Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slipping
Needing to stop before things get worse
    slipping is offline New Member

Default Needing to stop before things get worse

Hi all,

Here's my story thus far: I got prescribed vicodin 500mg after having surgery to remove a tumor in December. Surgery went great, pain was minimal after the first week, and really I had no valid reason to take any more after the first two weeks. But here I am two months later having exhausted all my refills with three pills left and very anxious about how I'm going to get off this stuff. I am scared this is going to lead to a relapse w/alcohol for me when I run out of pills and I don't want that to happen! I don't think detox is going to be too awful-I've been taking 1000mg every other day. Not a lot, but I know I'm taking it for the high, and I realize this is a relapse for me. Every day I've been going to throw out the pills, and every day that doesn't happen. All the squirrelly addict thinking and rationalization is back in a big way. I have too much to lose to let addiction take my life over again. I got the thomas recipe and I think I'll be able to do this cold turkey w/o too much trouble. I think the psychological itchy feeling for the stuff is going to kick my ass the most. I feel ashamed. I was sober from alcohol for seven years prior to this. Oh well, time to get back on track. Any advice you have is welcomed, thanks!

Fed_up_with_meds is offline New Member

Dear Slipping,
    I certainly can relate to the fear of the withdrawal symptoms but like much of life, fear can be the hardest thing to get past. I was taking 10 10/250 Norco a day when I decided enough was enough. First day I cutback to two norcos and the withdrawal were just not that bad.. I expected terrible agony and sickness from all the scary talk you hear. The reality was, about two days jitters and not really feeling up to eating.. By three days it was tremendously less.. I ate 1-1/2 a day for a week and quit. It was over.

That was 100-120mg down to 20mg. If I read you right your taking 5-10mg. I would be really surprised if you feel anything at all.. Maybe a little headache (take ibuprofen) and leg pains.

No worries. Physical withdrawal will be light if you are notice anything at all. Craving have more to do with your mental state.. Avoid anxiety or other stress. If you make it 24 its over! Don't let the fear stop you from defeating them!

slipping is offline New Member

Default Thanks for info and support!

Hiya Fed up,

Well, took the last of the pills last night, 3 pills,1500mgs. I am ready to stop. I am looking forward to thinking clearly again! Today my brain feels like mush-it takes a minute to process, well, just about everything! I'm going to a support group after work. I have to get back on track with my sobriety.

Thanks!

Slipping
    Last edited by slipping; 02-27-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: left my name
    Comeback Kid likes this.

Comeback Kid is offline Senior Member

any word slipping? how ya doing?
    Hi my name is Adam, i'm an addict
    "Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    “If I can't win what sense does it make to fight?” -Father Martin on Step 1
    Clean as of 05.30.2014 (4:00pm)

shawn156 is offline Member

I wouldn't worry to much about withdrawals at that level of use. But stop while you can get off easy,it really is not fun being on higher doses like some here have been on. I am getting ready to jump off them very soon and know what to expect and have a lot of things in place to ease my w/d symptoms as much as possible. I have a few ways to do it and I think I am just going to replace the vicodin with the weaker opiate I have here and then c/t from them since w/d will be less of an issue and take less time to get through. I have until Tuesday to get a straight plan in place and be ready to work by Friday again. I am cutting it real close but have to stay working w/ds or not. Good luck and hope all is well.