xanax addiction scared
    jjj810jjj is offline New Member

Default xanax addiction scared

I am addictied to xanax.. been taking it for about like 3 years and now i HAVE to take .5 like two to three times a day just to funtion and sleep if i dont dhat i have enourmous chest pains and panic attacks sweats its crazy.. been to the hospital throw up everything.. i need them.. i have registered for rehab on monday in florida.. should i do this its a 30 day program there intreatment.. im afraid if i go there it wont help because im soo addictied i feel like.. can someone please help me .. the big problem is i just started to ween myself off last week i guess too fast to .17mg a day from .5 about 2 to 3 times cuz i dont want to be on this stupid drug.. i need help.. are those pains from the xanax panic? i don tknow please hepl before tommorrow morning!

vduda is offline Member

I was on 40 to 50 mg of Xanax a day for many many years. Went through Detox 5 months ago. I went for my opiate addiction (3,500 mg a day). Been clean from opiates 5 months. As for the Xanax went pretty much "Cold Turkey". Had over 120 seizures. Thought I was going to die. Detoxed 2 years ago and stopped opiates for 3 months, but could not stop the Xanax (seizures, panic attacks, sweating, etc). You know what I mean. Well i lasted 4 and half months this time for the Xanax. Doctor placed me back on again because of Anxiety Disorder. Panick attacks, sweating, stomach pain, INSOMNIA and other sicknesses. He wanted me to take 3 mg a day, but I only take .5 mg before I sleep. You said your down to .17 mg a day. I don't understand. Clarify. The way I look at it if you are taking 1.5 mg a day for a medical reason then its like taking medication for high blood pressure or cholosterol. Or if you have depression taking zoloft. You get my drift. But if you are going to stop your family take doctor can tapper you down with a weaker benzo like Klonopin. But your dose is so low. I take my .5 mg before bed and I can sleep like 5 to 6 hours. No after effects in the morning. The four and a half months I did not take Xanax I was lucky if I got an hour a night. Many times I would go without sleep 3 to 5 days. My health was suffering. I was hallucinating, hearing voices and other crazy ******************** because of sleep deprivation. My blood pressure was spiking. I would have mini seizure and so on. Once I started taking that small dose I started to balance out again. My nerves are shot and I take it for medicinal reasons. At first I felt guilty. But now I can function. Before I was loosing my mind and my Anxiety Disorder was crippling me. It is definitely a quality of life issue. Look up my Thread and replies for details. Also to consider if you do stop talk to your doctor about Dilantin. It is a anti seizure med. It will help and you won't get hooked on it. Hope this helped. God Bless.

lady47sc is offline New Member

Smile

I had been taking Xanax .5 at 3xday for almost 6 years. During this time I can say, I had experienced most of the withdrawal symptoms. I would never take more than the 3 a day. I thought I was going insane. I had the sweats, chest pains and seeing/hearing things. I contacted my doctor to ask if I could come off them because like you I hated being dependent on a drug just to function and even that wasn't doing very good. He said I should be able to come off without any major symptoms. The first 48 hours was murder but once my head became clearer. It gave me the strength to continue and so far, I have been without Xanax for 3 months. I have my good days and bad but overall things don't seem so bad anymore. I'm not saying what worked for me will work for you. Contact your doctor and talk to him/her about coming off them. Bless you on your journey. I know its not an easy one to take.

vduda is offline Member

Hey Lady,

That is great! You are one of the lucky ones. Most people require a tapper or hospitalization. I was prescribed Xanax for an Anxiety Disorder years and years ago. Well it got out of control. I quit for 4 and half months and was still going through major withdrawals along with all the symptoms of Anxiety (sweating, panic attacks, mini-seizures, insomnia, stomach problems and so on). My doctor put me on a low dose of Valium (2 mg at bed time) and because my blood pressure was getting dangerously high. It has stabalized me. I don't crave the benzo, but I depend on it to help with my Anxiety. Everyone is different. Why were you prescribed the Xanax in the first place, if I am not being to forward? God Bless

xine2355 is offline New Member

Default Any advice please

For the past 3 years i have been addicted to xanax, with the amount i have to take daily rising very quickly. at first i just took them every weekend or so, but for the past year and a half i have to take at least 8 mgs a day (sometimes more) just to get up and function. Right when i open my eyes in the morning i feel like im withdrawing and have to reach for my xanax. i also take subutex but have weened down and will no longer take them after next week. as for the xanax i desperatly want to be free of them, but i dont know how, im terrified because im so heavily addicted and i dont know how terrible the withdrawl process will be, or how long the withdrawl process lasts ...??dont know how to go about it.. anything would help, please
    Last edited by xine2355; 03-07-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Al Prazolam is offline New Member

Heya

I understand your problem a bit but I don't understand the 0,17 fully. You take the 0,5mg tablets?

I can speak for you in my own experience with benzo's. A few years ago I had a great depression and doctors gave me anti-depressiva which did make me alot worse. Awhile later I was diagnosed with LLI (low latent inhibition). I found xanax (alprazolam) from friends and I immediatly felt this was the stuff for me so I went to my doctor to prescribe it for me. Which he did. I began with the 0,5mg and 3 times a day. Now alot later while ignoring all those years that I was addicted. I'm on the 2mg tablets, normally 5 times a day (thats 10mg) but I have lots of days I take 10-20 tablest a day (thats 20-40mg). Now I admit I'm addicted which I didn't do before. I also take Lormetazepam 2mg before I get to bed (so I can sleep better). It started with the 2mg Lormetazepam but later on I added the xanax to relax my self so when I go to bed I take 1 Lormetazepam and 2 xanax of 2mg.
    Once I dreamed about eating smarties (candy like m&m's), 18 hours later I woke up and had a very bad taste in my mouth, later on I found my can of 50 alprazolams totally empty (there might have been 30 in the can) So I ate them all in my sleep.

I wish I would have recognized my addiction alot earlier. So this is my advice to you. If I still was on the 0,5 and 3 times a day I know it would be alot easier to quit. In my situation now it's a very hard shot which I'm still concidering over and over cause I don't know what to do. Last week my doctor asked me if I was aware that one day I wouldn't wake up anymore. Cause in medical care over 6mg a day is called an overdose, even though my body is more immune to it. But for example when I go to a party and drink alot, my life will be on a very thin line at that moment.

So I wish you good luck, and I hope you have the strength to stop and don't let it get as far as I did.

grz

(sorry for the bad english my mother tongue is dutch, french and german)
    Last edited by Al Prazolam; 10-16-2011 at 12:25 AM.

antheal is offline New Member

I've been on Xanax since I was 16, now I'm 36. addicted..cleaned.. re addicted ..and so on.
    Sometimes I just wonder if my brain has been really damaged and Xanax a part of my self being.
    Last edited by antheal; 12-20-2011 at 03:54 AM.

zb420 is offline New Member

I was reading this thread. I am although not working at it now, I am a Certified Chemical Dep. Counselor w/ The State of Calif. I got my Cert. in 1995 and it's still active.

I am also addicted to Xanax.

I read this posts about people stopping this drug cold turkey and cringed. YOU CAN DIE DOING THAT ON THIS DRUG from a Gran Mal Seizure. Please don't detox off Xanax that way. You're seriously playing with your life.

I know a lot about addictive drugs and treatment but I have a question? Does this screw with your sleep if your not detoxing? Just wondering. I imagine I could find the answer on Google but I'd rather ask here.

I take about 3 mg a day to 4.

Dx- Anxiety, Chronic.

Anonymous Guest

I don't quite follow the question? If you're detoxing does it mess up your sleep? Absolutely. But eventually it will come back to you. I have done it twice, neither time was fun. But it certainly can be done. Just be warned that the anxiety will seem like it is a lot worse which is because your brain has been accustomed to running a bit slower and not dealing with the anxiety so its like reality has been held back for a while and throws one gigantic sucker punch back at you for surpressing it for so long. And 3-4 mgs is a fairly large dose. But I'm sure you're aware of all of this.

Hope it helped, sorry if I misunderstood your question!

zb420 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al Prazolam View Post
    Heya

I understand your problem a bit but I don't understand the 0,17 fully. You take the 0,5mg tablets?

I can speak for you in my own experience with benzo's. A few years ago I had a great depression and doctors gave me anti-depressiva which did make me alot worse. Awhile later I was diagnosed with LLI (low latent inhibition). I found xanax (alprazolam) from friends and I immediatly felt this was the stuff for me so I went to my doctor to prescribe it for me. Which he did. I began with the 0,5mg and 3 times a day. Now alot later while ignoring all those years that I was addicted. I'm on the 2mg tablets, normally 5 times a day (thats 10mg) but I have lots of days I take 10-20 tablest a day (thats 20-40mg). Now I admit I'm addicted which I didn't do before. I also take Lormetazepam 2mg before I get to bed (so I can sleep better). It started with the 2mg Lormetazepam but later on I added the xanax to relax my self so when I go to bed I take 1 Lormetazepam and 2 xanax of 2mg.
    Once I dreamed about eating smarties (candy like m&m's), 18 hours later I woke up and had a very bad taste in my mouth, later on I found my can of 50 alprazolams totally empty (there might have been 30 in the can) So I ate them all in my sleep.

I wish I would have recognized my addiction alot earlier. So this is my advice to you. If I still was on the 0,5 and 3 times a day I know it would be alot easier to quit. In my situation now it's a very hard shot which I'm still concidering over and over cause I don't know what to do. Last week my doctor asked me if I was aware that one day I wouldn't wake up anymore. Cause in medical care over 6mg a day is called an overdose, even though my body is more immune to it. But for example when I go to a party and drink alot, my life will be on a very thin line at that moment.

So I wish you good luck, and I hope you have the strength to stop and don't let it get as far as I did.

grz

(sorry for the bad english my mother tongue is dutch, french and german)
    Don't appolgize for you English... my Dutch is non-existent.

Al, You do have a lot of Xanax going in you daily. If it's ok I have a could questions?

Are you getting from one doctor or several? Ten tabs is 300 a month if you take only 10, I am pretty sure you are taking more that that.
    Your M.D. is right, he is also NOT DOING HIS JOB as a M.D. to see you have a problem that he contributed ...but maybe help you deal with it.

This will be a LONG, SLOW detox...it will take many many months if done safely. You stop cold turkey and you will die... no doubt.

I don't know what type of rehabs they have there...but that might be one thing you check out.

This 'might' not be able to be done in your home.

I'm happy to help with info if you want...

Good luck
    zb

mottam is offline Advanced Member

jjj:
    Welcome to the forum.
    Xanax addiction is extremely complex and takes MUCH more than a 30 day rehab to address. I am not a doctor and am not discouraging you from entering rehab. Please question them on just exactly how they plan to get you off of this stuff.
    In addition to my opiate addiction, I too, was heavily dependent upon Xanax.

Robert turned me on to a doctor in the UK named Heather Ashton. Google her and research her work.

Benzodiazepine addiction and recovery is complex and extremely tough. I am not trying to scare you - i just want you to undertsand what you are about to undertake.

Good news - it absolutely can be done. However, from MY personal experience, it takes time - much more time than opiates.

My doc switched me over from Xanax (strong, short acting) to valium (slow acting - longer half life). This way, you do not experience "mini-w/ds" between your doses like you do w/ Xanax.
    It took me 6 months to go from 6 mgs. a day of Xanax, down to 10mgs a day of Valium. Then, the detox process seemed to get even tougher. However, everyone is different...

You can do this - just do your homework. PLEASE - research Dr. Ashton's work. Then, consult w/ you doc.

In the end, you can and will beat this. ANYONE who places a hard and fast deadline for you to be completely withdrawn from benzodiazepines is someone I would be extremely cautiuos and weary to work with.

Best of luck - let us know what you think of Dr. Aston's research once you have read it.

Kindest Regards
    mottam
    Persistency is consistency