• 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By caughtagain
  • 3 Post By ARTIST658
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DETOX?? Please Help
    GOLDA55 is offline Member

Red face WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DETOX?? Please Help

Hi, its me mom & grandma who finally made the decision to go thru detox. I have been tapering down from 120mg percs to 30mg a day of oxycontin, with a drs. help.My family is starting to lose their support for me because with the taper I never know what to expect and I am always shakey and usually end up taking an extra one when I am stressed about something. Anyway I found a place that checks you in through the ER and helps you through detox inpatient, it is a 2 bed room and they help with meth, which I am really AFRAID of. It is a 5 day stay with group support and counseling and hopefully will be covered by my insurance. I decided to wait until after christmas to do this, and continue as I have been until then. Am I hoping for a miracle when I walk out..Yes..to finally be drug free in my body sounds so good..but am I hoping for too much.?: PLEASE, I need to know how it feels to be detoxed after about 2 years of being on pain killers. Will this shaky feeling finally stop...I am finally down to 30 to 40 mg of oxycontin a day (still get shakey) so I am hoping withdrawal wont be too bad...Let me know what you all think..I feel so horrible even talking about detox at my age..help.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Gold.... this is just my two cents, but I would just stick it out instead of getting admitted... Will you still feel WD from that amount. Yes.... BUT>>> after 5 or so days, you will start feeling better and continue to heal as you get clean time. The shakey feeling DOES go away, but remember that you cannot expect to use for those two years and feel better within a few days... We can help you and guide you and answer your questions. I used for many years and just quit Cold Turkey, so it can be done. I was on a lot more than 30mg too. So let us know what we can do to help.... All my best, Reid
    amberwish likes this.

amberwish is offline Member

Wink

Gold, I agree with Reid......you can do this.......and at any age! Your experience can help someone......remember that.
    Good Luck,
    Amber
    caughtagain likes this.

Anonymous Guest

I'm in with the rest.....
    don't check in.
    amberwish likes this.

Anonymous Guest

you said 'meth' im assuming you mean methadone. oh no dont do that. its even harder to get off than the pills. trust me.....
    amberwish likes this.

freedom11 is offline Advanced Member

I agree with cheeky love - methadone isn't a way out of this at all!! It's way harder to get off. I tried to get off >>>>>> with methadone and it took me 6 months to taper down from 50mg to 4mg and I was totally committed to cutting down, was off sick too, but i couldn't get any lower than that so went onto subutex. It's much harder to get off than the pills you are on. I'd be interested to know what dosage of methadone they are planning on starting you on? Might be worth finding out? Or could they help you with cold turky or subs? Google the thomas recipe for supplement support for where you are now anyway. All the best. Love Jay xx
    GOLDA55 likes this.

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Golda,

Your fellow grandma here. Pls don't do the meth route. I have no personal experience with it but have read enough on this board to know it's really a poor choice for someone taking the amount per day that you are. It takes guts to do the cold turkey and in my opinion even more self control to taper (the latter wasn't me for sure!). What I felt after the detox was over, and probaby what most if not all of us feel, is a period of lack of energy. The shakiness is mostly present during detox. I so know that feeling. Shaky hands, wobbly legs, the whole gambit. I'm not sure but some of that just might be (at least for me) that I simply couldn't force myself to eat much,if anything. I tried my best to stay hydrated but even that was a challenge. Most of the shakiness left after those 5 days and I just felt weak. As I started to eat, that got better. Best advice, once again, face the fear and feel the excitement that you are about to embark on life. Good luck.

Peace,

Cat
    GOLDA55 likes this.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

HI Cat!!! Miss talking to you! Hope all is well, Cheers.... Reid

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Hey Reid,

I've been reading your posts all over the place! You are a driving force on this Forum with some of the most incredible advice. Paying it forward now. How awesome is that??? I've been meaning to post to you but I'm always concerned about walking on someone's thread, expecially those at the beginning when they are few folks. Others are giving great advice some of which is the same advice that I would give. Sometimes less is more, yah know?

I was just thinking of starting a new thread of my own just so that I can post back and forth for the oldies like us.

Peace,

Cat
    caughtagain likes this.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Anonymous Guest

Cat and Reid started it....Hey Cat.....been wanting to tell you how much you rock! I usually don't post after you, just push like button. You say it better than I can.
    Marian
    Catrina likes this.

Question Still confused about Detox & Scared of Methodone!

What they said about the Methodone, is that they will give me the amount I need for The amount of Oxy I am on and enough to just keep me comfortable. Since I am only on 30mg to 40 mg of Oxycontin a day I think the amount of Meth they give me will be small. I told them I do not want to come out of the detox addicted to Meth. I would rather suffer with wd in detox center with support and help than do it at home, with my family going crazy with me. Unfortunately, I think I need to get away from the people I love the most in order to detox. I try to hard to be myself and am fighting everything. I hope this makes sense, and I hope I am doing the right thing. The Meth scares me more than the wd since I am hoping they won't be too BAD on only such a small amount of mg. of oxycontin. Will I feel better after detox except for lack of energy. I was never the most motivated and energized person, That is why I liked the way I felt on percocets. PLEASE HELP me with any answers. I am now taking a little more of my oxycontin since I feel I don't want to suffer now, since I will be suffering in Detox after Xmas. Does that make sense...Good Luck to all who are going cold turkey, tapering, or detoxing..

Anonymous Guest

Golda...
    I'm a grandma too, 57 yrs old. I jumped off a high dose of fentanyl.......was hard, but my kids and grandkids are so glad to have me back. I'd been on it for 4 years or more.
    Part of the shakiness is the tapering.....it will go away when you are totally off, promise!
    It's all worth it.
    Methadone scares the heck out of me.
    So hope you don't go that route.
    Take care, good luck........it's worth it!
    Marian
    GOLDA55 likes this.

Thank You my fellow grandma..needed that!! Don't really remember who the real me is anymore, but I know I always felt I needed something to make me feel better that is why the percocets worked for a while...I don't even know if my kids and grandchildren remember the real me..In fact I must admit that I liked the person I became after taking percocets for the first time before the addiction set in than I like the person without it, always tired, lack of motivation, worrying, and not being able to handle stress so well..with percs I became the person I always imagined I can be..Motivated, energetic and so on..what can I do to become that person once I detox without the oxy's. Thank you for your help

Gold.... We all have gone through what you are wondering/feeling. The challenge right now is to let clean time build up and YOU WILL become that person again. Part of the allure of opiates are those fuzzy feelings that we remember. The reality is once you are free and clean of opiates, your motivation will improve and you will start to notice that you are doing more than you ever did on opiates. But the key is to remember that is does take time... How much time is not an easy answer, so just hold on to the hope that it will occur. Hang in there.. All my best, Reid
    freedom11 likes this.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDA55 View Post
    Thank You my fellow grandma..needed that!! Don't really remember who the real me is anymore, but I know I always felt I needed something to make me feel better that is why the percocets worked for a while...I don't even know if my kids and grandchildren remember the real me..In fact I must admit that I liked the person I became after taking percocets for the first time before the addiction set in than I like the person without it, always tired, lack of motivation, worrying, and not being able to handle stress so well..with percs I became the person I always imagined I can be..Motivated, energetic and so on..what can I do to become that person once I detox without the oxy's. Thank you for your help
    Another grandma here, too, Golda! Just wondering - can you go inpatient to detox WITHOUT taking the methadone? I can understand wanting to be in a safe place, away from family and under medical care - but the methadone is really not a good idea. Seriously, it could make your situation a whole lot worse.

When you detox inpatient, there are other meds (safer ones!) that they can give you to deal with the shakiness and anxiety. I really doubt that all they offer is the methadone!

I completely understand your concerns about finding the "real" you. I've seen this many times with the ladies I work with - the fear of who they are, drug-free. i can tell you this - every single time, I found that that drug-free person is a far more beautiful person than they were when under the influence of a drug. Honestly, you have nothing to fear.

God bless, I'll keep you in my prayers,
    Ruth
    Catrina, freedom11 and GOLDA55 like this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Dear ruth, thank you for your wonderful answer. I spoke to the center today, but did not ask about doing wd without meth, but they did say that they use a small amount..start with 30mg, 20mg,and 10mg and that i won't leave addicted to meth..but they did suggest rehab straight from detox, which i don't think i am covered for and can stay away from family for 28 days..detox is 6 day 3 withdrawal 3 counseling and out. Hope detox is all that i expect it to be and i will feel free!! Love and luck to you