Results 1 to 6 of 6
Husband's addiction
  1. #1
    worriedwife14 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default Husband's addiction

    I just recently found out about my husband's addiction to vicodin. It shook me pretty badly. We've been talking (and a lot of crying). He was glad I found them, though he is very ashamed and embarrassed. He didn't think he could quit on his own.
    It's been a pretty rough weekend all around. He has taken 1-2 each day since I found out (saturday), to lessen the withdrawals, but he's still having a pretty rough time with it all. I have them, so he doesn't have access to the pills, and we only have a few left. I'm not being naive, I know he has an addiction and could get more if he wanted. His withdrawals are pretty bad, so I'm fairly certain he hasn't.
    He wants to see a doctor to help him, as do I. I know how hard it will be for us to do this on our own.
    My question is this-what kind of doctor should he/we see? A general practitioner? A psychiatrist? I have no idea what to look for. I'm also scared of him getting into legal trouble. Is that a possibility when going to a doctor for something like this? I'm scared, worried and want us to get through this.

  2. #2
    Sundwn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    What people on this thread will need to know is this.....you say Vicodin is his DOC. How much was he taking daily and for how long has he been taking? Just an example. If he has been taking 10 milligrams 8 to 10 times a day for say.....2 years. Then ( and it's different for everybody ) but most likely he will feel pretty rough for 5 to 6 days. And this is if you go CT. Which is really the best way. Days 3 and 4 most likely be the worst. Then he will start to feel much better. Vic's are a weaker cousin to oxychodone. As I said depending on his dosage and length of habit. But post the information I have asked for so people will better understand where he is with this. You have come to the right place. People here are knowledgeable and extremely caring. This can be done. I am currently 2 weeks CT off of oxychodone. I am much, much better. CT, you only have to go through this one time...hang in there and keep posting

  3. #3
    Sundwn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Also, if you choose CT and I hope you do. Look up the " Thomas recipe" this will help with wd,s......also, water water, water. Flush those bad guys out.....good luck. He can do this I gaurentee it....One more thing if you can post on " need to talk" more people will see it.......
    Last edited by Sundwn; 05-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.

  4. #4
    worriedwife14 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sundwn View Post
    What people on this thread will need to know is this.....you say Vicodin is his DOC. How much was he taking daily and for how long has he been taking? Just an example. If he has been taking 10 milligrams 8 to 10 times a day for say.....2 years. Then ( and it's different for everybody ) but most likely he will feel pretty rough for 5 to 6 days. And this is if you go CT. Which is really the best way. Days 3 and 4 most likely be the worst. Then he will start to feel much better. Vic's are a weaker cousin to oxychodone. As I said depending on his dosage and length of habit. But post the information I have asked for so people will better understand where he is with this. You have come to the right place. People here are knowledgeable and extremely caring. This can be done. I am currently 2 weeks CT off of oxychodone. I am much, much better. CT, you only have to go through this one time...hang in there and keep posting
    I'm not sure exactly the dosage. He was taking around 10 a day for the past year. Lorcet, I think. They are light green, thick, oblong and say Watson 503. 2-5 a day (most days) for quite a few years before that.
    He's almost going CT. He's down to 1 a day as of today.

  5. #5
    worriedwife14 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sundwn View Post
    Also, if you choose CT and I hope you do. Look up the " Thomas recipe" this will help with wd,s......also, water water, water. Flush those bad guys out.....good luck. He can do this I gaurentee it....One more thing if you can post on " need to talk" more people will see it.......

    Thanks, I'll post this there, too!

  6. #6
    surfdog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Macon GA/Montana/Wyoming
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worriedwife14 View Post
    I just recently found out about my husband's addiction to vicodin. It shook me pretty badly. We've been talking (and a lot of crying). He was glad I found them, though he is very ashamed and embarrassed. He didn't think he could quit on his own.
    It's been a pretty rough weekend all around. He has taken 1-2 each day since I found out (saturday), to lessen the withdrawals, but he's still having a pretty rough time with it all. I have them, so he doesn't have access to the pills, and we only have a few left. I'm not being naive, I know he has an addiction and could get more if he wanted. His withdrawals are pretty bad, so I'm fairly certain he hasn't.
    He wants to see a doctor to help him, as do I. I know how hard it will be for us to do this on our own.
    My question is this-what kind of doctor should he/we see? A general practitioner? A psychiatrist? I have no idea what to look for. I'm also scared of him getting into legal trouble. Is that a possibility when going to a doctor for something like this? I'm scared, worried and want us to get through this.
    Worried If you can find an addictionoligist that is best. Most larger cities have them. I know some of the best are in Atlanta couple of different facilities, Federal regulations protect information on addiction treatment and anything told to your doc is also protected glad to help if I can Surfdog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22