Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What does a former opiate addict take for real pain?
    Cece123 is offline Member

Default What does a former opiate addict take for real pain?

Hi everyone! This may seem like a silly question (or maybe not) but what does a former opiate addict do when they are in real pain? I have always had a very painful knee. It flares up from time to time and it is excruciating when it starts to throb. Walking, sleeping, sitting, everything is painful. I have tried to take 4 Advil every 4 hours and it does not work. There is a little relief to the pain but not much. I know that I am tearing my liver up with this amount of ibuprofen, not to mention the stomach upset. I have tried Celebrex and it doesn't work either. I broke down yesterday and bummed a Vicodin off of a friend (just one I promise!) just to get some relief. I took it when I got home from work and, bam, the pain was gone. I want so much to order some Tramadol online and take it as recommended-no taking more than necessary but I am scared that I can't be trusted with it in the house. Any advice for arthritis pain relief minus the opiates??

Cats Meow is offline Banned

If you don't want to use drugs consider a TENS unit, they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    If you don't want to use drugs consider a TENS unit, they work.
    What's that??

Cats Meow is offline Banned

TENS stands for Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, if you've ever had PT you've probably had it already. You can get prescribed these, insurance may pay for it, more info here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TENS_device

ShannoMSC is offline New Member

Hi Cece

Maybe i can give abit of advice, Ive had arth in different flavours for 15 years, and im only 26

Mine started in the knee, very painful i know. the swelling was the worst.

As you told me in my post, you have a legit problem. for me it was hard but you have to accept the fact that to get real releif where other methods have failed, you have to use narcs at one point or rather, you have to accept that painkiller dependency and/ or addiction is just another side effect.

Ive never had a problem stopping addiction wise i dont like being on them, as you know its when your body grows to be dependant on it you get sick. Addiction and dependency are 2 different things

As the other fella sayd, try a TENS machine if you havent already. Its a little unit that delivers electric pulses to the affected area via electrode thingies (dont worry it doesnt hurt, unless you crank it all the way first go)

It gives me a bit of releif from the fusing pain, but is not a long lasting thing (for me) give it ago as it does give you releif!

I find ibuprofen really settles my pain down very well, better than any narc i have ever been on. do you know what type of arthur it is?

Thank you Cats Meow and ShannoMSC!!! I have had the TENS done when I was in therapy for my knee. I think that they called it an "E-stem" or something like that. It worked like a charm! I will def. check into that-that would be great!! Can you buy them online or does a doctor have to get one for you?

ShannoMSC, it looks like we are kindred spirits! I have had arthritis in my knee since I was 12 and I am now 37. I had a bad horse riding accident (horse fell onto of me and crunched the old knee). No doctor has ever really told me what the problem is. Two MRI's showed a little arthritis (not sure what kind), a little fluid and severe bone bruising. All doctor's tell me something different so it is very hard to figure out a solution. I have even tried a cortisone shot (OUCH!!!) because I was desperate but it only gave a few weeks worth of relief. I will try the TENS first and see if that will help. If not, looks like I am back on the pain killers Dang I don't want to go there again!!!

Vic_7182 is offline Junior Member

Hello
    I would advise against tramadol. I used it for legit pain (at first). Tramadol has a seritonin type booster in it as well as the pain killer. If taken higher than recomended it causes siezures! I was up to about 15 pills a day. I was at my moms house hanging out and thought I'd have a lil more fun with some pills in me. I pooped about 8 and then sat down to relax. The last thing I remember is setting down, and then I woke up on a stretcher with 2 ambulence drivers above me trying to open my jaw because I was trying to bite my toungue off. I had a gran mall seizure (sorry if spelled wrong). I was in some seriously bad shape and really freaked my mom and sisters out! So the moral of the story is stay away from trams! To be honest the realy don't work well for pain anyway. The thing I liked was the instant antidepressant value of them. Take care and good luck, vic

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_7182 View Post
    Hello
    I would advise against tramadol. I used it for legit pain (at first). Tramadol has a seritonin type booster in it as well as the pain killer. If taken higher than recomended it causes siezures! I was up to about 15 pills a day. I was at my moms house hanging out and thought I'd have a lil more fun with some pills in me. I pooped about 8 and then sat down to relax. The last thing I remember is setting down, and then I woke up on a stretcher with 2 ambulence drivers above me trying to open my jaw because I was trying to bite my toungue off. I had a gran mall seizure (sorry if spelled wrong). I was in some seriously bad shape and really freaked my mom and sisters out! So the moral of the story is stay away from trams! To be honest the realy don't work well for pain anyway. The thing I liked was the instant antidepressant value of them. Take care and good luck, vic
    I toally agree Vic! I was popping them like candy a few just like you were-I was taking 10 a time and am very lucky to be alive. It also landed me in the ER with severe constipation (extremely embarassing!!) and on the last night of my Tramadol party, my vision went all blurry and it stayed that way for 12 hours. Needless to say, it scared the ******** out of me and I was DONE with that!! Done!! The sad part is it is easy to get them (online) and saves time from going to the doctor and asking for pain meds. I always feel like a junkie when I do that even though I know that it is legit. I plan to try the TENS and if that is not successful, then I may suck it up and see the good doctor. Who knows, he might know of a new, non-addictive, non-narcotic pain reliever..........wishful thinking huh? Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cece123 View Post
    Thank you Cats Meow and ShannoMSC!!! I have had the TENS done when I was in therapy for my knee. I think that they called it an "E-stem" or something like that. It worked like a charm! I will def. check into that-that would be great!! Can you buy them online or does a doctor have to get one for you?

ShannoMSC, it looks like we are kindred spirits! I have had arthritis in my knee since I was 12 and I am now 37. I had a bad horse riding accident (horse fell onto of me and crunched the old knee). No doctor has ever really told me what the problem is. Two MRI's showed a little arthritis (not sure what kind), a little fluid and severe bone bruising. All doctor's tell me something different so it is very hard to figure out a solution. I have even tried a cortisone shot (OUCH!!!) because I was desperate but it only gave a few weeks worth of relief. I will try the TENS first and see if that will help. If not, looks like I am back on the pain killers Dang I don't want to go there again!!!
    There are better painkillers out there than Tramal. The thing I found with Endone (probably called something diff where your from, active ingredient is ocycodone) was even though it was stronger, it did not knock me around the way tramal did. after taking oxy and Mscontin for pain releif, Tramal to me seems like a really dirty drug, the way it makes you feel, etc. I am currently on MSContin but am thinking about asking my GP for a change, It isnt doing a very good job at minimising the pain any more, although the up side it doesnt make me feel woozy and stoned.

Thanks for the insight! I agree, there is some that is "off" with Tramadol. My knee feels pretty darn good this morning so I am happy as I can be. I have my Ben Gay patches and my trusty mega knee brace with me so hopefully, the pain is on the down side. For the time being, no pain pill, just ibuprofen! Thank you all for your help!!

Anonymous Guest

Smile I am in the same boat..

Cece,

I am in the same boat I did have a problem with vicodin. I too have really bad knee and feet problems stemming for military service. Feel free to read my story at (Veteran Vicodin Addict). The problem for me is my pain gets to such a high level at times that noting but high doses of opiates seemed to help, meds like vicodin work, they work too well. They give me the pain relief but the addictive properties are so strong in them a person like me has to ask the question is it worth the risk to use them. For me the answer is no...for you who knows only you can answer it.
    I wish they did have a really strong pain med that is not addictive...wishful thinking I guess.
    Keep us posted, I am curious what approach you choose.
    Best Wishes
    AFGSTSAM

Quote Originally Posted by AFSGTSAM View Post
    Cece,

I am in the same boat I did have a problem with vicodin. I too have really bad knee and feet problems stemming for military service. Feel free to read my story at (Veteran Vicodin Addict). The problem for me is my pain gets to such a high level at times that noting but high doses of opiates seemed to help, meds like vicodin work, they work too well. They give me the pain relief but the addictive properties are so strong in them a person like me has to ask the question is it worth the risk to use them. For me the answer is no...for you who knows only you can answer it.
    I wish they did have a really strong pain med that is not addictive...wishful thinking I guess.
    Keep us posted, I am curious what approach you choose.
    Best Wishes
    AFGSTSAM
    Hi AFGSTSAM-I am still at a loss of what to do. I think that there are a lot of us in the same situation! I really do need to go see my doctor and discuss my options with him because I can't live with this pain. The Advil is killing my stomach and is doing me no good. It is so frustrating!! I will keep everyone posted on my decision but thankfully I now know that I am an addict and hopefully can control myself if I have any opiates in my possession. If not, I will right back on this forum asking for help again!

Anonymous Guest

Default They dont help me either..

Yep I tried all the other pain killers, motrin, naproxen, advil and on and on they just dont seem to have the pain killing effect opiates do. For some people who are very very severly ill take them regardless of the addiction but for me I know I cannot control myself if I start using them again.
    Let me know what you find out I am always open to new ideas that actually work.

Thanks,

Eric

klopper22 is offline Member

I got a TENS unit, but unfortunately it didn't work very good.

Man this is frustrating!!!!!!!! I guess that the opiates just numbed my pain for the past year and I forgot how bad it really hurts! I am still hurting and have just stopped taking Advil. There is no use in it since it is not working anyway. I might as well save my liver and tummy since the ibuprofen is useless. I ordered a new knee brace and it should be here tomorrow so I will see if that helps. Pressure does help a little. I promise to keep you all posted on what happens and if I find any relief.

Has anyone ever tried Darvacet? I have taken it before but I felt nothing which would be perfect.

Man this is frustrating!!!!!!!! I guess that the opiates just numbed my pain for the past year and I forgot how bad it really hurts! I am still hurting and have just stopped taking Advil. There is no use in it since it is not working anyway. I might as well save my liver and tummy since the ibuprofen is useless. I ordered a new knee brace and it should be here tomorrow so I will see if that helps. Pressure does help a little. I promise to keep you all posted on what happens and if I find any relief.

Has anyone ever tried Darvacet? I have taken it before but I felt nothing which would be perfect.
    Cece,

Have you got swelling as well? or just pain? exactly how much ibuprofen were you taking?

Quote Originally Posted by ShannoMSC View Post
    Cece,

Have you got swelling as well? or just pain? exactly how much ibuprofen were you taking?

I always get a very small amount of swelling but it is not bad. It feels like there is a wet sponge in between the joints when I walk. There is also pain-always throbbing (a dull ache) with sharp shooting pains on the inside joint. It feels weak too. I am/was taking 4 (800 mg) ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours. I actually have a script for Naprolene (Naproxen) that I totally forgot about it! Would that work??

I always get a very small amount of swelling but it is not bad. It feels like there is a wet sponge in between the joints when I walk. There is also pain-always throbbing (a dull ache) with sharp shooting pains on the inside joint. It feels weak too. I am/was taking 4 (800 mg) ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours. I actually have a script for Naprolene (Naproxen) that I totally forgot about it! Would that work??
    For you, it might. It didnt for me. Ibuprofen worked fo me where all other NSAIDS failed - and Naproxen is just as heavy on the stomach as ibuprofen. Why not goto your doctor and get them to give you a perscription of (not sure what its called where you are - ive got Nexium and Pariet) they are taken to prevent and treat stomach ulcers - i take one a day (or milk/food to line the stomach) with the >>> and have never had stomach (or kidney/liver) issues for that matter

For you, it might. It didnt for me. Ibuprofen worked fo me where all other NSAIDS failed - and Naproxen is just as heavy on the stomach as ibuprofen. Why not goto your doctor and get them to give you a perscription of (not sure what its called where you are - ive got Nexium and Pariet) they are taken to prevent and treat stomach ulcers - i take one a day (or milk/food to line the stomach) with the >>> and have never had stomach (or kidney/liver) issues for that matter

At this point it is worth a shot! I am going to try it in the morning when the ibuprofen is all out of my system. I also found a TEN unit to try so maybe that will help. I also take Adiphex (same as Nexium) daily for acid reflux so I am set as far as that goes. I will keep you posted on the Naproxen! Thanks for your input!!!!!

At this point it is worth a shot! I am going to try it in the morning when the ibuprofen is all out of my system. I also found a TEN unit to try so maybe that will help. I also take Adiphex (same as Nexium) daily for acid reflux so I am set as far as that goes. I will keep you posted on the Naproxen! Thanks for your input!!!!!
    No worries mate. Its a constant bloody juggle with meds, it sh*ts me

No worries mate. Its a constant bloody juggle with meds, it sh*ts me
    Amen to that!! I found my Naproxene and just took one. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!! God bless all of you!

Default Naproxene down the hatch!

OK guys and gals-I just took 2 of my 375mg Naproxene (Naprolen) so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will help out. No knee brace on right now and I feel like my knee may cave it. It is a very odd sensation. However, I will keep you posted on the Naproxene and if it helps. Only effect so far is my stomach hurts.

PS-Hubby brought a TEN unit home to try tonight-looking forward to being pampered.

Anonymous Guest

Default Let me know if it helped..

I tried Naproxen many time it is almost the same thing as motrin didnt help much. The military put me through physical therapy years ago and used a TENS unit on my feet it helped for a short while but it is not a long term fix, then again if it gives you some relief go for it !!
    Darvocet is an opiate and addictive it is a weak version of most other opiate drugs.
    I am curious how all this works for you I look forward to your next post.

Eric

I tried Naproxen many time it is almost the same thing as motrin didnt help much. The military put me through physical therapy years ago and used a TENS unit on my feet it helped for a short while but it is not a long term fix, then again if it gives you some relief go for it !!
    Darvocet is an opiate and addictive it is a weak version of most other opiate drugs.
    I am curious how all this works for you I look forward to your next post.

Eric

Hi Eric,

The Naproxene worked like a charm! I have absolutely no pain whatsoever. It is a prescription strength of Aleve. Unfortunately, it really tore my stomach up-ick! I took them at 8am and now it is 6pm and I am finally feeling a touch better (stomach wise) but have no knee pain. So now I have to decide what is worse, the pain or the nausea and diarrhea. Honestly, I think that I will take the pain anyday over the stomach issues. I plan to pick up some OTC Aleve and try that. It is probably not as potent and should work just as well as my prescription Naproxene. At least I know now that I can do this without narcotics!!

Anonymous Guest

Smile Great !!

That is great if the Naproxen helps then use it...I am thinking that after a few days or so maybe your stomach will get used to it especially if you eat when you take it. I am still searching for that magic pill that helps with the pain and will not turn me into a pill popper again.
    Let me know if you get used to the Naproxen.

Best Wishes

Eric

That is great if the Naproxen helps then use it...I am thinking that after a few days or so maybe your stomach will get used to it especially if you eat when you take it. I am still searching for that magic pill that helps with the pain and will not turn me into a pill popper again.
    Let me know if you get used to the Naproxen.

Best Wishes

Eric
    I will let you know how it goes. Currently I have zero pain so I don't plan on taking it. I will save it for the painful days. I also took 2 375mgs with breakfast but should have probably just taken one. At least I will know next time!

I hope that you will find relief from your pain too. One thing that I have wanted to say to you for awhile is THANK YOU for serving this country and providing the safety for my loved ones and I every day of the year. If it weren't for our brave troops, we would all be in terrible trouble! To me, a soldier is a hero and deserves everyone's gratitude for the sacrifices that they make on a daily basis for protecting the good US of A and all of her people. So thank you and all of our soldiers from the bottom of my heart! You are all heroes to me

Dont wait for it to get sore again - get it in your system (if you can) to keep the pain down and the NSAIDS up

kevchel is offline New Member

dude dont know what to say i have been away from a needle now for 10 years and had the same problem as you when i have a pain i go to the doc tell them i was a addict for over 20 years and ask them what to do if they give me a script i get it and have my wife hide it good luck to you i understand god be with you

Anonymous Guest

Talking Pain Free GREAT !

Cece,

You are pain free now that is great ! My feet and knee pains come and go. There could be 2 or even 3 weeks of feeling fine then poof all of a sudden I have a bad flare up and I am in agony for a week or more. One thing about NSAIDS like Motrin or Naproxen, they can help if you take them quick..the minute you feel a slight twinge of pain take it right away. Once the pain becomes severe they dont help as much.
    Serving in the military all those years was a privilage for me, I loved the travel, adventure, serving my country and the experiences. I would never trade away that time in my and my families life for anything. Thank you for your kind words they mean a lot to all of us veterans and those still serving.
    I am just happy that after my military service I am still able to help my fellow vets by working for the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Thank You and keep us posted on your progress I hope your pain problems remain minimal.

Eric

sophie7780 is offline New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this thread and I know I'm coming in at the end of it all, but I didn't see anyone suggesting two meds that might help with arthritis pain and inflammation. One is a powerful anti-inflammatory called indomethacin, and the other is actually an anti-depressant that doctors are prescribing for treatment of chronic pain called Cymbalta. Just thought I'd add my two cents...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast