Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Oxycodone Addiction: 30-40 mg. per day. Need advice.
    Jupiter55 is offline Junior Member

Default Oxycodone Addiction: 30-40 mg. per day. Need advice.

Hello,

I have been reading posts in this forum for a few months now and they have already been so helpful. I have read so many kind, knowledgeable and caring responses from the people here and that is why I have finally decided to post my story and to ask for help.

It was recently the two year anniversary of an emergency spine surgery that I had to help with a ruptured disc in my spine. The weeks leading up to my surgery were the most intense pain I have ever experienced. The medicine does not even touch the pain, but I was lucky to have relief after my surgery.

I was taking 90 mg. of oxycodone per day after my surgery, but quickly cut that down to about 40 mg. and was able to quit pretty easily after a couple weeks.

It wasn't until 8 months later when I reinjured my back that I started taking pain pills again. I had a prescription from my doctor but I also had access to more medicine from a family member. Long story short I started taking the pills more frequently, but not all the time.

It has been about 4 months now that I have taken the pills everyday. I take oxycodone in the evening, because it used to help me sleep and not wake up in pain, but I also started taking it in the afternoon to help me exercise without pain. I know there is a psychological component to my issue, because I have had some very hard times with my family in the last year and the pills have helped me to escape some of the emotional pain related to that.

I have tried to taper myself down from the pills with the help of a friend, and I have been successful in getting down to a very low dose (5 mg. per day) but then I have gone back to taking more. The average amount that I have taken in the last 4 months is probably 15 mg. per day but some nights recently I have taken as much as 85 mg. I have averaged about 30 mg. per day in the last month. I have had trouble tapering because I don't have a prescription anymore and it is hard to plan ahead. I have started paying for the pills sometimes.

I need help. My life is falling apart. I have a great job and my performance at work is suffering. I have an incredibly hard time waking up for work and I have been late a lot recently. I am throwing money away and becoming distant from my friends. I can't focus very well at work. I am consumed by thougts of this drug. When can I take it today? When can I get more? Telling myself over and over again that I need to stop and beating myself up. I have gained weight. I am terrified of my boyfriend discovering my problem. He is very against pain medicine and he has many friends who have destroyed their lives smoking pills and abusing this drug. He believes that this drug changes your brain and that you cannot move beyond the addiction. I am terrified that he is right. I love him more than anything and I don't want to lose him. I terrify myself thinking, what if I get pregnant and am addicted to pills? What would I do then? I want my life back. I am very scared of the withdrawals and also of the pain that will definitely come back when I am off of the pills, but I am willing to experience the pain just to be free from this drug.

I have a doctor's appointment this week and I wonder if I should talk to her about my problem and whether I should look into suboxone? I know that the amount I take seems small to many people who may take the pills throughout the day, but I know that I have a problem and need to stop in whatever way I can. I could also talk to my doctor about a tapering program. I am concerned about telling her my issue and that she will think I am drug seeking because I have a problem but have not had a prescription in a while. My friend has agreed to help me with a taper regime and I also have some anti-anxiety medicine to help me with the withdrawals. I don't want to go cold turkey. I am too scared and would rather try to avoid missing a lot of work if possible.

I am lost and could use some advice. Thank you for your help and for being on this site to support myself and other people out there who are suffering. Any advice would mean so much. I cannot continue my life as an addict. Addiction tore my family apart and I can't believe that I have allowed myself to get to this place where I could hurt the people I love with my problem.

Hi, I'm just giving an update. I hope to hear from someone soon. I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow and looking for some advice about whether I should try suboxone or talk to her about tapering or even whether I should talk to her at all. Thanks Jupiter

