why wont dr's give u flu medicine?
    leana is offline Member

Default why wont dr's give u flu medicine?

last nite all of the sudden it hit me! i dont know if i got something from being out shopping,or up visiting the birth of a new baby at the hospital.but last night i got deathly sick.it was coming out of both ends,really! this lasted all thru the night.i couldnt even take a sip of water,without throwing it up.it also felt like my gut was having contractions,and my stomache really hurt.like i said,i couldnt keep any meds,or even a sip of water down at all.today im not throwing up,just gassy,and dont feel good,i know i have the flu.i called my drs office,and the nurse said alot of people have the same thing,its viral she said.i know they have prescription meds they could give you to fight this,but why wont they?i just dont understand.i had to take my daughter to the er last month,she was really sick with the flu,and i had to litterly fight them to give her tamaflu.once she started that,she got better pretty fast.i also seen on the directions that by taking it helps so you cant spread it to other family members.so i dont see why they would not give it to you if you need it.it just doesnt seem right.are we not important enough to have a medicine thats going to make us feel better,and help keep our family healthy?

HenryNCBA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leana View Post
    last nite all of the sudden it hit me! i dont know if i got something from being out shopping,or up visiting the birth of a new baby at the hospital.but last night i got deathly sick.it was coming out of both ends,really! this lasted all thru the night.i couldnt even take a sip of water,without throwing it up.it also felt like my gut was having contractions,and my stomache really hurt.like i said,i couldnt keep any meds,or even a sip of water down at all.today im not throwing up,just gassy,and dont feel good,i know i have the flu.i called my drs office,and the nurse said alot of people have the same thing,its viral she said.i know they have prescription meds they could give you to fight this,but why wont they?i just dont understand.i had to take my daughter to the er last month,she was really sick with the flu,and i had to litterly fight them to give her tamaflu.once she started that,she got better pretty fast.i also seen on the directions that by taking it helps so you cant spread it to other family members.so i dont see why they would not give it to you if you need it.it just doesnt seem right.are we not important enough to have a medicine thats going to make us feel better,and help keep our family healthy?
    Leana,
    I think I can answer your question. First is if you already have a viral infection such as the flu a flu shot is useless. You already have the bug so it is of no use to give you a flu shot. Also it is not recommended to give anyone a flu shot when they have a fever or an infection of any type. You sound like you definitely have a viral infection and about the only thing you can really do now that you have it is to stay home and away from others to prevent the spread of the virus, stay warm and well hydrated, keep your food intake up, get plenty of rest, and take OTC meds to help with the symptoms. Giving you Tamiflu, Relenza or others is useless once the 24 hour mark is past as the meds need time to start working basically so if you are given an antiviral after the infection sets in it is pretty much a waste of time. Your daughter was probably caught in time so the antiviral worked but again once the infection sets in there is not a whole lot you can do except to treat the symptoms and just let it run its course. This is why the flu or influenza virus is so wicked. If it were a bacterial infection and it is bad enough you could be treated with antibiotics but these are useless against viruses and have no effect on them what so ever. You may or may not know this already but the reason there are super bugs developing that even the atom bomb of antibiotics won't work against is because of the over medicating of patients. This meaning that too many people go to the doctors and demand antibiotics for a viral infection which does nothing but the doctor scrips it because the patient insists so what happens is the bacteria in your system develops an immunity to the antibiotic and given enough in time will become resistant which in turn should that person develop an infection from that type of bacteria the chances of fighting it off with antibiotics become that much less. This is another reason why you hear the term "cocktail mix" in hospitals and clinics. This is because certain bacteria have become resistant to certain antibiotics and therefore several other different kinds of antibiotics are needed in conjunction with each other to eradicate the bacterial infection. I know it sucks to have a viral infection. Once you have it though and it has set in there is not a whole lot you can do but to treat the symptoms and let it run its course unfortunately. If you are having liquid come out of both ends you might want some Gatorade or some other sports drink as it contains minerals and other elements that will be rapidly depleted out of your system especially if coming out of both ends. You do have a viral infection as it hit you suddenly which is characteristic of a viral infection. One last thing is antiviral drugs will not prevent you from getting a viral infection. It will help prevent it getting worse but will not stop it cold. It may seem like it but they don't work that way. Once you have it and take the drugs it may shorten the span of the infection and reduce the amount of time being ill but will not stop it cold in its tracks. Your body has to do that part. Current still there is no cure for the common cold or flu. Prevention is still the best medicine.
    Hope you get well soon!

Henry

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Wow, thank you for that post. It was extremely informative. They had a shortage of swine flu vaccine where I live but I was considered in a risk group so I got both flu and swine flu. The doctor said that if a person is basically healthy its in their best interest to just fight it off. I read an article about what you said about overuse of antibiotics but never spoke to anyone who ever heard that. The article claimed that because we took meds for years and years unnecessarily (for virus's where they do nothing anyway) and also never finished the course of treatment (even when antibiotics were called for, most people stop before finishing as soon as they feel better) we have screwed ourselves up and this is why there are now hospital acquired inflections that people die of, flesh eating bacterias, Legionairres outbreaks, etc. Why didnt docs just put their foot down and say NO, YOU DONT NEED THIS. ? Would have been better.
    Leana, bedrest and plenty of fluids, tylenol for fever, you'll be fine.... The last post was genius. Thank you Henry
    NYG