What to expect at a methadone clinic???
    meaghancakes is offline New Member

Default What to expect at a methadone clinic???

I've been addicted to oxycontin for three years. Tomorrow I'm going to the methadone clinic so I can make it through work before I can get a doctor's appointment to discuss suboxone.

Can you tell me the process? I've never been. I'm terrified.
    Last edited by meaghancakes; 09-06-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: need a response

racinmason001 is offline Junior Member
    I live in Hesperia, Ca (Southern California 1hr from L.A.)

Default Oh Man!

Ok first thing is they will ask for money unless you have insurance. (I've not been in yrs though) You will see a doc, drug test and blood test i believe. Then you choose detox or maintanece. Detox is a slow taper obviously. Maintanence is a steady dose for a long period of time. From what I remember thats it! Someone correct me if I'm wrong it has been 4 yrs for me away from methadonia!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by meaghancakes View Post
    I've been addicted to oxycontin for three years. Tomorrow I'm going to the methadone clinic so I can make it through work before I can get a doctor's appointment to discuss suboxone.

Can you tell me the process? I've never been. I'm terrified.

If you are going to do suboxone you don't want to get going on a methadone regimen. At least not for more a couple weeks MAX. You can't start on suboxone if you are taking over 30mg of methadone. It has a terribly long half life and you will have to taper off the methadone to start the suboxone. The slow taper used for methadone detox is counterproductive for what you are saying you want to do. You don't need to do this.

I think you should rethink this if the suboxone is what you want to do. You are jumping from the pan into the fire. By the way I totally agree that suboxone rather than methadone should be what you do. Methadone is NOT for stopping oxy. I have been there. Was taking 30 30mg Roxie a day. Methadone is not necessary. Good luck and God bless.

thank you guys so much i feel a little better now

zenith is offline Junior Member

I agree--methadone is not the best choice for stopping Oxys. If the suboxone does not work you can always do methadone then. I would not get on methadone now--I would wait until you can do the suboxone. Taking methadone is just going to cause you to have a stronger dependency and more potential problems with precipitated withdrawals when starting the suboxone.

If you still want to go to a clinic after hearing all that I can tell you whatever you want to know about it.

i'm just scared of having to go through withdrawals before i can get subo. because i don't have any oxy left

i think i'm still going to the clinic tomorrow even if just for a couple days so i can get through work

i just want to know if i should get there early (i'm planning on it) and if there is any chance i won't be able to get in

If they are expecting you tomorrow there should be reason why they don't give you the methadone. I would be there when the doors open if it was me. Don't wait until the last minute. I don't like to tell people to hide anything from the dr but I would not tell them you are going on suboxone in a few days. Take only a MINIMUM amount of methadone, just enough to cover up the w/d symptoms. Then get OFF the methadone fast and get on the suboxone. You will screw this whole thing up if you stay on the methadone for ANY amount of time beyond a few days. It's a total over-kill and unnecessary. I still can't believe they wanted you to do this. Follow suggestions and you will be fine. Just don't take the methadone but for a few days please for your benefit. Let us know tomorrow afternoon how it went. Good luck and God bless.

just posting here and having someone care enough to respond is helping so much

thank you guys and i will update tomorrow

goodnight

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

I went from the street opiates H, diludid, oxycontin to meth to stop the wd myself. I would never touch meth again unless there was NO way I could get clean, and I mean NO WAY. Meth is the last stop.

I don't understand why they are suggesting this at all.......... Your going to have to be in wd longer before you can began the SUboxone. But..... maybe there are "new way of thinking"...

I waited 40 hours after my last dose of Meth as my doc suggested... in fact he though just 24hours would do it... I waited the rest of the hours on my own and I was thrown into terrible wd. I recently wittiness a friend wait 36 hours detoxing from oxycontin prior to sub induction and it was plenty of time....... he did great. Not sure why you would want to add the extra hours of wd (using meth) before you get relief.

just sharing my experience with the Meth and induction period to sub.

Sister

jennmkillgore is offline Junior Member

Post Good Luck....

I can't say that I agree with everyone saying that Methadone isn't good for getting off of Oxycontin. I was taking 50-60 of the 80mg Oxycontins a day and I tried 6 treatment centers before I found out that Methadone was even available for people like me. I've never even smoked weed, let alone done >>>>>>, not that that makes me any different from any other addict, its just the way it was. Methadone saved my life. I think it is a personal choice as to which treatment you want to go on. I do know that if you go on Suboxone, you have to be in moderate to severe withdrawals when you take your first dose otherwise it won't work the way it is supposed to. I do think if you are choosing suboxone, you should try to hang on until you get in to see the Sub doctor, unless it is going to be weeks and weeks. Methadone is a good treatment when used correctly and not with other substances like Benzos and cocaine. How much Oxy were you on? Also, I have done a lot of research on Suboxone and it seems to be more effective for people with a smaller habit that hasn't been for as long. If you need anything, please feel free to email me at jennmkillgore@gmail.com I did work as a certified Methadone Advocate for a long time. I have been clean with the help of Methadone for six years now and I don't know what I would have done if I never found my clinic.

Default jenmkillgore

No one is saying methadone is not a good medication. But methadone is a last resort. You don't do it short term. It's not the best choice for short term use. Great for longterm maintenance and pain management. But I totally disagree that methadone is the best choice for detoxing off oxy.

I was taking 30 oxy a day myself. You beat me by a few but not many. Had I begun on methadone therapy I would undoubtedly still be using it today I have no doubt. It's just not the best choice for this type of detox. I will not change my opinion on this. You are entitled to your opinion as well. Just please be cautious when advocating something like methadone when all this person wants to do is detox.

Jen.....

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for Methadone for sure. There are some of us who can never go without a opiate of some type for a life time. I may be one of them but going to give clean life a try first. I am no baby sorry to say when it comes to opiates., I am sure I could "out drug" 70% of the poster here when it comes too dope. by no means is this a brag.

Your wrong about suboxone being for only short term addicts. I have been using one type or anther for about 35yrs. I have tried in house rehab 3x and failed to stay clean. So, not sure where you did your research but there are quite a few on this forum that are pure dope addicts and have succeeded with suboxone.

Yes, its a personal choice on how you get clean and the most important thing is getting clean. Who knows what is in store for me... I may end up on some type of opiate for the rest of my life. Being that I work for a living, and have other commitments I don't see me choosing Meth over Sub. The main reason is that I don't ever want to give away my freedom to go on vacation as I chose, travel as I chose, and I don't want to have to go to a clinic daily to be dosed, or three times weekly nor just once a week. If I have to be on a opiate, Sub is the way for me. This is totally at home dosing and I can travel as I please... I could go on the road for 5months without having to plan my trip from clinic to clinic.

Just my experience.

Sister

I went to the clinic (thirty minute drive) only to find out that I couldn't get dosed on a Sunday if I'd never been there before. I could tomorrow but it would be a small dose until Tuesday when the doctor is actually there.

A girl outside suggested I go to the ER and say I have a migraine to get percocet. I can't afford it, and although my mom offered to go with me to do it... I declined. I can't put her in further debt because of this.

So by the time I go to the doctor I will be in enough withdrawal to get suboxone.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack, am sweating profusely, can't sit still or sleep. The only reason I can get through this is because I did it before so I know it's possible. I just can't believe I allowed myself to get to this point again.

I'll update tomorrow. I left a message with five doctors so I should be able to get an appointment with at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by meaghancakes View Post
    I went to the clinic (thirty minute drive) only to find out that I couldn't get dosed on a Sunday if I'd never been there before. I could tomorrow but it would be a small dose until Tuesday when the doctor is actually there.

A girl outside suggested I go to the ER and say I have a migraine to get percocet. I can't afford it, and although my mom offered to go with me to do it... I declined. I can't put her in further debt because of this.

So by the time I go to the doctor I will be in enough withdrawal to get suboxone.

I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack, am sweating profusely, can't sit still or sleep. The only reason I can get through this is because I did it before so I know it's possible. I just can't believe I allowed myself to get to this point again.

I'll update tomorrow. I left a message with five doctors so I should be able to get an appointment with at least one.

Sometimes we receive blessings in disguise. Even though you are feeling horribly I hope this all works out for the best. You won't have to begin on the methadone at all and can go straight to the suboxone. I think that is best for you anyways.

Please read some of the other threads here about using suboxone. It's important to get off on the right foot. Let us know if you have any problems. Good luck and God bless.

went to the doctor

start on suboxone tomorrow

thanks guys

just 24hour left for you ................ pls just try to hang in there. You will not have to wait at all when you get there.. pending on your doc of course. Take hot baths, keep trying to drink flds... hang in there. We are all here for you.

sister

thank you so much

i actually got some sleep in the bath (as dangerous as that is) so that helped

crystal30 is offline New Member

Unhappy Someone please help

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is going to post this since i'm not sure how to post something. i've never done this before.
    Anyhow my question is:
    i have been on oxy's now for over 3 years. I want to get off of them. I was perscribed them for pain from a car accident. I now take way more than I am supposed to. I take probably anywhere from 30-40 40mg tabs daily by chewing them. it is to the point where I barley feel anything off them when I take between 8-10 of them at a time. I am out of them now and I know that come tomorrow I will be in severe withdrawls. There is a methadone clinic here in my town that opens at 7am. I want to go to it so that I can just get off the oxy's all together and not experience the withdrawls but know nothing about it.
    What information do you have to tell them? This is so embarassing.
    Do they make you give them your doctors name? The reason I ask is I don't want my doctor to know that I am not taking them how they are perscribed. I would be humiliated. Can someone please help me with any information on methadone and what I can expect there tomorrow. Also, do they give it to you right away? I just don't want to feel the horrible withdrawls, I can't breath from anxiety and get an extremely depressed feeling and the shakes. It is so horrible.
    Thank you to anyone who can help me.
    Crystal30

NewGuy99 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by crystal30 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is going to post this since i'm not sure how to post something. i've never done this before.
    Anyhow my question is:
    i have been on oxy's now for over 3 years. I want to get off of them. I was perscribed them for pain from a car accident. I now take way more than I am supposed to. I take probably anywhere from 30-40 40mg tabs daily by chewing them. it is to the point where I barley feel anything off them when I take between 8-10 of them at a time.
    Just to clarify, you were taking 320mg-400mg at one single sitting?

And up to 1,600mg of oxy each and every day?

I've never heard of anyone taking that much so that's why I ask.

And if you are taking that much I would imagine the withdrawals are going to be pretty rough to say the least so it might not be a terrible idea to go the methadone clinic to get the bare minimum daily dose to stop your withdrawals until you can see a suboxone doctor.

I don't think your normal doctor will find out but I can't say for sure. And even so, would that be a bad thing? If you're truly looking to stop abusing these it's probably better that your doctor knows.

And how could he not know already if you're doing as many as you say you're doing? Unless you're buying them off the street? If your doctor is prescribing you enough to do up to 1,600mg/day you should find a new doctor as he's not looking after your best interests.

Good luck to you!

Chrystal.......

If you plan to get clean then the Meth program is not the answer.... its consider the last stop and for maintance tx, not for bypassing wd. The meth program will not encourage you to wean either. Meth is for folks that have tried and tried to stay clean and keep shooting dope. Not for the first attempt on getting clean. They dont call it Meth Maintance program for nothing. If you fear wd from Oxy's, you dont want to try it from Meth.

I suggest that you read a few threads here on how folks have quit doping..... then come back and let us know what you decide.

Good luck.

Sister

Do me a favor and read the thread by Melinda. She has been thru exactly what you have....... I just hate to see you be on mmt. It is for lifers. Its a great pain med and definitly has it place for drug addicts. It just that it is the last straw so to speak.

Sister