Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By percostop
  • 2 Post By percostop
  • 2 Post By surfdog
Percocet - My journey getting clean
    percostop is offline New Member

Default Percocet - My journey getting clean

There was once a time I didn't even know what the heck vicodin even was. My ex-boyfriend introduced this in my life and I got hooked. The euphoria I felt was like no other. As time went by, we started dabbling in percocets, an enemy of mine if there ever was one. The vics didn't do it for us any more. We would take about 3-4 each at night every night for a duration of 6 years. I would feel terrible as the day stretched long and became lazy. I didn't realize everyday I experienced minor withdrawal symptoms because we would only take them at night. Towards the end of our relationship, I started abusing the drug even more, stealing about 7 extra to get me through the day. Our relationship ended and shortly after I was in an accident resulting in 2 surgeries. I decided to wean myself off the newly prescribed percs after I recovered. I did so and stayed clean for about 6 months.

So for about a month and half I have been taking about 7 a day. I knew I had to stop so this time I went cold turkey. I was so ashamed I went down that path again, but a month and a half sure beats 6 years. Since I stopped abruptly, I feel ten times more withdrawal symptons than when I weened off the first time around.

I feel: intense pains, mostly in my back and neck. Cold sweets, the worst kind. I can't force food down, and can't sleep due to uncomfortability. Today is day 4 and I feel as though I developed a fever. What am I in for guys? Can someone please tell me to keep strong, that it gets better? Since I didn't feel this way the first time around, I am getting so nervous as to what comes next... and if this pain will ever stop? I can say I feel so much better than the first 2 days, but I still feel TERRIBLE.

Hey, haven't heard back from anyone but I thought I should update on my progress anyways, since I know how much joy it brought me when I would read positive posts from others.

So, I'm on day 5 of quitting percs cold turkey.

HOW I FEEL NOW:
    Cold sweats pretty much gone although they sneak up randomly here and there (not to jinx it).
    Still feel quesy and hardly eating, although my stomach grumbles, I can't stomach a real meal, just crackers and stuff.
    Did not sleep well at all, shakes and restless legs.
    Started the day feeling super weak, but as the day progressed, I began to feel much better.
    Severe back pains and neck spasms are gone!! Now I'm just a little sore, nothing I can't handle.

Today was the first day I was able to spend a full productive day on responsibilities and even some socializing. It felt great to do so because when I was going for the first few days of withdrawal, I was scared I wouldn't get back to normal.

Really looking forward to see how I feel tomorrow, since I feel better and better each day.

Keep motivated everyone. Bless every soul trying to get back on track!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    HopefulnHouston likes this.

Hi perc, just read your posts and wanted to tell you to hang in there, it will get better. One of the things that really seemed to help me was drinking lots and lots of water, and spending lots of time either soaking or taking hot showers. I was lucky and able to taper down so my wd wasn't that bad. Hate to think of you suffering through ct, but we gotta do what we gotta do. You sound determined to get clean and I just know you will make it. I am at day 11, in the double digits now!! My physical wd symptoms are few and far between and very mild now, just have to stay strong mentally so that I never take another of those pills, for any reason, ever.

Will look for your posts, so let us know how you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulnHouston View Post
    Hi perc, just read your posts and wanted to tell you to hang in there, it will get better. One of the things that really seemed to help me was drinking lots and lots of water, and spending lots of time either soaking or taking hot showers. I was lucky and able to taper down so my wd wasn't that bad. Hate to think of you suffering through ct, but we gotta do what we gotta do. You sound determined to get clean and I just know you will make it. I am at day 11, in the double digits now!! My physical wd symptoms are few and far between and very mild now, just have to stay strong mentally so that I never take another of those pills, for any reason, ever.

Will look for your posts, so let us know how you are doing!
    Hey Houston! Thanks so much for the feedback, hearing from others is helpful. I am thinking of going to some NA Meetings, think it would do me some good.

I am delighted to say that I finally slept last night! It wasn't the most blissfull sleep, but it's a start. I don't feel like a zombie any more since I got some rest. Not feeling the cold sweats, body is a little sore, but overall I'm even better than yesterday, and I haven't even started my day yet!
    HopefulnHouston and Sundwn like this.

Yes that first REAL sleep is so good, even if not enough. Hope you continue to feel great, I had a couple of really good days then a day of not so great, but even the not so great ones feel better than the days I had while taking pills. Every day was pretty much the same then, I was zombified on pills. Only 12 days out and I am already shocked and saddened at how I let them take over my life, I was a different person. I am so happy to be getting myself back. Going away for the weekend, no phones, no internet, be back Monday, hang in there!!!

Have you checked out the Need to Talk forum? Seems like there is alot more activity there.

Mr_Dean is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by percostop View Post
    Hey Houston! Thanks so much for the feedback, hearing from others is helpful. I am thinking of going to some NA Meetings, think it would do me some good.

I am delighted to say that I finally slept last night! It wasn't the most blissfull sleep, but it's a start. I don't feel like a zombie any more since I got some rest. Not feeling the cold sweats, body is a little sore, but overall I'm even better than yesterday, and I haven't even started my day yet!
    Hey.. You're not alone.. Stay strong.. but please don't try NA.. I can't say from experience but I have spoken to a few people that say NA is a place to get easy access to more stuff. I'm from NY.. Not sure where you are from but That's what I've heard over here.. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Mr_Dean

Try using this place as your NA.. That's what I'm doing.. I'm only on day two of no pills.. But I find comfort in this blog..

surfdog is offline Senior Member

There will be slugs where ever you go, have to avoid them. They will not be in the meeting, If NA doesn't work try AA alcohol is drug in the same class as opiates. Don't form an opinion based on what others say there are countless people on here that 12 step meetings saved their life me being one of them. If you are not going to go please refrain from telling others to stay away. At this point you don't have a clue what the meetings are all about.And from your post still trying to decide whether to get clean or not. Texting your dealer is not a good way to get clean. Not being critical just straight up. Can't get water out of a dry well at least have some water there before telling others to stay away Surfdog

Wow.. Powerful Words.. I didn't mean anything by it and You are right.. I do apologize if it seemed that way. Thanks surfdog.

I was kind of referring to my personal situation.. I haven't told my wife nor do I plan on telling her.. She's not the understanding type. If I were able to share with her without the reprecussions.. I would have joined N/A a long time ago.. I'm just sharing my journey.. I know I'm far from out of the woods right now.. Extremely far.. Again.. My apologies if I came off like that..

Dean the key is to keep an open mind, that was nothing personal and willing to do whatever I can to help. Most areas have noon meetings also. That is your choice to go or not go. Most of us find we just thought we were hiding our addictions, Only to find everyone knew anyway. Everyone in 37 states and at least 3 3rd world countries new before I did. lol
    I do grasp the part about understanding. The first family session my wife told the therapist "talk I don't want to talk, I want to choke the SOB until his damn eyes bug out"LOL Here for you man God Bless Surfdog
    Sundwn and Mr_Dean like this.

Thank you surfdog.. I truly appreciate that.

Want and willing to help any way I can, some times tact is not one of my greater attributes. but I mean nothing personal by it. This is one of those disease that denial actually becomes greater when we decide to face it. We don't and never did want to act the way we were when using. Here for you man God Bless Surfdog