Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By shrimpboat 1942
  • 2 Post By Anonymous
Please help I need advice
    donewiththis is offline New Member

Default Please help I need advice

I've done a search but it seems like every thread on the subject gets highjacked and there is never anyone who answers. I have searching for someone locally to talk to but in this town if you don't check into rehab, no one will give you any advice. I got on prescription oxycontin about a year ago for chronic back pain. As my body got used to each dosage the doctor would increase it to keep me out of withdrawal. Before you know it, I was on 140 mg oxy with another 30 of hydrocodone and I knew it was becoming a problem. I tried to go cold turkey but I was unsuccessful so I tried tapering. That just kept me sick. So I got a script for methadone but since that stuff scares me I tapered that off very fast. So now I have been off the oxy and hydrocodone for 2 full months. I have been off the methadone for one month (that I only took small dosage of and tapered over one month). Now, one month clean I'm sicker than ever. My gut hurts all the time and I have insomnia really bad. The doctor had given me some clonazepam and I've used that but it helps very little and I don't want another addiction. The other thing I wonder about using other drugs is if that drug doesn't just delay your recovery.
    So here's my question: Is there an end to the suffering? I see a lot of you saying you are better after a couple weeks. I feel worse now than I did before and I'm a month clean. I'm not mentally addicted. I have a whole bottle of oxy sitting here and 7 methadone 5mg pills here and I don't have any desire to take any. I'm physically dependent and I can't seem to find any answers as to how long the suffering goes on. Is it years? Months? I'm wearing out trying to cope with withdrawal illness, back pain, work, and family. When does it start to get better?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

The back pain (unless it's from an injury), anxiety, etc, are normal symptoms for when someone stops all the drugs you've just listed. Your body is trying to get well.

The best medication / therapy for getting better is exercise. You don't have to run five miles but while you were on the oxy, methadone, etc, your body's natural endorphine production just shut down totally as all of your brain receptors producing endorphines stopped working at all. Endorphines are kind of like the body's natural opiates, they help with an overall feeling of well-being.

I know when you stop using drugs you don't feel like working out. But if you start at trying to walk around the block and progress from there you will start feeling better I guarantee as long you don't use anymore drugs. Push yourself as much as your body will allow and keep increasing what you do until you feel better. This is the best thing there is for pulling out of the after-detox blues I promise you. Hope that helps and makes sense. I know it will help you if you follow through with action. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Robert, I want to thank you for the reply. I'm so sick today I almost broke down and took a 5mg pill of methadone and maybe another one later because I know 10mg will greatly reduce my symtoms. I'm wondering if I should go back on methadone and taper really slow. I'm curl up in a ball kind of sick. Seems like after a month clean I should be doing better.
    I resisted the methadone pill and took a couple imonium. I don't know. I have to work this evening and it's going to be an awful long 10 hour work shift the way I feel. I think I did this whole thing wrong but I was following Drs advice. I see now that my MD does not have a good understanding of narcotics and withdrawal problems. He is a good man though. He really tries hard and he really cares. It just was not his field of expertise. I should not have let him lead me down this path and give me so much oxy. I should have been smarter but he has a phd and I have a hs diploma. Quite a difference.
    I've been clean a month and I don't want to break down now and start taking methadone again but I'm starting to wonder how much more I can take. I do take walks but likely not enough. I'll start trying to do more. Man, I need some relief from the gut pain and I need some sleep. My back pain is from injury by the way but I'd rather deal with back pain than drug addiction. I'm finding that dealing with both is somewhat of a problem though.
    Last edited by donewiththis; 10-04-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Don't go back to that nasty methadone after a month. It lingers a terribly long time and you never should have been put on it to get clean. That was a dumb thing for the dr to have you do. You should flush the goofy things down the toilet. You have a month behind you off them, you don't need them, they can only cause you more grief. They are as good as poison for you. They are a viable medication for some people but it wasn't the right thing for you and there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for you to even have them in your possession. If you'll do what I said I promise you'll pull out of this. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Don't go back to that nasty methadone after a month. It lingers a terribly long time and you never should have been put on it to get clean. That was a dumb thing for the dr to have you do. You should flush the goofy things down the toilet. You have a month behind you off them, you don't need them, they can only cause you more grief. They are as good as poison for you. They are a viable medication for some people but it wasn't the right thing for you and there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for you to even have them in your possession. If you'll do what I said I promise you'll pull out of this. God bless.
    Ok, wow. Well that answers my thoughts on taking some methadone. I think I'll take your advice and not break down and take them. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow just to see if he has any thoughts on lack of sleep. I hear people using things like lunesta. Again, I don't know. I'm new to this withdrawal stuff. All I know is that I have a lot better appreciation for those who suffer from addictions and have trouble staying clean. Nothing like learning from experience.

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Welcome Done,

I wrote a long post to you earlier today right about the same time Robert posted here and then promptly lost it and didn't have the time right then to retype it. Amazingly enough, I just did the same darn thing! This is my 3rd attempt at getting you this post. In staying clean, it appears I've found the skill of persistence!

Of course, Robert has given you good sound advice. I'm glad he found you and that you found us. I promise, that in itself is a step in the right direction.

There are things to help with your energy during the day and to help sleep at night that are not addictive...both with a script and over the counter. A good place to start is a health food store. Ask a salesperson and they'll help you find something. There are also non-addcitive sleeping pills. I wouldn't even suggest this if you even remotely doubt that you are anything but physically dependent. I am an addict and I would even abuse those. That's how that goes. I find myself abusing Tylenol! The difference is that I recognize it. A very good thing.

One thing to consider, once your body and mind get thru the worst of this, you might ask your doctor to re-evaluate your injury, pain, and treatment plan asking him/her to suggest things for the pain that are not addictive. Start from square one just leave out the pain pills this time. Once your body stops demanding the opiates, it will respond to the over the counter stuff like Advil or Aleve. I used enough pain pills to put down a moderately sized elephant and when the folks on this forum told me that an over the counter pill like Tylenol would help me, I seriously rolled my eyes. Lo and behold it was true. Not right away but once you're able to sort thru what hurts from withdrawing and what hurts and how badly from your injury.

This recovery stuff is damn hard. I was a long term, heavy user/abuser. I was never able to taper (gobble, gobble). I survived cold turkey more times than I can remember and then quickly started the cycle over and over. So, what's different this time? Me. I discovered that I can be a very stubborn individual. Who knew? Case in point--true story: At around day 4 of cold turkey, my supplier showed up at my front door "to check on me" because he hadn't heard from me for a few days. I sent him packing, limped back to bed and cried. Not once did I consider calling him back to say I'd changed my mind. Aside from the RLS, my disturbed sleep pattern or better said, the almost total lack of sleep without an end in sight was what lasted the longest. But sleep did return. Bit by bit. Little by little. I refused to let it frustrate me. If I slept an hour and that was it, well that was it. I'd find an old movie, turn on the light and read. Clean the bathroom. Anything but lay in bed, toss and turn and remind myself that I'd only slept an hour. Anything but watch the clock tick away getting closer to being the time that I had to get up and go to work. I sort of find it an amazing thing that I was able to go that long on so little sleep. During the day, it honestly didn't affect me that much. Coffee helped...alot..but I suppose in retrospect may have added to my inability to sleep at night. Who knows. Sometimes we do what we have to do, right? After so many years of using, I really didn't remember how many hours of sleep I needed. I know now that 5 or 6 hours a night is what I can expect and I'm good with that. I've learned to love to get up really early when it's quiet. That's my time.

I so wish I could describe where I had to be in my head to get thru this. So cliche, but so true...one day at a time. I am still making that promise to myself every morning.

Your life and your happiness is in front of you. DON'T look back. Don't question the past. There's a reason that we say it's behind us. You have come entirely too far now so just keep on the right path. It will get better. For those of us who were stubborn enough not to cave in, we can attest to that but only time will give you your own proof. You are strong and stubborn and you alone have control over this. There isn't much in life that we can make that statement about.

Keep posting. Keep reading. If for no other reason, because you've got your peeps here to support you and it passes the time, the greatest healer of all.

Peace,

Cat
    Littln12 and luvy298 like this.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

YAY!!! Third time is a charm.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Default Me too.

Donewiththis
    If you would look at my thread (Too little subutex?) you'll see that I too feel awful at 26 days off opiates, and doctors are very little help. Many experienced clean people say it may take months, not years to feel better. I haven't slept without chemical aid since July 19, and many folks say that's the last thing to right itself.
    But, I'm making progress, just not according to my wishes. Everyone says it gets better--some of us just have a more severe, prolonged withdrawal.
    The body has fierce healing powers if we don't interfere--but like a garden, it grows at its own rate,we can't will it to recover faster. As long as the weed opiate is out of there, it will recover.
    Don't lose hope, there's nothing you're doing wrong. Just keep on tending your garden.

Your fellow traveler,

Shrimpboat
    luvy298 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

hey done. ive come off methadone. twice now. once using subs, more recently.
    and a few years ago. i tapered down. pretty badly actually but i got to where you are now...

dont use any methadone. it will put you back.... you are almost at the stage you will feel a little better. i can tell you its about 8 weeks, a loong time ay. most people have no idea what we go thru to get clean... but you are nearly over the worst, i know the lethargy, the lack of sleep, energy, motivation, i know how you feel mate. please dont take any more methadone.

stick with it, its soo worth it. i have been off subs since dec last year. and its awesome not to be chained to an opiate of some sort or another.

hang in there
    Catrina and shrimpboat 1942 like this.