Wow. reading your story seriously gave me chills, you are ME literally 6 days ago! I started taking the percs from a oral surgery, fell in love with them, then easily got off them...then had a family friend who would hook me up a few months later. Holy moly.
    If I were you, >> talk to your doctor about it. Let them know you're seriously wanting to quit and are working on a taper plan but don't have enough to do it. DO NOT get on subs..you're on such a low dose of the percs that I really don't think you would need that. A very good person on this forum that walked me through everything told me "it would be like hitting a mosquito with a sledgehammer!" thats not what you want..Its much stronger, and for people who need to get off high doses of opiates. Then once you're ready to be off that, you'll have to taper off that all over again..its just not worth it. Especially since you have so much going for you!
    Exactly how many pills do you have left? Maybe you can possibly do a quicker taper and then jump off like I did, and not even worry about having to get a prescription from your dr. Because if you ask for a prescription, they're more then likely going to give you a full one, and you might find yourself doing exactly what you just admitted to doing....taking more than you need to. Its a vicious cycle that I went through plenty of times.. My pills would be low and >> tell myself "okay thats it these are going to be my last ones until I run out!" then a few days later I get the phone call asking if I need more, and guess who didn't say no? Boom! Full refill,and back to square one.
    So if you REALLY want this, you really have to discipline yourself. If you decide to do a quick taper or go c/t the worst of it is over in a few days. Im coming in on the end of day 5 and the worst of it is over. I was able to do it with the help of some pretty amazing people on this forum who are more than willing to help you out and talk you through this. Hope my story was able to help you out somewhat! Good luck, get back to me when you can.
    Jupiter55 likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Jupiter: What Amber said. Look at the Thomas Recipe:

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

Also read Amber's thread. I agree totally that you should talk to your doctor. One thing about tapering and having your friend hold your pills: You've done that and then gone on to take more than what you were supposed to. Do you think you could be disciplined enough to do a taper? Another problem with tapering is that you will have to jump at some point. You are not really on a very high dose, although at any level addiction is serious business. No one here is discounting your feelings or the seriousness of your intentions. Getting clean is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Jupiter55 likes this.

Leeanne15 is offline Junior Member

Jupiter,
    I know what you're feeling right now and it's horrible. I was on lorcet 10s for a little over 10 years.
    I came here for help after reading for a few months. I was taking 4-7 everyday. It was my life. Couldn't go anywhere if I didn't have enough to take with me. Would not go on vacations until I had plenty. That sucks!!
    I really thought hard about subs. But after doing a lot of research on here I decided to do it cold turkey. I was so scared but wanted it so badly. It was hard don't get me wrong but it is doable. One day at a time..
    Whatever you choose to do is up to you but just wanted to tell you that ct is possible. You're gonna have to Ed from subs as well and I didn't want to go through withdrawals twice.
    We are here for you no matter what! Keep us updated!
    Jupiter55 likes this.

Just wanted to add:
    I'm almost four months clean and feel great. I still have my off days where I don't feel like doing anything but I am clean and that's all that matters. You do start feeling again and that's something I thought would never happen. You can do this, and it is better on the other side. It truly is.
    Jupiter55 likes this.

saggle is offline New Member

Hey Jupiter, I switched to subs after a 90+ mg a day oxy habit, then couldn't get off the subs for almost 4 years. I wish I had NEVER started the subs, you should just bite the bullet, do a quick taper, and don't look back. BTW I haven't had a sub dose in about 6 weeks....I firmly believe now that the key to getting past any of this is HARD exercise, low sugar diet, and no alcohol. Anyway, please try not to start the sub treatment, it's appropriate in a lot of addicts situations but I don't think it is in yours.
    Jupiter55 likes this.

Thank you all so much for your replies: Amber, iloerose, Leeanne, saggle. They all mean so much to me right now. I can't tell you how much. I am sitting here today stressing about my doctor's appointment this afternoon. I really appreciate the advice. I am not going to even mention the subs and I think you are all absolutely right that I don't need to get myself into an even worse situation of w/d s. Amber - To answer your question from above, I only have 15 mg. left today. Not nearly enough for a taper I think. I definitely agree with you and I would have a hard time saying no to a full prescription, but I the doctor that I'm seeing today won't prescribe anything in large amounts, so I think I'll be okay. It will mainly be staying away from the people in my life who want to give me the meds. I know that will be the biggest temptation. Amber, your thread has been so helpful to me and we really do have so much in common! I appreciate you taking the time to write to me. You are doing so awesome and you are on day 5! Wow! Seriously, you should feel so proud of yourself. I want to be able to write to you and tell you I'm in the same place.
    iloerose - You make a very good point about the taper plan. Last time I had a friend hold my medicine, but then I kept having to get more to make the successful taper. I would take more before I gave her what I had. I know that is terrible. This time I'm really hoping to have the full amount for a taper and give my friend all of the medicine. I would just like to get down to a smaller dose before I leap. I think I can do that, but if I can't, I will go c/t.
    I am so ready to be done! I am losing myself to these stupid pills. They don't even help me sleep anymore or exercise. I just feel like garbage most of the time and anxious. I am so nervous about the flood of anxiety that I will feel when I jump off these things. I will post again tonight after my doctor's appointment. Thank you all again so much for your help with this.

Hi, It's me again. My appointment is in a couple of hours and I'm really stressing about what to say to my doctor. I'm just worried about her reaction and whether she will trust me when I tell her that I want to quit taking pain medicine. I don't want to be labeled as an addict or put on some list. Any advice? I'm just very worried and I have not told anyone about my problem aside from my best friend.

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter55 View Post
    Hi, It's me again. My appointment is in a couple of hours and I'm really stressing about what to say to my doctor. I'm just worried about her reaction and whether she will trust me when I tell her that I want to quit taking pain medicine. I don't want to be labeled as an addict or put on some list. Any advice? I'm just very worried and I have not told anyone about my problem aside from my best friend.
    tell ur doc the truth that u want to get off all drugs. the docs will usually go out of their way to help if ur honest with them and up front about ur plans. let us know how ur appt goes and we'll go from there. u don't need the subs like the others have said.

tapering takes too much willpower and if u have pills around they are so difficult to leave alone and not take. i say just get it over with like amber did and do everything she has done.

like anyone that wants to end the drug life u have to WANT IT bad enough or it doesn't happen. each day addicted and taking pills is another that u could be spending enjoying a good clean life.

post after ur appt and let us know how it went.
    AmberNeedsHelp likes this.

Thank you Kikker! I will post after my appointment. No subs and I'm starting to think you're right about c/t...
    - J.

Hey Jupiter,
    How did your doctors appointment go this afternoon?

Hi Leeanne, Thanks for checking in with me. It's very late where I am, about 1 a.m. It was a tough day. I showed up to my appointment today and there was a scheduling mix-up, so I had no appointment. Needless to say, I was near to tears when I heard that. I had really been stressing all day and could not concentrate at work. Thankfully I was able to reschedule for tomorrow afternoon...well today I guess. I tried to keep myself very busy to avoid thinking about how I didn't have many pills left and the temptation to look for more. I am feeling anxious and not very tired but I stuck with what I had left and split it into 2 doses. I think tomorrow will be tough. I'll check in tomorrow after my second attempt with the doctor. Good night and sorry for such a late post, but I have a feeling there will be many more late nights in the near future.

Hey Jupiter: I Know it's rough, but you'll get through this! The decision to quit isn't easy and we scare ourselves so badly. Our minds play games with us, making us believe we can't live without the drugs. The temptations are very great to just do what we always did. I wish you the best of luck. The best thing you can do is to tell your doctor, get the things for the Thomas Recipe and make yourself comfortable.

Peace

Iloerose
    Jupiter55 likes this.

Riveratt12 is offline New Member

Default what I did to get off years of horrible painpill dependence

Hello, I feel for you so much, from around 2000 until 2009 I was on several types of medication, as I had a motorcycle accident in 1981 when I was 17 and nearly lost my left leg. I did fairly well over the years until around the 90s not to mention had 3 lower back surgeries for hern. discs. I lived in N.C. at that time, and I am not a person who wants to live on disability, so I worked as an industrial tech. for several years, and was told by my family doc that my ankle was gone, and he could not believe what it looked like on x-ray. Well, he helped as much as he thought he could, and ended up sending me to pain mgt. the docs were right to the point about what meds I could take, and started me on oxy, and percs for breakthrough, and I did this for a couple years, and mentioned methadone, so they started me on 20mg a day, and after a while when I need moved up, they refused, so I went to another pain clinic....that was the start of my hell....The doc was a great person, as was his staff, he doubled my methadone to 40mg a day and added perc 10/325 6 times a day. Anytime I needed moved up on meds, no problem, he did it, so by the year 2008 I was on 12- 10mg methadone, 6-15mg roxys and 3-10mg valium a day. I wanted to taper off the methadone in dec 2008 and I went down to 3 methadone a day and quit the pain clinic. I thought I was strong enough to do this, and all the other meds were easy except for the methadone. It is a horrible narcotic and actually not that great of a pain reliever. I lost alot of years and a marriage, which was for the best, as she was seeing the same doc and getting more meds than me, we split in 2006 due to other problems. I tried to kick the methadone and it was pure hell, even from 30 mgs a day, so I decided to try suboxone. It made me feel like a new person and give me a whole new perspective on life, but the doc said he would have to taper me off of it, and I was tired of everything and went cold turkey, I had the most horrible withdrawls, sleepless nights, and stomach and digestive problems, not to mention, had to keep a fulltime job. I started in Jan 2009 and went through 5 months of withdrawls before I started feeling better. In may I went to see a buddy in West Va. and met my lifetime love, and we are planning a fall wedding this year. Let me say a couple things, I needed off the meds that were killing me, and I struggled through the worse time in my life and even lost my very close sister to cancer in 2006 along with the divorce. How bad do you want it, sounds like to me you know something is not quite right.
    Now for the other thing, you need treatment for pain...this can work! I moved to W.V. with my lady in 2009 and started seeing a great doc at a reputable medical facility, and told him about the pain and showed him my leg, and he tried me on a med called Nucynta, and it has worked great, and I get along with it very well and it is not nearly as habit forming, and I take 3-100mg tablets a day, and my life is working. I could go on and on about the horror stories, but life is good, and I feel great. You might look up this med, and ask your doc about it, it has been out about 4 years and is a very good pain pill. Everyone is different, and I felt the suboxone was only going to prolong things, but it did help me to see what clarity was like again. Good luck with everything!

Hi Rose, Thanks for the note today! I got about 3 hourse of sleep last night (if that). I was just filled with anxiety and probably the beginning of some w/ds on my low dose last night. The one good thing was that I logged in here last night and reading Amber's posts and the replies from you and Kikker helped a great deal with my mental state. I felt anxious and could not get sleep but I was calm somewhere in my brain, if that makes any sense. I feel a very strong resolve to kick this and I'm going to do it! It really does help to have this site to be accountable to. I know I have to be accountable to myself, first and foremost, but this site really helps! Thanks for all that you do to help!

Riveratt -

Wow! You have been through so much!! Thank you for sharing your story and I will look into the medicine that you mentioned. You are right that I need to find a way to manage the pain. I hope this site makes others aware that many people who are struggling with pain pill addiction got to this place because of genuine pain. It's good to share that these pills can grab a hold of you whether you take them as precribed or not. Right now I'm just very focused on quitting the pills.
    Congratulations to you in finding your true love and planning your wedding. That is so wonderful!

hey jupiter...i wanted to speak to u about ur pain issues. that pain med riveratt mentioned is a good one but it is a strong class 2 narcotic. it is thought to be easier to get off of by most docs but i was addicted to that just like the rest of them. if ur gonna be getting clean that means no narcotics of any kind. no disrespect to riveratt because that nucynta is a very good choice for lots of ppl.

i had a very serious injury that required a major surgery....that is what got me started with my drug abuse. i had legitimate pain issues that i THOUGHT always required strong narcotic pain relievers....and LOTS OF THEM too! turns out that wasn't the case at all. let me attempt to explain what i mean.....

our brain recognizes the pain and tells us to take the pills. the brain raises the pain level ands we take more pills... it keeps repeating. this goes on and on until we are addicted and doing anything and everything possible to obtain the pain meds we believe we really need...or really really want.

i had a very good surgeon that informed me the narcotics that i was taking in huge doses, and abusing was actually causing most of my pain problems. yes i had pain, but it was actually no where near what i believed it to be. he suggested i quit taking ALL narcotics and find out what my real pain level was. what i found was astonishing to me.....

my pain that i had thought for yrs to be horrible was actually no where near what i had believed it to be. i found that tylenol, motrin, ibuprofin, and lots of other otc meds actually did work for the pain. i didn't want to believe it because i wanted to have to take those narcotics because i loved the feeling they gave me. but i didn't have the actual pain i thought i had and the mild otc relievers really did help. crazy i know.

i'm NOT saying ur pain is false or not what u say it is....not at all jupiter. i'm sure u have pain because of the injuries and trauma u have had. i'm just saying that maybe it's not quite as bad as ur mind is making u believe it is. hope u understand. one way to find out for sure....

stop taking ALL narcotics by the CT method that has been suggested to u and see what ur actual pain level is. if it is right up there thru the roof fine, at least u will know for certain. but what if u find like i did that it can be controlled with otc meds....wouldn't that be something?!

just my thoughts on the matter and it's entirely up to u of course. i give u my full support no matter what u decide to do.

hope ur doc appt goes better than yesterday with the 'no appt'. that had to be terrible for u. give us a shout and let us know what's going on with u today.

Hi Kikker,

Thank you for the advice. I did not realize that the medicine riveratt mentioned is a narcotic. I have never heard of it before. I am going to kick all narcotic/opiate pain pills and do exactly what you suggest. I need to gage my actual pain. I think I can manage it with OTC. My only issue is that I get terrible cramping in my leg from my sciatic nerve that wakes me up from dead sleep. That is going to be the worst thing, but I don't care. I just want to be free from this. I am still hesitant about c/t. I really can't be out for 5 days... Maybe I'm fooling myself but I want to make a taper plan and try to stick to it with the help of my doctor. I have faith but it will be very hard. I may end up doing what Amber did and just jump off before I complete the taper. In any case, I'm so ready to be done!! I'll definitely keep you posted. Thank you!

Hi all, I wanted to check-in today after my appointment. I was very nervous, but I am sure glad that I went to my doctor and was honest with her about my situation. It's tough to come clean about something like abusing meds, because you have built a trusting relationship with your doctor (I had) and then you kind of have to break that down and start over. In my case, I was thankful that I had not ever lied to my doctor to get pain pills. I got them from people in my life, which is more dangerous, but a little easier to admit I guess. I told her my situation and showed her my plan for a taper with the help of my friend. I want to say that I don't think I could accomplish a taper on my own. I know that I will take more pills than I'm supposed to if I have a whole bottle. My friend will hold my prescription and give me what I need for each day.

My doctor liked my taper plan and modified it slightly. Now I don't want to downplay my problem, because I definitely have one, but she told me that the fact that I only take the pills in the evening will help me out a little. I usually have about 20 hours each day with no pills. I guess she thinks this will make my w/ds a little easier to manage along with the amount that I take and the (somewhat) shorter duration that I've consistently been on the meds (4 months). I'm not totally convinced, but it's something to keep me optimistic right now.

Day 1 - 30 mgs. (taken in 2 doses of 15 mg.) Here we go...

ok we'll go with it and isn't it nice u admitted to ur doc the problems u have with drugs? i told u the docs would usually work with us if we're honest with them and show a sincere effort to want to get off them. i'm very very proud of u for spilling it in front of ur doctor. that took guts and u should be very proud of urself.

i'm still no fan of a taper from narcotics as the amt of willpwr it takes is huge but u may just be up for it. having ur friend hold ur pills certainly helps. i tried it too once but threatened my friend and kept bugging him so much that he finally said he was done trying to help me and i just gobbled all the pills up. hopefully that won't happen to u. be strong and vigilant.

juist remember that at the end of the taper u'll still be basically 'jumping' at some dose of pills. it may be very very small, but it's still considered a jump at the end....

as a result of that fact ur gonna have to expect some small withdrawal symptoms. it's entirely possible u may not have any symptoms because of the low amt ur now on, but i think u most likely will experience some symptoms at least....hopefully not.

that is why the jump now makes sense....symptoms for 3-5 days and done. but i do respect ur decision and wanting to give it ur best shot so i certainly wish u the absolute best with ur taper. make sure u keep posting often. that helps sooo much. get ur thoughts out and any questions u may have at any time.

good for u Jupiter....u have to WANT THIS more than anything!
    Jupiter55 likes this.

Thanks Kikker! You bet I want this! I am just rereading all of the posts here and on Amber's forum to keep me motivated. I have to admit I already had a small feeling of depression just knowing that I don't have my "escape" to look forward to anymore at night. Isn't it so stupid to think of it as an escape when it's really a trap? I've always been the person who is motivated by having something to look forward to tomorrow whether it be a fun concert, a new dress to wear or knowing that I have those pills to look forward to. Now I am focusing on having my brain back! I want to be sharp at work like I used to be and to remember all of those little things I've been letting slip. Also, a big one to look forward to is having money. I am flat broke right now and a huge part of it is buying pills these last two weeks. I'm still keeping up on all of my bills, but all of the extra money is going to pills lately. I'm so ashamed of myself. I have a good job and I'm wasting my hard earned money...just throwing it away. I am going to try to focus on what I'll be able to do once I kick these stupid pills. I'd like to save for a trip with my boyfriend or just have money for fun stuff. Anyways, thanks Kikker for your support and for being blunt and honest. I need that right now! I am still thinking about c/t. I think that might be right for me once I start to feel some symptoms, because then I'll just want to get them over with. I'm also going to try and stay away from benzos. My friend is holding a few for me, but I'm only taking them as a last resort. I'll keep posting and Kikker, how is your health? I hope you are feeling better. My dad had his gall bladder out last December and we were very worried about him. He was having back pain and he was in really bad shape when they took that thing out. I hope you are getting the help you need! Hang in there! - J.

Hey Kikker, Just looked at a couple of your posts and maybe I'm wrong with the gall bladder. Are you getting that removed or your appendix? Either way, I hope you are doing alright. I bet that is a scary feeling going into a surgery and having to think about pain meds. My dad had an epidural when he was in the hospital getting his gall bladder removed. He had some serious complications and an infection and he was in the hospital for a week. He had that epidural for a few days and then when he left the hospital he didn't really need any pain pills because it took a while for the epidural to wear off. Maybe you could do something similar and try not to take any pills home with you or maybe only the bare minimum? You will do it and we'll all be here to support you. Thanks for everything - J.

totally understand about the money part. i lost my girlfriend (trying to get her back now) my home, some of my friends and family, and almost lost my very good job. i spent all of my cash on those stupid drugs. thousands and thousands of dollars.....

instead of making the mortgage pmt i wanted to get high instead....and didn't want to take my girl out cause i had no pills. yeah, i get it about the money it took to get what we wanted. what a way to live huh....

it's common for some depression to set in as u begin to get off the drugs. just know the drugs are gonna do everything possible to get u back. they don't want u quitting them....no way. they want their friend back and turn up the pressure to take that first pill, or in the case of ur taper to take that 'extra' pill at some point....

that's one reason we say u have to WANT IT more than anything. ur fighting the drugs and they are 1 tough customer as u know. ur emotions will be all over the place. u'll be laughing and crying at times when it might not make sense to u. just get thru 1 day at a time....1 hr and sometimes even 1 minute at a time if u need to.

u want to be thinking exercise right away....and get as much of it as possible. just walking does sooo much good for u at this point. don't sit around and think about the drugs. get up and out every chance u get. listening to ur fav music also is a godsend. u can't believe how much that will help.

google the 'thomas recipe' as many here use it. lots of vitamins and supplements that help with ur detox symptoms. just don't use the benzo's suggested at this point. u probably won't need them and u should check with ur doc 1st anyway.

it's gonna be tuff to taper...ur gonna have to be committed to it 100% to have any chance to be successful. u'll have lots of support here as u know.

i'm doing ok i guess. going in mon morning to have my appendix out so i will be away for 1-3 days i guess. i'm worried about using pain meds after the surgery. i informed the surgeon about my addiction and he said we would take precautions to insure that doesn't happen post-surgery. tks for asking.

u take care and hope u can sleep well. that is the last thing to return to normal as u've probably heard. there is lots of natural sleep aids avail at most pharmacies. talk to u again soon.....kikker
    Jupiter55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter55 View Post
    Hey Kikker, Just looked at a couple of your posts and maybe I'm wrong with the gall bladder. Are you getting that removed or your appendix? Either way, I hope you are doing alright. I bet that is a scary feeling going into a surgery and having to think about pain meds. My dad had an epidural when he was in the hospital getting his gall bladder removed. He had some serious complications and an infection and he was in the hospital for a week. He had that epidural for a few days and then when he left the hospital he didn't really need any pain pills because it took a while for the epidural to wear off. Maybe you could do something similar and try not to take any pills home with you or maybe only the bare minimum? You will do it and we'll all be here to support you. Thanks for everything - J.
    we posted at the same time. no i don't want to take any pain meds home. that would not be good! the epidural is a good idea. i'll see what the surgeon thinks. tks again

My only issue is that I get terrible cramping in my leg from my sciatic nerve that wakes me up from dead sleep. That is going to be the worst thing, but I don't care. I just want to be free from this.

I want to chime in with something that may help this: Gatorade. My mom has sciatica. My partner who died in '06 from Parkinson's used gatorade for his cramping, well known among parkinson's patients to help prevent and relieve cramping. It has to be gatorade, not powerade. Try this: my mom swears by it.

Let us know what you intend to do about either tapering or going c/t.

Rose
    Jupiter55 likes this.

Hi, I'm just checking in today. Thinking about you Kikker and hoping your surgery goes well today!! You have the right attitude going in, so you will be just fine staying away from the pills! Take good care of yourself.

Rose - Thanks for the advice. I will try the Gatorade for sure! So far, with my taper plan, I have not experienced any leg cramps. I am thankful for that. I have some non-addictive muscle relaxers and a nerve medicine to try if it gets really bad.

I stuck with 30 mgs. on Saturday, but yesterday I dropped down to 25. I took 15 in the afternoon and 10 at night. I slept alright (after I took some Nyquil) but today I definitely feel strange. I have kind of a weird fuzzy sensation in my head and I don't feel very awake or able to focus. It kind of reminds me of stopping an anti-depressant which I have done before. That is a very unpleasant feeling of weird electric jolts in your brain. It's terrible.

I am planning to pick up some items from The Thomas Recipe this week. Thank you all for the encouragement and I'll be posting as I get further into this taper plan. I plan to take 25 again today and tomorrow.

- J.

I also wanted to say that I got to say NO today when someone asked me if I wanted pills. That felt really good!!

i actually had the surgery on fri/sat early am. i was feeling really bad on fri and had bad symptoms and a very high fever. went in to the ER and they sent me right to surgery to remove it.

i'm still in the hospital but hope to go home either later today or in the morning. looks like it will be in the morning now....doc hasn't been in yet today.

i had the epidural and that was ok for me. had a few pain pills after and then just have been on some anti-imflammatories. i'm doing much better now. tks for ur concern. i really appreciate it.

u may have been feeling like that because of the nyquil and other drugs. might not have mixed together well. hopefully it will clear up soon for u.

ur doing great with the taper. keep right on going and don't change anything.
    tks again for ur comments.

have a great day.

Hi Kikker,

Oops...I saw on another thread that you had to go in for surgery early! Ugh...I'm sorry to hear you were feeling so terrible on Friday night. Thank goodness they removed that appendix before it burst. Glad to hear the epidural was successful! And you are very welcome for the concern. I thank you for yours as well! I hope you get some good rest in the hospital and that you will be home soon.

Still feeling brain buzz and kind of like I'm floating today. I am definitely going to stay away from anything OTC tonight that might make me drowsy. I rarely take Nyquil and I don't think it's helping me today. I have seen you mention Sleepy Time tea in other posts. Maybe I will give that a try. I plan to pick up some melatonin this week, as well. That has helped me in the past with sleep trouble.

Take care!
    -J.

Hello, Kikker and Rose could you give me some info on NA? I'd like to start attending meetings but I know very little. Do I need to be completely sober before I can start attending? I am obviously not completely clean since I am working on a taper program, but I am fully committed to getting there. Thanks -J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast