Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By methadone+withdrawal
  • 1 Post By balbanese
OMG methadone withdrawal is killing me

Default OMG methadone withdrawal is killing me

I really need some help, I was on methadone for a little over 2 years. My highest does ended at 86mg daily. Over a year or more I brought myself down to 16mg and went cold turkey 25 days ago. I'm STILL in withdrawal, cold and hot sweats, the runs, the fire inside, and really bad anxiety. I have taken no opiates, only a few xanax here and there the last week or so, my gf is not very supportive when it comes to me being lazy and sitting around doing nothing even when I was on day 7 of my withdrawals. My mind is running at 200mph and haven't gotten but maybe 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night for almost a month. I have gone to the gym everyday for the last 2 weeks and worked out hardcore for 2 hours a day, 1 hour spent in a dry sauna. I feel halfway normal when at the gym. I have been taking a multivitamin that I got when I was on methadone, called vitadone, green tea extract, potassium, b6, and b12 Valerian root, and a calcium enriched protein drink 3 times a day, now the withdrawals aren't nearly as bad as they were, I got about 5 hours of sleep last night but woke up feeling bad and my entire body sore from working out. When will my agony end? Someone please help!!!!!!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

16mg of methadone is a LOT to go cold turkey from. It lingers forever. You could feel this for a month or longer. If you hadn't made it 25 days already I would tell you to get a very small dose and taper down to nothing. But I wouldn't go back now.

Sorry you're feeling so badly but honestly you should have tapered down to nothing instead of what you did. Keep us posted. Hang in there. God bless.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

when I read the dose you stop at, I got the chills. As Robert said, you should have tapered down to the very lowest dosage slowly but now, at day 25, you almost have it licked. I know it sounds easier said than done, but you will start to feel better little by little. Sleeping 5 hours shows it's starting to get a drop better already.

ashughes2006 is offline New Member

Default newyorkgal

[ -- deleted --]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-23-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I've read BOTH of your posts and you are what's called a troll!!! No one asked you to come here. I DO KNOW how to turn on a computer and I definitely know how to spot a troublemaker. You either lighten up or you'll be down the road I assure you and no one will be bothered with your attitude again. That is a promise!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-23-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

lostmom4 is offline New Member

Default wow now im scared!

I joined here awhile ago but havent been able to b here much. I have been trying to get away from methadone and occasionally norco for awhile now with not much luck. i recently have been taking about 20mg to 30mg a day, well my last dose was 3 1/2 days ago, (Fri march 23rd). yesterday i took a total of 4 norcos and was wondering if i really messed up bad. BUT i really havent been feeling ALL that bad the past few days and was wondering why with NO methadone, well THEN i read the post about the poor guy STILL having a hard time for alomost a month! I am so confused i dont know what to do, or what to expect! I have a couple of norcos that >> really like to take right now to take the edge off alittle bit since im not tapering from the methadone BUT i dont know if that would just set me WAY back or what? If anyone understood anything i just rambled and has any suggestions PLEASE PLEASE reply!!! thank you!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Mom, are you going through w/d? I posted on your other thread. If you are someone will come on to advise you. Like I said I know nothing about methadone or how long it takes to go into w/d from them. I do know that they have a long half-life. But don't be too scared you will make it. Robert is gone today. So just hang tight and be strong. Sometimes fear overwhelms us. HAHA. Easy to say, but I know your fear is real. You just have to try to stay calm: 1 min. at a time. Post if you need to. I'll be around and can just talk to you.

Iloe rose

Thought I just posted to you. I know nothing about methadone except that it does have a long half life. Someone will be on to advise you with more experience. Right now, just try not to panic. Take it 1 min. at a time if you need to. I'll be hear if you need to talk.

Iloerose

yes sorry i did post more than one, wasnt sure if i posted in the right spot? I thank you so very much for your reply and i also replied in the other thread! I'm really trying to work through this stuff, havent had a methadone in 5 days, BUT have taken a couple of norcos the last couple of days to take the edge off. I Don't know if that is the wrong thing to do but feel like i have blown it and must start over again now. Woke up this morning feeling really bad, my weakness gave in and took 2 norcos again!! Don't know what the heck now? any thoughts are so so appreciated and very helpful with my mind set! hope to hear from you! and more!

Default update

ok so im now on day 34 and still have mild withdrawal symptoms, my body is tired, my mind is weak, and sitting around feeling sorry for myself doesn't cut it with a family to take care of. This has been a very long road, I have been clean from one of the hardest drugs to kick for over a month!!!!!! And did it at a high dose, probably not smart like everyone said but life still went on. Now the methadone w/d can be very discouraging when quitting c/t like i did, dragging on some days feel like there better then the next day feels worse then day 4 and 5. Working out really helped, felt normal for about an hour after I worked out and sweat in a dry sauna for an hour. I just started going to NA meetings for a little support and motivation to keep trucking on. I get chills just thinking about how close I am to the light. For anyone trying to get off of methadone no matter what anyone tells you IT CAN BE DONE!!! No red meats, no sugar, no caffeine, take plenty of vitamins, and reach out for as much help as your can get. God bless and thank you all for your inspiration.
    alleycat4714 likes this.

lostmom, do you have an email?

Methadone: I advised lost mom to try the need to talk section of the boards to see if she could get some advice. I know nothing about methadone except w/d are exponentially worse than norco. I'm going to tell her you posted here in case she doesn't see your message to her. She really could use the support of someone who has been there like you have, and like you she jumped from a relatively high dose. Geez, it's a relief to see you back and fine and to know it's doable. She is very worried. I'm so glad you made it through. Your advice makes so much sense.

Peace
    IloeRose

Forgot to say congratulations to you on your recovery. It seems you are doing all the right things!

Iloerose

Thank you!!! Anything can be accomplished if you set your mind to it!!!! I'm sure we have all heard that once or twice in our time. Its not Mt Everest by any means, it may feel like it is, but the victory is just as sweet. The biggest problem with methadone withdrawal is your head, your mind and thoughts will make life so much worse then it really is if you let it take control of your withdrawal. Try and keep busy, go for a little jog, just stay away from anything that will get your anxiety up anymore then it already is. Red meat, sugar, and caffeine will make your withdrawal last longer then it needs to, plus sugar and caffeine will make it harder to sleep at night. talking to someone who went though methadone withdrawal can sometimes be discouraging, because all we want to do is know the how long question, its kinda like being thrown into jail with no trial or release date, not knowing will always be a problem when it comes to methadone w/d. No one will ever know how long methadone w/d will last. It all depends on you and how you take control of the situation.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.

mauijim66 is offline New Member

Methadone withdrawals have been the hardest thing ive ever had to deal with. Now, i know you dont know me, but trust me. When i say its been my biggest challenge, im saying ALOT.

what day are you on?

NoMoreOxy is offline Senior Member

Congrats Methadone!

Amazing work! Over 30 days CT is amazing!

Stay strong (you clearly already are).

Thanks

JayOmatic is offline Member

Your already on the downhill...I quit methadone......you will feel better the more days you sock away from your last dose. Some advice...quit counting the days and just move on...ITS OVER!!!! Keep telling yourself that. Dont dwell on it. Go out...have a good time with friends. Eat well...exercize if ya can and dont dwell on it. The days get better the more time you put between that last dose and now soooooo.....suck it up....and be happy your almost done. Not really meaning suck it up...but the worst is behind you..every day is better.

Jay0matic

sorry i didnt get back to you sooner to answer ur question
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-03-2012 at 11:32 PM.

balbanese is online now New Member

Lightbulb Time and patience

In 2005 I was on 180mg of Methadone a day. Other stuff too, I stopped abruptly and almost lost my life. while the extreme withdrawal was from a combination of prescribed medications, I am convinced it was the Methadone that gave me the hardest time. It was hell, skin crawling, unable to sleep for days and days on end, mind racing, hot, cold, and what felt like electrical shocks through my head. I was hell. At first my sense of smell went hypersensitive until I began to taste what I smelled and every odor became 10,000 times more intense, then everything else went to hell.

All I can offer is this; you need a lot of time and a lot of support from any recovery group in your area, even an AA group would help. If your GF is impatient now she'd better get a new hobby because this is a long ride, but I'm here to tell you there is a light at the end of the tunnel, with Methadone it's a very long tunnel. I went cold T off >>>>>> and I'm telling you the Methadone was worse. So be patient, find a real support group and keep taking care of your health and surround yourself with people that understand and accept that you are very ill.
    Planmyescape likes this.