tramadol...

hi everyone
    okay so ive looked around for answers but dont seem 2 find anything i need. have been on 100mg tramadol ( ranging from 2-4 a day) for a year and ive recently found out im pregnant. i am desperate 2 stop taking these, i have tried cold turkey and its really hard, everything hurts i have no energy , i get the "shocks" everything. . i also have 3 kids aged 5,4,2 to look after so when i get withdrawal i usually cant cope and simply pop more to make me better. this time tho i know i really have 2 stop, its upsetting because i feel like 2 ppl, 1 who knows she shudnt take them and doesnt want 2 then the other sayin u have 2 u need it... ahhh its killing me to be honest. i dnt want a baby born with withdrawal or any other nasty symptom. im only really early preg 5-6 weeks and i only found out 4 days ago but i really need 2 kick this its not just that but they give me awful mood swings, i am like a real life jekyl and hyde can anybody give me advice please? and should i tell my doctor? ( my pills arent prescribed )
    thanks for reading

i would like 2 add that i usually dont space my dose out. first thing in the morning i take 2 with coffe then usually middle afternoon a take more. i have been on antid prescribed by doc but hav stopped sice finding ut im preg. i wish it was that easy for trams i know i am going 2 experience the backlash of that but untill the doc says its okay 2 take them i will continue not 2. i even stopped my daily vitamin. i now wish i never took that first pill. :'( also (not sure if this makes a difference) but i have been taking 3-9 30/500 cocadamol a day which i have also stopped.
    Last edited by gemzybaby; 07-25-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: had 2 add more info

i have read thru this forum and wow u guys are 1 big family, the support u give each other has brang tears to my eyes (happy tears) i do feel like a fraud as most have ur addiction due 2 injuries etc whereas i had no reason 2 start poppin pills robert dog and many others ur words of encouragement are awesome i would really like a plan 2 stop my pills , i wanted 2 stop b4 i found out i was preg and now im even more determined. please dont think bad of me because i am expecting and still popping i have tried CT and never managed more than a few hours but after reading posts on here it seems dangerous? i also need 2 add that the 100mg tabs are prolonged release ones. if any more info is needed i can provide but i dont want 2 ramble on . ermm i was planning on seeing the doc about it but it seems they dont know how 2 fix it. im in despair on a final note even reading others storys has givin me hope. i know it wont b easy but then anything worth getting never is. thanks in advance for reading and i appreciate any replies
    lots of love (and hope)
    gemma xx

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Dear gemzbaby,

I'm glad you came here to ask about this. It sounds like you want to do what's best for your baby, so I pray you'll follow through with doing the right thing.

Tramadol does cross the placenta and affect the baby. But keep in mind, suddenly stopping will affect the baby, as well. So what you need to do first - is to tell your doctor - and this is essential. And tell him/her as soon as you can; this stage of pregnancy is so crucial. You won't be the first pregnant woman taking tramadol and you won't be the last! This issue is too important to NOT tell him/her. From my perspective, a slow careful taper off them would be best. But you need an MD's input on this, with the baby involved.

Also - do tell him/her about the antidepressant. Some ADs are safer than others during pregnancy, so it's best to consult the doc. I am not familiar with cocadamol, so I can't say anything on that.

Could you please keep us updated on what your doctor has to say? I'm praying they are able to work with you to slowly get off these drugs, but who knows what a specific doctor will suggest. My thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with you and your baby.

God bless,
    Ruth
    gemzybaby likes this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

I saw your update after I posted. I can't imagine why an OB/Gyn can not help you with this situation. That's part of their job! What do they expect you to do??? (Ask them!) Try talking to a pharmacist or two. Or talk to a detox or rehab facility, and ask their advice on what they would do. You can't just brush this aside and do nothing. The baby is and will be affected by this drug.

hi ruth
    thanks so much for taking the time to reply it really does mean so much
    i havent yet spoke 2 him about it , i have made an app with him tho. i got the impression the docs dont "help" with the situation just from reading posts, maybe i got the wrong end of the stick :/
    i fully understand how important it is 4 me 2 get off these now more than ever, i am fully committed and determined 2 stop. i got confused as the best way 2 do it as most info says 2 replace this with that and in my current position i cant. i had planned to go cold turkey and ride it out but then read u can get seizurres... its quite scary . i checked my anti-d on here against trams and it really dangerous 2 combine. that i never knew my doc hasnt prescribed me these trams and im scared what he will say but not scared enuff 2 NOT tell him.
    i have reduced my pills and if it wasnt 4 my 3 young children i wud spend a few days in bed going CT
    my app with the doc is 1st aug and in that time i am going to cut down and try skipping days.. if i can get past the first day then maybe im on my way? i said >> never done it longer than a few hours but this time i have more than just myself 2 think about. if i go CT am i guarantted 2 get seizures? is it worth taking that risk? xx

also ruth i stopped taking my anti-d as soon as i found out i was expecting. i think i said that above. i even stopped my daily vitamin 2 swap with a tailored 1 4 pregnancy xx

sorry i had spelt it wrong. co-codamol. (codiene + paracetamol) i am uk based so maybe we have different names xx

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by gemzybaby View Post
    sorry i had spelt it wrong. co-codamol. (codiene + paracetamol) i am uk based so maybe we have different names xx
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I got this link from the Drugs.com website here about the drug you are on so others can make more informed suggestions to you about it. We were thinking you meant Tramadol which may or may not be the same as the Co-Comadol here in the USA. I am assuming that it is nearly the same medication.

Co-Codamol
    http://www.drugs.com/uk/co-codamol-8...blets-402.html

I did read it and it does say it's ok to breastfeed while taking it, but I'm not entirely certain of how it may affect your pregnancy? You should really see your doctor as Ruth suggested. I just don't know that much about it, but wanted to let you know that you should begin to receive more replies about your situation, and to welcome you here with us.

You sure have your hands full with those little ones! I have a 4-year old son and he is enough work by himself. Can't imagine having 3 little ones at those young ages and another on the way, but I do think it's so awesome for you! You must be one wonderful Mother? I wish you the very best and it's nice to hear that you have been reading around the forum. Keep reading and you can find many answers that mimic your situation I'm sure.

Take care of yourself and if I can find more information for you I will certainly be back with it. Have a great day and again welcome to the forum.

Big Hugs,
    Karen

hi karen thanks for ur reply, i have followed ur thread regarding urs and i wish u all the best
    i was stating the different cocktail of tabs i was taking, cocodamol is fine i have stopped that tho as codiene is addictive. my concern is tramadol (ultram) in the 1st post of this thread i explain how much i take etc also they are prolonged release. cocoodamol isnt the issue as i can take or leave them its the tramadol 100mg tabs 2-4/5 times a dayy for over a year thanks for ur kind welcome
    aww i certainly do have my hands full, i also run a home business which leaves me with little time lol these are the main reasons i was taking tramadol as i cud get thru it all with no effort. i can sit at the table crafting for hours n not get backache as bad, same with housework kids etc lol i do try my best 2 be as good a mum as i can i have an app with my gp 1st aug and im hoping he will be able 2 give a solution. im guessing he will say cold turkey as other than the addiction i have no reason 2 be taking tramadol.

once again thanks for ur time in replying 2 me and i will be searching deeper 4 any similar situations
    hope 2 speak soon
    gemma xx

hi karen thanks for ur reply, i have followed ur thread regarding urs and i wish u all the best
    i was stating the different cocktail of tabs i was taking, cocodamol is fine i have stopped that tho as codiene is addictive. my concern is tramadol (ultram) in the 1st post of this thread i explain how much i take etc also they are prolonged release. cocoodamol isnt the issue as i can take or leave them its the tramadol 100mg tabs 2-4/5 times a dayy for over a year thanks for ur kind welcome
    aww i certainly do have my hands full, i also run a home business which leaves me with little time lol these are the main reasons i was taking tramadol as i cud get thru it all with no effort. i can sit at the table crafting for hours n not get backache as bad, same with housework kids etc lol i do try my best 2 be as good a mum as i can i have an app with my gp 1st aug and im hoping he will be able 2 give a solution. im guessing he will say cold turkey as other than the addiction i have no reason 2 be taking tramadol.

once again thanks for ur time in replying 2 me and i will be searching deeper 4 any similar situations
    hope 2 speak soon
    gemma xx
    Gemma,

Now this is what I have read here concerning the Tramadol, but from what others here say, it MUST be tapered, and very, very slowly. It could lead to seizures if reduced too quickly others have said. There is a person here by the name of "Maisie" that knows all about the Trams. Hopefully she will see your post or maybe someone can notify her and ask for her input. Sorry I got confused about the two medications.

I completely agree with Ruth about informing your doctor or OB. That is a must in my opinion also. I know you said your pills aren't prescribed, but the doctor will help you if you are honest with them in the beginning. I know it can be scary at first to admit that, but telling your OB/gyn is essential to your, and your baby's well being.

Or as Ruth also suggested, ask the Pharmacist, or Chemist as you call them in the UK I guess. They should be able to give you some answers you need. Just be real careful with those Tramadols. Just looking out for you is all. Please keep posting and let us know the outcome of all of this. I wish you the very best girl.

And thank you for reading my thread. Means alot to me really. Take care of yourself now and I hope to speak with you again real soon.

Big Hugs,
    Karen

Dear Gemzybaby,

First off, an ob/gyn is likely to help you with this detox/taper since this directly affects the baby. They may refer you to another doctor, if they're unsure of it. But I truly doubt they'll just dismiss it and leave you to struggle alone.

Do NOT stop the tramadol cold turkey!!! There is a risk of seizures, and generally, I recommend folks take an anti-seizure drug during that time. Since you're pregnant, I do not know if an anti-seizure drug might be harmful to the baby. But a seizure would be extremely risky to your pregnancy. Just do a very gradual taper - The full taper may ultimately take several weeks, but that lessens any chance of seizure or withdrawal symptoms. For right now, take 1/2 pill a day - and continue at that dosage for several days. Then reduce that by another 1/2 pill a day. And stay put for several days. That should bring you up to your appointment. Please don't go faster than that!

So don't think of skipping days with the tramadol any time soon. Take is slowwww. The seizure risk is too high.

Now that I realize the other drug (co-comadol) is codeine - yes, that needs to stop. Again - do it gradually. Any withdrawal symptoms you experience, your baby will experience. So no sudden changes are best. So cold turkey is not a good idea. Taper down by one pill a day - for several days, then take away another pill for several days. Then discuss it with your doctor.

You have been taking two narcotics, and this is a dangerous situation for your pregnancy. I am not judging you - it's only the Grace of God that I wasn't active in my addictions during my pregnancies, or it easily could have been me, too. But you must be completely honest with your doctor - that's the only way he can help. If he/she starts talking about "cold turkey" detox - I'd be very reluctant to agree.

As far as the effects of codeine on the baby, the rating for codeine (in the US) is category C in pregnancy, meaning, "Risk cannot be ruled out."

But I do want to clear up some misinformation you were given about breastfeeding. Codeine does pass through breast milk, so the baby does receive the drug. It has a sedative effect. Think of how small that baby is, and how little tolerance he/she has - compared to what you can tolerate. The sedative effect is the first sign, next is difficulty breathing, as narcotics slow respiration. It's just too dangerous. Newborn infants (in the first few weeks of life) are especially sensitive to the effects of narcotics. So I strongly suggest you stay away from any of these drugs if you plan to breastfeed.

I realize breastfeeding is a distant concern now, but I do not want the erroneous information to be out there for you (or anyone else) to follow. Treatment of pregnant mothers is a highly specialized field in substance abuse, and caution is always the best path.

God bless,
    Ruth

Ruth,

I am sorry if I provided some incorrect information, but I was reading the info I gave gemzybaby directly from the Drugs.com website right here. It clearly states in the "Pregnancy and Breastfeeding" section that Co-Codamdol can indeed be taken during breastfeeding. I will provide the information below and what it clearly says about that.

Pregnancy and breast-feeding
    •If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or plan to get pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking these tablets.
    •You can take co-codamol whilst breast-feeding.

Again this is directly from the Drugs.com website here for which I provided the link in post #9 above. But if you say it shouldn't be taken, then I'm sure it shouldn't be. I was only trying to be of some help.

Thank you and God Bless,
    Karen
    Last edited by Strong Desire; 07-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

You can take pain meds during breast feeding but it's better not to be taking anything. A healthy baby should not be anything but slightly lethargic from them. BUT breast feeding and during pregnancy are two different things. You really need to speak to a Doctor right away and tell them everything your taking. Narcotics do pass into breast milk. The most dangerous thing about narcotics is they carry the same risk to the baby, ADDICTION and WITHDRAWAL. I watched my baby girl w/d from stupid medications that my addict self told me I needed during pregnancy (klonopins and vicodin) and I don't have the heart to do it again. I'm lucky she's alive and smart as a whip. I'm pregnant too, 34 weeks, almost 35 and I've succesfully quit Xanax, Wellbutrin, Ritalin and now Subutex. Get to a Doc, do what's best for you and that little baby.
    gemzybaby likes this.
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

rxqueen83 is offline Member

You don't know the guilt I'm ridden with from potentially harming my daughter, so please, do the right thing ok? I know you will. I'm Nadia by the way.
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

Karen,

My response was based on my knowledge of codeine - as that's the active ingredient in co-codamol.

The literature that you read was the leaflet that the drug manufacturer packages with the drug. I am always reluctant to accept a drug company's own literature as the last word on the subject.

Karen, the issue of drugs and pregnancy or breastfeeding is a very specialized area, and not something that most folks can accurately advise on. Even with my education and experience, I referred Gemzy to her doctor. I take no chances when it comes to this field. Regardless, when an infant is involved, extreme caution is always the best route.

Gemzy is not taking these narcotics for pain - she has said she is taking them to get high. So there is absolutely no valid reason for her to be taking codeine while breastfeeding. I would never -ever- suggest a breastfeeding mother is "ok" taking codeine to get high! (In all honesty, I was stunned that you did.)

When giving advice in this forum, always keep in mind that your responses do not get read only by the original poster. Anyone may read your words, and accept your advice as valid. And, addicts that we are, if someone says it's "ok" to take codeine while breastfeeding, that's all the permission we need...

God bless,
    Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post

Karen,

My response was based on my knowledge of codeine - as that's the active ingredient in co-codamol.

The literature that you read was the leaflet that the drug manufacturer packages with the drug. I am always reluctant to accept a drug company's own literature as the last word on the subject.

Karen, the issue of drugs and pregnancy or breastfeeding is a very specialized area, and not something that most folks can accurately advise on. Even with my education and experience, I referred Gemzy to her doctor. I take no chances when it comes to this field. Regardless, when an infant is involved, extreme caution is always the best route.

Gemzy is not taking these narcotics for pain - she has said she is taking them to get high. So there is absolutely no valid reason for her to be taking codeine while breastfeeding. I would never -ever- suggest a breastfeeding mother is "ok" taking codeine to get high! (In all honesty, I was stunned that you did.)

When giving advice in this forum, always keep in mind that your responses do not get read only by the original poster. Anyone may read your words, and accept your advice as valid. And, addicts that we are, if someone says it's "ok" to take codeine while breastfeeding, that's all the permission we need...

God bless,
    Ruth
    Ruth,

I wasn't "suggesting" that it was ok to take anything while pregnant or breastfeeding. Not at all Ruth. I was only referring to information that I looked up for Gemma and relayed to her.

I have NEVER, EVER taken a prescription medication myself, and hope I never do. My addiction was by complete "accident" as I have said in my own story. I would never recommend or suggest to anyone, especially a pregnant Mother to take narcotics, opitaes, or codeine.

I think you misunderstood my reply to Gemma. Again I did not suggest to her that is was ok to take that codeine while breastfeeding. It was only my intentions to have her know that I read it on this website.

But you're right Ruth, about others reading what I wrote. So I promise you I will be much more careful in the future with my information. Thank you Ruth for caring enough about Gemma, and me too, to offer your side of things. I honestly really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Blessings to you always,
    Karen
    gemzybaby likes this.

thanks karen i will see if she finds this if not i will seek her out
    yes i will be discussing this with my gp , i think he may be relieved actually as we have been trying for a while now 2 figure why im gettin mod swings (obv i didnt tell him bout the tramadol and its only recently i put 2 n 2 together and realised thats the cause) i will keep in touch and update all on my progress. i only found out i was expecting a few days ago and i am determined 2 kick this
    thanks 4 ur kind words and support it means so much knowing there is people 2 talk 2 with similar situations
    gemma xx

hi ruth
    okay i will not attempt CT, that was the plan till i found this site (thankfuly i found it) i have capsules (prolonged release) so hw will i half? empty half out? or maybe i cud just take 1 in the am then 1 in the night time? my gp may even give me a lower dose who knows?
    i reaally must stress that i have only ust found out i am expecting and am very early on.. i do not wish 2 intentionally harm my baby (thats unforgivable imo) i have 3 beautiful healthy children already. finding out i am expecting has givin me the push i needed 2 kick this as there is more at stake than just myself.
    i appreciate from the bottom of my heart all ur kind words and advice.. i cannot express how much this means. i will give my gp a call and see if he can see me sooner , maybe when he hears why he may fit me in, (fingers crossed) so far today i have took 2 100mg and starting 2 feel poopy but its bearable, altho in the morn i will be bak at square 1 except now when i take the pill i feel extremely guilty, which isnt helping the deppression side. i even stooped my antids till i get the ok from gp. will keep u updated on what he says
    gemma xx

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    You can take pain meds during breast feeding but it's better not to be taking anything. A healthy baby should not be anything but slightly lethargic from them. BUT breast feeding and during pregnancy are two different things. You really need to speak to a Doctor right away and tell them everything your taking. Narcotics do pass into breast milk. The most dangerous thing about narcotics is they carry the same risk to the baby, ADDICTION and WITHDRAWAL. I watched my baby girl w/d from stupid medications that my addict self told me I needed during pregnancy (klonopins and vicodin) and I don't have the heart to do it again. I'm lucky she's alive and smart as a whip. I'm pregnant too, 34 weeks, almost 35 and I've succesfully quit Xanax, Wellbutrin, Ritalin and now Subutex. Get to a Doc, do what's best for you and that little baby.
    thankfully i have found out early on 5-6 weeks in, and also i found out a few days ago, i really have no intention of continuing my habit whilst preg, i feel awful about it now never mind how >> feel if i was heavily preg and still popping
    congrats on ur pregnancy hun and well done for kicking the habit 2 i am indeed trying my best 2 do whats best 4 baby, and no matter how i have 2 do this it will be done, and tbh i really cant wait 4 the day when i dont reach 4 the pills
    gemma xx

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    You don't know the guilt I'm ridden with from potentially harming my daughter, so please, do the right thing ok? I know you will. I'm Nadia by the way.
    nadia i can imagine ur pain hun , believe me i will do the right thing i am 100% dedicated 2 this. i have quit the smokes cut bak on caffiene stopped the codiene and even stopped my regular daily vitamin as it says so lol
    that will be replaced with a pregnancy vitamin i have even stopped my anti-d's , and i know 4 a fact i am gna hit a wall with that hopefully tomorrow the doc will say its okay 2 take them, without them it can be very dark and will make this process harder 4 me
    i will stress tho that i found this site by researching the effects of tramadol during pregnancy, and help quitting. my original plan was 2 go CT but now i know thats dangerous, either way my friend u have my word that 4 my baby and me i WILL kick this
    i anticipate the day when i am free and bak 2 myself
    thanks for taking ur time 2 reply 2 me and ur words are comforting and reassuring. 2 know that i have advice from people in the same sitch (or have been) means so much more than some1 who hasnt a clue.
    shall keep u all updated for sure
    gemma xx

