Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iloerose
Xanax, when to take them?
    kuplo is offline Junior Member

Default Xanax, when to take them?

My doctor wrote me a prescription for Xanax 2mg, on the prescription he wrote to take 3 a day, but personally told me to adjust the dosage as I felt required. If I needed to take 4 a day, then take 4 a day, or if I needed to take 1 a day, then take one a day.

My basic history in a nutshell is that i get anxiety attacks (at least thats what I term them) where I will start to think about something (could be as little as spending a couple hundred dollars on some camera equipment or just the thought of getting up in front of people in my acting class, and I will start out coughing, then gagging and ultimately vomiting.

My Dr originally prescribed Lexapro and I've been on that for 2 weeks now, as well as Diovan 160mg once a day, he's now upped the dosage of my Diovan to 160mg 2x a day, 1 lexapro a day, some cholestrol and triglyceride medicine and now the Xanax 2mg pills.

My question is tha I see half life written in many posts and dont have a clue what that means. Generally I get up in the morning and take 4mg of xanax along with the rest of my prescriptions (because almost assuredly a panic or anxiety attack will occur while I am in the shower thinking about what I have to do that day).

Im wondering at what point I should be taking the xanax, should I take 1 2mg pill when I get up and take the rest of my prescriptions, and then spread them out during xx hours (how many xx hours Is what I dont know) of the day, or to take 4mg when get up, then take another 2 or 4 mg in the afternoon.

Since I just started to take them a couple days ago, Im not sure what would be more appropriate to keep the drug in my body during the whole day so that I dont get some sudden panic or anxiety attack during some point during the day. I certainly know I dont want to take 8mg when I wake up else I would feel like sleeping more then anything else.

I also use them to help me sleep, I've tried ambien (did nothing for me at all towards sleeping), and I've tried dalmane (which would put me out pretty quickly but make me feel really dopey for about 2 or 3 hours after waking up.

So far it seems that xanax works two fold for me, 1 to relieve anxiety and panic attacks, and 2 to be able to sleep at night.

Is there a suggested method of time taking thie pills so that there is no "between" time when I might experience an attack at the worst possible moment?

I hope this makes sence.

P.S. He also described the xanax for me because I do drink large amounts of alcohol (often consuming half of a 750L bottle of whiskey a night) and when I take the xanax I have no desire to drink anything and dont drink anything.

On the prescription it says to take 3 x day (but again he told me to adjust that to my needs) so what is this half life I hear about, how long does xanax actually supress the anxiety and panic from occuring in the body?

Thanks for any information.

Kuplo

P.S. I also wondering if taking Xanax produces impaired motorskills. While its takig cae of the anxiety attacks I seem to knotice a decreased speed overall in my everyday movements. For example the first time I took Xanax (dont recally whether it was a 2mg or a 4mg pill but I took it at bedtime and when I woke up the next morning, my mind was feeling fresh and alert (good nights sleep) but my body was feeling uncoordinated and I felt kind of off balance for maybe a half hour to an hour and then just kind of shuffled my feet until about 2pm, so im wondering if this is normal, will go away with the regular doeses or if tis is just a side effect of xanax. Even little things like going out to dinner. Usually Im the first one through with eating dinner when we go out to a restaurant, but once taking the xanax I found my meal lasted a good 20 to 30 minutes longer then anyone else at the table, kind of just like slow motion.

addict8 is offline Junior Member

Xanax - the half life is 12 hours, yes it does impair motorskills, has some of the worst withdrawal symptoms, an those themselves can kill you. 8mg a day is close to virtually being a zombie. the largest clinical dose I have heard of is 10mg. You feel nearly dead.

<===========================>

But what does half life mean? Is that when it no longer becomes effective anymore in the body, or is that when it starts to lose its potency and thus you may start to experience anxiety or panic attacks after 12 hours? That info would help me to know at what point to take the second dose.

I have a classmate thats on 8mg/day xanax amongst many other things (I tink it stems from his vietnam days), he seems perfectly fine on 8mg but he may have been taking it for a long long time now and thus built up a tolerance to it.

I took 4mg this morning about 1pm and almost immediately started to feel better, by 7pm I took 1mg more (broke the 2mg pill in half) and went do dinner, and yes I do feel extremely tired now and ready for a good night sleep.

Also besides dependency on them, is it true that your body becomes immune to them to where you start to need more and more of them to maintain anxiety free lifestyle?

Still what does this half life mean?

Thanks,

quote:Originally posted by kuplo

But what does half life mean? Is that when it no longer becomes effective anymore in the body, or is that when it starts to lose its potency and thus you may start to experience anxiety or panic attacks after 12 hours? That info would help me to know at what point to take the second dose.

I have a classmate thats on 8mg/day xanax amongst many other things (I tink it stems from his vietnam days), he seems perfectly fine on 8mg but he may have been taking it for a long long time now and thus built up a tolerance to it.

I took 4mg this morning about 1pm and almost immediately started to feel better, by 7pm I took 1mg more (broke the 2mg pill in half) and went do dinner, and yes I do feel extremely tired now and ready for a good night sleep.

Also besides dependency on them, is it true that your body becomes immune to them to where you start to need more and more of them to maintain anxiety free lifestyle?

Still what does this half life mean?

Thanks,
    A half life is when half of the drug is gone(non-active change chemicl el ements) an half is still left in the body. Say you take a 2mg at 2pm half of the drug will have gone by 2am. did you say a 4mg tablet??? What color was that??? I have only ever been given 2's, I have heard of 3mg but never seen them. If there are 3-4mg tablets please let me know what color they are. Thank you.

I don't know you and I am not a doctor, but seeings you take 3 a day I would take one at 9am 4pm 9pm.

[A half life is when half of the drug is gone(non-active change chemicl el ements) an half is still left in the body. Say you take a 2mg at 2pm half of the drug will have gone by 2am. did you say a 4mg tablet??? What color was that??? I have only ever been given 2's, I have heard of 3mg but never seen them. If there are 3-4mg tablets please let me know what color they are. Thank you.

No they are 2mg pills, lieelt while pills with 4 score makrs, I assume to break them into .5mg pills.

[/quote]

confusedvette is offline Junior Member

I have a RX for .5 mg of Xanax once or twice a day. I usually only need it at night. Any addiction danger there?

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by confusedvette View Post
    I have a RX for .5 mg of Xanax once or twice a day. I usually only need it at night. Any addiction danger there?
    This is also the doseage I have been prescribed. So far it has been working and I use it sparingly. I've been trying to incorporate and read up on Valerian Root as an alternative.

I take soemtimes 2 .5mgs to make a full 1 mg or sometimes I take half. I am surprised that the original poster is taking so many meds (and I am sorry to hear it, as I know exactly what you are going through!) but was it ever a consideration to combine medical treatment with therapy of some sort? I've been told that anxiety and panic is a "learned" behavior as well as possible "chemical imbalance." I think it would benefit you to also seek some counseling, to deal with this instead of relying solely on meds. We are all in the same boat and I wish us all the best. And remember: it's all a mind game, sometimes. And yes, research (as I've done tons of reading on this), shows that people who suffer as we do CAN lead very anxiety free lives!!!

Here is to us.

BillyKoz123456 is offline New Member

hmmm im prescribed to 2mg x4 daily and its saved my life....after 10 years of abusing ecstasy every weekend it made my anxiety so bad i quit my job after 6 years making 80,000 and ended up sittin in my room for 2 years. I take all 8 mg a day and its amazing, I got my job back, family life is better, life in general is better. So dont listen to some BS that somebody just read about while jackin off. Listen to your body, I know it can be addicting, but thast why you take it as prescribed and youll be fine. I also like the slowness cuz i have adhd and usually im talking a mile a minute and wont shut up and now im calm and collective. I love xanax

Quote Originally Posted by addict8 View Post
    Xanax - the half life is 12 hours, yes it does impair motorskills, has some of the worst withdrawal symptoms, an those themselves can kill you. 8mg a day is close to virtually being a zombie. the largest clinical dose I have heard of is 10mg. You feel nearly dead.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

You fried your brain using ecstasy for ten years: "dangerous acute effects include feelings of depersonalization, elevated anxiety, muscle tension, involuntary teeth clenching, nausea, blurred vision, faintness, chills and sweating, hypertension, tremors, seizures and increased body temperature."

And you wonder why you have acute bouts of anxiety. Your brain may be able to regenerate on it's own if you decide to try other therapies than taking a pill like xanax for instant relief. Xanax is the devil itself, probably right up there with ecstasy. You think xanax is great because for you, right now, it's a quick fix. Your level of xanax usage is downright dangerous. You say about xanax that you "know it can be addicting', heck yes it's addicting and the addiction happens fast. Xanax has a relatively short half life and depedency issues do occur where you need more and more just to decrease your anxiety. Getting off of xanax is hell itself. I don't know how much damage the prolonged use of ecstasy has caused you cognitively, but prolonged use of xanax will cause more damage to your cognitive functioning over time. It doesn't matter whether or not you are taking xanax as prescribed: your body becomes dependent on it and it's the very devil itself stop xanax. You cannot just quit taking it one day: xanax and other benzodiazapines can cause seizures and even kill you. Do not go around pronouncing medications "safe" because they are prescribed and "if you take them as prescribed" you have no worries: this is false. There are docs out there still, today, who will tell you that xanax is non-addicting and they are wrong.
    Your best bet is to fess up with a good neurologist and work through cognitive behavior therapies to get your life back: because taking xanax by the boatload as you are will do nothing for you long term.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Last edited by iloerose; 03-22-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillyKoz123456 View Post
    hmmm im prescribed to 2mg x4 daily and its saved my life....after 10 years of abusing ecstasy every weekend it made my anxiety so bad i quit my job after 6 years making 80,000 and ended up sittin in my room for 2 years. I take all 8 mg a day and its amazing, I got my job back, family life is better, life in general is better. So dont listen to some BS that somebody just read about while jackin off. Listen to your body, I know it can be addicting, but thast why you take it as prescribed and youll be fine. I also like the slowness cuz i have adhd and usually im talking a mile a minute and wont shut up and now im calm and collective. I love xanax
    I truly sympathize with people who suffer from real anxiety, having dealt with it myself. It's terrible to live with constant panic and fear. However, benzos (especially Xanax) were never meant to be used long term because they're extremely addictive, hell to come off of, and can actually cause rebound anxiety after a period of extended use. Xanax is meant for short term acute anxiety due to certain traumatic events like the death of a spouse/family member/friend and other specific traumatic life events.

Your comment about "don't listen to some BS that someone read online while jackin' off.." (really?!) was very rude and unnecessary. You have no grounds to talk like that. Sounds like you're either in denial about how dangerous Xanax is or you simply don't care.

I have a friend who used Xanax as prescribed for less than 1.5 years. She took 3 mg per day. I was literally horrified to see the withdrawal she went through. It was downright awful, despite the fact that she tapered her dose down for about a month before quitting.

I understand there are temporary situations where benzos are needed. However, it's a fact that there have been numerous studies about learning to deal with and eliminate anxiety through certain types of therapy -- especially cognitive behavioral therapy. CBT teaches the patient better thought patterns and behaviors, among other things. Obviously, the upside of such therapy is that the patient learns how to deal with anxiety, rather than masking it with a highly addictive, dangerous drug like Xanax.

Kat