Detoxing off of Norco
    sunnydayz is offline Junior Member

Default Detoxing off of Norco

I deal with depression most of my life. Pain killers seem to eleviate my depression. I have battled this addiction throughout my life. I just got off norco as of this Monday, I have gone cold turkey. Slept a lot, felt horrid. I have heard that tramadol can help with detox and even help with depression. Does anyone know if this is true? Can someone respond to this, I would like to hear from someone with this similar addiction and how it worked for them? Should I worry about addiction to tramadol? I am scared and lost, I hope someone can answer some of my questions. Thank you.

sammy777 is offline New Member

Hi, i DO the same thing, i have depression and turn to drugs.I have manage not to get addicted to anything, until now, i tried subs and stayed on them for 2 weeks that was all it took for me to have my first addiction. I have been on them for 3 months total and 3 weeks trying to go off. Very, very, dumb thing i have done.Never had Noco, i don't know much about Tramadol.Depression, i know about depression and it hurts so much i don't know which is worse, addiction or depression, But you don't go to jail for depression,lol!Sounds stupid but exercise does release endorphin's, that's what i'm going to try.

Sammy

shawn156 is offline Member

I recently went off Vicodin/norco. Here is how I got clean.I told my Dr I wanted off them and to put me on Tylenol 3 with codeine to help me get by and not have horrible withdrawals. He was reluctant at first and didn't think I was serious.(I'll get to that in a minute) So he gave me 90 T3's with 1 refill. I started out on them and used both Vicodin and T3 at the same time 4x a day.After I was stable I went to 3x a day with the 2nd dose being only 1 T3. Then I cut the Morning Vicodin out and then cut out the night time Vicodin.Then Jumped back to 4 T3s a day and got myself stable and then tapered off to 2 T3's a day,one morning one 12 hours later then I jumped off a day and it hit me I had to stay on a little longer so I took 1 T3 a day for 3 days then skipped for 6 days then stopped everything. I don't remember the time line I done this but it was within 7 weeks and I am clean now.I know a lot of people will disagree with me when I say get a weaker opiate and taper down from it,trust me though,I had very mild WDs.I was still able to do just about everything as normal but had to use imodium a few times. I've only been clean a week today,but I have zero cravings for them,very little pain,and wasn't in a "fog" for long,maybe 2 days. It does take a strong will power to do what I done but I was determined to stop.
    I seen the Dr again today.He asked how I was doing on the T3s,I told him I stopped last week.He asked what I was taking,I told him Ibuprofen and Flexeril and xanax. He said he was impressed I took myself off them and am doing so well.He said most people would not be able to do what I done and that it's usually people wanting higher doses and more pills. We talked about addiction and I told him I was addicted,BUT I have been on Oxycodone,Vicodin/Norco T3s and Darvocet and I took myself off each time I was ready. I told him that people don't realize that opiate pain meds have a side effect that will make the pain worse,unbearable even after you take more pills then allowed. He agreed with me and he said he has a few patients he wants to do to them what I done for myself,get them off the pain meds. He said he didn't believe me when I said I would be off the pills in 2 months,and I done it in 7 weeks.He left a note in my file that if I call for a pain med,it will only be T3 and only 10 pills.That was his idea,I won't ever call though,I'm clean and enjoying life again,why would I want to screw this up for?The reason I went off is because I wanted to see where my pain level was and it happens to be very mild and what I take above works ok for me.
    This is one way to do it if you can't do cold turkey.You still get an opiate,just a weaker one.But you really have to have your mind in the right place to be able to get off the T3's.Trust me when I say WDs from T3's were weak and not bad.I'm glad my Dr understood me and agreed with me to help get clean.

Wow! I will try this when I'm ready - I am a little afraid to talk to my doctor but what you've said is very inspirational and makes it sound 'not so scarey'. Thanks for this info. peace.

That 'false sense of well being' that opiods give is great for depression , too bad it's HELL to get off of it! Good for you with the excercise, that takes a lot of will power. Best of luck and take care.

Good to know I'm not alone. Best of luck and peace to both of you.
    Last edited by sunnydayz; 04-25-2012 at 11:45 AM.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Sammy, Stay with your exercise! It's the best medicine to get through hydrocodone w/d. Keep on! When your natural endorphines kick in you will feel better. There are better ways to treat depression than pills. Sunny, there is not magic cure for w/d. from hydrocodone. The best thing you can do is suck it up and go c/t. Shawn, I'm glad you're one week "clean" and I hope you stay that way, even though you do have access to opiates. Also the Xanax thing? Xanax w/d makes hydrocodone w/d look like child's play. You're recommendation to substitute another opiate to w/d from an opiate like hydrocodone is absurd. You still have access to opiates. You've been clean one week, and you still have a safety net? If you want to get clean, suck it up and c/t the hydro's. Using subs for hydrocodone w/d is like "killing a mosquito with a canon". There is no MAGIC CURE for hydrocodone w/d. C/T is the best way to get over it as it is only 5-7 days of nasty, flu-like symptoms. YOU CAN BEAT THIS. Use the Thomas recipe for c/t, if you can taper, taper if that's what will work. But do not substitute another opiate, you do not need suboxone, and tramadol is a nasty trade. Tramadol w/d's can be as bad as benzo (xanax) w/d. If this is scary, it is what it is.

Sunny, when you are ready, go for it. Nobody can force you to quit, just don't think you're going to get out of this with no w/d. DO NOT substitute one opiate for another. It took awhile to get where you are, it's going to take awhile to heal. Hydro w/d physical symptoms are around 5-7 days. Then you work on regaining yourself. Get support here on the boards, NA, whatever works for you. Opiate are no way to treat depression, you just mask the real cause. The Thomas Recipe is the tried and true to alleviate symptoms. You'll also find great advice from others that doesn't involve substituting OPIATES! Which is a very, very bad idea.

Getting clean is not an event, it is as process. There is no "magic" cure. Good luck to all of you!

iloerose