xanax vs. clonopin
    ORANGEAND2 is offline New Member

Default xanax vs. clonopin

does anyone know which is stronger and/or better for anxiety/panic-- xanax or clonopin? the only thing i have really noticed is clonopin lasts longer and is more sedating. i been on xanax for years,but at times when i run out of xanax,i take clonopin until i get my xanax refilled.i totally hate the fear of running out, whether it be u'r own fault or not. you know--thanks for any comments

Pink Freud is offline New Member

Default Xanax vs. Klonopin

Both drugs are in a bass called benzodiazepines, which work on the neurotransmitter called GABA. Many psychiatrists do not like prescribing Xanax (alprazolam), because of the potential for abuse, dependence or addiction. Xanax has a fast onset, which is the main reason most people can "feel" it working. Because it has a relatively short half-life, i.e., the average time it takes the body to eliminate half of the dose taken), when people miss a dose, they feel it. The perception of a Xanax "buzz", combined with the short half-life, can contribute to the aforementioned problems.

Klonopin (clonazepam) has a much longer half life and in doses of one to two mg twice a day, can effectively control panic. Because of the slower onset, people typically don't report feeling a buzz. When individuals are taken off of Xanax (alprazolam), they are normally given a Klonopin or Ativan (lorazepam) taper. (Ativan also has a longer half life, though not as long as klonopin.) This lessens the discomfort associated with stopping the drug suddenly and can help prevent seizures, which can occur when stopping high doses suddenly.

All this being said, in my opinion, most people find Xanax to be more effective, though as mentioned, there are increased risks for abuse, addiction and dependence.

First of all, are you seeing a general practitioner or a psychiatrist? I would only recommend seeing a shrink. After all, you wouldn't let a food doctor operate on your heart, right? Let the brain doctor treat the brain.

Second, have you been tried on an FDA approved drug for panic. These include two classes of medications: SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants). They include:

SSRIs: Paxil, Prozac (fluoxetine), Zoloft (sertraline) and Luvox (fluvoxamine).
    TCAs: Elavil (amitriptyline, Norpramin (desipramine), Pamelor (nortryptiline) and Tofranil (imipramine).

Another drug, Nardil, has approval, but there are significant risks associated with the medication.

Many psychiatrists don't dose antidepressants high enough to achieve remission (i.e.,the absence of symptoms).

If two trials on separate SSRIs (in a high enough dose and for at least twelve weeks each) don't work, TCAs can be tried. You complained of sedation, though and TCAs are generally perceived of as more sedating.

However, if you partially respond to an SSRI, it can be augmented with another drug, such as Buspar (buspirone) or Wellbutrin (bupropion). This may (or may not) enhance the main drug's effect.

Trials on non-approved medications for panic may help. These might include Celexa (citalopram), Lexapro (Escitalopram) or Remeron (Mirtazapine). Both Celexa and Lexapro are highly potent SSRIs (They have the greatest affinity of the SSRIs for blocking serotonin reuptake). Remeron is a tetracyclic antidepressant and is usually very sedating, so keep this in mind.

Have you asked your doc why he or she wants to take you off of Xanax? He or she may have a concern that is unfounded.

Hope this helps,

Chris

dr_pink_freud@live.com

P.S. I'm not an M.D. or a D.O. I have my doctorate in psychology. Psychopharmacology just happens to be a niche area of knowledge for me due to study.