Karen,

God bless,
    Ruth
    i am not breastfeeding yet and i dont think i "get high" i just feel more able 2 complete my demanding days, even the fittest person after a day of cleaning and scrubbing will get backache, i wud take a pill so i wudnt get that, i did take them 4 a reason but not 2 just simply get high, i am ( or maybe im not??) ( ahh now im questioning my mother skills ) a responsible person who didnt realsie what i was getting myself in2, b4 tramadol the only pain relief 2 pass my lips was paracetamol, (even then if was only absolutely nessasary) i dont mean this 2 sound abrupt or rude just feel ... ( i cant explain it actually) hmmm anyway
    please bear in mind i have only just found out about my pregnancy and am early on 5-6 weeks i will do my uttmost 2 kick this b4 i am 6months whatever i have 2 do. noway in this world will i introdce a helpless baby in2 this world already addicted 2 drugs and experiencing WD. i mean, i cant handle WD so it would make me one selfish b&%$h 2 intentionally do that 2 my child :'( brings tears 2 my eyes in fact. i came here 2 find out the best way 2 kick it and i am very gratefull for ur replies. i think i speak 4 alot when i say i wish i had a time machine....
    thanks again 4 ur reply i will post when i have spoke with gp and tell u what he recommends
    gemma xx

actually) . i mean, i cant handle WD so it would make me one selfish b&%$h 2 intentionally do that 2 my child :'( x
    i have an awful habit of sounding harsh as i dnt fully explain what i mean.... when i say a selfish b&*&%h i mean because i have felt the effects of tram WD if i took them knowing the harm and risk 2 the baby, just 2 make myself feel better, i did go thru a diff addiction with my first child altho these wasnt legal or prescribed, a cocktail of cocaine and amphetimanes. altho i kicked that full on CT ! yayy go me lol
    i am saying this simply bcuz i dont want my post being took the wrong way and i am no position 2 judge others
    reading and realising i am in fact an addict is actually upsetting , i feel in a weird place right now, mainly bcuz i had no pain 2 warrant me takin "painkilers" i am so ashamed im glad no1 knws about this tbh
    cant wait 2 be free and me
    once again
    gemmz xxx

i am having awful mood swings tonight, hot bath and bed is what i need then tomorrow i can face this without feeling this feeling. i cant even explain it, i am on an awful negative trip atm and it may be due 2 the anti-ds being stopped.
    i will post tomorrow with a fresh face and a hot tea 4 u all LOL
    is it normal 2 think like this after admitting u have a prob? i know none of u are judging me or looking down on me ( i am postive it the lack of anti-ds) i feel like i want 2 crawl up and hide? anyways b4 i go gettin all emotional i will bid u all goodnight. take care, stay strong and have sweets dreams. u are all my inspiration and even in this short time i look 2 ur success as role models 4 myself
    lots of love and thanks
    gem xx

i am having awful mood swings tonight, hot bath and bed is what i need then tomorrow i can face this without feeling this feeling. i cant even explain it, i am on an awful negative trip atm and it may be due 2 the anti-ds being stopped.
    i will post tomorrow with a fresh face and a hot tea 4 u all LOL
    is it normal 2 think like this after admitting u have a prob? i know none of u are judging me or looking down on me ( i am postive it the lack of anti-ds) i feel like i want 2 crawl up and hide? anyways b4 i go gettin all emotional i will bid u all goodnight. take care, stay strong and have sweets dreams. u are all my inspiration and even in this short time i look 2 ur success as role models 4 myself
    lots of love and thanks
    gem xx
    Hi Gem,

Hon, I am just online for a moment, checking the weather, but saw this update in my email, and wanted to respond. Your emotions right now are bound to be all over the place - changing meds, early pregnancy - and even more so, having 'fessed up to something that we, as addicts, keep sooo closely guarded as a secret.

We all feel a lot of shame and guilt about what we've done - in time, those feelings will lessen, and you'll learn how to forgive yourself. That comes in the recovery process. I'm many years into this recovery world (it'll be 9 years in on September 1), and the guilt is long gone. What remains for me is a lot of gratitude for this second chance at life. (My drug addiction, it appears, was far more advanced than yours.) I'm passionate about recovery; I went back to school and now work in a long-term treatment center for substance abuse. So there's a bright future ahead for you, I promise. I remember being in your shoes like it was yesterday; that's why it means so much to me to reach out a hand to help the next person struggling with this disease. Others were put in my path to give me hope; I'm just paying it forward.

As for the time-released pills, please explain which ones you're referring to. I believe you said you took 3-10 of the codeine a day, right? So I should think if you could keep it down at that "3" level, that's a good start. I don't know if I'm confusing the codeine with the tramadol, though!

You are by no means a "bad" person - what you have is an illness, and it's called addiction. It really truly is a disease, not a sign of character weakness or lack of values. Sleep well, know that you're headed on the right track. You never meant for this to happen, and we know this.

I'll try to write again in the morning. I just wanted to you to hear a little encouragement before you go to sleep.

God bless,
    Ruth
    gemzybaby likes this.

Hi Gem,

Hon, I am just online for a moment, checking the weather, but saw this update in my email, and wanted to respond. Your emotions right now are bound to be all over the place - changing meds, early pregnancy - and even more so, having 'fessed up to something that we, as addicts, keep sooo closely guarded as a secret.

We all feel a lot of shame and guilt about what we've done - in time, those feelings will lessen, and you'll learn how to forgive yourself. That comes in the recovery process. I'm many years into this recovery world (it'll be 9 years in on September 1), and the guilt is long gone. What remains for me is a lot of gratitude for this second chance at life. (My drug addiction, it appears, was far more advanced than yours.) I'm passionate about recovery; I went back to school and now work in a long-term treatment center for substance abuse. So there's a bright future ahead for you, I promise. I remember being in your shoes like it was yesterday; that's why it means so much to me to reach out a hand to help the next person struggling with this disease. Others were put in my path to give me hope; I'm just paying it forward.

As for the time-released pills, please explain which ones you're referring to. I believe you said you took 3-10 of the codeine a day, right? So I should think if you could keep it down at that "3" level, that's a good start. I don't know if I'm confusing the codeine with the tramadol, though!

You are by no means a "bad" person - what you have is an illness, and it's called addiction. It really truly is a disease, not a sign of character weakness or lack of values. Sleep well, know that you're headed on the right track. You never meant for this to happen, and we know this.

I'll try to write again in the morning. I just wanted to you to hear a little encouragement before you go to sleep.

God bless,
    Ruth
    morning ruth
    i am feeling better this morning , thankyou for ur positive words
    the cocodamol (3-10) have been stopped, i stopped taking these about 8-9 days ago and dont seem 2 feel any WD?
    the prolonged release are the tramadol (which is my concern)
    i was taking the cocodamol as i had convinced myself they helped the trams works but have stopped as the last time i took them, in the evening i was awfully sick, vomiting and all, i think maybe i had taken 2 many. but it scared me so i literally stopped.

im happy 2 hear of ur 9 years, well done hun , thats amazing
    i have a small home business that lately tbh i just dont seem 2 b interested in its successful and recently i was asked 2 b a sponser (wont go in2 detail) lately i dont seem 2 have the love for it, i have changed so much over this year. i stay indoors quite alot as i kinda get frustrated and paniky outside and i think its the amount of tramadol in me?
    weekends are fine i use them 2 take the kids out etc as i have my OH here 2 help.

i have started eating a lot more than i used 2 as i wud normally replace fod with pills and coffee , on the days where i may not have enuff pills my energy levels wud b zapped and i wud barely b able to walk around, not good when u have 3 young 1s.
    so as well as having 2 eat 4 baby, i am getting my body used 2 food again so when i do cut the pills bak i hopefully wont feel as weak.

so today i have had 1 100mg tramadol with coffee. just 1 cup.
    i will be fine untill about 5pm as the prolonged release last a while

again i cant thank you enough for what u say, and i am very grateful 2 have u here by my side
    i know i seem quite me,me,me atm but i have so much 2 say and this is new, its like the lid has popped off the jack-in-a-box LOL
    i shall be calling my gp at 9.30 to see if he can chat and i will let u know the outcome

thanks again ruth

gem xx

LOL please ignore my many a typo as i have long nails and type 2 quick :/
    a habit formed from selling online lol
    i hope u make sense of my words LOL
    also my grammer is awful, maybe i need 2 go bak 2 school LOL

morning ruth
    i am feeling better this morning , thankyou for ur positive words
    the cocodamol (3-10) have been stopped, i stopped taking these about 8-9 days ago and dont seem 2 feel any WD?
    the prolonged release are the tramadol (which is my concern)
    i was taking the cocodamol as i had convinced myself they helped the trams works but have stopped as the last time i took them, in the evening i was awfully sick, vomiting and all, i think maybe i had taken 2 many. but it scared me so i literally stopped.

im happy 2 hear of ur 9 years, well done hun , thats amazing
    i have a small home business that lately tbh i just dont seem 2 b interested in its successful and recently i was asked 2 b a sponser (wont go in2 detail) lately i dont seem 2 have the love for it, i have changed so much over this year. i stay indoors quite alot as i kinda get frustrated and paniky outside and i think its the amount of tramadol in me?
    weekends are fine i use them 2 take the kids out etc as i have my OH here 2 help.

i have started eating a lot more than i used 2 as i wud normally replace fod with pills and coffee , on the days where i may not have enuff pills my energy levels wud b zapped and i wud barely b able to walk around, not good when u have 3 young 1s.
    so as well as having 2 eat 4 baby, i am getting my body used 2 food again so when i do cut the pills bak i hopefully wont feel as weak.

so today i have had 1 100mg tramadol with coffee. just 1 cup.
    i will be fine untill about 5pm as the prolonged release last a while

again i cant thank you enough for what u say, and i am very grateful 2 have u here by my side
    i know i seem quite me,me,me atm but i have so much 2 say and this is new, its like the lid has popped off the jack-in-a-box LOL
    i shall be calling my gp at 9.30 to see if he can chat and i will let u know the outcome

thanks again ruth

gem xx
    Dear gem,

Oh ok, I understand now. I'm surprised you had no w/d from the codeine, but maybe the tramadol helped with that.

Time-released pills are a bit of a challenge. I would not open them to split them, unless instructed to by your doctor. If you can stay with one each morning, and one in the late afternoon/evening for now, then you can see what your doctor suggests. It may help for him/her to switch you out of the time-released type and to regular (immediate release) pills, to be able to taper you off. I do not believe there is a 50mg time-released tramadol here (U.S.), but maybe there is in your area.

I'm trying to understand your text-type lingo (lol) - did you say you have support from your hubby? (I didn't know what OH is!) I hope so, as some support close to home will make a huge difference. If he is there and knows about the tramadols, it would help tremendously to have him dispense the pills to you, rather than hold onto them yourself. We just can't completely trust ourselves to taper down. Our disease plays mind games with us, conjuring up all sorts of symptoms to justify "just one more pill."

The lack of interest in things that used to interest you could be some depression or lethargy which is common from the use of the codeine and/or tramadol. These drugs will do that, and it may continue to be a problem for a short time after you stop. But the good news is, it truly is "short term pain for long term gain." Besides, stopping the antidepressant abruptly will cause depression symptoms. How long ago did you do that? Generally ADs should be tapered down before stopping, to lessen the rebound effects. If it was very recent, I would suggest you try a low dose for a while, then taper down to stop. Again, ask your doctor.

Let us know what the doc has to say - hope you're able to reach him by phone.

God bless,
    Ruth

lmc8883 is offline Junior Member

You need to stop taking the Tramadol ASAP. I had two miscarriages because of tramadol. It says right in the side effects that it is not recommended to take that drug while pregnant. Please, please stop taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by lmc8883 View Post
    You need to stop taking the Tramadol ASAP. I had two miscarriages because of tramadol. It says right in the side effects that it is not recommended to take that drug while pregnant. Please, please stop taking it.
    Dear lmc,

As you can read, Gem is going to stop the tramadol. There is a huge risk of miscarriage if she stops too abruptly and has a seizure. So it's best to proceed slowly, and under medical supervision. If you read through the thread, you can see that we're talking about a proper taper, and Gem plans to see her doctor as soon as possible.

My heart goes out to you for your losses, lmc.

God bless,
    Ruth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast