Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DamnataAnimus
  • 1 Post By Fed_up_with_meds
  • 1 Post By Fed_up_with_meds
day 1 vicodin
    blackstang93 is offline New Member

Default day 1 vicodin

hello, Ive been taking pain killers for a bad back for 5 years. First it was ultram then darvocet then 500 gram vicodin. Now its 4-6 norco 7.5's a day. Im ready to quit. Im a all or nothing type guy. If I got them I take them. I couldn't ween myself off them. So its cold turkey for me. Can it be worse then quitting smoking 2 packs a day? I did that pretty easy(exercise everyday for hours). I got the Thomas recipe. I'm starting that today.The problem for me is I love the feeling of happiness/euphoria I get with taking the norco's. I don't feel like that sober. I'm grouchy,lazy, no gumption to do anything when I'm sober. I used to have that strong will power. I dont have that anymore. I know I can get through the withdraws, it just that happiness/euphoria that i will struggle with. My doc gave me a month perscription of the norco's to last me til I visit the pain clinic(my first trip to them). I burned through them withing 2 and a half weeks( I told myself I wanted to just finish that bottle off fast and start my detox). ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED...THANKS!

kc1223 is offline New Member

hi there! good luck with the quitting - i hope it goes well for you. i am not going to lie to you, detox is HARD. i am a vicodin addict and am one week clean today so trust me I know. i have done the detox thing many times and it is not fun. BUT you can do it! i know what you mean about the weening. i always said i was going to do that and tried to do that but it did not work for me. i ate all my pills and ended up having to go thru the withdrawls and agonies of quitting cold turkey. i don't know if i have any advice for you other than stay strong, positive and motivated. it is a battle but with enough strength and determination you can come through this on the other side. i know what you mean about the euphoria - my biggest issue too. not sure how to be ME again. i am so used to euphoric me that the sober me just doesn't seem like me at all (if that makes any sense). i don't know the answers but i am hoping to find some along the way too. GOOD LUCK AND YOU CAN DO IT!

I got this. its the end of day 2. I havent had hardly any withdrawl symptons. I do have a xanx perscription(thats helping with sleeping at night). I exercised hard for 1 hour after work. Ive been taking the thomas recipe. It reminds me exactly of when i kicked them marlboro's. I GOT THIS

awesome! good for you! each day it will get a little bit easier. keep going strong. the excercise, thomas recipe and lots of fluids will help move things along!

day 3. DONE. NO PROBLEM. I got a small foot injury from that treadmill workout but other than that im feeling great. Everything is a lot more clearer and I don't miss them pills at all. I know I wasn't taking a lot of norco's but i still feel i was addicted. The weird thing is my back pain has disappeared.I used to down my pills with 3-6 beers( I love beer always have, even before i started taking pills). I haven't had a beer since Saturday and i haven't had the thirst for one either. I think quitting is just a mind thing, you got to brainwash yourself, and really make your mind up..I GOT THIS!

DamnataAnimus is offline Junior Member

Sounds like your doing well.

Dont forget though quitting is the easiest part - the hard part is staying off them. Perhaps you could go to a NA meeting and see if thats for you.

Good luck though!
    kc1223 likes this.

Fed_up_with_meds is offline New Member

@blackstang

Yep.. I liked them too.. But it kept being more and more just to keep that buzz going... You eventually reach a plateau where you don't really get that same buzz and are doing it just to not feel bad.. For me that was about the same time my wallet started getting skinny... That was when I knew it was time to quit.

Best part of this process is never again do I have to worry about tracking down my dealer or getting red flagged.. I suddenly I seem to have a lot of extra money in my pocket. My wife is helping with that though.
    kc1223 likes this.

great job! keep it up! i am ten and a half days out and feeling better all the time. you have a great attitude - stay positive. i do agree with damanta though, quitting and withdrawls can be HELL but staying off is the real hard part. i have been on and off that horse MANY times. relapse is a real issue, make sure to enlist support if you can and from where you can (and feel most comfortable with).

day 4 over. not as easy today. My back(previous injury) and my foot(injury from workout) is horrible. I just toughed it out all day and im going to bed. It would have been nice to pop a Vicodin and get rid of that pain.. luckily i don't and never had a dealer. it was all prescription. So I don't have any vicodin. Like i said before I am a all or nothing guy. Good thing I don't have any. Im sure Ill feel better tomorrow.

Fed_up_with_meds is offline New Member

Yeah.. I noticed the first couple of days after I quit the pain I originally got them was really intense.. I had some neuropathy in addition to a shoulder injury. The neuropathy wasn't terribly bad but the first couple of days in to w/d it was 10 times worse.. Then by the third day or so it quieted down to normal.. Man my legs were on fire.. And they felt like I had no circulation in them aching all the time.

I chalked it up to nerves, after being asleep so long suddenly waking up. And being hyperstimulated, the pain was cranked up... But it was only the first few days thank God.
    kc1223 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstang93 View Post
    day 4 over. not as easy today. My back(previous injury) and my foot(injury from workout) is horrible. I just toughed it out all day and im going to bed. It would have been nice to pop a Vicodin and get rid of that pain.. luckily i don't and never had a dealer. it was all prescription. So I don't have any vicodin. Like i said before I am a all or nothing guy. Good thing I don't have any. Im sure Ill feel better tomorrow.
    blackstang - routing for you. the pain DOES seem to get worse after we stop using. not sure why exactly but i have heard that a lot from ppl and i myself have experienced it as well. there will be ups and downs but you got this. the pain will get better and so will your mind. way to stick with it! i started feeling WAY better after day 7. i know everyone is different but an end is in sight. take care!

i understand where you are coming from with the relapse. it happens to the best of us. i have gone through relapse so many times. i have been trying to REALLY quit for over a year now. it is an uphill battle i know. don't beat yourself up about it. it is very hard in your situation also since you are around it so much. having no one you feel you can reach out to for help is very hard also. but you were clean for 4 years? wow that is GREAT! i mean think about that. and think about how long that is. that is a major accomplishment. you are right - staying stable is hardest. good luck to u!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-01-2012 at 06:30 PM.