Xanax vs. Lorazepam???
    leelee is offline Member

Question Xanax vs. Lorazepam???

I was recently changed from 1 MG Xanax (taking 3 times a day)
    TO
    Lorazepam 1 MG (taking those 3 times a day)
    is this equal to Xanax 1 MG? Or a better choice than the Xanaxs in the long run??
    Please,can someone help explain this to m?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

They are comparable doses. The lorazepam has a little longer half life than the xanax and the effects of lorazepam last a little longer than the xanax. The lorazepam would be a little better for anxiety and the xanax would be a little better for actual panic attacks. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

leelee is offline Member

Question Confused..?

The pharmacist told me that the 1 MG Xanax are the SAME as the 1MG Lorazepam...but it doesn't feel the same....?
    What is the difference? I asked something similar in another post,but I'm still confused.
    ANY for your help,btw.

Bobbi1969 is offline Junior Member

Default they are in the same family

Ativan (Lorazepam ) and Xanax (alaprolazam) are in the benzodizapine family. They both are used to treat anxiety and the such. Xanax comes in hard and fast and leaves pretty quickly. Ativan comes on a bit slower and and eases in and stays around longer than the xanax. So if a person is trying to control generalized anxiety then ativan is the better med. If a person is having acute panic attacks then xanax would probably be the better med because it hits the system a bit faster and harder.
    The difference in the way you feel is simply the different nuances of the meds. It's been my experience that ativan doesnt give you that floaty, high kinda feeling right off the bat. However , it is an excellent med for its purpose.

leelee is offline Member

Thumbs up Lorazepam vs Xanax

Thanks so much for helping me understand,by breaking down like that.
    Thank you to the others that commented as well.I appreciate any help I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi1969 View Post
    Ativan (Lorazepam ) and Xanax (alaprolazam) are in the benzodizapine family. They both are used to treat anxiety and the such. Xanax comes in hard and fast and leaves pretty quickly. Ativan comes on a bit slower and and eases in and stays around longer than the xanax. So if a person is trying to control generalized anxiety then ativan is the better med. If a person is having acute panic attacks then xanax would probably be the better med because it hits the system a bit faster and harder.
    The difference in the way you feel is simply the different nuances of the meds. It's been my experience that ativan doesnt give you that floaty, high kinda feeling right off the bat. However , it is an excellent med for its purpose.

CareBear84 is offline New Member

I was taking 1 mg of Xanax 3 to 4 times a day for about 2 years...the first couple of months were fine-it worked like it was supposed to. then I started to feel like I never had enough I came to the conclusion I was immune to it so I would just start taking more and more of it to try to get the same effect. but it never worked nothing like that first couple of months I was on it. So then I just kept taken more and more and more and nothing... Everyone states its a very addictive drug and I was full blown addicted to it (not even getting anymore effect from it-so I just thought ill just keep taking more and more to get back there but that never worked) and i didn't even realize it...all I wanted was to feel normal, feel that first original feeling I had when I started my Xanax. The thing with me tho I just point blank stopped it right on the spot. it wasn't working. I didn't experience any side effects or withdrawal.

Im now on Lorazpem and I LOVE it....we all know everyone wants some kind of high/feeling from it and I get this all from Lorazpem makes me feel a little goofy but a happy goof with no worries and I love it. Xanax didn't do that at all just put me in never never land every day. I abused Xanax and I don't have to with this drug. By far the best I have been on and its a lot trust me-I am still taking two other meds for depression and OCD.

Just over all im doing much better with these 3 (including the lorazepam) then I have even been with the others (Xanax)-I know I rambled on and im sorry but I hope this helps some....

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CareBear84 View Post
    I was taking 1 mg of Xanax 3 to 4 times a day for about 2 years...the first couple of months were fine-it worked like it was supposed to. then I started to feel like I never had enough I came to the conclusion I was immune to it so I would just start taking more and more of it to try to get the same effect. but it never worked nothing like that first couple of months I was on it. So then I just kept taken more and more and more and nothing... Everyone states its a very addictive drug and I was full blown addicted to it (not even getting anymore effect from it-so I just thought ill just keep taking more and more to get back there but that never worked) and i didn't even realize it...all I wanted was to feel normal, feel that first original feeling I had when I started my Xanax. The thing with me tho I just point blank stopped it right on the spot. it wasn't working. I didn't experience any side effects or withdrawal.

Im now on Lorazpem and I LOVE it....we all know everyone wants some kind of high/feeling from it and I get this all from Lorazpem makes me feel a little goofy but a happy goof with no worries and I love it. Xanax didn't do that at all just put me in never never land every day. I abused Xanax and I don't have to with this drug. By far the best I have been on and its a lot trust me-I am still taking two other meds for depression and OCD.

Just over all im doing much better with these 3 (including the lorazepam) then I have even been with the others (Xanax)-I know I rambled on and im sorry but I hope this helps some....
    Dear CareBear,

You're playing with some very serious, potentially dangerous drugs. These are drugs that quickly lend themselves to physical and psychological addiction. If you've already been addicted to one, you are not "safe" taking another. That's just the nature of addiction.

Stopping either of these drugs abruptly is one of the few withdrawals that can lead to seizures or death. This is not a risk to take lightly.

These drugs have not been evaluated for long-term use. They are not intended for day-to-day life's stressors; they are intended for crisis anxiety situations, for 4 weeks or less.

These drugs are numbing your emotions. That means it's numbing both joy and pain; this is an unhealthy crutch to use to deal with anxiety. There are countless other ways to handle anxiety that do not involve such dangerous, addictive medications.

Benzodiazepenes (both Xanax and Ativan) slow your respiration and anesthetize your nervous system. Your responses are delayed. Your breathing is affected. If you take more - or take it with another narcotic - you can drift from drugged high to sleep and to a coma all too easily. Generally, many of the drug overdoses you hear about involve one of these benzo drugs and a narcotic.

By the way, the reason the effect of xanax lessened is called "tolerance." Our bodies adjust to the presence of the drug, and it loses its effectiveness. The same thing will happen with the lorazepam, as you body learns tolerance from it. If you continue, you'll be chasing this high again and again.

Naturally, you are free to do as you please - just know the risks, and think twice before you suggest this drug regimen to anyone else. We do not advise people of how to feel high on this forum.

God bless,
    Ruth

caring4me is offline New Member

Unhappy caring4me

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    Dear CareBear,

You're playing with some very serious, potentially dangerous drugs. These are drugs that quickly lend themselves to physical and psychological addiction. If you've already been addicted to one, you are not "safe" taking another. That's just the nature of addiction.

Stopping either of these drugs abruptly is one of the few withdrawals that can lead to seizures or death. This is not a risk to take lightly.

These drugs have not been evaluated for long-term use. They are not intended for day-to-day life's stressors; they are intended for crisis anxiety situations, for 4 weeks or less.

These drugs are numbing your emotions. That means it's numbing both joy and pain; this is an unhealthy crutch to use to deal with anxiety. There are countless other ways to handle anxiety that do not involve such dangerous, addictive medications.

Benzodiazepenes (both Xanax and Ativan) slow your respiration and anesthetize your nervous system. Your responses are delayed. Your breathing is affected. If you take more - or take it with another narcotic - you can drift from drugged high to sleep and to a coma all too easily. Generally, many of the drug overdoses you hear about involve one of these benzo drugs and a narcotic.

By the way, the reason the effect of xanax lessened is called "tolerance." Our bodies adjust to the presence of the drug, and it loses its effectiveness. The same thing will happen with the lorazepam, as you body learns tolerance from it. If you continue, you'll be chasing this high again and again.

Naturally, you are free to do as you please - just know the risks, and think twice before you suggest this drug regimen to anyone else. We do not advise people of how to feel high on this forum.

God bless,
    Ruth
    I decided I was going to help myself by quitting, cold turkey, a "cocktail" of prescriptions for Depression, Anxiety, and Adult ADHD. A day later I was in the Emergency Room being monitored by some various serious and concerned medical staff. My blood pressure was so high, I could have had a stroke. My pulse was 120. I was experiencing severe withdrawals. I have never felt so horrible in my life.

Do not try to play doctor with your prescriptions. There is a reason that they are controlled via prescription. The possibility of serious damage or death is very real.

Take care of yourself....