xanax-what's the alternative?
    supergirl66 is offline New Member

Question xanax-what's the alternative?

Hi

I've been on antidepressants for about 10 years, and aside from being addicted to painkillers and am now on suboxone, I've also been taking xanax this whole time. I go from 10 mgs and then somehow I'm up to 20 mgs a day. I'm really not abusing them...I'm just constantly nervous to the point where I can't move...I've almost been in a catatonic state. One day I hadn't taken any and there was something boiling on the stove and I smelled fire but I couldn't move. It was like an out of body experience but not in a good way. That was when I started taking them all the time. Then I was getting headaches so I started taking fioricet which made me calm inside but my mind used to race like crazy. Of course, I loved them and took them until I was sick all the time. So on one of these few days while I was sick, I was so weak I hadn't gotten up and hadn't taken xanax. My eyelids were fluttering , which had happened before and by the time I realized I needed xanax, I had a seizure. Well, two, I'm told. I don't remember anything. They did all these stupid tests at the hospital when it was obvious I had a seizure from lack of xanax-which I did tell them...but at that point, no one believed a word that I said. Two days later, when I got home from the hospital, I couldn't remember the simplest things. Now it's 2 years later and I'm still on xanax but can barely remember the smallest things. I forget peoples name that I work with. I forget the small things-nothing major but I usually have to be told something twice or I write it down to remember. But in every other area, I'm fine. I'm learning to speak Russian which isn't easy and I remember that. I feel like that commercial that I always thought was stupid with the egg and it being on drugs- my brain sizzling. My tolerance for all drugs is high so what a normal person would take, I take double. I even take 4 motrins and barely feel any sort of pain go away. But all my life, I've been anxious, to the point of not leaving the house and bribing people to go to the store for me. So without xanax, how could I live? Is there anything else for anxiety (and don't say an antidepressant because that's just not true). Do I really have to live my life working to pay for xanax, but then without xanax I wouldn't be at work..I'd be under the covers freaking out.
    A part of me hates xanax. It's definitely not my drug of choice...I just can't function without it. I wanted to try ritalin because I have all those symptoms of ADD, too and maybe it will wake my brain up a bit. Even if my doctor agreed and gave me ritalin, I'd be afraid my heart would start beating too fast. A pot of coffee does that.
    I really didn't plan or writing all this but once I start, I don't stop. So if anybody knows of something like xanax with no bad side affects, I thank you in advance for reading my rambles.
    supergirl66

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

What is it about the Xanax that makes you want to quit it?
    Mike VG

I don't want to stop taking xanax. They work but the amount I take keeps going up because I get used to them. I thought maybe someone knew of a medication like xanax but not addictive, if that's even possible. I heard some people take klonidine but I never thought that worked. For example, right now I woke up after falling asleep watching a movie and I'm wide awake and depressed. I know if I take xanax I'll feel better but then the amount I've taken for the day will be more than usual. Taking extra suboxone takes away the depression too but then I'll really be in trouble because I'm already on a high dose of suboxone plus my doctor trusts me with it and he's cool. I don't want to tell him I screwed up.
    I'm probably getting off the thread topic- I don't really know how that goes, but when I'm depressed, I want to do anything to make that feeling go away. It's horrible and I'm already on the highest dose of zoloft. A lot of good that does.
    So I guess I'm taking xanax right now. It's the least destructive way.

Junkie781 is offline Member

Most of the "benzos" like Xanax and Valium, from what I understand, are HIGHLY addictive.

They ARE. But I know someone who has been taking 0.25mg of Xanax for going on 20 yrs. No deviation from that dose and it works for her. She has a highly addictive personality as well. I guess there are some people who like the euphoria of their drug(s) of choice and just want to keep going with it, and than there are others who recognize that that's it. That's what I need. That's enough. Most of the members on this board are in the first group. When it comes down to it it's all about choices: what kind of car I like, what kind of cigarettes I smoke, What i like to eat, What knd of woman/man I like, What kind of clothes I wear, What kind of incense I like, What kind of drug(s) I like to get high on, etc... Do I believe in God or not? I don't mean to preach. It's all about choices. So supergirl, all the love in the world to you--and no disrespect. Figure yourself out. That sounds too simple but everything is about choices, and the choices we make. It's a fact. And sometimes the choices we make have long-term effects. God's Blessings on you-all of you, and I hope you take care of you.
    Mike VG
    Mike VG

Mike,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I always used to say I didn't care if painkillers killed my kidneys or liver because I don't want to live long anyway. And now that I don't take them, no harm has been done but I think about dialysis and how that wouldn't have been a great way to die. I looked up your profile and saw you were in the navy or associated with it and somehow that makes you a better person in my mind so your advice is greatly appreciated. I'm impulsive and when I do have to think and make a decision, it's always wrong. Nothing good ever comes out of it. Five years later when I look back, it's too late to change it and I drive myself crazy thinking of what I should have done instead. Not just drug related decisions...really pretty simple ones that people take for granted. And I'm always told you can't go back but it's like time is my enemy. I could go on and on about my views of time...the song 'Time' from Pink Floyd..I feel like I could have written it.
    But the doctor I get suboxone from is very nice and he says he sees changes in me from when I started seeing him, so maybe there is hope.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. And in a helpful way, too.

You're welcome supergirl. I hope that they can help you there, and enough with kickin yourself, and feeling bad about your mistakes and your wrong choices, because we all make them. You are somebody, you were (your soul) are very precious to God and you are worthy of His attention and His help. Take a good hard look at yourself when the time comes, beat yourself up with your words,yell at God get it all out. And then don't let the old supergirl get in your way. See yourself as a new person, and worthy to you.We're only given so much time, I don't know how old you are, I'm 46, I feel like 2000, but time flies by and then it's like"What happened" what did I do with my life. Anyway, I'm ramblin. You are precious, don't ever forget that.
    Mike VG
    Mike VG

mbales5459 is offline Junior Member

Default Xanax, PLEASE READ!!!!!

Dear Panic Attack,
    Sweetie you are in serious trouble and need some proffessional help immediately because of the high dosage of Xanax that your taking. Any of the Benzodiazepenes like Xanax at the dosage your taking will cause severe depletion of all the natural hormones and dopamine, norephenphrine and seratonin in your brain. I am truly amazed that you have survived this long without having more seizures sooner than you did. Yes there are other medicines and from what you say, we need to talk about certain phobias that you might have that are underlying disease causing you to feel such anxiety that you can't leave your own house. I do know how you feel because when I used to use Cocaine it would rob my brain of the necessary seratonnin that is required to keep the mind from racing a thousand miles an hour. Also you might be bi-polar with your anxiety and your "racing thoughts" When you said that antidepressants don't work that is probably not true because of two reasons. First of all most of the new medicine are in a group called tricyclics and work on the amount of seratonin, dopamine and other brain enzymes but if you don't give them up to 3 months to start working then they won't work at all. The first thing you need to do is to go see your doctor and tell him the truth about the amount of Xanax your taking and also where are you getting so much of the drug you need to stop that immediately no matter what this is about life or death, this drug will stop your heart and your lungs and will shut down your central nervous system just as fast as any painkiller if not faster. Benzo's are notorious for addiction and you picked a really powerful medicine to get hooked on. You need to start a regimented program whereby you take less and less of the drug over a 6 to 12 month period not something any faster than that, it would be to dangerous, and don't let a doctor tell you otherwise. You will need some kind of replacement antidepressant however, we need to work on finding out exactly what the underlying issues or illness might be. I have a feeling that your hiding things from everyone including yourself and without knowing more about you there is no way anyone can help. Please Please seek out professional medical advice and counseling as soon as possible. As always I am here to help anytime of the day or night I usually check my email about 30 times a day even late at night and very early in the morning so please feel free to write me and I can help you I know I can. My email address is mbales5459@aol.com
    Please get help and take care of yourself, I look forward to hearing from you

Any advice given by this person is strictly from his own experience and is not medical advice from a medical background but from real experience with every drug there is.
    Sincerely,
    Mark

mbales5459 is offline Junior Member

Default your story

Mike,
    I am putting together a book trying to get a "chronic care" "Pain Addiction" bibile written and you are very expereinced like myself. I am a couple of years older than you and we have alot of the same stories, would you please write me your story so that I can put in it my book. I can either use your real name or I can use a ficticious name after the book gets published. I would greatly appreciate your story
    Sincerely,
    Mark

designforlife is offline New Member

Default XXXanax

Yes, you are in trouble, but not irredeemable. I was put on Xanax when I was on Interferon. I found it to be a miracle drug at first. As I am a naturally anxious person, it was great because previously, I used opiates to deal with my anxiety. I came off the Interferon and stayed on the Xanax. After a few months, I noticed I couldn't remember what I had said five minutes ago... I am a university graduate, and tried to get back into study since my life had somewhat returned to "normal". I couldn't read a page in a book, I couldn't remember one thing to another. I have since stopped taking Xanax altogether and am not using any meds. My anxiety has not been a problem. I am starting to regain my sharp mind and memory; I am feeling so much better in every respect - depression included - and have left behind that heavy feeling I now realise was caused by the Xanax.

I thought benzos were the answer to all my problems... I couldn't go anywhere without a card in my bag. I sincerely think you're anxiety is more induced by your Xanax use than your natural anxiety, for when you don't have your hands on Xanax... what happen? Anxiety sets in through fear of not having some in your system...

Feel free to contact me: designforlife@mindless.com

Good luck and beat the X or else it will beat the hell out of you.

I never thought it would happen to me, but it did, and I've done some serious drug abuse in the past, but nothing compares to losing your mind on Xanax!

jewlez is offline New Member

Have you tried any of the longer acting benzodiazapines? Any changes you make should be cleared with your doctor - you are at a serious risk of further seizures with those kinds of doses.

The memory issues are a pretty common side-effect. Rohypnol (roofies) became so associated with them that they took it off the market in the US (the "date rape drug") but I've seen the same problems occur for anyone taking large doses of xanax (and for some people even small doses).

I'm in no position to judge whether or not you need a benzodiazapine in general. There are other things you can try but to be honest a lot of people don't find that they work well enough. Right now you are definitely physically dependant, and if you cut down or withdraw from it (medically supervised for safety!) you'll get some rebound anxiety. You may always need some xanax for breakthrough panic, but the daily buzzing level of anxiety may be better controlled (with fewer side effects) using a medicine that's longer acting and doesn't spike you up as high.

I personally experienced a lot of rebound anxiety with a single dose of xanax. I'd half joke that they did a better job of relieving anxiety when they were just in my pocket. That way I'd know that if I started to flip out I could do something about it, and since anxiety about anxiety is one of the worst feedback loops for me that's often enough.

webnician is offline New Member

Default Non Prescription Xanax Alternatives

There are a couple non prescription alternatives that may be available for you to research.

Benzanax from Hi Tech Pharmaceuticals
    Zanaprin from Lazarus Labs

allgetfree is offline New Member

Default Lazarus Labs Zanaprin

I would definitely refer Lazarus Labs Zanaprin as apparently Benzanax is being advertised but is not even manufactured yet by Hi Tech. I have only been taking Zanaprin about a week now but I definitely remain calmer for long periods of time since taking it. I feel a slight wave of Euphoria about 15 minutes after taking it and then I'm focused and remain "cool" and calm the rest of the day. Although it is not prescribed it is apparently in the same Benzo class as Xanax and that to me is good as I am embarrassed to go to the doctor. I'm thoroughly satisfied and it is not addictive to boot! The pills even look like "bars" like the prescribed meds!

Intruder1500 is offline New Member

The xanax has been a godsend for me. I have been on 1mg pills for over a year and I can tell you life is much better. I have to take them for sleep. Problem is, getting to sleep. When I lay down, my mind goes 100mph. the X helps my mind slow down enough to fall asleep. However, I am VERY dependant on the X now. If I run out and forget to refill my Rx, I can not go to sleep at all, no matter what else I take. But I have been on it for a year with no increase in mg....I wish I could find something that does the same thing as X, what the attraction to me for it is the speed in wich it works. 1mg 15 minutes peioe to bed, and I am out! I have tried all the prescription sleeping pills and they did nothing but make me really tired but my mind wouldnt let me sleep.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder1500 View Post
    The xanax has been a godsend for me. I have been on 1mg pills for over a year and I can tell you life is much better. I have to take them for sleep. Problem is, getting to sleep. When I lay down, my mind goes 100mph. the X helps my mind slow down enough to fall asleep. However, I am VERY dependant on the X now. If I run out and forget to refill my Rx, I can not go to sleep at all, no matter what else I take. But I have been on it for a year with no increase in mg....I wish I could find something that does the same thing as X, what the attraction to me for it is the speed in wich it works. 1mg 15 minutes peioe to bed, and I am out! I have tried all the prescription sleeping pills and they did nothing but make me really tired but my mind wouldnt let me sleep.
    Dear Intruder,

I just wanted to pass on a link to a website about benzodiazepenes, such as xanax, to help you to better understand its risks: http://www.benzo.org.uk/index.htm Dr. Ashton (the doctor behind the site) is highly reputed on this topic.

One of the many dangers of xanax is that, over time, it actually backfires on patients. Rather than relieving anxiety, it actually produces more anxiety - which, generally, triggers the person to take more of it, to relieve the additional symptoms. Thus, folks get pulled into a "catch 22" situation of needing the very drug that is causing much of their problems.

God bless,
    Ruth

Anonymous Guest

Default xanax and seizures

Good morning. i've been following this site for a week now and would like to add my 2 cents for what its worth, Long story short, been a user for 40 years,albeit a highly functioning one. was very comfortable in my lifelong nod til my grandkids came along last year.I can't tell you how low it made me feel when my daughters told me that they would never leave the grandkids alone with me. That week i drove myself to an impatient detox center to detox off 39mgs of methadone,15 norcos,9 xanax , and soma. yea, that was my daily routine.needless to say it was going to be a tough kick. well, on the second day,during the trainspotting phase,I crawled up to the dosing window and started to seize. Turns out the center was not really equipped to deal with multiple dependencies ( they had me on methadone and small amount of phenobarbital.)so after a trip to emergency and 2 days in hospital back to treatment center. My stay was 12 days and i knew i couldn't stay clean on the natch so i started on suboxene. I started on 8mgs 2 weeks ago and and down to 4 now and doing better every day. As far as the anxiety, no sleep and cramped muscles,I found Trazadone works great. Message is, don't ever try to quit xanax without some sort of medical supervision. Please check with your doctor before starting or quiting any medication.Remember "BUY THE TICKET TAKE THE RIDE" hst

HerbalZenX is offline New Member

Default Just like Xanax

I found it! There's a pill called xxxx, I guess the name says everything. I tried it and wow just like the real stuff. I have been taking xxxx for a few years now and i love it. xxxxs cheaper and all natural herbs compressed to a pill that looks exact to the real xanax. I guess you have to try it for your self because I love this stuff and some say it knocked em out. I also was told that if you drink with it you'll black out, the good thing is I don't really drink.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-31-2013 at 03:59 PM.

cheublawm is offline New Member

Hi everyone.

I've only just finished reading this thread and although it is several years old now, I thought it still merits a response as it is a subject that I am all too familiar with and maybe my comments can help someone at some stage also.
    To keep it brief, I'm a British Citizen who has been living in Thailand for many years and I have been taking prescribed methadone and alprazolam for many years via the governments drug addiction / recovery program.'

When I returned for a 6 month period to the UK and went to see my GP and was surprised how difficult it is to get a benzodiazepine prescription. I was told by my GP that xanax (alprazolam) it is not available on the NHS in the UK, and at that time I was taking between 6-8mg xanax per day (1mg tablets).

This was a shock, especially to someone who suffers from stress and anxiety everyday! After some discussion and negotiation with my GP, I was prescribed offered either diazepam or lorazepam as the only alternative (or nothing at all), so I initially chose lorazepam but after 1 week taking them, realised that they were no serious alternative and didn't stop my withdrawals from xanax. Maybe if I had been given a really high dose then this would have worked but the doctor was not prepared to give me anywhere near that amount. So I immediately transferred over to diazepam instead out of desperation. I received 50mg daily (5x10mg) but the effects of diazepam compared with xanax are much different and so I had to suffer for 2-3 weeks as by body was adjusting.
    The point that I am wanting to make is that diazepam have a much milder sedative effect than xanax and whereas I found xanax much better for relieving mental anxiety and panic attacks as well as having some anti-depressent effect on me, diazepam are very mild and have less an effect on relieving stress and anxiety, rather have muscle relaxing qualities that slow down the whole body, not just the mind. and as they are slow release long lasting, they effect builds up slowly over time so that I fellt physically tired and lethargic all the time but would still have mental panic isssues. They also make me feel terrible when I wake up feeling drowsy and makes the process of getting up and active in the morning a slow and arduous task.
    My experience quitting both diazepam and xanax very different, with xanax giving me migraines for just under a week before feeling much better, however diazepam withdrawal was a real disaster and I had shakes and tremors for around 3 weeks.
    I understand that all drugs have different effects on different people and depend on several factors, but from my experience, I really do not like taking diazepam and find that they have few positive effects on me but have major negative effects regarding withdrawal. In hindsight and more knowledge I would strongly advise taking lorazepam over diazepam as a xanax replacement therefore.
    I would like to make one final point and give my opinion on common question raised by many regarding what is the best alternative/replacement/substitute. I personally recommend changing over to, or at least consulting your Doctor about OLANZAPINE. I say this as they are not in the benzodiazepine group but have very good calming / sedative effects and according to many sources are not physically addictive. As per dose, please get prper medical advice but I felt that 1 x 7.5mg olanzapine = 1 x 1mg xanax. Good luck with whatever course you adopt.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I hope people see how xanax has been banned in some countries. This is a dangerous medication. 6-8mg is a very high dose and I'm surprised any doctor prescribed that amount of xanax. Benzo are hard to come off of no matter what you take and I recommend none. There are other ways of dealing with anxiety and depression. Olanzapine is Zyprexa in the US and anyone considering taking meds for anxiety, should really discuss with a doctor long term effects and short term use only. All these medications mess with your head. All are hard to come off of in the end. It is downright dangerous to stop xanax or any other benzodizapine c/t as that can cause seizures and even death.

Peace,

Iloerose