Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By goofgirl
looking for help with hydrocodone
    mer3366 is offline New Member

Default looking for help with hydrocodone

I have been on hydrocodone for almost 6 yrs now for chronic pain and I also have fybromyralgia and two discs protruding in my lower back. I have just had a newborn baby and I have taken them throughout my pregnacy for the pain I looked that up to see if ok...and it was.but now that he is a month old I'm a little concerned with him breastfeeding. >> like to stop taking the hydrocodones but I'm afraid. My pain is too much and have trouble functioning. I have had back injections numerous times and wish there was something to get me through the days other than the hydrocodones. My body is becoming so immune I need to take more to aleviate the pain. I have had a dr. Suggest suboxen or methadone but I would rather try to ween myself off but feel I'm not strong enough to do so. Especially having a 5 year old and a newborn. Is there anyone that can suggest anything To help me out? I'm too afraid to ask for help...well more ashamed I am not one to ask for help but I'm afraid for my child and the Side affects. Thank you for any input or advice that can be given. It is greatly appreciated.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hi: I have no idea what would help with your pain. Many people on here have chronic pain and manage w/o any opiates at all. Most have become addicted because of the same situation that you are in and escalated use over time (including me). How many are you taking per day? DO NOT GO TO SUBS OR METHADONE to kick the hydrocodone: that's like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. Your goal is to be off of opiates? You can do two things: taper or go c/t using the Thomas Recipe minus the valium, xanax, etc. Going c/t is 3-5 day of nasty flu-like symptoms, it's no picnic, but you'll be over it in a matter of days. However, I don't know if the c/t will put your baby into w/d as well. Tapering would probably be in your best interest, as well as the babies if you are breastfeeding now. I know how impossible tapering seems, but you may want to push yourself to taper for the sake of your child. Post in the Need to Talk section, someone there may know much more than I do the effects of hydrocodone on your child. We are always scared to ask for help, but believe me we've all been there with the vicodin. I'll be looking for a post on need to talk and also checking back here for you! It's time to put the anxiety aside and see what we can do to get you off and free again!

Peace,

Iloerose
    surfdog and Pegaboomer like this.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Mer there is nothing to be ashamed of. You did not do this intentionally and you are acting in the best interest of you children. I agree with Iloerose tapering would probably be best for the baby Dog

Pegaboomer is offline New Member

I'm tapering off Vicodin right now. I, too, have terrible back pain. I've gone in two years after extensive back surgery, from Dilaudid, to Percoset, to Vicodin 7/7. At first I took the Vicodin every 4 hours. Then every 6. Then every 8. Now, I've cut down to 5/5 Vicodin and am able to go for 8 to 10 hours between them. My Dr. is helping me taper.

You MUST be mindful of your baby and weaning him at the same time you wean yourself. Please talk to your Dr. There is nothing to be ashamed of. We are all behind you.

It is very stressful to be raising two children, one of them an infant. Stress only increases your pain. You don't need to add the stress of cold turkey or, in my opinion, the Thomas Recipe right now. I know, I have 6 children. Infancy is like a time out of time because you are called upon to rise above your own feelings and give your all to another helpless human being. You need every advantage you can have at this time. There are other threads here on how to taper from Vicodin. Read some of them.

But, you really need your Drs. help and guidance on this one so that you don't harm your infant.

Good luck
    Pegaboomer

shawn156 is offline Member

This is the one thing that sticks out with opiate addiction.Everyone has the lower back pain that causes us to take more to get rid of.
    I was there once and I've been clean since April 16th,with only a few uses between then and now,but not a lot or enough to get me addicted.I had some pain I couldn't control.
    Anyways,it's tough to taper off being an addict.Cold turkey is the best way to do it and if you can't do that,switch to a weaker opiate.That is what I done after several failed attempts in 8 months with tapering.I'd eat em up and have to buy from the streets. I was tired of living by the pills so I asked my Dr for Tylenol 3 and got myself on that and after the mild withdrawals from the switch,I was able to drop the T3s with no wds.It took me about 7 weeks to do this. The back pain is gone unless the weather changes,hence why I had to use it sometimes. Last time I used was 2 weeks ago and had only 5 pills in 3 days.
    Getting off is only half the game,staying clean is the other half and hardest part but very doable with the right mindset. I had my mind in the right place and I was determined to be clean before summer,which I was and still am.
    Hope you get off them soon,you'll feel much better about yourself in the end.It does take a month or so to start getting back to normal,but it is so worth it.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

mer3366 this might help:

Vicodin and Breastfeeding: What Does the Research Say?
    Vicodin contains two different medications: hydrocodone bitartrate (a narcotic) and acetaminophen (Tylenol®, also known as APAP). The acetaminophen component does pass through breast milk, but it is not likely to cause problems (see Tylenol and Breastfeeding).

Until relatively recently, it was unknown if hydrocodone passes through breast milk. However, it is now known that hydrocodone does pass through breast milk. As a narcotic, it could cause significant problems in a nursing infant.

Vicodin (or another similar medication) is often prescribed to women for pain immediately after childbirth. In this situation, it is likely that only a little of this medication passes to the baby, since the mother is usually producing only very small amounts of colostrum. However, once the mother's milk "comes in," it may be a good idea to avoid (or at least limit) the use of this medication.

If you are taking this medication while breastfeeding and notice unusual, significant drowsiness, difficulty breathing, or limpness in your child, seek immediate medical attention.

Also related to pain, yoga is a good place to start. It can be done while your baby and toddler are napping. Personally i'm a Bikram yoga lover. It's yoga done in a very hot (104) degree room, your body will love the warmth. In just a few classes you'll see why so many love Bikram Yoga. Just ask your Rheumatologist......... I'll post a link..

take care

goofgirl is offline New Member

Hi,

I also have severe pain, fibromyalgia, and am a fairly new mom with an 18 month old daughter. I successfully stopped vicodin cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant. I think I took it twice while I was pregnant for significant back pain, but other than that I just did Tylenol. Well, when I had my daughter I needed a C-Section, so during my recovery they prescribed me Percocet. A couple of months after she was born, I went back to Vicodin. I think the Percocet really drew me back in, because I think these pain killers perpetuate your pain and thus your need for more meds. It's a vicious cycle. I felt really good and functional without them while I was pregnant.

Anyway, I'm now going to stop them again because I know the pain I have is just being encouraged to greater heights by the Vicodin. I also feel like it is contributing to some anxiety and depression I'm having. So I've got to stop this and get reingaged with life and my daughter. I know you want to set a good example for your kids and be really present with them like I do, right? So let's do this together.

Do you have a daycare person, your spouse, or another friend or family member who can help you out with the kids a little while you get through the first few days? I agree that stress contributes greatly to pain, so we need to definitely come up with some stress relieving practices to help get us through the pain. The yoga is a great idea. What else helps you relieve stress? PM me if you want to talk more specifics and buddy up to overcome this together. I'm also too ashamed to tell anyone, except for my husband, so it would really help to have extra support.

In terms of breastfeeding while taking it, I definitely don't believe it's ideal, but I did it. It's a risk-benefit question. The docs will prescribe it if they think you need it more than it will hurt the baby. She never experienced any severe drowsiness or respiratory problems, and she is super bright and sharp, so I don't think there were any long term issues. I do feel like we should really limit infants exposure to drugs and other substances, though, so if I had to do it again I would think twice.

Anyway, quit for yourself and the light and energy being drug-free will hopefully bring into your life. I hope the same for myself too. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon!

J
    CRYintheNIGHT likes this.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

mer3366 here are the links regarding yoga and bikram
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/fashion/13Mirror.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-26-2012 at 05:18 AM.

kristybeth is offline New Member

You have no need to feel ashamed or afraid to ask for help. Asking for help is a sign of strength and confidence.

ReadyForChange is offline New Member

Wow your story sounds so familiar! I know exactly what you are going thru! I have an 18mth old and a 6yr old...ashamed and sometimes depressed wondering how I got here! But over the last month I've gone from 10/10s a day to 4/10s a day...yesterday only 3, and so far today only 1!! I feel like poo but I'm so ready for change! And I'm kinda happy I have no money rght now either, so that improves my Chances of cutting down, but I'm scared bc I only have 2 left and taking 3 yesterday I was up all thru the night hurting I'm scared and feel oh so alone, my husband is way worse off he was taking 20+ a day and has had a few today but I don't think he has his mind set to stop :-/ he's so irritable and angry staying in the bed, while I'm up with kids trying to be fine for them, they deserve so much better and I'm determined to give them the best no matter what I have to do to stop this! Please pray for me to get thru this as pain free as possible and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well. Try to stop while breast feeding bc if not you'll have higher chances of increasing your dose like I did when I could quit worrying so much about him, good luck! We can do this!

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Ready let the fear be your friend. Fear going back to where you were. It helps. The shame and embarrassment accomplishes nothing but making you depressed. Becoming an addict was not a career decision it happens Lighten up on yourself Dog