Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By KicknTheAddiction
  • 1 Post By walkintothesunset
  • 2 Post By caughtagain
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
What happens with a large tramadol overdose ?
    jamesL is offline New Member

Default What happens with a large tramadol overdose ?

Would one just fall asleep and pass or would it be violent ?

Large dose = 200 - 50mg tabs

Sorry, but I have to ask why you are asking this question? If you feel like you are going to do such a thing, it's time to check yourself into a psych ward so you can be watched and monitored.
    gonebananas83 likes this.

amanda28 is offline Member

Did you do this to yourself or has a friend done this? I can well imagine it is not safe whatsoever to be in this predicament... and I pray that someone can answer you more definitively- and their answer doesn't include something horrid (though maybe it being something horrid would teach a lesson to the individual in question).

Please... get help- for you or whoever has taken that much tramadol.

This is what drugs.com has to say:
    Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. A tramadol overdose can be fatal.

Other websites say a seizure is likely with a large overdose.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Taking two hundred 50mg trams is going beyond a seizure. That is a suicide attempt, and a serious one at that. You need to check into a psych ward immediately if this is you we're discussing. This person needs to have their stomach pumped immediately and be put into ICU. Or whoever you're discussing needs to be behind locked doors doing something like this. I seriously doubt that they would survive this ordeal. I would pray but don't know who to pray for. God bless and get help immediately.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

jamesL is offline New Member

I just asked if it would be a violent / traumatic thing or would one just passout and die ?

Thanks anyways...........

phoenixfly is offline Member

Default Please don't take this the wrong way...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesL View Post
    I just asked if it would be a violent / traumatic thing or would one just passout and die ?

Thanks anyways...........
    That amount will KILL someone. Please, please, please - if it's you or someone else - get help now. I can't stress this enough - life is worth living. "Theoretical" questions like this scare the Cr^& out of me...I've been there, let us help you.

cowildflower is offline Member

Default stop where you are

I know tramadol very well and certainly this amount of meds will cause massive and irreversible damage. If you don't die (and you most certainly would) you would be left with permanent problems that would only make life harder.

I have been where you are. I truly have. I remember distinctly calling the suicide hotline and the lady told me to 'take a walk' and that I should 'just try to be happy' . . .

People are with you. On this board and elsewhere. It makes no sense to you right now, but try to step back from yourself, take a break from these thought patterns and be present in something else. Read through the forum and try to think of what you would respond to others in your situation. Maybe even try to help. It will help you realize that many people have been right where you are. I always find that when I take the focus off of 'myself' and direct my thought process towards (helping) others it really makes me see things/think about things from another perspective.

I don't mean to imply that your feelings are to be ignored, this is simply a way to make it through this moment. Get through this moment and don't worry about the next. We will be here when you are ready for the next moment.

I care deeply about where you are right now and hope this message speaks to you in even a small way.

peace

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

well said wild flower! Thanks

Sadly it sounds like someone looking for a way to end a life as painlessly as possible

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

James,

Trying to commit suicide with pills is very unpredictable and not worth the risk. The "hope" is that you will just go to sleep, but the reality is often quite hideous. You may end up vomiting violently and repeatedly, as your body tries to reject the poison. You could lie there in your own vomit and feces, barely alive, for days until someone finds you. Then you would end up on life support in a hospital. From there either you "recover" and you are brain-damaged for the rest of your life and a burden on others, or your family has to decide to pull the plug. I have seen this, and I know.

Overdosing on pills is not a peaceful way out. I'm sorry things are so hard for you. I know it's hard for you to understand this right now, but getting yourself to the ER and getting help is going to be less painful in the long run for you and for the people who care about you. Please get yourself to the hospital. They will help you. People care about you, and you can get help. Please check in with us. We want to support you until you can get help.

Maisie

phoenixfly is offline Member

Default Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by MaisieC View Post
    James,

Trying to commit suicide with pills is very unpredictable and not worth the risk. The "hope" is that you will just go to sleep, but the reality is often quite hideous. You may end up vomiting violently and repeatedly, as your body tries to reject the poison. You could lie there in your own vomit and feces, barely alive, for days until someone finds you. Then you would end up on life support in a hospital. From there either you "recover" and you are brain-damaged for the rest of your life and a burden on others, or your family has to decide to pull the plug. I have seen this, and I know.

Overdosing on pills is not a peaceful way out. I'm sorry things are so hard for you. I know it's hard for you to understand this right now, but getting yourself to the ER and getting help is going to be less painful in the long run for you and for the people who care about you. Please get yourself to the hospital. They will help you. People care about you, and you can get help. Please check in with us. We want to support you until you can get help.

Maisie
    Maisie is absolutely right - taking an overdose of pills does not make you "go to sleep" as our confused brains may have it. It's a horrible and ugly thing to undergo - we're all hoping you respond soon. We care and want to help.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

james, you never did say why you asked this question? If your out there can you give a shout out and tell us how your doing??

Locolove is offline New Member

I have taken over 10 Tramadol in the past before, i have not died or needed my stomach pumped. a few times i did it i threw up every few minutes for 6 hours. i hsve felt a weird high feelin and my eyes didnt want to stay open. i have gotten cotton mouth and felt very dizzy. i do not think it is a good idea to do this. i would seek help if i were you. i have in the past. but i only took the large doses because i was in a lot of pain thought it would help it didnt never does, stick to the correct dosage

walkintothesunset is offline New Member

Some good info on the drug. Thanks guys and gals.
    SickOfAllOfThis likes this.

natrium1 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamesL View Post
    Would one just fall asleep and pass or would it be violent ?

Large dose = 200 - 50mg tabs

I don't think it would be violent. The recovery might be violent. Every body reacts differently to each drug. You're taking 200 50 mg pills, but how much of that will actually be absorbed? How much will you throw back up?

I don't think it's an effective way to kill yourself, if that's what you're going for.

I've taken up to 40 50mg pills at once and it didn't knock me out, although my tolerance is very high.

hope that helps

Kit UK is offline Member

I've been heavily addicted to Tramadol and used it for a long time, though I haven't touched in two years.

Taking 40 50mg pills at once is insane, taking 200 is a suicide attempt!!! The most I ever took at once was @ 15 50 mg tablets and that was stupid. Taking over a Gram of the drug in a 24 hour period is asking for a seizure, no matter how high your tolerance.

It's probably what killed Old Dirty B'stard, mind you he was hammering the pipe at the same time.

natrium1 is offline New Member

it was insane. i now have a family member hold on to all my medications. they never give me more than two days worth. so i never have more than 16 tramadol on me.

doctors have to get their heads out of their ass when it comes to tramadol. so many of them call it a non addictive opiod-mimicking drug. it's highly addictive.

well, hell yeah it mimicked opiates. but only better. it acts on seratonergic receptors as well as opiod receptors and i think it also acts on norepinephrine receptors. so it's like being on vicodin and ecstasy. very euphoric. i wish i could afford to get the extended release tramadol. too expensive.

Kit UK is offline Member

The doctors are so, so wrong when they say Tramadol is not addictive. I got fed that ???? as well when first prescribed them for cluster headaches, I got pretty much as many as I wanted. However, before long I needed more than they would give me just to feel normal, so I got a friend in a far eastern country to send me 1000's of the dam things as he could get them OTC for next too nothing. BIG, BIG mistake, I got so hooked on them that I couldn't stop for the life of me, I was basically using them by the handful as an antidepressant because like you say they act on Serotonin receptors and lift mood considerably. In fact Tramadol is closely related (on a chemical level) to Venlafaxine which is prescribed for major depressive disorder as well as anxiety disorders.

The extended release tablets are even more addictive than the normal versions, I was using both and came to prefer the ER tablets by a long shot. If you want to get off the stuff please avoid them.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Tramadol is addicitive and dangerous.... Tramadol=high potential for Seizure= not fun Sincerely, Been there done that.
    Sunny mom and MP5 like this.

anna1984 is offline New Member

Default not good

Quote Originally Posted by natrium1 View Post
    it was insane. i now have a family member hold on to all my medications. they never give me more than two days worth. so i never have more than 16 tramadol on me.

doctors have to get their heads out of their ass when it comes to tramadol. so many of them call it a non addictive opiod-mimicking drug. it's highly addictive.

well, hell yeah it mimicked opiates. but only better. it acts on seratonergic receptors as well as opiod receptors and i think it also acts on norepinephrine receptors. so it's like being on vicodin and ecstasy. very euphoric. i wish i could afford to get the extended release tramadol. too expensive.
    i have te extended release tramadol and there not all they are cracked up to be, unfortunately i have taken an overdose of these accidentally due to having a very aggressive migraine and it was not good, all i could do was sleep sleep sleep and i felt very nauseous it was lucky i didn'thave work that day. please do not try an overdose again or at all. i ended up in a psych ward for 6 months after taking an overdose of 30x 100mg morphine on purpose (~ i have bipolar mania and bipolar depression) my stomach was pumped but left irreversible damage to my liver, stomach and kidneys. if you are thinking about doing this please don't i realise now that all my hurt and pain was nothing compared to what really was going on in the world it made my problems feel insignificant. get help please

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Massive overdose of tramadol?

Seizure(s), vomiting, coma, brain damage, multiple organ damage, cardiac depression. Death is quite uncertain. Permanent damage is highly plausible. If the drug causes liver failure, it will takes weeks to die a horrific, painful death.

Fun, no? No.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 12-20-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Peter

tramadol200 is offline New Member

I've been taking tramadol for the last 2 years for pain. From experience iv had 4g of tramadol in about 3 hours(20x200mgSR). Felt pretty light etc, no throwing up, no passing out. I have found from tramadol though that anything over about 200mg makes sleep quiet difficult if at all. Tramadol is quiet hard to OD on just on it's own generally.

gonebananas83 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by natrium1 View Post

All my doctors would tell me this and I would just secretely laugh at them because they had NO IDEA!! I am now off Tramadol since I recently had my third seizure in two years. Good luck to those who are trying to get off pills!

Anonymous Guest

Default Thanks guys

I was about to overdose on tramadol, but decided not to after reading this thread. I only have 15 x 50 mg and I am too scared I will not die and sustain irreversible damage. I wish it was more easy.
    caughtagain likes this.

Nlili is offline New Member

Default Glad you reconsidered

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I was about to overdose on tramadol, but decided not to after reading this thread. I only have 15 x 50 mg and I am too scared I will not die and sustain irreversible damage. I wish it was more easy.
    I noticed your post just from a few days ago. I've been depressed much of my life, but life is all you've got and believe me, there is sunshine and roses somewhere. Just get out of your situation if it makes you unhappy. Be pragmatic, do your best, love yourself. Believe it or not, you are loved too, even by a stranger like me. People care. We're all in this mess together
    Lets make the best of it!
    Stay positive, believe in your possibilities. Trust me! It WILL get better if you change your reality! So much more out there than what you may be able to see right now, have faith. You have so much to live for and so much to give.
    Hang in there,
    Regards,
    Nlk