HELP! advice, direction, support ???
    lostmom4 is offline New Member

Unhappy HELP! advice, direction, support ???

Hello, i posted once on here but not sure how to use this site quite yet i don't think.I'm not even sure what to really say at the moment, looking for someone to tell me what to do i think, as dumb as that may sound! I noticed that Robert 325, you have alot of experience in this area, and seem to have helped more than a few people on this site. I'm not sure how to start but I want to get away from taking pain meds so bad I am here. Any advice you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm going insane, one day i think i can just not take anything and the next day i find myself taking the more than i probably needed. I started out taking Norcos a few yrs ago, was taking anywhere from 4 a day to 20 a day ( depending on what i had available). 6 months ago i started taking Methadone 10mg . Thought this was a good thing because i didnt have to take nearly as many to feel ok. I also was told that methadone would not give me the horrible withdrawals that norcos would? I've even had a few episodes where i had some really bad ? hot flashes? like a panic attack and thought maybe it being i had taken methadone and norcos the same day? I've been taking these damn pills for long time but still not very educated in what my body can take or not take! Very scary!! I would like to know a safe way to back away from these things, and hoping to find help here i guess? I don't consume a large amount (anymore), too scared! But would like to take NONE! when i have enough available to me, like to take at least 2 10mg when i start my day, a few hrs later i might take 2 more and then 1-2 more later that night? never a day the same plus i want to quit so I'm so up and down like i said, i feel like i'm going insane! I know what withdrawals from pain pills is like,and I don't do well with it. I also have a family to take care of daily, If maybe i knew how to taper down, i could get thru it! sometimes i don't think i'm healthy enough, i smoke too much and i only weigh like 98 lbs. as it is! I hope I havent rambled on and sounded like a complete fool! Just want help!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by lostmom4 View Post
    Hello, i posted once on here but not sure how to use this site quite yet i don't think.I'm not even sure what to really say at the moment, looking for someone to tell me what to do i think, as dumb as that may sound! I noticed that Robert 325, you have alot of experience in this area, and seem to have helped more than a few people on this site. I'm not sure how to start but I want to get away from taking pain meds so bad I am here. Any advice you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm going insane, one day i think i can just not take anything and the next day i find myself taking the more than i probably needed. I started out taking Norcos a few yrs ago, was taking anywhere from 4 a day to 20 a day ( depending on what i had available). 6 months ago i started taking Methadone 10mg . Thought this was a good thing because i didnt have to take nearly as many to feel ok. I also was told that methadone would not give me the horrible withdrawals that norcos would? I've even had a few episodes where i had some really bad ? hot flashes? like a panic attack and thought maybe it being i had taken methadone and norcos the same day? I've been taking these damn pills for long time but still not very educated in what my body can take or not take! Very scary!! I would like to know a safe way to back away from these things, and hoping to find help here i guess? I don't consume a large amount (anymore), too scared! But would like to take NONE! when i have enough available to me, like to take at least 2 10mg when i start my day, a few hrs later i might take 2 more and then 1-2 more later that night? never a day the same plus i want to quit so I'm so up and down like i said, i feel like i'm going insane! I know what withdrawals from pain pills is like,and I don't do well with it. I also have a family to take care of daily, If maybe i knew how to taper down, i could get thru it! sometimes i don't think i'm healthy enough, i smoke too much and i only weigh like 98 lbs. as it is! I hope I havent rambled on and sounded like a complete fool! Just want help!

Read the following link. This is your best bet for getting off all this stuff. I can help you do this right here on the forum. Let me know what you think. Pay very close attention to the INDUCTION section. You will need to follow my suggestions to the letter for this to work. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

korbon is offline Member

So you're doing approx 60mg of Methadone a day? You need to be doing the same amount every day and taper from that, otherwise a taper won't be effective.

In my experience I found that a 5mg drop every 4-5 days, while dosing twice a day, worked best. My body started to stabilize at the lower dose on the 3rd day and by the 4th or 5th I could make another 5mg drop.

I would recommend starting at 30mg in the AM and 30mg in the PM, about 12 hours later, just to get stabilized. After 4-5 days, when my body has adjusted, I'd cut it to 30mg in the AM and 25mg in the PM, After another 4-5 days drop to 25mg AM and 25mg PM. If you're dropping too fast you'll know it and may need to stay at one level a day or two longer to stabilize, if you have the pills to work with. By the time you get to 5mg a day you're coasting and can make the jump or continue to taper.

Methadone WD effect me like no other opiate. In addition to the physical effects it gives me a feeling of impending doom I can't shake and can come on or leave as quickly as flipping a light switch, but if I taper at the right rate I can do it without too much discomfort. Hopefully you can too.
    Last edited by korbon; 02-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Thank you for your reply and your words of advice!:-) I have a really hard time keeping up on here , while trying to stay level everyday and take care of large family as well. but your replies are so greatly appreciated AND helpful.some of the things you comment about even answer some questions i didnt realize i even had! lol if that made any sense. Am trying to do the taper thing but like you said, if I have the meds to do this with, not easy. Still going to do the best i can. It seems i hear alot of people talk about vitamins, protien, ect... was wondering if anybody has heard of something called, the Thomas recipe? and if it really works or helps? taking in any info and advice i can get before i start this process. I know it might sound strange or like im stalling but feel i need to get my family situated so to speak, and then plan to take a few days, or a week? at my parents to try and fix myself!?? does this sound unreasonable? how long does it take? right now i usually take (if i can) 2 10mg tablets in the AM and (if i can) 2 10mg tablets in the PM! ive found i think that i CAN get by without those 2 in the PM if i have to! should i just take the 2 in the AM, for a couple of days, and see how that works, and then maybe try one? I just don't know? have heard of the suboxen,sort of, but would like to stop taking one without picking up a new one! any replies, advice, or suggestions are appreciated, and thank you!

Catrina is offline Senior Member

Hi Lost,

We all here know and understand the fear you are feeling...desperation, really. That's where we all start. You've got a couple of posts that I'm glad you found helpful. My two cents, for what it's worth, is that you need to first decide the method that you are going use to get off this horrible stuff. There are a few: Methadone (you're doing that and it's a tough road), suboxone, somewhat better but you need to be guided by Robert and it will work! The other options are either tapering from the Norco or cold turkey. Cold turkey is the most difficult, symptom wise (you'll feel like pure poop for about a week if you are detoxing from Norco but much longer if you're detoxing from Methadone or subs) but also the quickest. You're the only one who can decide what will work for you. I was never able to taper--if I had something on hand, I'd use them until they were gone and put myself right back to square one.

Once you decide on the method you want to use to do this, then the wonderful folks on this forum will offer support and advice. The Thomas Recipe, by the way, is a list of things, mostly over the counter, that will help with some of the withdrawal symptoms. There is no magic fix and even those things won't make the symptoms disappear, they will only help a little and when detoxing, anything, and I mean ANYTHING, is a God send!

My advice is to consider your options and choose the one that you believe you can see through until the end. Tapering, from Norco, subs, or even methadone is a very viable option but you have to be committed. No one can make this choice for you but once you do, then put the plan into action and get to the other side.

Peace,

Cat
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Catrina is offline Senior Member

Dear Lost,

I tried to edit my last post but ran out of time. I wanted to mention that cold turkey from either subs or methadone wouldn't be something I'd make a go at. Those two things need to be tapered. The detox symptoms are more intense and last longer. Just wanted to be sure I clarified that. I don't have personal experience with either of those but have learned alot about them on this Forum. Read, read, read every post you find the time to read, especially those on sub tapers. It won't take long for you to decide if that's the road you want to take. If you are taking both methadone and Norco, ask Robert or others with experience (I don't have any) and they'll help you with a plan. Maybe using the Norco to get away from the methadone and then detoxing from the Norco? Not sure but others will know and give you advice.

Peace,

Cat
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Thank you Catrina for your words of advice! :-) Anything helps right now, and I'm thinking of tapering if I can make sure I have the amount i need to do so. I have stopped taking the norcos, they seem to really make me feel sluggish, and just not very good anymore. So the Methadone is what I'm trying to rid of now. I do have A wonderful family that I'm sure will back me all the way and do whatever i asked of them, if I ask!! So going to try and get a few things from the Thomas recipe, some foods, and liquids, and maybe ask my family to take over my daily duty's for a lil while and lock myself down, so to speak! It all sounds so good, i"m going to give it my best!!! wish me luck and thank you! :-)