Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By TheLateralEye
Wierd Problem
    TheLateralEye is offline New Member

Unhappy Wierd Problem

I've been on Suboxone for over a year and everything has been great. I don't use anymore, I'm happier and getting my life back together after years of addiction but I have a strange problem. I take benadryl a lot to help me sleep so I can be on a good sleep schedule instead of going to sleep at 5-6am and waking up at 1-2 pm. I stopped taking the benadryl because I do want my body to need benadryl for sleep and now I usually don't take it anymore. The weird problem is, on day's when i do take benadrly (1-2 a week) I'll wake up in the middle of the night (which I always do whether I take the benadryl or not) feeling mild withdrawal pains and they'll stay there for about an hour then go away and I can get back to sleep. This only happens when I take benadryl. When I don't take the benadryl I'll wake up throughout the night as always but i'll get right back to sleep because no pain will be there. And now I'm kinda worried because I took benadryl last night and I woke up with the pain as usual and waited for them to go away but they never went away. I took my dose of suboxone this morning (8mg) and they went away mostly but I still feel the like my muscles are very tense and still slightly in pain. This is worrying me and making me wonder if my suboxone isn't working as well as it was (which I've heard happens to a lot of people). So I'm wondering why does this happen when I take benadryl now? I took benadryl every night for months and this never happened. And if it's not withdrawal pain i don't know what it could be because anyone who's gone through opiate withdrawal knows that pain and it's a very specific pain you wont get from anything else and that's the pain I get. It's not usually a big problem because they pain goes a way (which also confuses me) but it seems like it hasn't gone away fully today. Is it possible I've done something to mess up my suboxone? I'm just very confused and worried because suboxone has been so great for my life I don't want it to be ruined. Maybe I'm over reacting but if anyone has any advice or know why this is happening who could enlighten me I'd be very appreciative. Thank you.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateralEye View Post
    I've been on Suboxone for over a year and everything has been great. I don't use anymore, I'm happier and getting my life back together after years of addiction but I have a strange problem. I take benadryl a lot to help me sleep so I can be on a good sleep schedule instead of going to sleep at 5-6am and waking up at 1-2 pm. I stopped taking the benadryl because I do want my body to need benadryl for sleep and now I usually don't take it anymore. The weird problem is, on day's when i do take benadrly (1-2 a week) I'll wake up in the middle of the night (which I always do whether I take the benadryl or not) feeling mild withdrawal pains and they'll stay there for about an hour then go away and I can get back to sleep. This only happens when I take benadryl. When I don't take the benadryl I'll wake up throughout the night as always but i'll get right back to sleep because no pain will be there. And now I'm kinda worried because I took benadryl last night and I woke up with the pain as usual and waited for them to go away but they never went away. I took my dose of suboxone this morning (8mg) and they went away mostly but I still feel the like my muscles are very tense and still slightly in pain. This is worrying me and making me wonder if my suboxone isn't working as well as it was (which I've heard happens to a lot of people). So I'm wondering why does this happen when I take benadryl now? I took benadryl every night for months and this never happened. And if it's not withdrawal pain i don't know what it could be because anyone who's gone through opiate withdrawal knows that pain and it's a very specific pain you wont get from anything else and that's the pain I get. It's not usually a big problem because they pain goes a way (which also confuses me) but it seems like it hasn't gone away fully today. Is it possible I've done something to mess up my suboxone? I'm just very confused and worried because suboxone has been so great for my life I don't want it to be ruined. Maybe I'm over reacting but if anyone has any advice or know why this is happening who could enlighten me I'd be very appreciative. Thank you.

Believe me or not, but your dose is too high and your body is starting to react adversely to it. You are taking entirely too much suboxone and have been on that dose for way too long. If you were tapering down and getting the subs out of your system you would feel better. That is a fact, I've done this for a long time and no one needs to stay on subs at that dose for a year regardless of what your sub dr says. Take the advice for what it's worth to you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Believe me or not, but your dose is too high and your body is starting to react adversely to it. You are taking entirely too much suboxone and have been on that dose for way too long. If you were tapering down and getting the subs out of your system you would feel better. That is a fact, I've done this for a long time and no one needs to stay on subs at that dose for a year regardless of what your sub dr says. Take the advice for what it's worth to you. God bless.
    I've thought that exact thing for a while and I keep bugging my doc to start tapering me down. I might start doing it myself if he doesn't soon, this stuff costs too much.

Anonymous Guest

you dont need to ask your doctor, just do it yourself. and why wait till ''soon'', tomorrow, only take 6mg and see how you feel... ive been where you are.. i know...

and im off subs now for 18months, and its so good to be free........

subs are only a tool, right now you are still addicted to opiates.

I've thought that exact thing for a while and I keep bugging my doc to start tapering me down. I might start doing it myself if he doesn't soon, this stuff costs too much.

Good for you! I'm here and available to help you if I can. Let me know if you need any help. All you have to do is ask! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Have you tapered yourself before? Yeah I would love to get off the sub if you know how let me know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    you dont need to ask your doctor, just do it yourself. and why wait till ''soon'', tomorrow, only take 6mg and see how you feel... ive been where you are.. i know...

and im off subs now for 18months, and its so good to be free........

subs are only a tool, right now you are still addicted to opiates.
    Did you taper yourself? How'd it go cuz i really would like to get off the sub.

Did you taper yourself? How'd it go cuz i really would like to get off the sub.

Cheeky used the same process I used ten years ago. Here is a link to the taper. It works. Read around the forum at all the success stories. You could easily be clean off the subs in sixty days or so. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    MP5 likes this.

Thanks guys I appreciate it a lot. The main reason I haven't started tapering myself is that I've been too afraid that I would mess things up but I'm gonna give this a shot. Thanks again for your input and knowledge on the subject. I'm very happy to know people have been able to get off the sub when they wanted.

One question I have is what should I do when I start to get below 2mg? I am prescribed the films. Should I just cut them or what? Thanks.

One question I have is what should I do when I start to get below 2mg? I am prescribed the films. Should I just cut them or what? Thanks.

You'll continue to cut the films down by 25% reductions every four days or so dependent on your progress at the time. We do all the reductions based on your symptoms like the link I gave you stated. You'll taper all the way down to .25mg or less. Then you can do the day skipping process as explained in the link or you can also taper all the way down to nothing basically. I personally started skipping days from .5mg but over the years we've found that most people need to go a little lower, I was lucky to be able to do that after using 35 years. Lots of people taper down to .125mg and then skip days. Don't worry about the small cuts you'll have to make on the films now. You'll be able to eyeball it closely enough when we get there, don't worry! Just one thing at a time. For now go to 6mg immediately and get off that crazy 8mg so we can get you feeling better asap! You'll see lots of support here. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    You'll continue to cut the films down by 25% reductions every four days or so dependent on your progress at the time. We do all the reductions based on your symptoms like the link I gave you stated. You'll taper all the way down to .25mg or less. Then you can do the day skipping process as explained in the link or you can also taper all the way down to nothing basically. I personally started skipping days from .5mg but over the years we've found that most people need to go a little lower, I was lucky to be able to do that after using 35 years. Lots of people taper down to .125mg and then skip days. Don't worry about the small cuts you'll have to make on the films now. You'll be able to eyeball it closely enough when we get there, don't worry! Just one thing at a time. For now go to 6mg immediately and get off that crazy 8mg so we can get you feeling better asap! You'll see lots of support here. God bless.
    Thanks I'm gonna give this a shot and see how it goes.

I'm a little confused though, it says to taper down .25 every four days. I'm taking 8 mg so does that mean I take 6 mg for four days and then 4.5 mg for four days and then 3.375 mg for four days and so on. This seems like it would be hard to figure out how small of cuts to make. Or am I getting this wrong. Thanks.

I'm a little confused though, it says to taper down .25 every four days. I'm taking 8 mg so does that mean I take 6 mg for four days and then 4.5 mg for four days and then 3.375 mg for four days and so on. This seems like it would be hard to figure out how small of cuts to make. Or am I getting this wrong. Thanks.

It's not that difficult. I'll go through it with you and explain how to make the reductions as you go. Or you can get 2mg films which are totally easy to cut. Don't make a big deal out of figuring how to do it, you can round off those weird numbers. Just do it and I'll help you as you go forward. Main thing is to start! God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-30-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Ok thanks. I actually already have the 2mg films.

Anonymous Guest

yup i tapered myself. the doctor didnt know till i told them i was clean and off.... thats why i kept it simple for you, just go to 6mg, and see how you feel. next stop after that is 4.5mg.....

but go to 6mg immediately, and see how ya go. its pretty simple. dont sweat the small stuff at the moment..

ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member

Hi LI..

here's a pic of (EIGHT) 8mg strips cut
    it begins with being cut in half and showing
    the increments from there..

you can use the 'cutting' as a guideline,
    figuring the dosage in correlation with the 2mg strips you have

wishing you alllll my best!

Classique MoM

Cool thanks.
    ClassiqueMom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    yup i tapered myself. the doctor didnt know till i told them i was clean and off.... thats why i kept it simple for you, just go to 6mg, and see how you feel. next stop after that is 4.5mg.....

but go to 6mg immediately, and see how ya go. its pretty simple. dont sweat the small stuff at the moment..
    For sure, thanks.